Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/RougeMatisse/status/1704521302650843606

I guess effective long COVID treatments must be imminent, then.

is nature's booster a treatment for long covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hey people without insurance looking to get shot up: check if nearby county health departments run vaccine clinics.

Some of them “took the offramp”, but some are still running.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Hey people without insurance looking to get shot up: check if nearby county health departments run vaccine clinics.

Some of them “took the offramp”, but some are still running.

https://www.alleghenycounty.us/Health-Department/Health-Services/Infectious-Disease-Immunization-Program/Immunization-Clinic.aspx

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lmao O.K. the public health situation is even sadder than I thought

https://www.denverhealth.org/patients-visitors/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccination/walk-up-covid-19-vaccinations

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's wastewater update covering the past three months using the state's downloadable excel report and supplemented with scaled National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) data when available. Solid lines are from WADoH data and white diamond dots applied to scale are from most recent CDC/NWSS data (if available).

I've distributed 30 sewersheds across 5 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. See the tables below each image for definitions of WADoH IDs, Date last sampled, Trend (based on change between the averages of the two most recent weeks measured), and Service Area for city names/regions.

Bold lines are new since previous update.

Northwest Washington

pre:
Northwest Washington
County:		ID:	Date:	Trend:	Service Area:
Island		COUP	Sep-15	UP	Coupeville
Island		OH	Sep-11	STEADY	Oak Harbor
Jefferson	PT	Sep-13	STEADY	Port Townsend
Mason		HP	Sep-12	DOWN	Rustlewood, Shelton
Whatcom		LYN	Sep-14	UP	Lynden
King + Snohomish

pre:
King + Snohomish
King		BWT	Sep-12	DOWN	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	Sep-12	DOWN	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	Sep-10	DOWN	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	Sep-13	DOWN	Lynnwood
Snohomish	ARL	Sep-13	DOWN	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	Sep-12	DOWN	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	Sep-12	UP	Stanwood
Southwest Washington

pre:
Southwest Washington
Clark		MRPK	Sep-13	UP	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK	Sep-13	UP	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	Sep-13	STEADY	Vancouver Westside
Pierce		CC	Sep-15	UP	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	Sep-14	STEADY	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	Sep-13	DOWN	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		KEN	Aug-07	n/a	Kennewick
Benton		WRCH	Sep-14	STEADY	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	Sep-14	STEADY	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	Sep-13	UP	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	Sep-14	UP	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	Sep-11	UP	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	Sep-14	DOWN	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	Sep-15	DOWN	Pasco
Spokane		RP	Sep-15	UP	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	Sep-15	UP	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	Sep-13	STEADY	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	Sep-15	DOWN	Pullman

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/friesein/status/1704714703560224787?s=46

I have no idea what’s going on anymore

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I might just be showing up at Walgreens on Friday then

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I’ll get moth juice at this point, why not

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

Same

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer Serf posted:

has anyone successfully used an at home test with poopoo?? for science?

Is a negative result success?

cr0y posted:

Fine, gently caress it, I did the thing. It doesn't work. Someone inform the FDA and CDC. I need to have a drink and shower now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Twitter’s nonchronological feeds are a trash fire but also funny sometimes.

https://twitter.com/DrPaulOffit/status/1404795507445321734
https://twitter.com/DrPaulOffit/status/1465310636175511558

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

The Oldest Man posted:

I wonder if chronically ill billionaires would suddenly decide to provide for the chronically ill poor or if, instead, they would grind the poor up into a paste and spread it on themselves in the hopes of a cure

Which of these two scenarios seems more likely

Hmmm

What is intravenous immune globulin (IVIG)?
Human immune globulin is composed of antibodies: Y-shaped proteins produced by B cells that are used by the body’s immune system to identify and neutralize foreign objects such as bacteria and viruses. IVIG is IG purified from plasma by a manufacturing process called fractionation and administered intravenously to patients.

https://www.admabiologics.com/science-tech/plasma-ivig

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

paxlovid side effects are terrible !! ah it’s all so horrible :(

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
just in time for free tests!

excess deaths report from the CDC is being mothballed next week

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

I dunno if that's better or worse than them quietly adjusting the baseline so there's no excess. I guess it's better but that doesn't matter much.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

fosborb posted:

They still haven't done the life expectancy numbers yet right?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

euphronius posted:

paxlovid side effects are terrible !! ah it’s all so horrible :(

That's why I always suggest grabbing a bag of Werthers when you pick up your course of Paxlovid from the pharmacy. It'll help with the metal taste.

