Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

This seems like an oxymoron or maybe :thejoke:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2873673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the Fiat advice. Sounds like we'll have to go take one for a spin and see if the charm remains once she's inside. Honestly kind of excited for a test drive myself, with an engine so small it'll be fun to really step on it and not do any damage.

And thanks for the other suggestions too. I think a GTI is the wrong kind of fun here -- boring looking and quick is my style, not hers. I'd point her toward a plain Golf, but it's not as unusual as the Suzuki was and I doubt it would go over. The polarizing nature of the Fiat seems to be a plus for her.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Proposed Budget:$50k-$60k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 2 door or 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Mostly a fun daily driver to work (20 min). Maybe some fun driving on the weekend. But no track driving.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. Moderate maintenance costs. Performance.

I'm mainly trying to decide between the Honda Civic Si and the Type R. This will be my first sports car. I'm excited by the Type R, but I'm worried about maintenance costs and it may be more car than I need since I'm not going to track it. In either case should I stick to new only. To avoid thrashed trade-ins?

Travic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 21, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If she likes weird looking stuff:

NA Mini Cooper - they're not the most reliable things in the world and part prices are a little steep but they are Quirky and Fun
Nissan Cube - lol (but fundamentally its like a Versa underneath so its Fine)
Kia Soul - actually a very good little car
NA Hyundai Veloster - looks like a motorcycle helmet. pretty good overall
Scion xD - fundamentally a decent little box on wheels
Prius C - a lovely Prius but kind of neat looking
The newer edition of the VW Beetle

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If she likes weird looking stuff:

NA Mini Cooper - they're not the most reliable things in the world and part prices are a little steep but they are Quirky and Fun
Nissan Cube - lol (but fundamentally its like a Versa underneath so its Fine)
Kia Soul - actually a very good little car
NA Hyundai Veloster - looks like a motorcycle helmet. pretty good overall
Scion xD - fundamentally a decent little box on wheels
Prius C - a lovely Prius but kind of neat looking
The newer edition of the VW Beetle

You gotta find a Soul with the 1.6, right? Both more fuel efficient and dramatically less likely to experience sudden Kia engine explosion that has dealers backlogged with engine replacements for months?

I have low standards for cars, but the Prius C is completely awful, and the worst car to drive that I've ever driven in my life. An early Plymouth Neon is a better place to be. It was just completely dead, and clearly way too heavy for its poor Yaris platform to lug around, suspension that manages to both amplify bumps and ruts but also feel top-heavy while turning.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I do not love the Prius C either but the people I know who have owned them like them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Travic posted:

How will you be using the car?: Mostly a fun daily driver to work (20 min). Maybe some fun driving on the weekend. But no track driving.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. Moderate maintenance costs. Performance.

I'm mainly trying to decide between the Honda Civic Si and the Type R. This will be my first sports car. I'm excited by the Type R, but I'm worried about maintenance costs and it may be more car than I need since I'm not going to track it. In either case should I stick to new only. To avoid thrashed trade-ins?

If you can't come up with a good reason not to buy a miata, you should buy a miata.

Edit: Or buy my FoRS. I will no joke sell it to you.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i second the miata. honda civics stopped being sports cars after i drove a miata

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If OP needs a back seat the Civic Si is like the ideal slightly interesting reliable daily driver. The only other car in that category these days is the GTI and the Mk 8 is a step back from the Mk 7.5.

If you wanna go bigger and badder there's the GR Corolla. I think you can get in to one for that kind of money.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Is there a particular trim level of Miata I need to look at?

I don't necessarily need a back seat I'm just a bit of a Honda fan boy. I'll definitely try a Miata out. Thanks for the advice.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If OP needs a back seat the Civic Si is like the ideal slightly interesting reliable daily driver. The only other car in that category these days is the GTI and the Mk 8 is a step back from the Mk 7.5.

If you wanna go bigger and badder there's the GR Corolla. I think you can get in to one for that kind of money.

I'm sorry but the idea of spending over 50k on a hot hatch makes my brain cry.

Travic posted:

I don't necessarily need a back seat I'm just a bit of a Honda fan boy. I'll definitely try a Miata out. Thanks for the advice.

They're all the same in terms of performance so it's just what tech you want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Travic posted:

If you're interested in a pure sports car experience the only thing that comes close are the Toyobaru twins. Which you should also check out.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

what about the new supra, there was one on the showfloor at the dealership and it looked rad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'm sorry but the idea of spending over 50k on a hot hatch makes my brain cry.

Didn't you buy a FoRS? Inflation adjusted MSRP without options is north of 45 grand.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ethanol posted:

what about the new supra, there was one on the showfloor at the dealership and it looked rad

There's also the new Z, which is neat looking I guess.

But there's a reason like 50% of the people at any given track day are in a Miata. They are reliable and cheap as gently caress to work on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Didn't you buy a FoRS? Inflation adjusted MSRP without options is north of 45 grand.

I did but I payed under MSRP for it and I refuse to believe that a GR Corolla is $10k more car. Also I will probably sell it because it's somehow worth more now than when I bought it and the mods to fix the things I don't like about it would ruin the value.

