Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Tbh, I'm not sold on moth juice. How's its supposed to protect against a bat virus seeing as how bats are moths #1 predator. It's totally counterintuitive

If you think about it, bats are partially comprised of moths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Mouse study, but the association to Alzheimer's is always something you want to hear :shepface:
"COVID-19 brain fog and the role of Tau proteins"

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-09-covid-brain-fog-role-tau.html posted:

A study published in PNAS Nexus identifies a molecule that may be behind cognitive symptoms, including "brain fog," experienced by those infected by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Studies have shown that COVID-19 infection can worsen Alzheimer's disease in patients with the condition. COVID-19 infection may also make people more prone to develop Alzheimer's disease than people who did not contract COVID-19. Cristina Di Primio and colleagues investigated, in human neuroblastoma cell cultures as well as in mice, the ability of SARS-CoV-2 infection to induce a biochemical endpoint related to Alzheimer's disease.

The authors found that when the SARS-CoV-2 virus infects cultured neuronal cells or the mouse brain, the virus interacts with the microtubule-associated protein known as Tau—a linear molecule known to tangle and clump in neurons in people with Alzheimer's disease. Specifically, upon infection by the virus, Tau undergoes hyperphosphorylation at pathological epitopes—binding locations for antibodies—in a similar fashion as the protein does in Alzheimer's patients.

This hyperphosphorylation makes Tau more likely to form aggregates. The authors also detected a significant increase of Tau in the insoluble fraction of infected cells, a sign of pathological alterations to the protein.

It is still not clear whether these changes are directly caused by the virus or are part of a cellular defense response that functions to keep the virus out of the cellular areas where the virus could replicate. More research is required to develop the findings before the work will become clinically relevant, according to the authors.

Study proper:
"Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection leads to Tau pathological signature in neurons"

https://academic.oup.com/pnasnexus/article/2/9/pgad282/7274649?login=true posted:

Abstract
COVID-19 has represented an issue for global health since its outbreak in March 2020. It is now evident that the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection results in a wide range of long-term neurological symptoms and is worryingly associated with the aggravation of Alzheimer’s disease. Little is known about the molecular basis of these manifestations. Here, several strain variants were used to infect SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells and K18-hACE C57BL/6J mice. The Tau phosphorylation profile and aggregation propensity upon infection were investigated on cellular extracts, subcellular fractions, and brain tissue. The viral proteins spike, nucleocapsid, and membrane were overexpressed in SH-SY5Y cells, and the direct interaction and effect on Tau phosphorylation were checked using immunoblot experiments. Upon infection, Tau is phosphorylated at several pathological epitopes associated with Alzheimer’s disease and other tauopathies. Moreover, this event increases Tau’s propensity to form insoluble aggregates and alters its subcellular localization. Our data support the hypothesis that SARS-CoV-2 infection in the central nervous system triggers downstream effects altering Tau function, eventually leading to the impairment of neuronal function.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Sep 21, 2023

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
This may have been asked, but I didn't see it doing a quick scrollback and I'm at work with limited forum time, so:

How long should I wait between getting the updated Moderna and getting the Novavax? Minimum and / or preferred interval?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

fosborb posted:

just in time for free tests!

excess deaths report from the CDC is being mothballed next week

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Much like houses blowing up, sometimes young people just have an aneurysm and die and there's nothing to be done about it. It's God's will. No point in tracking anything

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Not that anyone will be allowed to get it, but on the off chance that someone reading the thread is in Europe, severely immunocompromised (or similar) and is allergic to the mRNAs:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Much like houses blowing up, sometimes young people just have an aneurysm and die and there's nothing to be done about it. It's God's will. No point in tracking anything

now with pictures!

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

PCR .... lamp!

I've been looking into this more and it seems there has been some success using a modified open source colorimeter to obtain results from a PCR test. It is also used unmodified in this kit/course. It is surprising that there is no shortage of open source/diy PCR projects which only address the thermocycler component of the process. I'm not sure what that's about.

Is there some sort of wide spread use of PCR where you wouldn't need some sort of equipment beyond the thermocycler? I'm still struggling to understand why there are a hundred different open source thermocyclers and not a hundred projects to measure fluorescence.

yoloer420 has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Sep 21, 2023

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Got my flu and covid shots yesterday, one in each arm. I dunno but I sweat like hell under my cover even with the ac maxed. Earlier in the evening during work my left arm (which I assume was the covid one) hurt significantly more than the right, and so I just did whatever exercising and stretching or whatever I thought would goosh it out into the rest of the body faster so it wouldn't hurt.

