Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Starfield is a wonderful game that does a lot of low queue depth small block size IO. Talked about it earlier but theoretically this is the exact type of workload that solidigms smart driver promises to be a solution for
Isn't the Solidigm driver trying to do QD1 readahead for sequential loads? Starfield is mostly hammering in a random I/O fashion which doesn't let the magic driver do predictive reads. Optane would actually be really good for this, though, it shines for this sort of workload. Some of the datacenter/enterprise SSDs are also tuned for this kind of workload, too.

phongn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 13, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

phongn posted:

Isn't the Solidigm driver trying to do QD1 readahead for sequential loads? Starfield is mostly hammering in a random I/O fashion which doesn't let the magic driver do predictive reads. Optane would actually be really good for this, though, it shines for this sort of workload. Some of the datacenter/enterprise SSDs are also tuned for this kind of workload, too.

I’m only going off the video posted which just shows that it’s low QD/BS and the solidigm white paper which says most games are that plus sequential. I haven’t seen anything that says Starfield is not just low QD/BS but highly random as well. Would be hilarious if that’s the case

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Or, and I'm just spitballing some crazy blue-sky solutions here, someone at Bethesda could have spent an hour with a performance profiler any time in last two years and said "dang, we really need file queuing or something to keep these disk reads from stalling the engine".

But this is a space game where the stars don't render on current AMD GPUs and old Nvidia GPUs, so maybe I'm expecting too much.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

In their defense, Bethesda wouldn't be the only ones who write software but have no idea what they are actually doing to a disk and why its bad

*looks in horror at some blktrace data I've taken*

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Klyith posted:

Or, and I'm just spitballing some crazy blue-sky solutions here, someone at Bethesda could have spent an hour with a performance profiler any time in last two years and said "dang, we really need file queuing or something to keep these disk reads from stalling the engine".
Microsoft's really big about using DirectStorage now on Xbox and Windows, and a flagship game from one of their flagship game studios isn't using it...?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

phongn posted:

Microsoft's really big about using DirectStorage now on Xbox and Windows, and a flagship game from one of their flagship game studios isn't using it...?

Starfield's been in development longer than DirectStorage has existed, much less than how long MS has owned them.

Maybe that'll be the next bit of the Gamebryo Creation Engine they ship-of-theseus out for Elder Scrolls VI.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Didn’t MS only buy them because they heard Sony wanted to make Starfield PS exclusive?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

That's good you got it working, but why does one half of the transfer mode say x2 instead of x4? Shouldn't they both be x4?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Ofecks posted:

That's good you got it working, but why does one half of the transfer mode say x2 instead of x4? Shouldn't they both be x4?

I posted about it earlier in the thread while discussing the dying Team Group SSD this one's replacing, but I'm on a lovely HP prebuilt with a cut-down proprietary motherboard. Limiting the M.2 slot to 3x2 is one of its many downsides, but that's still about 3 times faster than the SATA cap, so, like.. whatever

I bought it during the GPU drought for slightly more than the GPU+CPU alone would've cost me at the time.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ofecks posted:

The drive is x4 but the slot it's plugged in to is only x2.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WhyteRyce posted:

Didn’t MS only buy them because they heard Sony wanted to make Starfield PS exclusive?

That's what Phil Spencer says, but that's a bullshit justification reach. It absolutely would have been a timed exclusive like Deathloop. Probably not that long a time either. (He's talking about it now because people are antsy about MS buying Activision.)

The reality was, Bethesda's been available forever if anyone wanted to make a big enough offer, and MS needed some games if they were gonna keep doing consoles. They made such a big mess of the studios they bought / their publisher-owned projects they were running during the 360/xbone transition. In the meantime Sony started cranking out bangers, and Japan as a whole had an incredibly revitalized turnaround (and while publishers like Capcom will put stuff on xbox, the PS will always be the preferred system if nobody's paying them).

