Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

You're asking me to believe in sentient meat.
The Eve thread is dead, long live the Eve thread.

What is EVE Online?

Variously described as “Spreadsheets in space”, “A worst-in-class PvE experience”, “Sociopaths Online”, and “The game for the Nerds who are to Nerds what Nerds are to Normal People”; EVE Online is a nineteen year old sci-fi sandbox MMO published by vikings from an island that smells, by all accounts, of farts and rotting fish. Despite their best efforts to the contrary and their well-earned forum emote ( :ccp: ), Eve continues to be one of the most compelling experiences in MMO gameplay.

Eve is unique in its single-sharded world. In other MMOs, servers are sharded to help balance load and otherwise scale the game. Eve takes place on a single server (unless you live in China.) Because of this, every mistake you make and every enemy you make are there to haunt you forever. Friendships and rivalries in Eve do not disappear, making things like “politics” and “diplomacy” actually matter.
That game takes place in a fully realised sci-fi universe, consisting of thousands of solar systems, interlinked by a web of interstellar jump-gates and divided into multiple zones:
  • High Security Space, where NPC empires enforce peace and the NPC police Concord enforce the appearance of security. A "neutral" ground for players to engage in commerce and production and for clever girls (hi globby) to extract mountains of salt from the bleating of pubbies who don't understand the basic fact that Concord punishes crime. It doesn't prevent it.
  • Low Security Space, where the tentative peace of the empires break down. Dominated by small gangs of extortionists pirates and players enrolled in NPC Faction militias; all trying their best to establish pockets of hegemony and stability. CCP has recently tried to increase the value of these regions by seeding certain types of basic minerals that are primarily found there, resulting in lowsec space actually being viable to live in for small to medium sized groups and having more things to "do" other than bot faction warfare sites and camp gates. Now there's actual honest to god mining there.
  • Null Security Space:, where vast, player-controlled empires rise and fall as they jostle for influence, resources, and renown.
  • Wormhole Space: Above, below and through-out the zones outlined above, wormhole space is different things to different people. For many, wormhole space is a highway that can trim a 40+ jump trip down to 3 or 4 hops. For others, wormhole space are scary holes where bad man come from to savage peaceful krabbing encounters. For still others, it's a cozy little hobbit hole far removed from the hubbub and flexing of null security politics... at least until the wormhole cartels start eyeing your cozy hole for rental to russian or chinese botting farms.
  • Abyssal Space:. A relatively recent addition, abyssal space is Eve's version of an instanced dungeon. You go in, do a thing for up to 20 minutes, and exit with a pile of loot. Some of which can be sold for cash, other items are lucrative on the market to feed the gambling addictions of eve billionaires and trillionaires.
  • Pochven. This space used to be a mixture of high security and low security systems. However, some triangle men got into a fight with some electricity men, and they disappeared their 27 systems into their own disconnected region that you get to by use of filaments and wormholes. The triangle men love triangles, so you see 27 systems are 3 x 9 and 9 is 3 x 3 so you see triangles everywhere. This has resulted in some hilarity in the eve universe. The trip from Jita to Amarr (two of the major market hubs in eve) used to be just 9 jumps away through high security space. Now a "safe" high security route is 45 jumps. It is a stretch to call Pochven an MVP. The system showers isk on a very small number of people in a poorly veiled attempt to gloss over how half-assed and incomplete the entire system is. If you are one of the 15-45 people making stupid amounts of isk, it's great. If you are not in the hand-shake cabal of sycophants slobbering to suckle from black and red veined teat of the triangle men, it's a waste of time and effort.

The resources from all these regions (except Pochven and Abyssal space) are vital to the overall economy, because in EVE Online all but the most basic of commodities are the result of hours of player interaction. Nearly everything of worth on the in-game market is the culmination of multiple resource chains that had to be extracted, refined, manufactured, shipped, and assembled. When that cumulation of hundreds of player hours ultimately ends up on the battlefield, if destroyed, it’s gone forever, leaving only scraps of loot and salvage for the victor to pick through.

This cycle of creation and destruction, as well as the ability to trade game time purchased for real money as an in-game commodity, creates a vibrant and meaningful sense of consequence and value. Here's a recent trailer showing an FC that bears a striking resemblance to Asher Elias and some decently accurate depictions of modern eve fights (and good music).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78mIgZDJZew

Why should I play EVE Online?
The game is pretty and consistently updated with new textures, graphics, and DX12). Seriously.

