Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think part of this is just how much that stage in life has shifted since the early 90's. 40 is the new 30, or whatever. Another one of the ways that the good seasons are neat little time capsules.

That’s true. In the 90s their home life was meant to be one of a struggling family and it didn’t seem incredibly off (at least in the early/mid 90s). In the 2020s, there is no way the family could afford Marge not to have a job, and they would be renting.

DaveWoo posted:

There was also that period of time where Barney was sober.

That must be where I dropped off the show, I knew they kept to his sobriety for multiple episodes but had no idea he since fell off the wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah there’s little character things that stick eg Selma’s baby or skinner and krabapples relationship, but directly talking about the previous few episodes in this way seems like a new weird thing at this point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Halisnacks posted:

That’s true. In the 90s their home life was meant to be one of a struggling family and it didn’t seem incredibly off (at least in the early/mid 90s). In the 2020s, there is no way the family could afford Marge not to have a job, and they would be renting.

Counterpoint: there's no way they could afford for Marge to have a job because her earning power is definitely below what child care would be costing them.

If you age them up to around 45 their financial situation kind of works where Homer lucked his way into a STEM job at the tail end of the 20th century labor market and just sort of failed his way up until everyone forgets he's even there but he's making six figures without really doing anything.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

The worst episode is the one where Meg becomes a born again Christian and tries to convert seth macfarlane's self insert character Brian at a book burning.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh yeah I remember that one, Brian says since
Meg is so ugly god must not exist or something. Bad ep

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
He says something like "Why would God give you a mom as hot as Lois and make you look like Peter?"

edit:

Busters posted:

The worst episode is the one where Meg becomes a born again Christian and tries to convert seth macfarlane's self insert character Brian at a book burning.

I would argue that the episode where Lois becomes an anti-vaxxer is worse, especially considering the uncomfortably unnatural dialogue

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 14, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like the "Meg is hideously ugly" thing was supposed to be this sort of meta-joke about how she's voiced by Mila Kunis, who is obviously very attractive, then they just kept going with it because more = funny. And now, Conway Twitty!!!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like the "Meg is hideously ugly" thing was supposed to be this sort of meta-joke about how she's voiced by Mila Kunis, who is obviously very attractive, then they just kept going with it because more = funny. And now, Conway Twitty!!!

It was originally a semi subversive joke because of the hot sister/daughter common sit com convention

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

I would argue that the episode where Lois becomes an anti-vaxxer is worse, especially considering the uncomfortably unnatural dialogue

Ithink the born again episode has even more aggreious and blatant strawmanning and as hatty pointed out, the resolution to the plot was one of the worst counterarguments possible.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Naw the worst one is the one where were Meg finally confronts the family about their abuse and makes them realize how awful they are. But then at the end she sees them fighting each other and decides to let them abuse her again as like a lightning rod for their aggression. Brian tells her it's a noble decision.

That being said I still watch and enjoy Family Guy even if the current millennial writers have taken too much of the edge off (woke)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Meg is an 'interesting' character. It was funny at first to have her be the family's punching bag, but after 20+ seasons it gets pretty stale. It's also implied multiple times that she has something incestual going on with Chris, which is disturbing even as a gag.

Wait what show was this thread about again

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halisnacks posted:

That must be where I dropped off the show, I knew they kept to his sobriety for multiple episodes but had no idea he since fell off the wagon.

Barney is as sober as they want him to be but 99% of the time he is not because it's easy to make drunkard jokes.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Another bizarre change around s25/26. Using real life footage from movies. Feels like a South Park/Family Guy thing and doesn’t fit at all. It’s just laziness, they are just making a reference with no added joke at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ror posted:

apparently it’s not canon, it’s an episode where the premise is that the show is ‘hacked’ and proceed to play shocking or terrible moments that are made up. but they also play some moments from episodes considered weird or bad like the jockey episode, so who knows what they’re trying to do.