I assume when Spencer took over the job, he told the higher-ups that being in the console business was about having games, not the best hardware. And that they should either make plans to spend the type of money needed to compete with Sony's stable of devs, or get out of the business.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This may be a stupid question, but would anyone think there is a market for SSDs manufactured in 2009? I got like almost 20 128GB of some Lenovo branded Samsung SSDs Sata II 1.5Gbps 1.8" Micro SATA connection. 128GB, Samsung MLC chips, Samsung 1 GigaBit RAM, and a Samsung controller like what is used in the Samsung 470 SSD.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Kinda doubt it? Like, not a market in that people will pay anything significant for them. The 2009 MLC isn't particularly special today -- it will have higher endurance than a current 128GB TLC drive, but less than a 1TB drive.

A year or two ago I remember someone posted, either ITT or elsewhere, that they put small SSDs into laptops that were going to some sort of community donation program, because that made the old laptops much more usable.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
If there's any kind of Kramden Institute-ish organization near you, they'd probably love those drives. Or if you have almost 20 grandparents with laptops from the time before ubiquitous SSDs that need a tune-up.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What's the go to recommendation for an M2 NVME drive that will be used exclusively for media and other general storage? I use a WD Black SN850X 2TB for my main system drive, but my old SATA M2 doesn't work on my new board (Aorus B650 Elite AX Rev. 1.0) The manual describes the slot I wish to use thusly: M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 25110/2280 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2B_CPU)

Ideally I'd like the drive to be 2TB minimum.

Also, are there any recommended external enclosures for my old SATA M2? It's a 2TB WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD (2280). Ideally something cheap that I can use to transfer my old 2TB of stored data across to my new drive via USB.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gunder posted:

What's the go to recommendation for an M2 NVME drive that will be used exclusively for media and other general storage?

QLC drives are fine for this. Good options if you are in the US include Intel 670p or Solidigm P41 Plus at 2TB or Crucial P3 at 4TB.

Gunder posted:

but my old SATA M2 doesn't work on my new board (Aorus B650 Elite AX Rev. 1.0) The manual describes the slot I wish to use thusly: M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 25110/2280 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2B_CPU)

Yep. That's pretty much universal; M.2 sata was very much a dead-end. The only place it really made sense was slim laptops at the time when nvme still had a substantial price premium.

Gunder posted:

Also, are there any recommended external enclosures for my old SATA M2? It's a 2TB WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD (2280). Ideally something cheap that I can use to transfer my old 2TB of stored data across to my new drive via USB.

Pretty much whatever enclosure that specifically supports SATA -- anything that's USB 3+ is gonna be fine and will have the modern good type of sata-usb controller. I like orico pretty well myself.

Alternately you could get this thing and convert it to an internal drive, and keep using it. (There are also plenty of PCIe cards that have 2 m.2 slots, one for nmve drives that connects to the PCIe, and one for sata that connects via sata cable but gets power from the slot. So you only have one cable.)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

TPM+PIN is highly secure, it's the same sort of idea that phones use.

It is I, the drive encryption noob, seeking help again. I did end up purchasing a goon-sourced Pro key and that's all done. Next step is to turn on TPM (Intel PTT, in my case) in the bios. When I set it to enabled, I get this warning that kinda scares me:

Yes, I'm aware that I can do a lot of damage to my system if I don't do this correctly. Will just enabling TPM do anything by itself? When do I get the "firmware TPM key" as the text says? Or is that the hardware side of the key pair, in which case I'll never know what it is because it lives in the CPU?

That also begs the question, what happens if someone turns off TPM in the bios after BitLocker is set up and working? Do the drives still stay encrypted?

I've been reading over this link you gave me earlier, and this process is a bit confusing.
- Do I really need to gently caress around with gpedit if I want to use TPM+PIN? The BitLocker setup wizard doesn't have that option otherwise?
- What's the difference between "allow" and "require" in those gpedit options (I'm not even sure what those options mean)?
- Does this setting affect all drives? I only want TPM+PIN for my 2 internal disks. The external will be password-only, as you recommended. It doesn't look like I can combine methods, according to the article, because both methods require different settings in the same policy item.
- Do I want to use enhanced startup PINs and specify a minimum PIN length, as they mentioned?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

It is I, the drive encryption noob, seeking help again. I did end up purchasing a goon-sourced Pro key and that's all done. Next step is to turn on TPM (Intel PTT, in my case) in the bios. When I set it to enabled, I get this warning that kinda scares me:

Yes, I'm aware that I can do a lot of damage to my system if I don't do this correctly. Will just enabling TPM do anything by itself?