OP should buy my Focus.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 21, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

There's also the new Z, which is neat looking I guess.

But there's a reason like 50% of the people at any given track day are in a Miata. They are reliable and cheap as gently caress to work on.

those are old miatas, no? are people tracking ND? regardless op said a budget of 50-60k and no trackdays so could get something a little more interesting.

op are you planning on keeping the car for longer than 3 years?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ethanol posted:

those are old miatas, no? are people tracking ND? regardless op said a budget of 50-60k and no trackdays so could get something a little more interesting.

I've seen some ND miatas but most of them are NB/NC because you can't argue with $15 brake rotors. Also a gently caress ton of Toyobarus and Nu Supras.

They also said they value reliability a lot and I do worry about those high-strung turbo engines on the hot hatches (yeah yeah, I know, I own one - glass houses and all that).

Then again, OP wants to buy new so whatever. How much is a total base model Cayman going for nowadays?

Edit:

:catdrugs:

What the gently caress

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

"I'm worried about high strung turbo engines and maintenance costs"

*suggests a car from Zuffenhausen with a turbo engine* :wtc:

I think it's tough to get a better value experience than the Miata but I don't really care if my car is ~unique~ or ~cool~ or whatever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"I'm worried about high strung turbo engines and maintenance costs"

*suggests a car from Zuffenhausen with a turbo engine* :wtc:

I think it's tough to get a better value experience than the Miata but I don't really care if my car is ~unique~ or ~cool~ or whatever.

That was me saying "On one had, a Miata is a bullet proof, relatively inexpensive, fun machine. But on the other hand, new cars come with warranties so here's a German thing that will be fun until it explodes," not me implying Porsches are reliable.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 21, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

not me implying Porsches are reliable.

They've been on or near the top of everyone's reliability surveys for the last decade or more. Not sure why anyone would think they're unreliable. They're just maintenance hogs and the parts and labor rate is expensive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

They've been on or near the top of everyone's reliability surveys for the last decade or more. Not sure why anyone would think they're unreliable. They're just maintenance hogs and the parts and labor rate is expensive.

Oh word. Buy an old Cayman, OP.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Oh word. Buy an old Cayman, OP.

It's not a bad suggestion, and I'm being entirely serious. Except OP wants three things you can't actually get together:

Travic posted:

.....unless you narrow the definition of "performance" sufficiently to make a miata fit, which is still what they should be buying.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I'm not implying that Porsches are necessarily unreliable, but they are expensive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's not a bad suggestion, and I'm being entirely serious. Except OP wants three things you can't actually get together:

I know because I'm very actively considering doing this to replace my FoRS. Not because it has been unreliable or disappointing (it's actually been a dream and it's a mindblowingly competent drivers' car), but because my use case is to run it 2-3 times a year at a track and otherwise leave it in the driveway.

I would want a NA flat 6 one though so $$$

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Travic posted:

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, consider a 2018+ Ford Mustang GT. The Mustang is an easy car to live with every day, it's still quite competent on a winding back road if you have those where you live, and I'd take its V8 any day over a turbo-4.

2016+ Chevy Camaro SS is a better fun car but sucks so goddamn much to live with every day. 2015-17 Mustangs will be cheaper but the A/C compressor is prone to fail on those cars.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Godzilla07 posted:

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, consider a 2018+ Ford Mustang GT. The Mustang is an easy car to live with every day, it's still quite competent on a winding back road if you have those where you live, and I'd take its V8 any day over a turbo-4.

2016+ Chevy Camaro SS is a better fun car but sucks so goddamn much to live with every day. 2015-17 Mustangs will be cheaper but the A/C compressor is prone to fail on those cars.

I'll go check one of those out. Thank you.

ethanol posted:

op are you planning on keeping the car for longer than 3 years?

Whoops missed this. Yes I intend to keep it for many years.

Travic fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 21, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just thought of this - I know this is the most Doug answer ever, but how about a lightly used Kia Stinger? Yeah, it's not a 2 seat sports car and it's not going to be as agile as a Miata, but for a daily that can do you both you can do a lot worse. And it's still technically a hot hatch.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Travic posted:

If you're truly never going to track it the Si is probably fine, but the Type R is both an amazing car and insanely civilized for what it is. When you put it in full comfort mode, the only thing about it that feels different than a regular Civic is how tight the seats hold you. But crank everything up and it rips. There is none of the "well fine we can get groceries but I really want to go fast" jankiness that I've felt from the other hot turbo imports I've driven/owned.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Travic posted:

You can get a Alfa Romeo Giulia at that price point. They checke all the boxes. Except maybe reliability, but that 2020+ models has a much better reputation then the 2017-2019 ones.

