Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Steve Jobs would never have let Apple sell those cases without insisting that people just didn’t understand them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

overpriced, cheap-feeling and easily scratched up - a worthy successor to apple premium leather cases :laugh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Fine ordered a bullstrap.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Apple leather case isn’t really scratched up. The sides took a beating because I drop it a lot and the pocket wear looks terrible but the one thing it has going for it is being scratch resistant.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But how many times have you tried to scratch it with a fingernail?

I'm not saying the fine woven cases are good, they're a piece of poo poo, but I feel like that test isn't very objective.

I just put a fingernail mark into my silicone case that I can't rub away.. don't recall anyone complaining about that in all the years it's been available.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure the complaints aren’t centered around fingernails have more to do with the quality being poor overall. Good job scratching your own case because you didn’t read the article though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The fingernail test has been a common talking point in several reviews and videos. So perhaps you should go read those articles too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Apples cases have always been lovely, it’s just hitting the algorithm now

I got a Spigen Hybrid and a Caseology Parallax for my 15 Pro

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah you can always scratch cases if you try, what matters is if it collects noticeable wear after some actual IRL usage. RIP early adopters finding out for the rest of us.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Don’t let Mother Nature hear everyone talking like this.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm buying every case ever and Apple can't stop me

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Taima posted:

Oh hey by the way, interestingly there have been some big updates to the wired buds in concert with the 15 release that is worth knowing.

They not only support Lossless audio now, they apparently have a DAC built in??

That's a huge upgrade. They apparently sound really good. :shrug: who would have thought.

The Lightning buds have a DAC built in too, I believe the same one that’s in the 3.5mm dongle. The wired buds have basically always supported lossless, because they’re wired. Any upgrade is more likely from Apple getting better at tuning headphones and improvements in DACtech in the years since the Lightning buds than anything specifically different in the chip itself.

Though I’ll always hold that the Earpods have always been good, they just suck for walking around with. I have a pair by my bed basically at all times because they’re pretty good bedphones.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Plugging again the Caudabe Sheath. Doesn’t scratch, super slim, and they’ll basically send you two cases instead of one if you order by the 27th. One with action button cover, one without.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Fine woven is fine, gently caress the haters. Everyone just mad they can’t murder animals for their phone anymore

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
For every animal you don’t make into a phone case I’ll make 2

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Zwille posted:

Fine woven is fine, gently caress the haters. Everyone just mad they can’t murder animals for their phone anymore

The animals are dying anyway.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zwille posted:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Zwille posted:

Yeah it seems fine, but I would argue that the Leather case was also not worth the money, and you always pay a premium for their accessories.

Like Soul Glo said the algorithm is just hot on hatin' Apple for poo poo they've been doing basically the whole time

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or like it's a brand new product line and people are talking about them.

Impossible to know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taima posted:

Oh hey by the way, interestingly there have been some big updates to the wired buds in concert with the 15 release that is worth knowing.

They not only support Lossless audio now, they apparently have a DAC built in??

That's a huge upgrade. They apparently sound really good. :shrug: who would have thought.

e: ah yeah- a video that might be interesting was uploaded today that explains it further https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8CA6Hexuo4
None of this is new.

Any headphones directly connecting to Lightning or USB-C *have* to have a DAC built in since neither port outputs an analog signal, so there needs to be a conversion in there somewhere to actually be able to listen to music. I don't know if it's the same one in the adapters (I assume it is), but the Lightning one, at least, is regarded for being shockingly good and competing with things multiples of its $9 price.

Lossless on EarPods isn't new, either, as it has been available on any wired headphones.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The leather case was hilarious when it started to come apart, I mean it was clear that it’d be thin but THAT thin? Why even use leather at that point lol. I’ll agree that it’s a nice feel though and it aged well. How fine woven ages remains to be seen but my travel passport felt similarly if more coarse and that aged all right.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

I'm not saying the fine woven cases are good, they're a piece of poo poo, but I feel like that test isn't very objective.

I just put a fingernail mark into my silicone case that I can't rub away.. don't recall anyone complaining about that in all the years it's been available.

