Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Kaysette posted:

time zone tanking is real and awful

Is it worse than the alternative of smaller groups getting smashed by bigger groups when theyre not on? How could ccp counter both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

floppyspud posted:

Is it worse than the alternative of smaller groups getting smashed by bigger groups when theyre not on? How could ccp counter both?

ADM upkeep penalty when outside the timer window.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

floppyspud posted:

They could unplug the servers, m8

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

floppyspud posted:

One possibility could be a balance factor the game calculates based on number of pilots, combined total wealth (ships, modules, money, etc.), combined total skill points and a heavy modificator based on if they have people online or not, and make that balance factor adjust what the bigger group can do to the smaller group.

Like, if the bigger group is 10x+ stronger according to the BF, structures of the weaker group suddenly can't be destroyed, if it gets even more uneven, the weaker group doesn't take damage anymore, etc.

Would be a neat way to just discard all those weird timers everywhere.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

DARPA posted:

ADM upkeep penalty when outside the timer window.

mmmmm… what do you mean? Like the adm goes down faster when its not in the ihubs time window? That doesnt address structure timers, unless you want to tie structure timers to ihubs, and even then i really couldn’t see that being a big deal for blocs who can easily rat up the adms anyways. That seems far more likely to harm small groups who may already struggle with them than anything.

Even if it somehow was significant enough to effect blocs and yet not kill off small groups (impossible) it wouldnt change timezone tanking in any way, because then youre just giving them even more power in their chosen time. Besides, it just makes it easier to attack the ihub, when most of the time spent is burning down structures.

I reckon doing something with the adm is a good start, but not whatever i think you meant.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Libluini posted:

One possibility could be a balance factor the game calculates based on number of pilots, combined total wealth (ships, modules, money, etc.), combined total skill points and a heavy modificator based on if they have people online or not, and make that balance factor adjust what the bigger group can do to the smaller group.

Like, if the bigger group is 10x+ stronger according to the BF, structures of the weaker group suddenly can't be destroyed, if it gets even more uneven, the weaker group doesn't take damage anymore, etc.

Would be a neat way to just discard all those weird timers everywhere.

Thats an interesting idea, but sounds like people would find a way around it or to abuse it. And if its giving complete or significant amounts of invulnerability at scale then people definitely will.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
My proposed solution to sov is that we all become renters from crowd control productions games, ltd. For the low low cost of 20 currency units per month, you get access to all sorts of fancy systems and ships. Perhaps we can even pay them more for the privilege of putting a little flag on a star system so that we can grind improvements and get more lucrative space business opportunities.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

time zone tanking is one of the things that contributes to the agglomeration into blocs but there isn't really a solution that doesn't involve "completely eliminate the concept of attackable structures", everything else is just trying to find a compromise that mitigates the worst aspects

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

ragnarokette posted:

My proposed solution to sov is that we all become renters from crowd control productions games, ltd. For the low low cost of 20 currency units per month, you get access to all sorts of fancy systems and ships. Perhaps we can even pay them more for the privilege of putting a little flag on a star system so that we can grind improvements and get more lucrative space business opportunities.

:goofy:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Reactive hardeners seem kinda really good against missiles since they're all a single damage type. I've never really appreciated this before. Like double the ehp/s vs. missiles than say lasers.

Unless you're galaxy brain enough to rainbow your missiles.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

floppyspud posted:

Thats an interesting idea, but sounds like people would find a way around it or to abuse it. And if its giving complete or significant amounts of invulnerability at scale then people definitely will.

True, most possible solutions eventually run into the problem of people who want to win at all costs clogging up the system. Most other MMOS have given up long ago and just made PVP and PVE servers be disconnected from each other.

The most interesting example of this isn't even a real MMO: NMS has opt-in PVP, so you can in theory gently caress up other player's bases, but if you just want to build in peace and maybe have a random player stumble upon your manifesto to your own madness, you can just not opt-in. (In fact, due to financial reasons, I'm not paying for Sony's online service, which means NMS is basically PVE-only for me. I can still visit players and vice versa, it's just not possible for me to actually meet another player.)

