Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Endorph posted:

that match was great because ziggler kept trying to get poo poo like a tower spot to happen instead of just telling everyone to do the obvious thing of everyone ganging up on henry and then going back to the match they had planned

It was so cool.

Even in times of crisis, he can't be held back from Ziggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hollywood just gained another Hunk...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I will always ziggle for the Zigster

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He didn't even get to try out Big Ziggy.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

dolph debuted by shaking hands with people backstage and saying "hi im dolph ziggler" like he was a pokemon. i think his first big in ring promo was making fun of pat patterson and it was loving wretched. kind of amazing he made it past a year and was even champion for a cup of coffee

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

I saw a thing that said Sheamus’ deal is up in 2024 so I’d assume he doesn’t get released and if anything doesn’t re-sign next year if he intends to leave

he's probably been watching claudio unleash his inner violence pervert and wants to get in on it

i'm down for a BAR reunion

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

If by jounalist, you mean he goes on Fox News and talks about beating his kids, then yeah I guess he became a journalist

Maybe he just meant he was going to beat his kids Rey Mysterio style

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are Pokemon known for shaking hands? I think quite a few of them don't even have hands.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Are Pokemon known for shaking hands? I think quite a few of them don't even have hands.

Every pokemon battle follows the code of honor

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

dodgeblan posted:

it's hard to understand people getting into wrestling through WWE in the 2010s

I'm taking sanity damage trying to comprehend it

I'm still recovering but weekly doses of Dynamite and puro are helping me manage my symptoms.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zigglypuff

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

They lived in an era where the only easily obtainable alternative was TNA. No chance they were seeing Bryan Danielson era ROH. To them Ziggler style WWE was the only wrestling they knew until four years ago.

I want to argue but ... you are right. Like with me I had a dad who took me to wrestling and there were multiple companies when I was a kid. When I was a teen a friend brought over 90s Japan, ROH and weird indie "tapes" and we watched that. Same friend would email me links to follow ROH, DDP, NJPW, SHIMMER, Chikara, PWG and other stuff all through the "dark period" but make no mistake... I hated WWE but that and TNA were the easiest thing to watch. Local indies were fun but the only big time shows I could see live were wwe. Was the easiest way to get a group of friends to go see wrassling.

I know one of my old friends turned acquaintance really had no idea of anything other than wwe. I tried to get him to watch other stuff and he'd just "nah." Got him to check out AEW and hoping he checks out other stuff but really... most of us goons are kind of the exception to the rule. A good chunk of people during the WWE REIGN OF TERROR had no idea of any kind of wrestling exists outside of wwe. Hell I've heard people of various ages use WWE in real life like we would say Q-Tip or Kraft Dinner. TNA? Hardly even a footnote to the general public no matter what they tried. Crazy to think how WWE almost successfully rewrote reality to the masses (outside Japan at least) where they were the only wrestling company: past, present future. The certainly did everything vile they could to make it that way.

Kinda feel like the corp will still be around and may even make money but it's the passing of that phase. Again I could see them being successful or just as likely get parted off and sold off by Endeavor but it just feels like the absolute domination phase of it's existence is over. Maybe I am being naive. Either way I am cool as the biggest gripe I had with wwe was their obsession with not just domination but destruction of everything not wwe. WWE turning into just another territory and running Roman Reigns as champion until the heat death of the universe? Whatever.

That got me. I was watching Heels the other day and I still wonder at that alternative universe where Cody went to somewhere in the South and created his own wrassling Fed. With some of these releases that might not be a bad idea. Please don't share this with WWE or they might fight the releases. C'mooooon WWE.... let another turf rise from your ashes. Any person right out of college can lay on their back for the Anoa'is.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 21, 2023

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Sheamus is someone I've been dying to see do a run outside of WWE for over a decade now.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

They should release the Usos so I can finally get my dream match Usos vs Young Bucks

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

dodgeblan posted:

I started watching circa 2009 (in fact the first episode of Raw I watched, at random, was the one where the big storyline was that Vince had sold Raw to a mystery buyer, who turned out to be...Donald Trump.)

Listen: It started as an ironic thing that my roommate and I watched while knocking a few back hanging out on Monday nights, and then it became an earnest fandom. We did eventually seek out better wrestling, old ROH shows and the like, but we were fully on-board for that terrible era.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Sheamus is someone I've been dying to see do a run outside of WWE for over a decade now.