Just did but I don’t have giant TikTok nails

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Well this is annoying. Xfinity Mobile just sent my fedex tracking number and they are not letting me hold it somewhere. I specifically checked in a store because I didn't want to have it shipped to my house, and not only can I not have it shipped to work I can't have it held somewhere, so I'm gonna have to drive to my apartment building grab the thing off the door on my lunchbreak and then try to get it somewhere to hold for saturday.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 17.0.1 is out and contains important bug fixes and security updates, according to Apple.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LionYeti posted:

Well this is annoying. Xfinity Mobile just sent my fedex tracking number and they are not letting me hold it somewhere. I specifically checked in a store because I didn't want to have it shipped to my house, and not only can I not have it shipped to work I can't have it held somewhere, so I'm gonna have to drive to my apartment building grab the thing off the door on my lunchbreak and then try to get it somewhere to hold for saturday.

Good news, they're not supposed to deliver phones without a signature and are *pretty* good about actually requiring it for them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

njsykora posted:

The Lightning buds have a DAC built in too, I believe the same one that’s in the 3.5mm dongle. The wired buds have basically always supported lossless, because they’re wired. Any upgrade is more likely from Apple getting better at tuning headphones and improvements in DACtech in the years since the Lightning buds than anything specifically different in the chip itself.

Though I’ll always hold that the Earpods have always been good, they just suck for walking around with. I have a pair by my bed basically at all times because they’re pretty good bedphones.

I actually really like my earpod pros (and their noise cancellation is really nice).

I still have my old airpods from a few years ago and don't know how to get rid of them properly. Can I take them to Apple to have them recycled or whatever?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I actually really like my earpod pros (and their noise cancellation is really nice).

I still have my old airpods from a few years ago and don't know how to get rid of them properly. Can I take them to Apple to have them recycled or whatever?

Any Applestore should recycle any apple gear for free I think.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

njsykora posted:

bedphones.

Lol this is good I'm going to use this

Endless Mike posted:

Good news, they're not supposed to deliver phones without a signature and are *pretty* good about actually requiring it for them.

I tried two separate times REALLY hard to get them to release without a signature and both times they told me to go gently caress myself

You can totally have a neighbor sign for it though if they are cool with watching for it, usually at least.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 21, 2023

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You could trade it in at Best Buy for a small amount. I'm getting $15 for my 2017 gen 2 airpods and gonna get some airpod pros with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inner Light posted:

I would be wary of this option. The way that laws often work in the US, with lack of consumer protection: once the product leaves the distributor in a box, the product is no longer the property of the company. They can try to pin it on the delivery company, but if you refuse delivery and the package is "lost" on its way back to the shipper, you may be SOL. You would be trying to return a product that you have already purchased, and that you don't have possession of.

Isn’t that the same risk as shipping it back?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

I’ve fingernail-scratched my dbrand leather back skin a number of times and it always rubs out

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’ve scratched the official leather case and it won’t rub out.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, my 11 pro Apple leather case has held up pretty nicely - there's a big scratch on the back and a lot of patina(in a good way). The exception is the bottom of the case where it's completely come apart and has been tearing up for about a year now. It doesn't seem like the finewoven case will hold up as well, but let's see. Also, the dark blue finewoven is a fine enough color, looks about the same as navy other dark blue / navy color to me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

glassyalabolas posted:

You could trade it in at Best Buy for a small amount. I'm getting $15 for my 2017 gen 2 airpods and gonna get some airpod pros with it.

Yeah maybe I should do that, I hadn't thought of it. Thanks!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Rageaholic posted:

iOS 17.0.1 is out and contains important bug fixes and security updates, according to Apple.

seems like someone forgot to port over all the exploit/bug fixes from the latest 16 release. or they didn't make the cutoff and they had to wait

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Aphrodite posted:

Or like it's a brand new product line and people are talking about them.

Impossible to know.

The complaints I am seeing are that it is not worth $60 which has been categorically true of all Apple phone cases, so :shrug:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bullstrap doesn't have anything to protect the bottom of the phone? That's...concerning.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nah it’s good actually. Makes swiping up from the bottom edge so much easier, and the speaker/microphone much more open.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just don’t drop your phone that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

hatty posted:

Just don’t drop your phone that way

I'm sorry, you did not drop your phone in an authorized manner so we cannot service it. Have a good day