Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Talorat posted:

Moonstone island just released. Anyone have a chance to play it yet and have an initial review?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1658150/Moonstone_Island/

I only just started it, but it seems like a mix of pokemon and stardew valley: but in the sky with alchemy thrown in, very chill mood so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Keru posted:

I only just started it, but it seems like a mix of pokemon and stardew valley: but in the sky with alchemy thrown in, very chill mood so far.

That combination sounds like exactly what I've been in the mood for lately, so please keep us updated.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The art is very lovely pixels and smooth animations, very reminiscent of Link to the Past, just higher definitions.

The only real annoyance so far is that the placing/harvesting stuff is a bit janky and you kindof have to come to a complete stop before doing anything, or it just doesn't register.

edit: completely surprising everyone, there is of course a Goth to date.

I am not complaining

Keru fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 21, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I’m enjoying it so far! Other than a few minor polish things like buildings loading in a frame after the backgrounds do, or occasional stuttering, it feels very rich. I’ve only really explored the main island so far so I’m looking forward to exploring around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odd question, forgive me for asking!

Are there any "Princess Maker" or similar style 'parent raising child' RPG games where the 'player' is a girl? (Also like wholesome is a must.) I have someone looking for something in that field but I'm not sure of any good recommendations. In this particular case the 'mother raising a child' element is important to the person. Thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Are there any "Princess Maker" or similar style 'parent raising child' RPG games where the 'player' is a girl? (Also like wholesome is a must.) I have someone looking for something in that field but I'm not sure of any good recommendations. In this particular case the 'mother raising a child' element is important to the person. Thanks!

Volcano Princess, maybe

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hwurmp posted:

Volcano Princess, maybe

They want games with a mother, that has a father.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

welp

Princess Maker 5 lets you choose to be a mom but I have no idea if it's any good

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

ImpAtom posted:

Off the top of my head, both Chinese Parents and Growing Up involve both parents raising the child (latter allows for lesbian couples as well, so it can be two moms raising a daughter). Arguably they present the child as being the player character, rather than the parents? But that's a gray area with a lot of these games.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
You can be a woman in Ciel Fledge, which is a Princess-Maker-But-Mecha and apparently has less creepiness than PM2. Not sure if it's any good though, not spent any real time with it, but it's possible :shobon:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Oh yeah, it's been long enough since I played that I forgot you had that customization in Ciel Fledge. Would recommend that one; fair warning that it's slower paced than most due to there being minigames for most activities (similar to Teenage Exocolonist), but it's an interesting setting, has better production values than you'd expect for the price, and there's some branching paths in the plot from what I recall.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Nick Buntline posted:

Oh yeah, it's been long enough since I played that I forgot you had that customization in Ciel Fledge. Would recommend that one; fair warning that it's slower paced than most due to there being minigames for most activities (similar to Teenage Exocolonist), but it's an interesting setting, has better production values than you'd expect for the price, and there's some branching paths in the plot from what I recall.

Also 90% off on Steam right now. All of 89p

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Allyn posted:

Also 90% off on Steam right now. All of 89p

Seems weird but for 99 cents I’ll get it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Talorat posted:

Moonstone island just released. Anyone have a chance to play it yet and have an initial review?

I have been playing it a bit and so far it seems fine but I really dislike this mechanic when you choose 'Talk'.

You get relationship points if you succeed and lose them if you miss, three attempts a day. The worst part is that there's no response when you choose something, just some floating (broken) hearts and the number of points.

I can see the reason why it works like this (three times a day is a ton of dialogue to write) but it feels like busy work and makes me care less about the characters themselves.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 22, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Talorat posted:

So far this seems pretty fun. There's no character customisation, at least not to start, you're always this little white-haired person. The pixel graphics are rather lovely and the atmosphere is very chill. I like the card-based battling you do with your little pokemon friend on meeting monsters. Hard to say how much the game will open up but so far I think it's worth the price.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

New Nivalis trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj2o6XJC7sY

Really can't wait for this one.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

RoboCicero posted:

I love that "Master a unique NPK compost system" is part of their steam store description.