Also eat some avocado or cucumbers or any other food that's alkaline, It'll help with the heartburn if you happen to have that.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

They still haven't done the life expectancy numbers yet right?

“It’s less”
—The CDC

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

this is some real poo poo

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

(..)

Case numbers
COVID Hospitalizations
COVID Deaths
Excess Deaths
Life expectancy
Relative C-SPAM COVID thread post count

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
We even lost the Yankee Candle Index with these newer variants :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

What if we do neither, Dr. Paul?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Just a bit of a bumpy start is all.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4214770-new-covid-vaccine-campaign-off-to-a-bumpy-start/ posted:

New COVID vaccine campaign off to a bumpy start

The launch of the newly approved COVID-19 vaccines, the first campaign since the federal pandemic emergency ended, is off to a bumpy start.

Reports are piling up of insured Americans being stuck with the nearly $200 bill for shots, which were approved last week. The new vaccines are designed to protect against new strains of the coronavirus and are recommended for everyone older than 6 months.

While the Biden administration has scrambled to make the shots accessible to uninsured Americans, it’s unclear whether current supply will meet demand.

Anyone with health insurance — either through private insurers or federal programs like Medicare and Medicaid — should be able to receive the new COVID vaccines for free.

But that’s not always happening
, according to news reports and complaints on social media. As CBS News reported, the vaccines have new billing codes, and insurers are still updating their plans to cover the shots.

Major health insurance providers, including Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna and Kaiser Permanente, said they planned to cover the COVID-19 shots as routine vaccinations when reached for comment by The Hill. Providers like Cigna and Anthem did not immediately respond when reached for comment or deferred inquiries to AHIP, the health insurance trade association.

“Health insurance providers are working with the federal government and pharmacy and provider partners to ensure that everyone has access to ACIP-recommended vaccines, without cost sharing,” AHIP said in a statement to The Hill.

“The new vaccine formulations mark the first time that the COVID-19 vaccines are available without being purchased/distributed by the federal government.”

Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra received his updated COVID shot at a CVS Pharmacy in Washington on Wednesday to encourage vaccine uptake and promote the availability of vaccines through pharmacies.

While taking questions from reporters, Becerra acknowledged accounts of insured individuals having to pay out-of-pocket. The secretary said any claims that insurers aren’t covering the shots are “not correct.”

“Please make sure you’re talking to your insurance company because. You should be covered by law
. If you are insured, you are covered for COVID. If you are on Medicare, you are covered. If you are on Medicaid, you are covered and if you don’t have insurance — through this Bridge Access program — you are covered,” Becerra said.

He also encouraged insured customers to speak with their pharmacists because they may be able to clear up any confusion.

“We’ve contacted the insurers and contacted the pharmacists and we’re working with them to make sure everyone understands how this works,” Becerra said.

For the uninsured, the Biden administration has quickly expanded pathways to deliver COVID-19 vaccinations. The initiative, called the Bridge Access Program, will distribute vaccines through community health centers, local health departments and pharmacies.

There were initial concerns that contracts with pharmacies in the Bridge program — CVS, Walgreens and eTrueNorth — might not be finalized until October, but the CDC announced last week that existing contracts had been modified to offer the shots in areas with low coverage and access.

HHS estimates more than 20,000 retail pharmacy locations across the U.S. will offer no-cost vaccinations through this Bridge program, scheduled to run until December 2024.

But community health centers and local health departments are also adjusting to a COVID response without the federal funds they enjoyed during the pandemic to help administer doses.

According to Lori Freeman, CEO of the National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), health centers lack both the resources and the supply that they previously benefited from.

“There will be about 6 million vaccines available and those initial vaccines are targeted towards the uninsured and underinsured folks through what is called the Bridge Program,” Freeman said.

“Three million will be available to state and local health departments through federally qualified health centers and through the regional community health centers. And so there’s going to be less vaccines and there are about 25 million total uninsured people in the country right now. So you can easily do the math.”

Health stakeholders are also still unclear on what level of demand they should anticipate for the shots, though Freeman said member departments within her organization have been receiving increasing rates of phone calls about obtaining a vaccine since the CDC approved them.