It’s rewarding in the depth and complexity of its mechanics; the breadth of experiences (some intended by the developers, many not), and the single-sharded aspect means that your decisions and choices matter. Develop a reputation for dumpstering the alliance's wealth, and never live it down.

It’s the only game where War-Leader, Diplomat, Industrial Monopolist, Combat Photographer, Scam Artist, Day Trader, Messianic Cult Figure, Long-Haul trucker, Provocateur, Propagandist, and Spy are roles fully fleshed out and engaged in meaningful competition. Mastery of a role takes curiosity, skill, and dedication.

Most importantly, it's a game where you can make a name for yourself or your group as a scourge upon the galaxy, and be rewarded for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

At its core, what really makes EVE is that it is a deeply social experience. Reliable friends and knowledgeable mentors make the most daunting challenges manageable. Jealousy, greed, and bitter rivalries create struggle and competition more meaningful than any game designer can script. The ever evolving tapestry of nebulous trust, rank betrayals, and alliances of convenience is one of the richest histories and mythologies in videogames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDVEHE10nHc

In typical "the first hit is always free" fashion, EVE has two tiers of accounts:

Alpha - The free tier
  • Limited selection of ships, modules, and skills, but plenty of opportunities to cause mayhem
  • You gain skill points at a slower rate and can only train skills up to a certain level
  • Although you are not limited on how many accounts you can have, you can only be signed in on one Alpha account at a time

Omega - The paid tier
  • Faster skill training
  • No restrictions on ships, modules, and skills
  • You're able - and sometimes incentivized depending on play style - to run multiple Omega accounts at once

A good number of players do pay for Omega entirely in-game through income-generating activities like ratting, salvaging, industrial production, and even scamming other players.

CCP recently upped the Omega monthly subscription from $15 to $20, though they frequently run specials with steep discounts for longer subscription periods or multi-account discounts.

Accounts can go back and forth between Alpha and Omega status without penalty. Any Omega skills, ships, and modules you possess on your characters are simply locked out until you resubscribe.

What's been added to Eve since the last time you may have played:
  • Outposts were replaced with citadels. There are many different sizes and types, but overall, it's been a great improvement to making nullsec and lowsec space livable.
  • Third-party gambling sites were replaced with the Hypernet. So, you can now legitimately gamble in Eve online inside of the client. There are methods to stacking the deck in your favor, but you can just ignore it. Some people really like it though.
  • Abyssal space. As mentioned before, abyssal space has a chance to drop "mutaplasmids." These little darlings can unpredictably modify regular eve modules in unusual ways. Most of the time it makes your module crap, but sometimes you get some way better than officer level items. These items can be hard to value, but can swing small gang and solo encounters heavily in your favor. Ostensibly it scratches that random loot grind POE/Diablo itch, but in reality, it's after midnight and you wonder where all your billions of ISK went while you stare at a pile of crap modules.
  • Pochven. 27 solar systems serving as a gigantic honeypot for the literal worst human beings logging into this terrible game.
  • Filaments. These little babies can take you and a few close friends yeeting across the galaxy looking for content. Great fun for an evening of jumping across the eve universe looking for dummies to kill and eventually being blobbed to your glorious death. These are a legit good addition to the game that give you that "evening of content" option that Eve has seriously lacked.
  • Black-Ops battleships can now jump other black ops battleships and anything around them with a covert cloak to a covert cyno. This is amazing. You haven't lived until your Panther jumps a bunch of fully-capped neut Redeemers on an enemy cap and you suck it dry, murder it, and cloak before anyone can respond.
  • Marauders are actually good. Yeah, paladins in delve have the biggest of BDE.
  • Supercarriers can fit a module so that people who take a certain long-lasting drug when they are podded they reappear next to the supercarrier in system, where they can hop into a new ship and fly back into the fight. Did I mention supercarriers can be tethered to a citadel while that module is on? Because it can.
  • POS. Yeah, POS are still a thing.
  • Pipe bombing is still a thing. It goes by various names, but a popular one is done with Proteii.