Oh poo poo, games muscling into Vintage Story's turf?

Sachant posted:

Really liking Nivalis's concept but the mismatch between the amazing voxel environment and the cookie-cutter asset store models throws me off

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 22, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

lunar detritus posted:

I have been playing it a bit and so far it seems fine but I really dislike this mechanic when you choose 'Talk'.

You get relationship points if you succeed and lose them if you miss, three attempts a day. The worst part is that there's no response when you choose something, just some floating (broken) hearts and the number of points.

I can see the reason why it works like this (three times a day is a ton of dialogue to write) but it feels like busy work and makes me care less about the characters themselves.

Ah, thank you for reminding me. I remember playing the demo and that mechanic specifically is what turned me off of the game. It made it hard to actually get dialogue from the NPCs, which in turn made me not care about them, which in turn just made it into a kind of mediocre farming/dungeon rpg. And when I've got Rune Factory to play instead, well...

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sachant posted:

Woah, this seems really cool!

SexyBlindfold posted:

Really liking Nivalis's concept but the mismatch between the amazing voxel environment and the cookie-cutter asset store models throws me off

This is always the balance for small/solo dev team games lol. It's always funny when you play a really good game that uses popular store assets then you see that same character in a game that's way worse, for example

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nick Buntline posted:

I picked this up and no its slower paced because its you schedule every day of the week and it has like 8 years, lmao.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 23, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I gave Ciel Fledge a shot for 1 dollar and while I do like it, it is undeniably set to a super, super slow pace. Even moreso if you do the minigames. It took me nearly 4 hours to do just 1 year, for reference.

Still not a bad get if you need sick day zone out material, which is exactly what I like stat raiser sims for.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m enjoying Moonstone Island, though I would have liked to be able to customize my character a bit. The chat/joke/flirt thing not having dialogue responses makes sense considering that increasing relationship levels is such a grind; but maybe it could have just been not such a grind? Ah well, the romance options seem pretty good and diverse and I’m enjoying the gameplay.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I’m enjoying Moonstone Island, though I would have liked to be able to customize my character a bit. The chat/joke/flirt thing not having dialogue responses makes sense considering that increasing relationship levels is such a grind; but maybe it could have just been not such a grind? Ah well, the romance options seem pretty good and diverse and I’m enjoying the gameplay.

I bought the game last night as well and it’s pretty charming so far.

Also someone mentioned that Sandrock was going to go up in price in 3 days but you can get it from fanatical for like $15 right now.

I never really got into Portia because it didn’t run the greatest on my handhelds. Does Sandrock perform any better? I’d mainly be playing it on the Steam deck or ROG Ally.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Still got nothing for ImpAtom's request, because it looks like the player character is male here as well, but there's a new Princes--Maker-like coming out tomorrow, with a demo available now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2263980/Memories_Millennium_Girl/

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mineko's Night Market is out

https://store.steampowered.com/app/762940/?snr=1_5_9__205

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tamba posted:

Still got nothing for ImpAtom's request, because it looks like the player character is male here as well, but there's a new Princes--Maker-like coming out tomorrow, with a demo available now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2263980/Memories_Millennium_Girl/

I appreciate the effort, but no worries. I actually found something else they could enjoy so it worked out.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Paleo Pines is out today if you've been wanting more dinosaurs in your farm sim.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202200/Paleo_Pines/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How is fae farm? It seems like it might be cool but it’s kinda on the pricy end of things.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

How is fae farm? It seems like it might be cool but it’s kinda on the pricy end of things.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

SilentChaz posted:

I've been playing Fae Farm on the Switch since launch (just started my first winter) and it's got a lot of issues. Glitches and crashes to start with. Most notably the automatic tool/weapon switching in dungeons will swap your weapon out for a tool if you're fighting near a rock or ore.