HHS has not disclosed how many vaccines will be made available through the Bridge program, and Becerra did not provide a figure when asked directly about quantity on Wednesday.

“This is a billion-plus dollar program. As I said, you don’t have to pay out of pocket for your vaccine but it is not … it’s not cost-free. There are costs to making a vaccine available,” he said.

The secretary said the CDC will be paying a similar price per vaccine dose as it did in the past. The federal government previously paid roughly $20 per dose for the first round of coronavirus immunizations. The updated vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna are priced at $120 and $129, respectively, on the commercial market.

Many health departments may not be able to cover the costs of these newer formulations, according to Freeman, even with reimbursements.

“Some of the challenges we’re seeing specifically with the local health departments’ involvement are that there are some billing issues with the vaccine in that the reimbursement available to local health departments is less than the cost of the vaccine,” Freeman said.

She noted one reimbursement rate she has been told of is $65 for every $120 dose.

Freeman added not all the doses allocated for the Bridge program will be immediately available, so health departments in areas with high rates of uninsured individuals may contend with low supply as manufacturers and distributors get the medicine out.

Still, Becerra projected confidence in vaccine access, saying that these early hiccups will be overcome soon.

“We’ve been working with the insurers for months and the pharmacist for months. We had to reach contracts with the various stakeholders. So, everyone’s known but sometimes whether it’s a computer glitch or maybe something else, something can get in the way,” said Becerra. “My sense is that these are glitches that will be addressed pretty quickly.”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the commercial market !!! hahaha. . knowledgeable consumers carefully choosing which vaccine based on efficacy and cost

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

$120 and $129? Then why the gently caress are people being charged $190~210 for?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

the commercial market !!! hahaha. . knowledgeable consumers carefully choosing which vaccine based on efficacy and cost

Our objective is to continue to increase accessibility and decrease costs. Should we just give one to every American? Then what — then what happens if you — if every American has one booster? How much does that cost, and then what happens after that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

probably the fee to administer it

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

$120 and $129? Then why the gently caress are people being charged $190~210 for?

Complimentary service fee.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
our 6th grader took his MAP-M test earlier this week and his teacher told the class it was totally fine if anyone got an average 4th grader score because "no one learned anything in the past 3 years."

and like, yes, but not in that way

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh so we're just tipping them for their excellent services okay but I feel like that the pharmacist isn't going to get that money, but it'll just go to the boss

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

our 6th grader took his MAP-M test earlier this week and his teacher told the class it was totally fine if anyone got an average 4th grader score because "no one learned anything in the past 3 years."

and like, yes, but not in that way

Lockdowns
:negative:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Oh so we're just tipping them for their excellent services okay but I feel like that the pharmacist isn't going to get that money, but it'll just go to the boss

You misunderstand. You are tipping the boss.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

icantfindaname posted:

I might just be showing up at Walgreens on Friday then

I just called my two local Walgreens - I'm in the Bronx - and one had no idea what I was talking about (but did say they were getting more than just the Moderna they carry now in mid-October and to try again then) and the other knew what I was talking about but said they - at least their individual location - had no plans to carry it insofar as she knew.
I mean obviously, assuming it's not some kind of massively long drive for you or something, couldn't hurt to check, but if my experiences are any indication I wouldn't expect much.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Pingui posted:

Case numbers
COVID Hospitalizations
COVID Deaths
Excess Deaths
Life expectancy
Relative C-SPAM COVID thread post count

We still have the most reliable metric of all: how the media and politicians are (not) talking about it. When they're not talking about COVID, we know that things are bad. When they are talking about COVID, things are very bad. When they are talking about COVID in a way that shows clear concern or a sense of urgency, we know things are extremely bad.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

remember folks, normal death rates at the beginning of 2020 for the US was around 7700 deaths a day

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Bastard Tetris posted:

someone give me the lowdown on the novavax? moth juice?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

someone give me the lowdown on the novavax? moth juice?

moth eggs and tree bark instead of fancy pants expensive mRNA nanotech.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

cool. need to get a flu vax for the fall too so maybe i can mmmmmmultishot this week

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Platystemon posted:

Is a negative result success?

we need a larger n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Tbh, I'm not sold on moth juice. How's its supposed to protect against a bat virus seeing as how bats are moths #1 predator. It's totally counterintuitive