Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The two pre rendered cinematics in D4 were amazing, but the actual story was completely pointless. The whole mother of sanctuary idea went nowehere because she was the direct cause of all the monsters you kill this time. And then the clerofascist religion doing the both sides thing.

It's bad and dreary. I'm sorry for the artists working on this because they did an amazing job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
out of curiosity, what the gently caress was up with all the promo footage of the game looking like complete rear end visually. I assume it was some kind of encoding issue? but it also persisted across multiple platforms that all used different encoding systems. was it the absence of some dynamic lighting stuff, or conversely dynamic lighting just loving up encoding algos? but even that you'd think would make it into a screen capture? The kind of flat color palette probably didn't help, but I don't think it would account for it. Like the single biggest surprise of D4 was just how much prettier the game actually looked compared to literally any of the promo footage that came out previously. Even on pretty low settings the game still looked incredible compared to any of the earlier released footage. On higher settings it looked way, way better. I don't think I've ever seen another game where the difference between promo footage and actual in-engine graphics was that huge

like look at this, this looks nothing like the actual game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5167eNd6LA

This has a couple of moments that are better and the graphics come through decently, but for every good shot of them you'll get a few that really do not do the game justice. it is particularly bad with action shots so it probably is encoding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_VkpXudWf4

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably a YouTube thing

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

bamhand posted:

I agree with you on all those points. But for me personally, the post campaign game was just something to do while I caught up on TV shows. I wouldn't consider it a great game. Your opinion could of course vary.

sounds like an arpg to me

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
nah it was platform agnostic, i just linked youtube examples because they're easy to find

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Youtube has a feature now where you can pay to stop them from crushing the bitrate with their encoding. Which... I guess is better than never being able to do it, but still seems kind of silly to charge for.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vic posted:

The two pre rendered cinematics in D4 were amazing, but the actual story was completely pointless. The whole mother of sanctuary idea went nowehere because she was the direct cause of all the monsters you kill this time. And then the clerofascist religion doing the both sides thing.

It's bad and dreary. I'm sorry for the artists working on this because they did an amazing job.

The whole mother of sanctuary story went somewhere: expansion bait.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Lore wise the story can never go anywhere since you can’t actually destroy the prime evils or totally seal them from sanctuary. This is why Sanctuary sucks because every 3 or 4 generations literal hell breaks loose until some random dude shoves a shard up his or caves in a dungeon.

This time is different though, this time the shard is across the ocean. 😎

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shredder posted:

D2 is good the way that KISS was good. It was groundbreaking at the time, but it sucks rear end now because we have better options

slams stamina potion

I saw Kiss live last year and they were loving amazing. Much more amazing than D4’s end game.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

El Scandelouse posted:

Don’t talk to me or quote my posts ever again. I do not agree with anything you stand for. I’ve also said several times throughout the thread that the game needs serious work. It’s not like I’ve just had some epiphany due to your awful shitposting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Glad I checked the thread again

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

El Scandelouse posted:

Don’t talk to me or quote my posts ever again. I do not agree with anything you stand for. I’ve also said several times throughout the thread that the game needs serious work. It’s not like I’ve just had some epiphany due to your awful shitposting.

How is this not the probe reason.

This needs to be preserved for posterity. In the Diablo 4 thread of all places.

Maybe probe me with it?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

people itt are hella mad for some reason

just shelf this game at about 50-100h in and you shall have peace of mind imho

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Pickles posted:

precisely what I did. I have found inner peace

Namaste

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I really like the idea of Diablo, but grinding for nebulous potential rewards isn't really that fun for me, and it sounds like it isn't fun for other folks. I dunno what else to say, except I hope Blizzard makes it more fun soon.

... hey, any chance a of a mod I can install to just give me what I want? I hear mods are for cool kids.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
No mods in modern Diablo. All you can do is post about how you wish the game was.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr. Pickles posted:

The people still madposting in this threads are the ones who shelved it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just another week or so until we get the chat about the unannounced Season 2 features and changes.

Roll that beautiful bean footage.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just another week or so until we get the chat about the unannounced Season 2 features and changes.

Roll that beautiful bean footage.

D4 needs a No man's Sky level comeback to lure players back. I don't even know if it's possible with the "+3.4% vuln damage" dudes at the helm.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I haven't touched Necro or Barb yet so I guess that's Season 2 and Season 3 right there

Originally I would've guessed that S2 would be lame and S3 would have some decent stuff to try and get good press before announcing a $79.99 + $25 expansion for S4

But they seem to be eager to get Good Press sooner than later so now I'm thinking they harvest the succulent Season 3 Meats to stuff into Season 2

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I don't think that's really how multi-team dev cycles work

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just you wait when season 3 is lame and it proves me right :smuggo:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I haven't touched Necro or Barb yet so I guess that's Season 2 and Season 3 right there

Originally I would've guessed that S2 would be lame and S3 would have some decent stuff to try and get good press before announcing a $79.99 + $25 expansion for S4

But they seem to be eager to get Good Press sooner than later so now I'm thinking they harvest the succulent Season 3 Meats to stuff into Season 2

Season two gets all the cool stuff so they can build up hype for blizzcon. Then announce the first expansion then.