The game only pauses if you press "+" on the Switch. Pulling up your backpack, going through your inventory to craft, etc. will NOT stop time. Even if you do pause time, area effects that harm your character unless you're protected by a potion WILL continue to harm you until you get wiped out.

The game doesn't explain (or is unclear) when it comes to some important things. After juggling my inventory in my backpack and storage shed for awhile and getting frustrated, I found out online that your storage sheds have infinite storage, you just keep moving stuff to one of them from your backpack. (You end up with four farms by the end of the game.)

I was also stuck in-game trying to grow a specific crop (for a story quest) and the game was not helpful in telling me what I needed to do.

I've also had quest completion notifications pop up hours after I've actually finished the quest.

NPCs all sound the same with the same repetitive dialogue. You can expect to hear the same thing from multiple characters in the same in-game day. I don't care about any of them thanks to this, so I haven't bothered to interact with them much beyond unlocking tools/areas.

You have to talk to NPCs multiple times to redeem a quest when you redeem a friendship quest/requested item quest for them. They also sound like you just gave them what they wanted when you agree to their request. You only have one in-game day to finish these quests.

There's a themed festival at the end of each month but aside from the mayor's request for the spring one, they don't matter and you can ignore them entirely.

Doesn't seem to matter if you actually care for your animals, they will give you cotton or eggs or whatever regardless. It also takes a long time in-game every day to care for them. You can breed them to get new ones with higher possible happiness levels which should mean they give you more goods, but this doesn't seem to always be the case.

Placing items is a pain because you have a strict limited radius around your character where you can place things.

There's a strict midnight bedtime, which will send you back to bed wherever you are. At least you don't lose anything in your inventory or any money.

Furniture placement in your home affecting your stats is a nice touch, with the caveats that only one piece of each item of furniture in each house will affect your stats. It's relatively easy to find the mats to make things that will increase your health and stamina, but mana-increasing items seem to be more late-game.

Hope you enjoy pausing and going through the almanac in-game to clear out "!" when you find a new furniture recipe, resource, critter, etc. Because it happens a LOT, especially at the start.

Multi-player is locked until you complete chapter one.

On the Switch, it seems you're locked to your Switch nickname as your character name. Maybe if you sign up for a Phoenix Labs account this is not the case? idk, I don't care enough to sign up for an account just for this because I'm not interested in multi-player.

It doesn't seem like you ever get a way to automate farming or taking care of animals beyond upgrading your watering can or an automatic feeding trough.

The automatic tool switching is nice, as is the option for "they/them" pronouns during character creation. The game generally looks nice and it's fun as hell to be able to freely jump around in one of these games.

Fishing is fine? I went with the easier option in the accessibility menu because I didn't want to bother learning another fishing minigame.

Best and easiest way to make money is to mine gems, polish them up and sell them. Makes everything else trivial in terms of earning money, so I haven't bothered much with other ways to make money.

Sorry for all the :words: but I'm frustrated after paying full price for this and wanted to warn other people. I would've been fine paying $20, but $60 was ridiculous.

tl;dr: It basically feels like the devs looked at other popular and successful games and just copied them without understanding what made them so enjoyable, leading to a pretty but soulless experience. Would not pay full price for this. Wait for a price drop and/or sales.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks I remember reading that and it’s kinda a shame. I think if it were 20 I wouldn’t have even asked.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