I guess it’s never really stated one way or another that the clips are definitely fake or not. if they aren’t then lenny is also just a figment of carl’s imagination

The point is that the Simpsons doesn't have many ideas of what to do next for the characters, it's hard to keep things interesting, and it's not even like figuring out a way to produce an actually good episode will necessarily bring viewership back up.

What will bring viewers back is news of weird status quo shakeups, whether or not they actually stick, because when people hear the news, they'll pop their head back in to see what's going on.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Annabel Pee posted:

Another bizarre change around s25/26. Using real life footage from movies. Feels like a South Park/Family Guy thing and doesn’t fit at all. It’s just laziness, they are just making a reference with no added joke at all.

can't tell if this about the simpsons or family guy :psyduck:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 16, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Literally

quote:

They'll Never Stop The Simpsons!
Have no fears, we've got stories for years, like
Marge becomes a robot,
Maybe Moe gets a cell phone, has Bart ever owned a bear?
Or, how 'bout a crazy wedding?
Where something happens and doo doo doo doo doo...

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

can't tell if this about the simpsons or family guy :psyduck:

Simpsons. Took me a while to find an example, but one is S27E2. Skinner puts on Dr Doolittle and we get a good few minute scene of the kids watching it, so bizarre. Come to think of it maybe it was just a post-disney change.

https://imgur.com/a/Duau497

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh wow, does that not look like it works at all. How do they keep on finding ways to make the animation style worse?

Like season 1 Simpsons could of almost gotten away with something like this just because of how much more experimental the arts style was. Like I think they could of gotten it to work. This just like straight up bad, like a bad 10 second photoshop.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

They should do an unironic "Moe gets a cell phone" as the A plot of an episode, as a callback.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

They should do an unironic "Moe gets a cell phone" as the A plot of an episode, as a callback.

There already is an episode where the town is gathered, and Moe says something like, "Remember that time I got a cell phone and it was a big deal?" I assumed they already did it. Bart owns a bear is all that's left. It's how you'll know the series is over. Like how Beavis and Butt-head isn't over until they walk into the sunset at the end again. Bart will own a bear in at least 4 season finales.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
The worst one of these live action things I've seen so far.

What the hell is that. And to think I still have 8 seasons to go. Checking next episodes description, "Bart takes in a talented homeless woman." Sure, why not.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There was probably a very narrow window between season 10-14 where they could have done a hard reboot, maybe even with new voice actors, where it was basically the same show but restarted so that it's really set in the 00s and is a commentary on that without any previous baggage, and then ten years later it did it again and we have an actual generational Simpsons instead of whatever the gently caress they've been doing for the last twenty-five loving years.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Annabel Pee posted:

The worst one of these live action things I've seen so far.

What the hell is that. And to think I still have 8 seasons to go. Checking next episodes description, "Bart takes in a talented homeless woman." Sure, why not.

Amazing how one can lurk this thread for so long and still find "new" stuff to gawk in horror at.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Atlas Hugged posted:

There was probably a very narrow window between season 10-14 where they could have done a hard reboot, maybe even with new voice actors, where it was basically the same show but restarted so that it's really set in the 00s and is a commentary on that without any previous baggage, and then ten years later it did it again and we have an actual generational Simpsons instead of whatever the gently caress they've been doing for the last twenty-five loving years.

I wonder what the quality of something like that would be but it’s hard to imagine things much worse than what they ended up with. I imagine it would be a lot like SNL but at least with that the new casts and writers inject a lot of detectable fresh air into the show. If you’re chained to the Simpsons format it might still end up a lot like it is.

It’s very interesting from a future-proofing perspective though, doing that would basically guarantee that the show could keep running in perpetuity. I’m not sure if the death of a main cast member straight up kills the show but it’s got a lot of eggs in some very rickety baskets right now.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Dr Who model where there’s weeks of speculation on who the next Homer will be, and people complaining that they made Homer a Scot or a woman this time

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The Simpsons will go off the air with the death of a main cast member, and then come back a few years later with AI-generated voices and scripts.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
They should just make a separate show where it's all set in the 2000s and it runs concurrently with the Simpsons for all anyone cares.