No.

(Or, like, mostly no -- other things besides bitlocker can use TPM. Riot's games are using TPM for fuckin' anti-cheat somehow.)

Ofecks posted:

When do I get the "firmware TPM key" as the text says? Or is that the hardware side of the key pair, in which case I'll never know what it is because it lives in the CPU?

I believe they are talking about the keys that get stored in the TPM. You don't have it. You will get a recovery key when you encrypt the drive in windows.

Ofecks posted:

That also begs the question, what happens if someone turns off TPM in the bios after BitLocker is set up and working? Do the drives still stay encrypted?

The drives stay encrypted, the TPM clears itself, and if you have lost your recovery key your data is lost forever.

Ofecks posted:

I've been reading over this link you gave me earlier, and this process is a bit confusing.
- Do I really need to gently caress around with gpedit if I want to use TPM+PIN? The BitLocker setup wizard doesn't have that option otherwise?
- What's the difference between "allow" and "require" in those gpedit options (I'm not even sure what those options mean)?
- Does this setting affect all drives? I only want TPM+PIN for my 2 internal disks. The external will be password-only, as you recommended. It doesn't look like I can combine methods, according to the article, because both methods require different settings in the same policy item.
- Do I want to use enhanced startup PINs and specify a minimum PIN length, as they mentioned?

1. AFAIK yes, but as I think I've mentioned, I've never used TPM+Bitlocker myself so I've not poked at this methods myself. (I also don't bother encrypting my OS partition, because I put personal data on other partitions.) But tenforums is generally very solid for tutorials.

2 & 3: Set it to "allow" like they show you. If you say "allow" you will get the option in step 10 to use PIN (aka TPM) or something else, if you say "require" then you must use PIN+TPM. So when you want your external drive to use password, you can.

4. Meh, up to you. Enhanced PIN means alphanumerics instead of just numbers. If you have something already memorized it might be convenient.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

No.

(Or, like, mostly no -- other things besides bitlocker can use TPM. Riot's games are using TPM for fuckin' anti-cheat somehow.)

That's interesting about anti-cheat. Anyway, I've enabled it and things seem ok. I checked tpm.msc and looks like it's active now. Weird boot process after I enabled it though:
set PTT to enabled -> save changes and restart -> PC powered off -> powered back on a few seconds later, ran for a few seconds, then powered off again -> powered back on a few seconds later then I was able to get back into bios and confirm PTT is still enabled -> no-save-exit to windows as normal.

Those bolded parts are a little concerning.

Klyith posted:

2 & 3: Set it to "allow" like they show you. If you say "allow" you will get the option in step 10 to use PIN (aka TPM) or something else, if you say "require" then you must use PIN+TPM. So when you want your external drive to use password, you can.

Ok. On that same step (4-D), it says to uncheck the "Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM" box, but won't I need to leave that checked so I can use a password on the external drive?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

set PTT to enabled -> save changes and restart -> PC powered off -> powered back on a few seconds later, ran for a few seconds, then powered off again -> powered back on a few seconds later then I was able to get back into bios and confirm PTT is still enabled -> no-save-exit to windows as normal.

Those bolded parts are a little concerning.

Some types of BIOS changes do that, and I'm not surprised the TPM did. The TPM is master control, when it's enabled it's becomes the first step of the boot process so it can play CPU cop.

So doing a full shutdown, not just a warm reboot, makes sure it can self-initialize with nothing lingering to interfere.

Ofecks posted:

Ok. On that same step (4-D), it says to uncheck the "Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM" box, but won't I need to leave that checked so I can use a password on the external drive?

You'll have to try it yourself, but during that step 4-D you're changing a setting for "Require additional authentication at startup" -- I think that will only apply to the windows partition. Other drives aren't involved in startup and get unlocked later (at user login).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

You'll have to try it yourself, but during that step 4-D you're changing a setting for "Require additional authentication at startup" -- I think that will only apply to the windows partition. Other drives aren't involved in startup and get unlocked later (at user login).

Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

There's also a tutorial for BLing a "fixed" drive, like my internal storage. Doesn't look like there's a TPM+PIN option for that, but it can be unlocked automatically when the OS drive is unlocked. Will that be sufficient security for internal storage? My brain is telling me it is, because it's dependent on the TPM+PIN for the OS drive.

Looks like BitLockerToGo can't do automatic unlocks for my external USB backup drive, so that'll have to be using a password as we've discussed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

Will that be sufficient security for internal storage?

Without knowing why you're using encryption and what threats you are concerned about, :shrug: ?

Just want to make disposing of used drives easy so you don't need to care about secure erase or whatever when you take the PC apart? Bitlocker with no PIN & automatic decryption is good enough -- remove the drive from the mobo and it is unreadable (without the recovery key). You can sell the drive to whoever with zero worries.

Prevent other people from looking at your hentai sensitive personal documents when you're away for the weekend or get hit by a bus? Auto-unlock at login when OS unlocks seems fine.

Protect actual important data, like customer PII or records for your business? I might go with manual unlock, just to keep the maximum protection of locked-at-rest when not using that data. The main way to attack encrypted storage is when it's unlocked. But this is pretty marginal.

Meet actual standards like HIPAA? Please consult a professional.

Guard your data against the Mossad? Doesn't matter, you're still gonna be Mossad'ed upon.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

It's the 2nd thing. Insurance in case my residence is burglarized and my entire PC gets stolen. Or someone makes off with the external backup.

I do plan to use all 3 of these drives when I build a new rig once Win10 goes EoL. The OS drive will be reformatted at that time, but will I need to decrypt the internal and external storage drives (that is, turn off BitLocker on them) before moving them to a different PC?

e: major issue already. If there's a better thread for me to get help with BitLocker, please let me know.

I did step 4 and configured the group policy as instructed. If I right-click my OS drive to turn on BitLocker, it does a few checks, but it does not let me "choose how to unlock your drive at startup", where I would select "enter a PIN". It goes straight to "insert a USB flash drive".

This is the first interactive screen I am presented with. Previously, my external drive showed up here, but I disconnected it and tried again. The wizard now stops at this step, I can only use the cancel button.

e2: I have a feeling this might be BIOS or TPM-related. Apparently I'm in "Legacy" BIOS mode and secure boot state is "unsupported", according to msinfo32. I recall that the last time I reformatted, my PC crashed when trying to boot UEFI via USB flash drive (to re-install Windows). There were two different boot options in the BIOS, and that one didn't work. Is this going to prevent me from setting up BitLocker the way I want to?

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 21, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

e: major issue already. If there's a better thread for me to get help with BitLocker, please let me know.

Any of the Windows OS threads is more appropriate and might get you more helpers than just me.

Ofecks posted:

I did step 4 and configured the group policy as instructed. If I right-click my OS drive to turn on BitLocker, it does a few checks, but it does not let me "choose how to unlock your drive at startup", where I would select "enter a PIN". It goes straight to "insert a USB flash drive".

e2: I have a feeling this might be BIOS or TPM-related. Apparently I'm in "Legacy" BIOS mode and secure boot state is "unsupported", according to msinfo32. I recall that the last time I reformatted, my PC crashed when trying to boot UEFI via USB flash drive (to re-install Windows). There were two different boot options in the BIOS, and that one didn't work. Is this going to prevent me from setting up BitLocker the way I want to?

Yeah, UEFI seems to be semi-required:

bitlocker reqs posted:

UEFI firmware/BIOS configuration
A Trusted Computing Group (TCG)-compliant BIOS or UEFI firmware.
The boot order must be set to start first from the hard disk, and not the USB or CD drives.

OTOH secure boot is not required.

Do you remember how you had it set when it didn't work? CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> Disabled is your most firm way to be UEFI-only. The windows USB stick is definitely UEFI capable.

(Assuming this is still the Asus Z270 mobo)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

Yeah, UEFI seems to be semi-required:

OTOH secure boot is not required.

drat, so to get this working the way I want, I'm going to have to reformat and reinstall Windows under UEFI?

Klyith posted:

Do you remember how you had it set when it didn't work? CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> Disabled is your most firm way to be UEFI-only. The windows USB stick is definitely UEFI capable.

(Assuming this is still the Asus Z270 mobo)

Same mobo, yes. No, I don't remember the settings, it was quite a while ago. Feb 2022. I can search the BIOS settings to see what I have there.

Regarding the stick, it might've been semi-corrupted when I last used it, hence the UEFI crash. I ran the current MCT on it in case I hosed something up with the system drive encryption, and Windows said it had errors on it. I did scan/repair with chkdsk (or whatever is used when I clicked on the error notification), and re-ran MCT. No errors anymore.

Historically I've kept my flash drives in a plastic ziplock bag along with my Win10 OEM DVD, my antistatic wrist strap, a few hex keys and a mSD -> SD adapter. Apparently that's a bad idea for flash drives, they need to be in those shiny antistatic bags. Could explain my issue with the previous reformat.

Klyith posted:

Any of the Windows OS threads is more appropriate and might get you more helpers than just me.

Thanks for all your help. I'll take any further questions elsewhere.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

drat, so to get this working the way I want, I'm going to have to reformat and reinstall Windows under UEFI?

If you installed windows fresh, it will be able to do UEFI. Just flip the BIOS switch and it should pick up the UEFI boot partition.

IIRC the last windows that would install to MBR & no UEFI partition was 7.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

If you installed windows fresh, it will be able to do UEFI. Just flip the BIOS switch and it should pick up the UEFI boot partition.

Apparently I have no UEFI boot partitions. Disabling CSM and restarting takes me straight to BIOS where it says I have no bootable drives.

I made a thread in HoTS about this after reading the SHSC rules. I have a feeling I'm going to need to reformat. Ugh.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

IIRC the last windows that would install to MBR & no UEFI partition was 7.

I had a Windows 7 install that I was slowly upgrading in versions over the years, but there's a Microsoft tool that can change the boot partition from MBR to GPT. I don't know the exact dark magic details it needs to do (seems like there's a lot of stuff that can break if you need to shuffle around partition and file system metadata), but it can do a dry run IIRC to see if it's at least possible.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are any of these cheap 4TB SATA SSDs any good as a secondary data drive? I'm seeing a bunch for $140-150. Teamgroup, Silicon Power, and a bunch of brands I've never seen before.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

My main PC HD seems to be failing (Corsair MP600 1TB Gen 4 PCIE from 2019). Crashed twice playing Starfield, and then the bios and windows both behaved oddly and refused to boot a few times after.

Not taking chances on data loss. Any recs? Maybe the same model name/brand? https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-MP600-NVMe-PCIe-Gen4/dp/B09Q2NCFS7 Or maybe Western Digital SN850X? I'm guessing it doesn't matter, should follow my heart, and order now so it's here tmw.

Any (performance/durability) reasons not to go for 2GB?

edit: Bought the WD 2GB + Heatsink https://www.amazon.com/WD_BLACK-SN850X-Internal-Gaming-Solid/dp/B0B7CKZGN6

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 26, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dominoes posted:

My main PC HD seems to be failing (Corsair MP600 1TB Gen 4 PCIE from 2019). Crashed twice playing Starfield, and then the bios and windows both behaved oddly and refused to boot a few times after.

Not taking chances on data loss. Any recs? Maybe the same model name/brand? https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-MP600-NVMe-PCIe-Gen4/dp/B09Q2NCFS7 Or maybe Western Digital SN850X? I'm guessing it doesn't matter, should follow my heart, and order now so it's here tmw.