At one point, TheAdj claimed Goonswarm Federation is no longer affiliated with Something Awful:

Good Dumplings posted:

lol and lmao

tag yourself, I'm the part where banned delta posters are "beyond the pale"

What the gently caress happened? Some poo poo. The long and short of it is that Goonswarm Federation and the Imperium proved that both their leadership and membership lagged so far behind the culture of SA in 2022 that the majority loudest publord shitposters think describing someone who was harassed as "wounded bird Amber Heard bitch" is perfectly okay. Some highlights from the previous thread, which should be considered a high-level mind hazard:

Solus posted:

This post is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!

Sending this post was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This thread is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular community... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Tsed posted:

Non-eve friend was asking about the situation. I gave as best a summary of the mess as I could, and:

Check the next post for some corp information to get you started on your ill-advised journey.

Skip to page 8 to fast-forward through some smoothbrain floridaposting.

twigplant fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

SOME NAMES AND PLACES TO GET YOU STARTED

Doomheim [666]: Do the needful. End your suffering.

Amok. [AM0K]: The original recruitment machine. I'm a director there and while we have some folks people don't always love, I and the other directors have no tolerance for stupid loving chuds bitching about "letting alphabet people run your life" etc. We're a little tryhard and we're not set up to hold people's hands through learning eve, so be forewarned. Come say hi on Discord.

Brave Collective [BRAVE]: They're fine. Currently blue to us, dunno for how long.

Goosefleet [GANDR]: The Hole Squad reboot you're looking for. We live in w-space, honk in local, and also accidentally a sov and it turns out the wormhole upgrade for IHUBs is actually kind cool? And a Hole Squad reboot it was, with an implosion and everything! I wish Siobhan well, whatever her sins may or may not have been. She's fuckin cool. Someone down the way said they're still playing and figuring some poo poo out.

Kazinsal posted:

pros: we're not racist/sexist/LGBTQ-phobic
cons: after the leadership shakeup, we're now run by a triumvirate of d-name posters
Anyways, yes, we still exist. No, we didn't RMT. Yes, Reddit was whipping themselves into a frenzy because Elusif couldn't help himself. Yes, we have new leadership. No, CCP did not negwallet the alliance and everyone in it and ban all the directors. And yes, we still massively and aggressively :honk: in local.
GoonWaffe [GEWNS]: The longest continuously extant and largest (in terms of body weight) goon-based EVE corp. They host a highly industrialized "worker's paradise" down in Delve, with large fleets multiple times a day, as well as smaller specialized fleets. You can read more about them in their PGS thread.
⠀⠀⠀⠀Siobhan had reservations about recommending them but they're the gooniest place to get involved with. Atrum's been a good CEO who is quick to :commissar: when people are blathering on about awful poo poo and there is now a formal alliance-level process for handling complaints of harassment and other awful poo poo. There were, in the past, certain abuses of power, but I think they've largely seen themselves out.

The Greater Goon [GROON]: Weird pineapple people in Syndicate or something. Pretty dead, though. Check 'em out on Discord.

Prismatic Legion [PRISM]: I'm not mega-familiar with these folks, but they have been described as "A larger w-space group that is extremely queer, run by queers, and includes queer allies. They're back in w-space, so click this finely crafted link to wormhole.gay"

DM me if you want your goon-adjacent nerd den mentioned here or w/e.

twigplant fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 9, 2023

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
If you’re curious what it’s like to play games with a bunch of 2008 era libertarians boy do I have the game for you.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm contractually obligated to inform you that Amok. is Recruiting.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Can this game just die already

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we're not that lucky. :smithicide:

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

It was on fire when I got here
Meet the new thread. Same as the old thread.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Thanks for making a new thread! Let's keep the discussion of goose drama in the old thread Jeffrey reopened.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Will the op of this thread close it if they ever get their feelings hurt? :laffo:

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Kaysette posted:

Thanks for making a new thread! Let's keep the discussion of goose drama in the old thread Jeffrey reopened.

Sure. Anyone wanna talk about that CCP survey that went out instead? What are everyone's feelings on things like "inclusion" and "not making this game an acid bath experience for women?"

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
:honk:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Goosefleet still exists, CCP doesn't seem interested in closing us down since they just massively hammered elusif (pbuh, who is no longer associated with goosefleet at all) and the high gov quit playing.