I'd swear this just led to what had to be a fever due to it then going much faster all throughout my body. Glad to know I had a robust response but still. Now I wonder how many calories one's body expends developing all that.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

thechosenone posted:

Now I wonder how many calories one's body expends developing all that.

well that's a hell of a google result

e: jfc, all of the results are loving insane. apparently there's a common view the covid vaccine makes you gain 20+ pounds :psyduck:

fosborb has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Sep 21, 2023

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
No novavax at my Walgreens. Also no Pfizer or Moderna. Going great.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My doctor told me COVID was just a cold. All pandemics evolve to be less serious. Everybody is going to get COVID this fall. My mask can't protect me. Basically speedrunning the whole denial thing.

But crucially, she agreed to fill out my medical accommodation form to continue WFH. I guess she's interpreting it as assisting in a little light bureaucratic fudgery, which is totally fine by me and actually makes her seem cooler for being willing to do that.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well I was thinking that the total inflammation from an initial robust response, the sweating (which apparently costs energy, it just removes way more waste heat than it makes) and the production of whatever micrograms of antibody probably expends a not insignificant amount of the course of the whole process of two weeks of adaptation.

Otherwise, like, I'm sure if a spike protein can be broken down into amino acids some may possibly be absorbed by whatever gets it, but I wouldn't know how much is lost in the waste removal process or is expended in the production of the antibodies (or even what percentage would go through the lymphatic system or the blood stream. I ain't no doctor, much less a metabolically focused research immunologist or whoever would study this).

either way I feel like I could take a half day and just rest. Honestly even though I have to take an immuno suppressant for colitis I've very rarely gotten sick, so this is novel to me. presumably I've just got too many drat different innate whatever it is that patrols the body so the removal of one type doesn't make a big diff.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
2 months to re-infection is, uh, not awesome.

https://twitter.com/EllenBarkin/status/1704518606451511342?s=20

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

agreed, at that rate you will never collect all the variants

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

So much for natural immunity right

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

My doctor told me COVID was just a cold. All pandemics evolve to be less serious. Everybody is going to get COVID this fall. My mask can't protect me. Basically speedrunning the whole denial thing.

But crucially, she agreed to fill out my medical accommodation form to continue WFH. I guess she's interpreting it as assisting in a little light bureaucratic fudgery, which is totally fine by me and actually makes her seem cooler for being willing to do that.

My family doctor is the opposite. Corsi cubes and air purifiers in every room of her office, wearing an Aura N95 properly, promising to prescribe us Paxlovid if our house gets caught again.

She was running through a bunch of diagnostic questions related to PEM and POTS and when she caught on that I'd already put my mother through the same questions in the past month, she gave me a weird look and said "You're better read on COVID than anyone else I know".

lol. lmao.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

fosborb posted:

e: jfc, all of the results are loving insane. apparently there's a common view the covid vaccine makes you gain 20+ pounds :psyduck:

the CDC estimates that 270,227,181 people have gotten at least one dose of the vaccine

that's approximately 5,404,543,620 pounds Americans have gained thanks to the vaccine :burger::burger::burger:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Calde posted:

My family doctor is the opposite. Corsi cubes and air purifiers in every room of her office, wearing an Aura N95 properly, promising to prescribe us Paxlovid if our house gets caught again.

She was running through a bunch of diagnostic questions related to PEM and POTS and when she caught on that I'd already put my mother through the same questions in the past month, she gave me a weird look and said "You're better read on COVID than anyone else I know".

lol. lmao.

It's probably a pretty low bar

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

yoloer420 posted:

Is there some sort of wide spread use of PCR where you wouldn't need some sort of equipment beyond the thermocycler? I'm still struggling to understand why there are a hundred different open source thermocyclers and not a hundred projects to measure fluorescence.

Not... really? I can't think of any time I touched a plain thermocycler that didn't have some kind of secondary analysis. The PCR machines usually go in or next to the same bench/room dedicated to electrophoresis equipment for that reason. If you use a PCR product without at least checking that you have a well-amplified product of the expected size you're making a HUGE leap of faith. that said, the focus might be on the thermocycler in the DIY space because the follow-up equipment's not hard to get. You can get perfectly adequate power supplies on ebay for 50 bucks. A small agarose casting kit with combs, same deal. Ethidium bromide is like 40 bucks, and a gram will last you a long time, like years of multiple gels per day.

note: this doesn't apply to qPCR machines, which do amplification and detection in the same tube, in the same instrument.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
northern Virginia vax side effects list: glowing skin

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Calde posted:

lol. lmao.