It would still be bad, though, the setting isn't really the problem its the poo poo writing

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cosmik Debris posted:

They should just make a separate show where it's all set in the 2000s and it runs concurrently with the Simpsons for all anyone cares.

It would still be bad, though, the setting isn't really the problem its the poo poo writing

I kind of feel like with the reboot model, you'd attract a better quality of writer because each reboot would have a new showrunner with a specific vision they would want to bring, and they'd hire writers accordingly.

The current writers of The Simpsons are aping previous versions of the show and aren't trying to do anything distinct or disruptive, the hallmarks of what the show was. And you have the one showrunner who has been at it forever and has absolutely no sense of humor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty much the same problem with Disney's Star Wars, where they aren't trying to actually do anything original or even rip off anything good, they're just imitating the old material and end up with an incestuous, stale mess.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

They did this it was called Mission Hill

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I saw the caterpillars episode this past Sunday, which served as their riff on the COVID-19 lockdown. Honestly, the biggest thing I left feeling from the show was I couldn't tell how bad it really was versus how distracting it is to hear virtually all the voice actors straining deliver any of the lines now.

Even Yeardley Smith was doing raspy Lisa voices for her dolls who comes to life in her head to show her degrading mental state--they were supposed to sound like stuck up Barbies. Ned Flanders has virtually zero of the overly cheerfulness in his voice anymore which kind of defeats half the point of his character and humor. The less said about and from Marge, the better.

Frankly they might as well be voiced by amateur knockoffs at this point. Bring on the AI voices.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah like you could tell me the new episode is the best the show has ever been but I'd stop watching after hearing some of these voices. Especially Marge "gargles with razors" Simpson

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Marge's voice has just become Mrs Bouvier's

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Animal Friend posted:

They did this it was called Mission Hill

I tried watching that & while not terrible got bored & turned it off halfway through first ep. I know it was made by Simpsons heavyweights but felt like generic early 2000s sitcom. And I really liked the Critic so dunno maybe it gets better.

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah like you could tell me the new episode is the best the show has ever been but I'd stop watching after hearing some of these voices. Especially Marge "gargles with razors" Simpson

I fell for that twice with newer eps including people somehow losing their minds about Martin being a cop, shame on me.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I thought the Martin gag was actually pretty funny, but I've only seen it as a tweet/screencap and I have to assume it's for the best that way.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Thing is, a lot of humor is based on good delivery, so while not all the gags will be good, bad voice acting just kills any remaining potential for decent comedy.

I've only watched sporadically over the last few years, but I'll give some credit that the show itself hasn't been offensively bad, though what keeps those episodes on for me tends to be fascination over what it's become as oppose to genuinely enjoying the show itself. That caterpillar episode kind of hit me that it was possible that I might actually have enjoyed some of the jokes if the voices didn't sound like rear end. In reality though, it was probably a C+ at best that ended up a D/C-.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
For a moment I thought they brought back the screampillar to do a covid parody, reminding me that that was the first episode I remember watching and immediately thinking "what the hell was that".

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

For a moment I thought they brought back the screampillar to do a covid parody, reminding me that that was the first episode I remember watching and immediately thinking "what the hell was that".

I completely forgot about that episode, though after looking a bit into it, yeah that's a really lovely episode that's a series of contrived gags and weak social commentary. Zombie Simpsons in S13.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

FireWorksWell posted:

I thought the Martin gag was actually pretty funny, but I've only seen it as a tweet/screencap and I have to assume it's for the best that way.

I mean, that's pretty much all there is to it, just stretched out over 90 seconds.

I'm pretty sure the only reason everyone freaked out about this is that nobody actually watched the episode at all, because the conceit is that Mr. Robot-style hackers took over the show and are releasing "all the footage they don't want you to see", which are just short vignettes of dumb jokes. It's basically just a bad copy of Interdimensional Cable and obviously not meant to be "in-canon" (for as much as that's worth these days).

Edit: Like, there's so much dumber poo poo in there: https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Lisa_the_Boy_Scout

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari