Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The oecd came out with a big report this week which said "don't drop rates as soon as inflation starts to dip, keep going for a while longer".

Thus high rates will be here for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Extended high rates are required to unwind the house of cards of inflated UK house prices aswell, as the mortgage market adjusts to 4%-5% being the norm rather than 1%-2%. Wage growth and actual housebuilding are also important, but shoving interest rates back down quickly is just letting Capital get it's way again.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Obviously don't vote for them but they are not wrong here. The audience for this move isn't the public, it's the Tory right who Sunak is worried are trying to remove him.

Edit: lol at the first reply https://twitter.com/TheProleStar/status/1704552650501427271

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

sinky posted:

Bad news, their own promo video already shows this innovation.

Genuinely thought this was a screenshot from an early level of Clustertruck.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
This is the problem with all these pocket sized political leaders we have these days.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Please don't post just some rando's fetishes here, ew

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Necrothatcher posted:

The Guardian speedily edited out that terf shite from the Sex Education review (and closed and deleted the comments)

grobbo posted:

lol, the sentence about relentless positivity reads as nonsense now that it's following on from the waiting lists and costs bit. I'm glad other people noticed it, at least.
"relentless positivity" and "affirmation" as it's being referred to there might well be another Gender Critical shibboleth; they really hate affirmation-based care/treatment and want to Have The Debate about why conversion therapy would be better for trans youth. although they desperately try to avoid referring to it as conversion therapy - conversion therapy is bad and used on LGB people but what GC-preferred therapy is doing is simply trying to help confused children feel more comfortable about their biological bodies, etc etc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thinking about it, "biological bodies" is probably why they were so worked up about

Guavanaut posted:

• University of Cambridge reports the creation of the first synthetic human embryo from stem cells, without the need for sperm or egg cells
even though the 1970s radical feminists loved all of that in a sci-fi sense, because finally their political lesbian separatism could exist without men.

The big break between RFs and GCs is that the latter are fully onboard with the white evangelical reactionaries that your natural biological self is your destiny and any attempt to change that is evil (and Charles Darwin is evil too, I would have never done that to the monkey if it weren't for his influence).

Which is probably also why it slots so easily into antisemitic Doctors' Plot type conspiracies.

Polly Pickpocket
May 14, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

The Guardian speedily edited out that terf shite from the Sex Education review (and closed and deleted the comments)

They never mention other "surgery on healthy bodies" that happens literally every day (like pinning kids ears back if they stick out). It's almost like they don't actually give a poo poo.

Of course, I'd argue that if someone's experiencing extreme gender dysphoria then their body isn't healthy, and they deserve whatever treatment is needed to get them better.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
abortions are also surgical procedures that can be performed on healthy bodies, come to think of it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Angepain posted:

abortions are also surgical procedures that can be performed on healthy bodies, come to think of it

How is pregnancy anything but a tumour?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We should also ban ballet, as it irreparably changes your body at a young age.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

Most are telemedical procedures now, unless they have to be done after the 24 week limit (which is in place due to St. Thomas Aquinas philosophizing that that's when the soul enters the fetus way back in the 13th century). But yeah, that's probably why Rowling et al were completely silent about the Carla Foster case and

quote:

The number of women and girls facing police investigations and the threat of life imprisonment under current abortion laws has risen over the past three years, according to BPAS. In 2022, a woman who used abortion medication in a failed attempt to end her own pregnancy was reported to the police by her medical team.
under Victorian legislation from over 60 years before women were even allowed to vote.

Their Rees-Moggian and white evangelical sponsors don't like any bit of the actual feminism part, it's all about wonderful natural "biological bodies" and heteropatriarchy being a law of nature.

And then a layer down from that it's fully Bob Moron and David Icke style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kknXBbnppzA

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Nenonen posted:

I thought it was more of a parasitic infestation?

e: actual content:

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1704886209904820390

:allears: (and yes, of course nothing will come of it... )

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 21, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mega Comrade posted:

Diana is the only royal I've ever thought isn't an irredeemable oval office.
Anne? I've always been impressed that she said "No, no titles for my children, thanks." She also doesn't seem to say stupid things very much (in front of cameras, anyway).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Parasite would be a better word.... gently caress tumours. :argh:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mega Comrade posted:

Ah, yes, Prince Harry has already been memory holed from the Royals.

I mean, the obvious answer is "don't have a Royal Family," but I'll admit I'm biased on that front.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

The Question IRL posted:

Ah, yes, Prince Harry has already been memory holed from the Royals.

I mean, the obvious answer is "don't have a Royal Family," but I'll admit I'm biased on that front.

I haven't memory holed him, I just don't think hes done anything to deserve real praise. Sure he's come out against his family but only when he could package and sell it as a book, a podcast and a tvshow.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Unironically, yes

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mega Comrade posted:

I haven't memory holed him, I just don't think hes done anything to deserve real praise. Sure he's come out against his family but only when he could package and sell it as a book, a podcast and a tvshow.

Well he did sort of push for & co-found the Invictus Games which apparently this year were received really well around the world though got very little air-time in the UK (I'm given to understand as I don't watch sport regardless of who is playing).

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Or at the very least dancing 'en pointe' anyway. I was surprised going to the ballet the amount of thudding noise they make - no 'gliding about like swans'. Must be hell on their feet and leg joints. Images of ballet dancers' feet are horrible & I read somewhere that they get very bad knee, hip and back problems if they do it for years.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 21, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anne? I've always been impressed that she said "No, no titles for my children, thanks." She also doesn't seem to say stupid things very much (in front of cameras, anyway).

All the royals are fantastically wealthy and therefore assholes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the phrase "wallet inspectre of communism" just popped into my head and I don't know what to do with it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Life saving and gender affrming hormones for teens: interfering with biological processes, pumping your body full of chemicals; these people need to accept the changes to their body nature intended.

Hormone therapy for middle aged women: ah no, you see the thing is...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Miftan posted:

All the royals are fantastically wealthy and therefore assholes.

You're right, and I withdraw my comment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

Parasite would be a better word.... gently caress tumours. :argh:
Having 'pregnancy' as just its own thing and being openly honest that it can go wrong in many different ways is probably the healthiest option, because the whole reason behind

Guavanaut posted:

St. Thomas Aquinas philosophizing that that's when the soul enters the fetus way back in the 13th century
was due to needing a difference between the types of spontaneous terminations that did or did not require a priest to deliver rites, so maybe these days let's just really not, unless specifically requested.

We can admit that teratomas and strange blastocysts and germ cell tumours all exist, that the process of gestating is a long and complex thing, that things can go wrong, and also tell both the clergy and the courts to just maybe stand back a bit, just for a few months eh, unless they are specifically requested to get involved.

I know both fancy themselves as the universal moral law of their domain, but when they're both running on 800 year old philosophy hot takes there's a good case to just substitute the whole thing with some kind of doula-patient-practitioner advocacy relationship in this instance.

Dabir posted:

the phrase "wallet inspectre of communism" just popped into my head and I don't know what to do with it
:hmmyes:
Isn't that just Trotskyism?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Having 'pregnancy' as just its own thing and being openly honest that it can go wrong in many different ways is probably the healthiest option, because the whole reason behind

was due to needing a difference between the types of spontaneous terminations that did or did not require a priest to deliver rites, so maybe these days let's just really not, unless specifically requested.

We can admit that teratomas and strange blastocysts and germ cell tumours all exist, that the process of gestating is a long and complex thing, that things can go wrong, and also tell both the clergy and the courts to just maybe stand back a bit, just for a few months eh, unless they are specifically requested to get involved.

I dunno I kinda like calling it "gestating". That's some sci-fi alien poo poo and sounds as metal as the whole process actually is.

Sure your teeth might fall out, you might get (temporary??) diabetes and your body will be stretched beyond every limit imaginable but at the end you scream and through blood and sweat and tears (both kinds) you produce a human who is also bloody and screaming. And what do you call this act? Gestation!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does seem like mitosis is just a much better method.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Miftan posted:

I dunno I kinda like calling it "gestating". That's some sci-fi alien poo poo and sounds as metal as the whole process actually is.

Sure your teeth might fall out, you might get (temporary??) diabetes and your body will be stretched beyond every limit imaginable but at the end you scream and through blood and sweat and tears (both kinds) you produce a human who is also bloody and screaming. And what do you call this act? Gestation!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

That was the exact thing I was thinking of, so I'm glad(?) I could convey it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

On this point, in addition to what Guavanaut said, there are also improvements to the way we handle what happens when pregnancy dies as that's another topic that society deems taboo.