He's a guy that could do it any time anywhere.

Always room for a big dude who hits hard

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They just fired Ziggy so they can rehire him for a fraction of his contract money.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, I'd like to see what Ziggler can do away from the WWE. People seem to take pleasure in making GBS threads all over him regularly, but like, the guy is talented.

I also am pretty sure Tenille Dashwood and Mustafa Ali will be fine. They'll find a home somewhere like Japan, ROH or AEW (or all three!).

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Please don't sign anybody, Tony. Have some standards.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

JethroMcB posted:

I started watching circa 2009 (in fact the first episode of Raw I watched, at random, was the one where the big storyline was that Vince had sold Raw to a mystery buyer, who turned out to be...Donald Trump.)

Listen: It started as an ironic thing that my roommate and I watched while knocking a few back hanging out on Monday nights, and then it became an earnest fandom. We did eventually seek out better wrestling, old ROH shows and the like, but we were fully on-board for that terrible era.

I get it, wrestling is still wrestling. And if your only exposure was the product at the time I can see how it might win you ever.

But WWE at that time was so bizarre, unrewarding and contemptuous of the viewer that I just don't get it.

Like you were still pretty new when heel michael cole started!!! How did that not drive you off?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Rarity posted:

Shard will succeed where EMF failed us and buy the forum jackets

I wouldn’t buy WWE, not that the market is anything but gambling for degenerates but if I had the money i’m buying put options, WWE is extremely overvalued.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think I should probably get really really parasocial about this, especially when the NXT releases start.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Sticky Nate posted:

Please don't sign anybody, Tony. Have some standards.

ziggler has been a fixture for so long that his style is basically background noise at this point. He's a good wrestler obviously but the world just doesn't need any more dolph ziggler matches, there's already been enough

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Ziggler reached his peak long ago. Everyone loved him and then he cashed in and then people immediately got tired of him. You can pin some of that on the booking but I also think he's just not able to connect with audiences. Just look at his stand up.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

rotinaj posted:

I feel extremely bad for anyone who was watching as a small child during the raw guest host era

20 years from now we'll find out that it had more of an impact on brain development than blood lead levels

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tony already used all the spare cash on re-signing RUSH, a guy better than anyone who will be released today. unless like, Pete Dunne gets released then there's nobody worth cramming into the overstuffed turkey that is AEW.

People clamoring for Emma seem to forget Tony didn't give a single poo poo the first time she was a free agent lol

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

dodgeblan posted:

For me, I got into wrestling in late 07 through a combination of the video games (I had rented WCW/nWo Revenge a lot growing up and wanted to play something with a robust character creator and I fell in love with SvR06 thanks to the local rental place) and Smackdown/WWECW because they aired back to back on Saturdays when I was in high school. Looking back a lot of it wasn't very good but when it's the only game in town and you find the craft of wrestling fascinating because your drama teacher told you to watch it to see examples of stage combat, all it takes is one little thing to hook you. For me it was the entrance music. Everyone has their leitmotif that tells you about the characters and that was the coolest thing to me, especially when you had Deuce N Domino coming out riding a convertible and I was really into The Outsiders at the time.

For all its many faults, it was shiny and new to me, unlike anything I had ever watched on TV, and then I devoured Mick Foley's books from my local library and it was just such a fascinating world full of new things to learn both on-screen and off. Even when I was watching gifs and 144p YouTube camrips of Bryan Danielson ROH matches, WWE was still cool enough to me because it was this weekly thing I could tune into and see my little guys enter to their themes and do big fighty-type moves in front of a big crowd and eventually post about online. There was a sense of wonder to it all. When it sucked it was just boring but there was always next week and sometimes the stuff that was bad was really, really funny. Eventually, shortly after Wrestlemania 30, the glow faded more-or-less for good for me because I felt like I had felt the biggest possible emotion that wrestling could give me with Bryan's win and I was satisfied - though thank god this year especially proved me totally wrong about that. A little bit after that, independents started becoming more accessible than ever outside of the CHIKARA DVDs I bought or the few iPPVs I was willing to shell out for like High Noon and Final Battle 2010.