:unsmith:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

fosborb posted:

lmao, the adults in the room continue doing everything I was afraid would happen under a 2nd Trump term. Vote!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Calde posted:

lol. lmao.

I mean, I'd probably prefer your doctor but I'll settle for the one who will write a note with a wink. Maybe my tune will change if I need paxlovid.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

(..)

... are you saying you haven't gotten ~30k doses?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
finally saw a dermatologist today for a weird thing on my thumb I’ve had since May. he pronounced it a form of eczema which I have never had before. not sure if related to my Covid earlier in the year, but will bring it up to my recovery trial.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

fosborb posted:

This is why you want to get it in a different arm each time, gotta spread the weight around.

I found out the other day that my uncle died of/with covid (we weren't close). This happened about two weeks ago but the nursing home didn't contact my mom until now because they're so short-staffed they didn't have anybody on hand to inform next of kin. Perfectly normal and sustainable, I'm sure.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Pingui posted:

If you think about it, bats are partially comprised of moths.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/JeromeAdamsMD/status/1704818462579679397?s=20

is this the highest profile person who seems to be showing ongoing concern about the pandemic and lol if so

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Petey posted:

finally saw a dermatologist today for a weird thing on my thumb I’ve had since May. he pronounced it a form of eczema which I have never had before. not sure if related to my Covid earlier in the year, but will bring it up to my recovery trial.

I think immune action generally can exacerbate (or... maybe induce?) eczema and related skin issues. my hockey-glove eczema flares a little after each vaccine shot I get I've noticed, even if I'm playing hockey less often, and similar happens for my partner's run of the mill eczema.

so anyway: for your case I suspect it's linked to covid but for example it may have happened had you gotten standard flu instead and not gotten covid. curious to hear if maybe the recover staff will say they've heard similarly from others though?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Calde posted:

lol. lmao.

buy her an account

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pingui posted:

Mouse study, but the association to Alzheimer's is always something you want to hear :shepface:
"COVID-19 brain fog and the role of Tau proteins"

Study proper:
"Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection leads to Tau pathological signature in neurons"

Been awhile since I've seen it brought up, but anosmia can be a sign of early neurodegenerative disease.

Calde posted:

lol. lmao.

My family doc is the same. Though the other doctors in his practice are all back to normal and constantly arguing with him about dropping the office mask mandate. He says he doubts he'll eat in a restaurant again any time this decade.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Sep 21, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fosborb posted:

I’m filing a bug report to revert the name of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to the Office of Malaria Control in War Areas.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Tau also flies all over the brain in CTE and similar brain trauma, you’ll see it in retired NFL players with neurological issues.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does tau show up in an mri or ct scan or do you have to do an autopsy basically?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Been awhile since I've seen it brought up, but anosmia can be a sign of early neurodegenerative disease.

My family doc is the same. Though the other doctors in his practice are all back to normal and constantly arguing with him about dropping the office mask mandate. He says he doubts he'll eat in a restaurant again any time this decade.

need to get a spreadsheet going of PCPs who acknowledge that getting covid is worse than getting a cold

i wish i had anyone like that in my orbit

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
My country just issued their first public health order since declaring COVID OVER last spring - medical providers have to wear a mask when seeing patients (but nothing about patients)

Just in time for my annual checkup!

I did get COVID for the first time last May, is there anything specific I should ask my doc to look at? Like, heart or lung wise?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chad Sexington posted:

This argument only kind of made sense if we’re being extremely generous for less than four months in 2021.

Prior to the very end of July, breakthrough infections were not acknowledged at all.

Then, in late November, Omicron emerged and dispelled the fiction that we were dealing with a stable virus that could be staved off with static combinations of antibodies.

So if you avoided wildtype, Alpha, Delta, BA.1, BA.2, BA.5, BQ.1, why is it so certain that you will get Eris or Pirola or Fornax? It’s a victory every time you avoid a strain of the virus long enough for it to become defunct.

She’s like an idiot crashing a car semiannually lecturing that everyone will crash eventually, to someone who has, to date, never crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

https://twitter.com/CrappyFumes/status/1704791855869628553