The sad thing is, EVE's main draw is PVE+PVP all on the same shard, so the "solution" of other games to not do that kind of doesn't work, to put it mildly.

I still think this poo poo should be better balanced than loving timers on everything, like it is now.

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

floppyspud posted:

tbf they would get smashed when they are on, too - some people have had the idea of limiting how much can be on a grid through a gate or whatever but that has a host of its own problems

heres my shitpost for the day

reverse adms, the more you use up a system, the more vulnerable it is so small groups who cant use their space it's harder to crack and have longer to defend it and big groups have easy to crack space but plenty of members to defend it in a small amount of time

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

psilocybin laden posted:

tbf they would get smashed when they are on, too - some people have had the idea of limiting how much can be on a grid through a gate or whatever but that has a host of its own problems

reverse adms, the more you use up a system, the more vulnerable it is so small groups who cant use their space it's harder to crack and have longer to defend it and big groups have easy to crack space but plenty of members to defend it in a small amount of time

would just result in the bigger groups spreading out even more to lower how much each system gets used

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

grumplestiltzkin posted:

would just result in the bigger groups spreading out even more to lower how much each system gets used

don't give CCP ideas, or they realize they could use this to force players at gun point to actually use all those empty nullsec systems

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

grumplestiltzkin posted:

i feel like this is not the worst outcome

unrelated: have some OC, eve thread

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
AWU, werewolves of Jita

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kaysette posted:

AWU, werewolves of Jita

thread title

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kaysette posted:

AWU, werewolves of Jita

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Kaysette posted:

AWU, werewolves of Jita

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Kaysette posted:

AWU, werewolves of Jita

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Its… actually not the worst idea, surprisingly. Id say null blocs trying to actually take some space is better than them sitting in their fortresses and never moving, plus many alliances probably already have enough space to negate that. Also its effect on renting would be interesting, now i like renting, but it definitely would add another layer to it.

I hope there is some ccp community person with an sa account to see all our brilliant ideas

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Kaysette posted:

AWU, werewolves of Jita

Eve is like that kid rock song. You think it's gonna be werewolves of London, but oh no it's kid loving rock stealing zevon valor

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

Dalmuti posted:

Eve is like that kid rock song. You think it's gonna be werewolves of London, but oh no it's kid loving rock stealing zevon valor

d name posters are good sometimes actually

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

psilocybin laden posted:

messed up if true

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

psilocybin laden posted:

you take that back right drat now mr

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
deal with it

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

psilocybin laden posted:

Remove damage caps, add new tiers of defensive fittings.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

psilocybin laden posted:

:wth:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kaysette posted:

AWU, werewolves of Jita

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

Kaysette posted:

AWU, werewolves of Jita

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

salartarium posted:

Remove damage caps, add new tiers of defensive fittings.

Ban everyone whos name starts with D

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

floppyspud posted:

I would act indignantly and hurt by this, but then that would sort of prove your point…

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

doppyspud posted:

You first

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Zarzakh gates have opened, nobody can dock at the only station and it's a bloodbath. Turnurbois hold field early.

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022
please clap

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We made it into a drinking game.

My liver hates me.

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022
elysium is a dumpster fire right now, the pubbies have eaten too much glue

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
how is that any different to Elysium at any point in history?

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

Does PRISM not exist anymore or something?

I'm a line member of Be Nice Inc., which is in PRISM. We do exist. It's a real solid group but it's definitely not a goon group.

Elchimpster posted:

Does goose or prism ever throw capitals around? Ive got like 3 dreads at V plus t2 guns for each, and somehow the joke dread is considered the best? What happened to moros and rev superiority?

PRISM, and specifically Be Nice do not throw caps around in wormhole space. I have caps that I positioned in Catch to fly with Goosefleet when they do capital shenanigans. If you just want to do cap stuff it'd be easier to join Goosefleet because Be Nice is a wormhole group first and foremost, and members are expected to adhere to certain rules and general wormhole etiquette. Outside of wormhole space it doesn't matter, but like I said cap stuff would just be easier to join Goosefleet for than PRISM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
goose logo when???