Any (performance/durability) reasons not to go for 2GB?

edit: Bought the WD 2GB + Heatsink https://www.amazon.com/WD_BLACK-SN850X-Internal-Gaming-Solid/dp/B0B7CKZGN6

This post is a roller coaster of emotions and panicked misspellings. Hope it works out, I'm sure the WD will be fine as long as the SSD was your issue.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dominoes posted:

So when it "crashed" playing starfield then didn't boot, do you mean the crash was a hard reboot or power off rather than a bluescreen? Because that's almost certainly not the SSD. Far more likely to be PSU, followed by mobo or GPU.

You can use crystaldiskinfo to check SSD health stats.

Dominoes posted:

Not taking chances on data loss. Any recs?

Have backups. Any drive can die without warning at any time.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yeah want to emphasis that. Had my primary drive eat it self a few years back and the only thing that really saved me was having backblaze that had the key stuff backed up.

The cost of external hard drives is almost neglible now, and there's no reason not to have an external and cloud backup in this day and age. Backblaze is like 70 bucks a year and easy to use.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
So I'm seeing a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro going for 115€ (~$120). I don't need a NVMe drive right this instant but I've been thinking about getting one for when I buy a new motherboard and CPU at some point (given my usage, I imagine the drive will easily last me 5+ years), especially since I have less space right now. I could just get a Samsung 980 QVO (SATA, 2TB) but it's going for like 100 bucks. My use case would be regular browsing and work stuff, maybe some light gaming. Is this a good deal?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think the 990 pro is about the same price here fwiw

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kassad posted:

So I'm seeing a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro going for 115€ (~$120). I don't need a NVMe drive right this instant but I've been thinking about getting one for when I buy a new motherboard and CPU at some point (given my usage, I imagine the drive will easily last me 5+ years), especially since I have less space right now. I could just get a Samsung 980 QVO (SATA, 2TB) but it's going for like 100 bucks. My use case would be regular browsing and work stuff, maybe some light gaming. Is this a good deal?

I dunno which euro country you're in, but looking at Germany prices for 2tb drives there are good NVMe picks for 100€ like a Western Digital SN580. The 580 just came out recently and is nearly as fast as a 980 Pro. (In the US it's not priced as competitively.)

I would only get the QVO if you are getting a really good deal, like under 90e. A QLC drive would be fine for your purposes but it's not a fast drive.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Wanna grab a new drive that's also gonna be my OS drive. This fucker a good or bad idea?
https://www.komplett.no/product/1219335/datautstyr/lagring/harddiskerssd/ssd-m2/kingston-m2-nv2-pcie-40-nvme-ssd-2tb

Edit: Sorry, I'm being lazy; Gonna use it mainly for gaming, some audio and video work. Got a pretty efficient rig with a Gigabyte B450 Aorus, a 3080 and an AMD 5700X. Got two regular style SSDs already and an old HDD, and my main drive has been acting a bit weird lately, so since I was already thinking about grabbing an NVMe I reckon I can do the switch and diagnose everything in peace.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 1, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Black Griffon posted:

Wanna grab a new drive that's also gonna be my OS drive. This fucker a good or bad idea?
https://www.komplett.no/product/1219335/datautstyr/lagring/harddiskerssd/ssd-m2/kingston-m2-nv2-pcie-40-nvme-ssd-2tb

Edit: Sorry, I'm being lazy; Gonna use it mainly for gaming, some audio and video work. Got a pretty efficient rig with a Gigabyte B450 Aorus, a 3080 and an AMD 5700X. Got two regular style SSDs already and an old HDD, and my main drive has been acting a bit weird lately, so since I was already thinking about grabbing an NVMe I reckon I can do the switch and diagnose everything in peace.

Hmm, a review is headlined:

quote:

Kingston NV2 SSD Review: Cheap But Risky
A generic budget SSD with irregular hardware
Certainly QLC now, at the price they're selling it for.

If you can possibly stretch the extra 200 or 300 whatevers for the Corsair MP600 or SN580, that's what I would choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Klyith posted:

Hmm, a review is headlined:

Certainly QLC now, at the price they're selling it for.

If you can possibly stretch the extra 200 or 300 whatevers for the Corsair MP600 or SN580, that's what I would choose.

Yeah, that seems sensible. Any particular difference between the two you listed?