We're figuring out leadership and ensuring some internal problems are sorted out but we're still hanging around Catch because our buddies there are still cool with us.

MercyfulFate
Aug 19, 2003
So I can still put my torpedo in your cargo bay?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
When I planned this whole thing out a couple months ago, I didn't think it would go off this smoothly

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
banned for CBT

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
T2 carriers when

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
im going to fart in this thread

its going to improve it somewhat

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

a wise man with a dent in his chest once said - shutting down eve online would be like shutting down the ghost prison in ghostbusters but for the worst type of people

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Solus posted:

a wise man with a dent in his chest once said - shutting down eve online would be like shutting down the ghost prison in ghostbusters but for the worst type of people

It was like when LF got shuttered.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Solus posted:

Tarkov still exists so I don’t see the problem

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

If you shut down eve all the people that play eve might come and play other, good, games.

That would be the worst outcome.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

posting on page 1 of yet another eve thread. How many pages until the next drama?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

captainclaw posted:

posting on page 1 of yet another eve thread. How many pages until the next drama?

We havent made it to the end of this page yet

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

We havent made it to the end of this page yet

quick, someone break out chat logs or something!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So I heard there was eve drama and now the bad goons are good goons and the good goons are bad goons but groon is still groon?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

It was like when LF got shuttered.

indeed, it would have no effect whatsoever other than the fact that the world's worst posters would post about it like it's important

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Groon Is eve drama immune

This may be because they no longer play, I'm not sure the last time anyone checked

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I did a trip around the ancestral homelands of Syndicate last October, and the same pair of gankers who routinely got my exploration ships were still active around the AAS hole. Brought a goddamned tear to my eye

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
the story of how groon helped andupor jump like halfway across the galaxy and then blew up his carrier on the final jump still makes me laugh really hard

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I did a trip around the ancestral homelands of Syndicate last October, and the same pair of gankers who routinely got my exploration ships were still active around the AAS hole. Brought a goddamned tear to my eye

I always dreamed of a busy syndicate but every time I rambled down there it was dead as hell.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I went through every system east of Poitot after coming in through Reblier and I think I saw maybe a dozen other players. I didn't go into the pocket that last I remember Eve Uni staged out of

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

modern syndicate is pretty much just somewhere that larger groups come to be shot at by mongo the mechanic

some caldari RPers RP'd so hard that the constellation the aas hole graces is now caldari sovereignty

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.
From the GEWNS thread:

andromache posted:

Goonwaffe offers:
- Double SRP
- Free Ishtar, Myrmidon, Procurer replacement per month
- mid-grade amulet replacement
- a capital cache you can borrow a dread/fax/carrier from
- no drama (because I’ll remove you if you cause work for me)
- and no rmt (because I’ll remove you if you cause work for me)

We’ve even crawled begrudgingly into the 2020s and have a discord.

Join today!

In the past year I’ve been running the corp, I’ve only had to execute two people. One was a deranged australian who didn’t believe the gays/pedos had any right to govern christians, so that was a fun time. While the other was an individual who had some enhanced access to alliance developer and gsol resources and decided to tell me to pound sand when I asked him to stop doing some petty dumb poo poo.

Outside those two individuals it’s been chill and good. Current iteration of goonwaffe is very interested in crok sucking so if you like to mine there’s a large group who loves that.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
D-name posters are now considered good!

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
No

Elusif II
Jul 13, 2022

I'm Gary
Leave derek smart alone bethesda stole their idea for Battlecruiser 5000 when they made Starfield.
What was that like 6 trillion isk zirnitra fight yesterday? This morning? whenever that was.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I went through every system east of Poitot after coming in through Reblier and I think I saw maybe a dozen other players. I didn't go into the pocket that last I remember Eve Uni staged out of

Only registered members can see post attachments!

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

andromache posted:

In the past year I’ve been running the corp, I’ve only had to execute two people. One was a deranged australian who didn’t believe the gays/pedos had any right to govern christians

If you are like this just save yourself the grief and join ANZA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

When I last played a few years ago it felt like a huge part of the remaining game population has all been playing it almost non-stop for at least 10 years and has spent like 80 hours a week either in game or in game related chat rooms that entire time. I don't it's going to die until something finally comes along to suck those people into a new game or they all have massive heart attacks.