Join us (well me).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

preface: i know very, very little about cars and buying them. i'm 39. i bought my first car when i was 36 out of pure necessity. it was a $4k 2000 toyota avalon that has been more than serviceable since i got it in 2021. however, the a/c panel died, and it looks like it'll cost about a grand and a little more to fix it. at the same time, my wife and i are planning on having a kid in the next year or two, and want to prepare for that as well.

question: given all of that, i'm in the market for a station wagon. i hate suv, and a truck won't really suffice. but i do love the look and feel of old station wagons. i found one belowmy budget. problem is, it's across the country--i'm in az, it's in dc.

having come from the east coast, i know rust is a thing back there, especially somewhere like dc. this one doesn't appear to have much, if any, but how can i really tell? do i have the seller take it to a mechanic and get it evaluated or something? does rust really only matter in certain parts of the car? the outside of the car seems fine, it's more everything else i'm worried about.

and if it is fairly rusted in the motor/chassis, how big of a factor is that?

also, maybe someone here can take a look at the listing and tell? https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/c9500bcc-b278-44f4-b2c1-366e34502f76/

sorry if this is juvenile. i really, really, really am new to buying a car. my dad picked out the last one and helped me through the whole process. all new world for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it were me I'd just replace the panel and keep driving the toyota until you had a firm plan about the kid situation (due date)

I do like how that wagon looks though

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

KillHour posted:

Just thought of this - I know this is the most Doug answer ever, but how about a lightly used Kia Stinger? Yeah, it's not a 2 seat sports car and it's not going to be as agile as a Miata, but for a daily that can do you both you can do a lot worse. And it's still technically a hot hatch.

No manual is lame.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Hadlock posted:

If it were me I'd just replace the panel and keep driving the toyota until you had a firm plan about the kid situation (due date)

I do like how that wagon looks though

yea, that's fair. i just figure replacing the a/c panel wouldn't help us profit from reselling it that much. like...

i would get 4k for it as is probably, 5k if i sell it with the 1k a/c fix. so...not sure fixing the a/c helps me get more money out of it.

and honestly, i'm itching for something new. the toyota's great and all, but we do move a decent amount of stuff, even without a kid, and it's proven a bit cumbersome. plus, not the happiest with the creature comforts and all.

an upgrade would be welcome, and doing so is well within budget.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that's fair. I occasionally get the itch to go buy an E39 wagon

Get ready to be hounded with comments like "transportation isn't an investment" though

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

abelwingnut posted:

preface: i know very, very little about cars and buying them. i'm 39. i bought my first car when i was 36 out of pure necessity. it was a $4k 2000 toyota avalon that has been more than serviceable since i got it in 2021. however, the a/c panel died, and it looks like it'll cost about a grand and a little more to fix it. at the same time, my wife and i are planning on having a kid in the next year or two, and want to prepare for that as well.

question: given all of that, i'm in the market for a station wagon. i hate suv, and a truck won't really suffice. but i do love the look and feel of old station wagons. i found one belowmy budget. problem is, it's across the country--i'm in az, it's in dc.

having come from the east coast, i know rust is a thing back there, especially somewhere like dc. this one doesn't appear to have much, if any, but how can i really tell? do i have the seller take it to a mechanic and get it evaluated or something? does rust really only matter in certain parts of the car? the outside of the car seems fine, it's more everything else i'm worried about.

and if it is fairly rusted in the motor/chassis, how big of a factor is that?

also, maybe someone here can take a look at the listing and tell? https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/c9500bcc-b278-44f4-b2c1-366e34502f76/

sorry if this is juvenile. i really, really, really am new to buying a car. my dad picked out the last one and helped me through the whole process. all new world for me.
You have time and a working car and a good idea of what you want which is a class that is rare but not drive 2000 miles rare. I would not buy a 15 year old mercedes across the country in this situation but we all have different triggers of when we need a new whip.

Rust zones or no rust zones, you should get any car you don't want mugging your wallet out your pants on the way out the door inspected by a mechanic that you choose and organize which can be easier or harder in some remote situations. This step has an added benefit for 15 year old german cars because it also gives you a guestimate on the expected maintenance budget for the year which can be as much as the car costs per year when big ticket items land in the same year.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Not sure what your budget is but 2017 in Mesa: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/000745e4-0f36-4f6e-b287-be44d976304f/

There's plenty of stuff to find in Cali and local if you take enough time to look. Don't do a fly and drive if you can buy local and get it inspected. That being said I'm just gonna drop this here and walk away..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’d generally advise filling out the template in the OP. We have no idea about your budget or your use case other than “going to have a kid” and “want wagon”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’d generally advise filling out the template in the OP. We have no idea about your budget or your use case other than “going to have a kid” and “want wagon”

But surely this OPs use case is different from all of the other "which mass produced appliance best fits usage pattern #4 on budget X"!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I'm very new to all this. I'll look into as many of those as I can. One last thing. How wary should I be of used sports cars? I'm worried about getting something someone leased, thrashed around the track a bunch, then returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Travic posted:

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I'm very new to all this. I'll look into as many of those as I can. One last thing. How wary should I be of used sports cars? I'm worried about getting something someone leased, thrashed around the track a bunch, then returned.

If it's in stock form, up to date on maintenance and passes a pre purchase inspection by a reputable mechanic who knows that brand/model it's just a used car that was used to do the things that car was made for.

Can you explain why you're worried about this scenario? Do you think these cars aren't capable of being thrashed around a track or that it somehow creates hidden damage? Hopefully you're not someone who thinks using the entire pedal you paid for is going to "break" your car.