Sanctuary really is the perfect world for arpgs. Endless cycle of murdering the same demons over and over for their stuff.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ideally season 2 will not have a mechanic which revolves around having to kill the same annoying elite twice.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
actually youll be forced to go into NMD in caves while it is day time so your vampire pc doesn’t turn into ash and you’ll need to feed on at least one human npc per day cycle. please look forward to the new survival game food/water/blood/stamina meters for season 2: vampire boogaloo

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
I'm going to miss that banana popsicle.

harrygomm posted:

actually youll be forced to go into NMD in caves while it is day time so your vampire pc doesn’t turn into ash and you’ll need to feed on at least one human npc per day cycle. please look forward to the new survival game food/water/blood/stamina meters for season 2: vampire boogaloo

I would play the gently caress out of that.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I don't really see what much they can do in time for s2 besides just giving us way more XP for everything again, permanently. The biggest and most common complaint outside of the lvling pace seems to be the loot and idk how they'd retool that outside of a massive paid expansion.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Just had a Greatstaff of the Crone drop and it's got me wondering if I should spend the time at level 84 to swap aspects/skills/paragon points around or just keep rolling NMDs with the teampleslide build now that I've gotten this far.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tokubetsu posted:

I don't really see what much they can do in time for s2 besides just giving us way more XP for everything again, permanently. The biggest and most common complaint outside of the lvling pace seems to be the loot and idk how they'd retool that outside of a massive paid expansion.

They can start with cutting a bunch of the basically the same thing but different affixes. There doesn't need to be separate modifiers for damage to slowed, damage to stunned, etc. They also don't need individual resistances either.

Edit: Also, just loving tie gear tier to wt and be done with it. If you are in wt3 at whatever level, all your crap is sacred and if you are on wt4, it's all ancient.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 21, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think they need to redo level scaling, redo items, redo itemization, redo the over-world, scrap the strange legendary imbue system, add an endgame, add crafting, and add 4 or 5 more archetypes per class to get this game out of beta and into something presentable as a 1.0 game

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tokubetsu posted:

The biggest and most common complaint outside of the lvling pace seems to be the loot and idk how they'd retool that outside of a massive paid expansion.
For me the biggest complaint is that hard locking the upper gear levels to tiers 3 and 4 leads to this weird void around levels 65-75 where you're not getting any better gear at tier 3, but you're too weak to survive in tier 4 NMDs which means you're not upgrading your glyphs.

Once I break through, my gear will be improving again; but then again, once I have a full set of 800+ gear that means most of the drops from the NMDs will be useless.

IIRC in 3 it was just do rifts, and then when your gear / paragon points are so high you're smashing everything you go up a tier which makes things challenging and you get more gold / xp as a reward, right? It felt like more of an infinite progression, whereas 4 just feels like a slog and then nothing.

It's so weird, it feels like the point in a mobile game where they expect you to start paying money to progress further, except there's not that kind of monetisation after the backlash over Immortal's gems. So you just kind of hit a plateau and then... Roll a different character I guess?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's an interesting point. Could D4 be considered "early access"? Still?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should keep and expand on the paragon boards . Those worked and are cool. But they need add a bunch more

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

euphronius posted:

They should keep and expand on the paragon boards . Those worked and are cool. But they need add a bunch more

I think they should remove some. It doesn't make sense to have 7.

There should be no more than three. One in the middle, one I can check with Right Bumper, and one I can check with Left Bumper.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you’re too weak to survive WT4 NMDs at level 70 you’ve got more than a gear issue. You my friend have a skill issue.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

WT5 with primal gear would help.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think they should remove some. It doesn't make sense to have 7.

There should be no more than three. One in the middle, one I can check with Right Bumper, and one I can check with Left Bumper.

Sorry I don’t think about this stuff from a console mindset (no judgment)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

euphronius posted:

I think they need to redo level scaling, redo items, redo itemization, redo the over-world, scrap the strange legendary imbue system, add an endgame, add crafting, and add 4 or 5 more archetypes per class to get this game out of beta and into something presentable as a 1.0 game

I like the legendary imbueing system. Let's me take any yellow with good stats and give it the bonus I want. Wouldn't be opposed to green sets coming back though. Was fun having bizarro bonkers builds get unlocked by 3/3 set bonuses and stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mustached Demon posted:

WT5 with primal gear would help.

If you ask me, it would just maintain all the existing problems, and would make WT4 an awkward stepping stone a la WT3

The benefits of a WT5 should just be added to WT4. More XP, more gold, higher IP items from killing higher level enemies. This alongside an overhaul of loot in general

I don't want a 4th type of Yellow or the same crappy gear but with slightly higher numbers on every stat

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

Maybe 2 boards at T3, and an extra board for every tier after that? Connecting tiers to boards would let them control the difficulty a bit better, rather than now where you hit 100 and that's it, no more progression for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
I die inside when I see people saying to "wait for season x" or "it's got a good base".

Modern Blizzard can't even get a horse, a core pillar of D4, to navigate around basic environment elements.

Move on.