Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I watched Evil Dead Trap and Evil Dead Trap 2. I liked both but 2 was the stand out for me.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I don't love that the film reads as woman has abortion, goes crazy but that might be incorrect, the film is so dreamlike and surreal it's a bit tough to get a grip on its reality.

There is some cultural stuff that is lost in translation here. Mizuko is a Japanese term for aborted and miscarried babies. There is a Buddhist ritual called Mizuko Kuyo that serves as a memorial service for them. It can be a way to deal with grief or guilt, but also fend off the ghosts of angry fetuses. When abortions became more prevalent and popular in japan, this ritual did as well. You could go to a temple, pay a fee, and they would provide and display a Jizo statue. In the 80s you could read a magazine telling some scary stories about real life Mizuko attacks, and you can see where this is going, and find advertisements for temples that would provide this service.

Anyway my read is the Mizuko ultimately feels incidental to the killings? Its a supernatural catalyst but Aki and Emi's weird relationship and how they feed into each other feels like the real core to what is going on. Aki wants to be desire and loved but doesn't let herself be upfront about it, wishes she could be like Emi who this is natural to. Emi on the other hand wants to use Aki to fufil what she got out of her idol career, a sense of superiority over those who want to be her. Neither ever really get what they want out of the other. Every time Aki kills its when she emulates Aki. They remotely have sexual experiences with each other. Emi seeks to get what she wants from Aki by using glasses creep. But Aki's killings end up robbing Emi of this superiority since she ends up getting off on them. In the end its Emi who begins to emulate Aki by becoming a killer.

The Mizuko seems to be just taking advantage of this toxic dynamic to be reborn. Also feels representative of how Aki's desire to be loved is undercut by her refusal to love others. Which is weird in a sense that it suggests "hey ladies if you want to be loved, don't abort your babies" but it also ties into the Emi stuff again since she never love her in the way she wanted. I dunno, interesting movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I should give Evil Dead Trap 2 another chance, I didn't care for it at all even though it should've been right up my alley and lots of people who tastes generally align with mine seem to really like it. I found it kind of dull and the characters annoying but maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I live in Western PA, I've got Kennywood Phantom Fright Nights as my major haunted attraction but we also have Hundred Acre Manor and The Scarehouse which are absolutely incredible. Hundred Acre Manor is on par or above anything I've done at Universal; just completely wild set design and costumes. Scarehouse used to be on par with that but I haven't gone in a few years.

Down to what age would you say these are appropriate? I live in pittsburgh too and my kids would love a haunted house, but they're 6 and 9.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Last year I visited my brother-in-law in semi-rural Virginia. There was a local farm that had a haunted house and also a corn maze you could do at night.

The haunted house was pretty good. However, that loving corn maze. We got like 3/4 of the way through and literally couldn't figure out how to get out. The only lights were from the farm like 300 yards away. We were backtracking and trying the same paths over and over and just kept ending up back where we started. We did that for like an hour before we finally just turned around and went back the way we came in. I still can't believe we got lost in a corn maze, but it was freaky as hell.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

gey muckle mowser posted:

it’s not. The opening scene with Brad Dourif is the only good part

I remember the sequel having a really weird structure to it, like it was made by someone that didn't quite understand how a movie is supposed to progress.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I absolutely cannot do certain textures and vibes when it comes to haunted houses, and I am weirdly deathly afraid of animatronics and things that make sudden noise. It sucks really liking horror and Halloween but also having very specific difficult-to-explain hangups that often have to do with decorations. I can't even go inside a Spirit Halloween. All that to say that the one time I went to a haunted house/trail with scream actors I actually loved it but because it was dark I kinda freaked out physically and had to hold my hands over my ears and around my eyes like horse blinders :lol: Internally I was having an awesome time because I was with a fun group and there was this AWESOME attraction that was patterned after Friday the 13th, ANoES, and TCM, and it ended with us getting chased by Leatherface through a meat locker, but if you were to see me you'd think I was loving miserable. Gotta love being neurodivergent.