I think a combination of scale & pageantry, a sense of weekly progression that did actually exist back then (even when things were bad, they at least developed), and accessibility are why a lot of people who started watching around that era stuck with it. When you don't have anything on its level to compare it to and the only company that the One With The Biggest Voice ever bothered putting over to any degree was ECW, you just kinda roll with whatever you're seeing. Nowadays, there's so much wrestling of all levels past and present out there and there's actually a competitor on the air so it's easier to be critical especially when the week-to-week programming has been utterly joyless, but WWE still has enough market dominance to have that nostalgic grip for a lot of people.

Most people see WWE as something to watch with their buddies and a slice of pizza and nothing more. I think everyone who has ever wrestled or been into wrestling to the degree that they post about it online in dedicated communities has some degree of sick obsession in them and that's just how it be

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/ImChelseaGreen/status/1704940099585151471

did they fire a current champion? stay tuned...

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eat My Fuc posted:

I wouldn’t buy WWE, not that the market is anything but gambling for degenerates but if I had the money i’m buying put options, WWE is extremely overvalued.

I love you man but I'm still gonna be forever sad you never bought us jackets. Is it cuz half the forum would ask for size 5+xxL?

Also tell your boy Cody to go and make a new Southern Style Wrassling Fed. I 100% would watch a high drama Product directed by the American Nightmare. Again Heels would be a good baseline and I could absolutely see Cody or Brandi making a "farm" on their stadium grounds and claim farming assistance. If you hire CM Punk only hire him as Ricky Rabies.

Love ya EMF.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 21, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah wrestling at it’s best is a social and casual activity like all sports. You watch the game with friends, you have a good time and good food, and if the game is actually good or memorable that’s a bonus.

But just as there are sports fans that watch every game alone if need be and obsess over it there’s wrestling fans who watch religiously and obsess over it. Who value and enjoy not just the game more than that social stuff but also the noise around it. And build communities of like minded folks to hang out with. And they’re called fanatics for a reason.

I think the main difference between sports fans and wrestling fans is that “sports” is such a wide umbrella that even obsessive fans can diversify their hobby. The narrower the hobby gets the more intensive obsession can get.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Whoa

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

I love you man but I'm still gonna be forever sad you never bought us jackets. Is it cuz half the forum would ask for size 5+xxL?

Also tell your boy Cody to go and make a new Southern Style Wrassling Fed. I 100% would watch a high drama Product directed by the American Nightmare. Again Heels would be a good baseline and I could absolutely see Cody or Brandi making a "farm" on their stadium grounds and claim farming assistance. If you hire CM Punk only hire him as Ricky Rabies.

Love ya EMF.

I would enjoy all of that.

I am going to open a japanese steakhouse for marks only, with our own jackets. Every poster will wear one as a badge of honor, mark nation, posting strong.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Quincy Elliot has been fired

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Good riddance to a transphobic piece of poo poo.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah wrestling at it’s best is a social and casual activity like all sports. You watch the game with friends, you have a good time and good food, and if the game is actually good or memorable that’s a bonus.

But just as there are sports fans that watch every game alone if need be and obsess over it there’s wrestling fans who watch religiously and obsess over it. Who value and enjoy not just the game more than that social stuff but also the noise around it. And build communities of like minded folks to hang out with. And they’re called fanatics for a reason.

I think the main difference between sports fans and wrestling fans is that “sports” is such a wide umbrella that even obsessive fans can diversify their hobby. The narrower the hobby gets the more intensive obsession can get.

Got to disagree on this 1

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DLC Inc posted:

Tony already used all the spare cash on re-signing RUSH, a guy better than anyone who will be released today. unless like, Pete Dunne gets released then there's nobody worth cramming into the overstuffed turkey that is AEW.

People clamoring for Emma seem to forget Tony didn't give a single poo poo the first time she was a free agent lol

Butch Dunne just made it into an nxt tournament final so it’s the perfect day to cut him

Seams posted:

Quincy Elliot has been fired

who?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

PlasticAutomaton posted:

a transphobic piece of poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

The best way to enjoy things is the way I do it and any more makes you a weirdo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think he was the guy people thought was awesome because he cut some very queer promos and then he turned out to be a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

History Comes Inside! posted:

I think he was the guy people thought was awesome because he cut some very queer promos and then he turned out to be a piece of poo poo.

Also outed Indi Hartwell, dude's a scumbag