For instance, the difference between stillbirth and miscarriage.

Stillbirth is when a pregnant woman loses the baby after 26 weeks. Miscarriage is when it happens before the 26 week mark.

Now I understand the difference between the two, but if you suffer a Stillbirth you are entitled to have the child registered as a death and get a Certificate of death. (An official acknowledgement that your child existed.)

If you suffer a miscarriage, you don't.

And I can absolutely understand why you divide these situations up (some women can suffer lots of miscarriages for a lot of reasons, particularly if they are trying to conceive and have an underlying health condition.)

But equally, you'd need a heart of stone to go along with the position "your baby died at 25 weeks. No recognition or support from the state for you."

Another area I personally believe is that people who suffer child lose such as miscarriage and Stillbirth should be entitled to a yearly sum like the child support payment. Even a once a year payment of £50 could be used to allow the families to have a small birthday celebration for the child they never got to keep.
It's what we do every year on the day that would have been our daughters birthday and back when money was really tight it was something that should help.

I know that the Conservative ghouls would baulk at this saying that the poors would just get pregnant, lose their babies so they could rake it in social welfare payments. Fully failing to realise no parent wants to have their child die.

But, as I said, it's a longer discussion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Highly advanced quiverfull mathematics allow me to claim a quintillion pounds from the government because I am not actively procreating all the time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

Let's store it in the thread title until we can find a use.

Mods?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

I know that the Conservative ghouls would baulk at this saying that the poors would just get pregnant, lose their babies so they could rake it in social welfare payments. Fully failing to realise no parent wants to have their child die.
So many of these kinds of positions say more about the accuser than the accused: Essentially the kind of weaponised projection that revolves around "I am a complete sociopath and habitually twist the system, and therefore I assume that everyone else is/does too."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It could also suggest an instinctive understanding of how hosed up society is that some people will do a lot of hosed up things to make it easier to survive, but I personally would say maybe we should build a less hosed up society as a result of that.

Unaccountably that is not the usual response.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well he did sort of push for & co-found the Invictus Games

Do you know more about this? I'm curious about buying some wheelchair tyres from something called Invictus Active, which I assume are related and I am apprehensive about it as they are like £600 and how much of that goes to the dork prince? I've tried googling companies house everything idk. My chair is italian which was a terrible idea post-brexit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Funka posted:

Do you know more about this? I'm curious about buying some wheelchair tyres from something called Invictus Active, which I assume are related and I am apprehensive about it as they are like £600 and how much of that goes to the dork prince? I've tried googling companies house everything idk. My chair is italian which was a terrible idea post-brexit.

I don't know anymore sorry.
Might be worth emailing either them or invictus games and asking if there is a connection.

Ed: I just looked round their website (esp About Us page) and they don't mention the Invictus Games at all so I doubt there's any connection else I'm sure they would have!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 21, 2023

Funka
Jan 4, 2006
Cheers thanks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Diana was the worst oval office of the lot of them. A scheming, backbiting bitch who positioned herself to nab a prince then hosed anything in trousers because he had the bad taste to remain in love with the woman he actually wanted to marry. That was the galling bit for her, I think; she didn't really care if Charles loved her as long as she got to be a princess, but damned if he was going to love anyone else. But she played the media like a fiddle to paint herself as a martyr; then she got killed while being chased by the paps whose attention she'd courted relentlessly - not some conspiracy set up by Brenda, come the gently caress on people - and she became an untouchable saint. I'm shocked and surprised to see anyone here falling for it, though. I'd thought we had a higher level of media awareness in the UKMT.

That said, Kate Middleton might be worse just because she was totally open about what she was doing and unlike her late mother-in-law, doesn't appear to have any limits to what she'll tolerate to be a royal. Bad as Diana was, Charles was wrong to have an affair with Camilla - she was married when it started even if he wasn't - and Diana was at least willing to give up the palaces and position over it, even if she did manage to style herself as "the People's Princess". Kate's also racist as gently caress. Diana probably was too, but again she kept it quiet.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Invictus, as in the games, is presumably a charity?

So surely he's not taking money from things associated with it?

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they're still gushing about those two old cunts speaking garbled french lol

if some poor git on the apprentice or something spoke french like they'd be a laughing stock