I'm willing to brave it all over again this year with my partner, who adores haunted houses. I'll probably enjoy the movie-themed house even more if they do it again now that I've actually seen a bunch of them!

As for being sensitive to portrayals of things in film, I definitely think that if a film wants to be cruel or miserable or heavy on the torture it is a fine line for me. I don't really like the Saw films past the first, The Collector was interesting but the ending was a little too shaggy dog (and yet I weirdly want to see the sequel), and I haaaaaated the idea of The Mist and Drag Me To Hell growing up and refused to watch them until very recently. And yet I loved Hereditary and The Loved Ones :shrug: It is an unquantifiable mystery.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Criterion Channel is also putting up a 90s Horror collection for October.

quote:

DEF BY TEMPTATION, James Bond III, 1990
THE EXORCIST III, William Peter Blatty, 1990
FRANKENHOOKER, Frank Henenlotter, 1990
BODY PARTS, Eric Red, 1991
THE RAPTURE, Michael Tolkin, 1991
DUST DEVIL, Richard Stanley, 1992
WHEN A STRANGER CALLS BACK, Fred Walton, 1993
IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, John Carpenter, 1994
THE ADDICTION, Abel Ferrara, 1995
TALES FROM THE CRYPT: DEMON KNIGHT, Ernest R. Dickerson, 1995
RAVENOUS, Antonia Bird, 1999

You could do a challenge month solely off of their offerings and have a great time.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Lumbermouth posted:

Criterion Channel is also putting up a 90s Horror collection for October.

You could do a challenge month solely off of their offerings and have a great time.

That playlist feels like it's acknowledging a dearth of good horror in the late 90s

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Deadite posted:

That playlist feels like it's acknowledging a dearth of good horror in the late 90s

Doesn't have Candyman, doesn't have Tremors, doesn't have Scream, doesn't have Bride of Chucky, doesn't get Event Horizon until December... an absolutely mid list.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The ending of When a Stranger Calls Back is infuriating.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Def by Temptation is one of the greatest films of the 20th century

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I absolutely cannot do certain textures and vibes when it comes to haunted houses, and I am weirdly deathly afraid of animatronics and things that make sudden noise. It sucks really liking horror and Halloween but also having very specific difficult-to-explain hangups that often have to do with decorations. I can't even go inside a Spirit Halloween. All that to say that the one time I went to a haunted house/trail with scream actors I actually loved it but because it was dark I kinda freaked out physically and had to hold my hands over my ears and around my eyes like horse blinders :lol: Internally I was having an awesome time because I was with a fun group and there was this AWESOME attraction that was patterned after Friday the 13th, ANoES, and TCM, and it ended with us getting chased by Leatherface through a meat locker, but if you were to see me you'd think I was loving miserable. Gotta love being neurodivergent.

I'm willing to brave it all over again this year with my partner, who adores haunted houses. I'll probably enjoy the movie-themed house even more if they do it again now that I've actually seen a bunch of them!

As for being sensitive to portrayals of things in film, I definitely think that if a film wants to be cruel or miserable or heavy on the torture it is a fine line for me. I don't really like the Saw films past the first, The Collector was interesting but the ending was a little too shaggy dog (and yet I weirdly want to see the sequel), and I haaaaaated the idea of The Mist and Drag Me To Hell growing up and refused to watch them until very recently. And yet I loved Hereditary and The Loved Ones :shrug: It is an unquantifiable mystery.

It's normal to have specific preferences when it comes to haunted houses. With the more old school haunted houses, I will go through it and circle right around to go through it again. But the more intensive ones where you have to crawl through sections or they grab you, nope NOPE noooope. I never understood the allure McKamey Manor had.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
From what I've read, McKamey seems categorically different from pretty much any other haunted house. It seems like it's basically some pervert barely managing to not get sued into oblivion.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

I wouldn't call it getting softer, but more as time goes on and we get more life experience, our horror tastes can potentially change. For example, I've always worried about the animals in horror films, but when it came to things happening to small children, I didn't particularly care. But then I had kids and that all changed. I don't know if it's the pregnancy hormones did a number to my head, or I had a greater empathy on here's this baby or toddler who completely depends on you for everything and is helpless after having my own and there we go. Teens, I'm fine with whatever happens because I've been around more than enough bratty ones.