welp

Princess Maker 5 lets you choose to be a mom but I have no idea if it's any good

Princess Maker 5 is very good, probably my favorite in the series, but it’s official English translation is very rough. Because of the translation, I never recommend paying full price. It is also very long, you play 8 years and plan out every week and weekend. It has a lot of content and freedom, and as a mother, you get different voice lines and different experiences during some holidays and events.
In terms of creepiness, 5 is the least creepy of the series, very tame by anime standards. About 90% of the creepy stuff you have to be actively pursuing and can’t really run across it without knowing you’re being a huge creep. The other 10% is eye-rolling anime stuff as well as some cultural differences. Eye rolling anime stuff: three different CG’s for swimming season in school depending on your daughter’s breast size. Cultural differences: having the option of asking your prepubescent daughter if she wants to take a bath with you; which tl;dr boils down to it’s not considered a sexual kind of nudity if it’s a bath and involves children, despite gender.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A warning that most of you won't need, but just in case. Mineko's Night Market does not support mice. It supports controllers, it supports keyboard if WASD is your thing, but no mouse. So you get to play a point-and-click adventure with no "point".

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks I remember reading that and it’s kinda a shame. I think if it were 20 I wouldn’t have even asked.

Yep, if it were 20, I wouldn't have minded either. But to charge full price for what you get continues to annoy me.

The fourth dungeon adds the "gimmick" of unlocking the gate to the next level by finding a flame and bringing it to the gate with a time limit every time you go through, unless you take the time to grind out the mats to craft seals to permanently unlock each floor and teleport to it when you return. Making the seals is something you eventually do for each dungeon, but it just feels like again? for the fourth time. That's about when I gave up on it.

The only reason I haven't deleted it from my Switch is that firing it up counts as playing an online game for the weekly "Play a game that supports Nintendo Switch Online" and it takes less time to get it open than Animal Crossing. :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've been playing and enjoying Dysmantle quite a bit. I went and checked out the devs and I learned they are working in a 3rd Dysmantle DLC plus a new fantasy dysmantle-like called dysplaced.
https://twitter.com/10tonsLtd/status/1704838811685921244?t=P3mLHyzd7eVUbITYCBW34A&s=19
https://twitter.com/10tonsLtd/status/1687476407436271616?t=k8rMiuNevOkNpl43Zl2I4g&s=19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX76DLWsYyc

I think I'll buy that day 1. It looks like more of the same with some added fun systems.

quote:

What would be the EA launch date?

Late 2024 earliest, might be later.

I was also wondering if anyone knows of any other games similar to dysmantled?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Oh yeah Dysmantle is pretty good, had a lot of fun with it though I remember being a little frustrated by some of the timed challenges, haven't gotten around to the DLC yet, I think only one of them was out when I played, or maybe it was about to come out, something like that.

There's probably tons of games that have similar combat but I can't think of anything that has that style of resource collection/building, hopefully others ITT can. Dysplaced seems like it's gonna be good too, but I'm gonna wait until it's a full release rather than early access.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SilentChaz posted:

Paleo Pines is out today if you've been wanting more dinosaurs in your farm sim.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202200/Paleo_Pines/

i don't like these dinosaurs, they are ugly >:(
i only like pretty dinosaurs!! :'(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

turn on your monitor

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hwurmp posted:

turn on your monitor

D':<

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anybody take the plunge and try the new Harvest Moon? Been hearing rumblings it's actually decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Anybody take the plunge and try the new Harvest Moon? Been hearing rumblings it's actually decent.

After being somewhat disappointed by Fae Farm and Mineko & Paleo sounding not great I've decided I'm gonna take the dive on this one because everyone is being positive about it except for those still yelling about the name thing...

Longing for the old days of hiding under my duvet with my gameboy playing Harvest Moon 2 (I was desperate for 3 but I don't think it ever came out in Europe so I had to wait until I saw it in a second hand game store in Austin a few years ago!)

I know about the split etc etc but I just don't care anymore. It's highly unlikely anyone working on SoS at Marvelous was involved with Harvest Moon back when they used the name yknow?

The over the shoulder perspective is the thing that is drawing me to this more than any other farming game in a while. And I dig the art style a lot!

Anyway I'll come back with impressions when I remember I made this promise.

Edit: I'd also argue SoS isn't that great either. The series peaked (for me personally) with Animal Parade on Wii though I probably put most time into FoMT.

LeFishy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 28, 2023