I don't have any children, so whether it's my accumulated life experience, my relationship with my nieces and nephews, or some kind of time release parental instinct, I dunno.

Anyway, Talk to Me was really good! One thing I wasn't clear on was did the protagonist jump onto the highway herself, or was she pushed or something? I'm pretty sure she jumped, but I don't know what doing so would accomplish, aside from an attempt to just escape the whole situation.

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 21, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

From what I've read, McKamey seems categorically different from pretty much any other haunted house. It seems like it's basically some pervert barely managing to not get sued into oblivion.

Someone on the forums linked to a youtuber going to McKamey manor, which turned into an ongoing series. Interesting if you can stomach the youtuber. long story short, the manor itself is compete bullshit and doesn't actually exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mjwoLYGr0

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Halloween Jack posted:

I think it was in Haunters: Art of the Scare that covered some of the various extreme haunted houses, and there were some that featured nudity, live bugs crawling on attendees, and other things. McKamey was something on another messed up level. Not sure how legit it is, but last I heard it looks like he's fading into obscurity with barely having attendees. Considering how much of a narcissist he is, that should be a decent amount of suffering for him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

long story short, the manor itself is compete bullshit and doesn't actually exist
I love all the commenters saying that Russ just didn't show him the real haunted house because he figured him out!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Def by Temptation is one of the greatest films of the 20th century

so is Ravenous

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is there a Fangsgiving?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remembered yesterday that near me there's a heritage railway with the rights to a 14-km stretch of the old Canadian Pacific line that does a haunted train ride

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just saw that Fantastic Fest is screening a restoration of THE JAR (1988), wondered what the hell that was all about and realized it was featured on Best of the Worst.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phy posted:

I remembered yesterday that near me there's a heritage railway with the rights to a 14-km stretch of the old Canadian Pacific line that does a haunted train ride

O holy poo poo I need to go to Canada.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
There was a place near here called Zombie Rampage where you would buy a ticket to sit on a bus and shoot paintballs at actors dressed as zombies. I have no idea what kind of person takes a job where they will be shot with paintballs all night.

Anyway it got terrible reviews and only lasted two years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1VX0534U80

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Phy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZfKVmeuawk

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Tired: Defeating the Phantom Train with a Phoenix Down
Wired: Defeating the Phantom Train with a Suplex
Inspired: Defeating the Phantom Train with Interceptor

Edit: Or, to be more on topic, this old throwback: https://ghostbustersiii-.ytmnd.com/

Class3KillStorm fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 21, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

I wouldn't call it getting softer, but more as time goes on and we get more life experience, our horror tastes can potentially change. For example, I've always worried about the animals in horror films, but when it came to things happening to small children, I didn't particularly care. But then I had kids and that all changed. I don't know if it's the pregnancy hormones did a number to my head, or I had a greater empathy on here's this baby or toddler who completely depends on you for everything and is helpless after having my own and there we go. Teens, I'm fine with whatever happens because I've been around more than enough bratty ones.

I haven't noticed it yet, but my kid is a toddler now and I can start to feel the IC increasing sensitivity to seeing children in peril.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel bad for teens more because I became hyper aware of my mortality around that time lmao

I didn’t have the “I can’t die I’m invincible” feeling at all lol

I thought every night before I went to bed I was going to die. Or be abducted by aliens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I feel bad for teens more because I became hyper aware of my mortality around that time lmao

I didn’t have the “I can’t die I’m invincible” feeling at all lol

I thought every night before I went to bed I was going to die. Or be abducted by aliens.

The awareness of mortality is probably what made horror so engaging for me during those years though. Like, that fear is I think what made it possible for horror movies to legitimately scare me back then and why it's so hard for them to effect me the same way now that I'm inching closer to 40 years old. The idea of getting killed when I was like 12 or 13 or 14 when I hadn't even had a proper chance at life was very very scary to me. Now I'm like ehhhhh I've kinda reached my peak in life and it's all downhill from here so it's hard to care as much.

Which is probably why having kids of your own can replenish that fear. You just transfer the fear you had for yourself onto your kids.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s hard for me to get scared because half the time I see someone getting ripped apart I’m deconstructing it in my head how they did it and trying to steal or realize why it didn’t work lol

But to me this is fun.

But yeah sometimes I do feel for the characters and am nervous for their safety.

Green room especially.

It’s a horror movie. I’ve never felt such terror in a movie because it felt so real. Wandering on an old dive bar and it’s a den for nazis. Ick

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Burbs is a comedy with Tom Hanks until you turn 40 then it becomes a horror movie.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

I haven't noticed it yet, but my kid is a toddler now and I can start to feel the IC increasing sensitivity to seeing children in peril.

I tried watching Pet Sematary a couple years after my kid was born and that funeral scene hits different, lol.

Parenthood fucks up your brain.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s hard for me to get scared because half the time I see someone getting ripped apart I’m deconstructing it in my head how they did it and trying to steal or realize why it didn’t work lol

But to me this is fun.

But yeah sometimes I do feel for the characters and am nervous for their safety.

Green room especially.

It’s a horror movie. I’ve never felt such terror in a movie because it felt so real. Wandering on an old dive bar and it’s a den for nazis. Ick

drat, this is me 100%. My wife can't watch gore but it's hard for me to accept that the people on screen aren't actors and the gore is all special effects.

Except for Green Room and Blue Ruin, those movies were so intense I had to take breaks and go for a walk to calm down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yah that’s why I love gore so much. It’s the craft of it.

Seeing a real corpse? Hell no no thank you. Bothers me for days.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

For me it really depends on what it is. Real life animal death or torture is an instant nope from me except in very rare cases like Apocalypse Now where they were killing a cow to eat anyway, but stuff like Cannibal Holocaust is offensive to me because making some lovely movie isn't worth several animal's lives.

As far as sexual violence goes, there's more nuance. Something like I Spit on Your Grave disgusts me and makes me feel nauseous in real life because of how egregious and unrelenting it is. Stuff like Evil Dead Trap doesn't bother me nearly as much because it's so untethered from reality that it becomes cartoonish. It also helps that from what I understand, all the women with nude scenes in that movie were veteran adult film actresses, so there's less of a chance that someone was coerced into doing something they didn't want to do.

Gore usually doesn't bother me because as someone else said, my brain immediately goes to "Huh, how'd they do THAT?"

All that being said, it all really comes down to vibes mostly. Some gory or sexually explicit horror movies just feel embarrassing to watch to me. Like with this movie Spine I watched last year, it was very clear that the director was horny for rope bondage, so the whole thing felt like walking in on a stranger jacking it. Movies where the point is just to show shocking poo poo always do nothing for me as well because there's nothing more embarrassing than when someone is trying to offend.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The Burbs is a comedy with Tom Hanks until you turn 40 then it becomes a horror movie.

ditto The Money Pit lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

speaking of which, anybody got any favorite Yuppie Horror? I've always loved Pacific Heights.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

American psycho lol

I’m basic

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Nothing But Trouble

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve absolutely softened over my lifetime. I was never a gore hound or anything but there’s plenty of movies or tropes that amused me when I was younger that I have no patience for now. Pet Sematary is absolutely a film I used to love that I can’t watch anymore. Or at least don’t want to. At the same time I started out a lot less into the more hardcore or trashy or violent stuff so to some extent I haven’t gotten more sensitive, I’ve just gotten older and crankier about putting up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i don't know that i've softened but yeah, getting older means you know more people that have experienced various injuries or tragedies (if you're lucky enough not to have experienced them yourself) and i think it's fair to say that that makes those things hit harder because you understand them more.