Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Missing the Anakin scenes is a crime, Hayden killed it and the girl they got to play young Ahsoka killed it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ep 5 is the Anakin one. Young Ahsoka was pretty good, but it's a weird to finally have an acting showcase for your stoic lead character to let loose in and not have the regular actor do it.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I've taken a similar method, the first few episodes have been semi background watchers for me. Episode 4 was actually somewhat more engaging, but I also was high as hell for that one.

I plan to actually focus on the eps going forward - five is next on my list. From what I have seen, the general consensus is fairly spot on regarding quality of episodes.

I think you could easily speed run the first 3/4 and start there, fwiw

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GoldenGun posted:

I don't have time for lovely TV. Can I watch Ashoka ep 5 on its own or do I need to wade through the first four (in which case I'll pass)?

Here's a summary of the first three episodes: Sabine and Ahsoka want to find their friend Ezra who went to a different galaxy with Thrawn and his empire remnant. Some Imperials in the New Republic have been stealing Star Destroyer hyperdrives, they get caught but The New Republic is ineffectual and doesn't think there's a threat. A witch and two dark Jedi build a giant hyperspace ring and are going to use a map to get to the other galaxy and bring Thrawn back. Most of that you could gather from the trailers.

There, now you can watch episode 4, which is okay and will set you up for 5, which is great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What the hell is a dark Jedi ??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A dude who was a Jedi then decided not to be anymore and is doing vaguely dark stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember that the Sith are both a particular institution and one thought to be extinct for centuries, so even if a Force user wants to go all dark there's no guarantee they'll get the attention of whatever Sith Lords happen to be active at the time. Solo Dark Side users have to figure poo poo out themselves.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are they actually called dark Jedi in the show or was that the posters shorthand

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
pretty sure the show only ever says that they "aren't jedi".

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah they aren't actually called dark Jedi, thankfully

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

Are they actually called dark Jedi in the show or was that the posters shorthand

The show doesn't say Dark Jedi, but the term has been around since at least the Zahn books in the early 90's. Shorthand for "Jedi who fell to the Dark Side, but isn't Sith".

edit: Though apparently the definition was revised at some point, and doesn't require the person to have been a former Jedi, according to Leeland Chee.

"A dark Jedi is anyone who practices the dark side of the Force whether or not they were a former Jedi."
―Leland Chee

A bit vague of a term, but it's fine in casual conversation. Granted this is from Legends, but whatever.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Jedi/Legends

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 21, 2023

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I don't think the show has even established that they have fallen to the dark side either, just that they aren't fighting for jedi values anymore or whatever. I'm not sure how you even know if they're on the "dark side" unless they shoot lightning or constantly talk about the dark side.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They wear black and have red lightsabers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Halloween Jack posted:

They wear black and have red lightsabers.

Yeah, but they could also just be like me, a middle-aged goth with a red laser swory.

I'm totally not a Sith!!!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Their sabers are orange to indicate they have fallen but are not completely gone.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Or it's Halloween or some video game

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GoldenGun posted:

I don't have time for lovely TV. Can I watch Ashoka ep 5 on its own or do I need to wade through the first four (in which case I'll pass)?

Thank you for asking this question; I am done watching hours and hours of dross until it "gets good".

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The best possible version of Ahsoka Show so far (barring a substantial re-edit) means skipping episodes 1, 2, and 3 entirely. You'll dodge a feature-length pile of redundant exposition and miss absolutely nothing. The story actually makes more sense without all the convoluted details.

Episode 4 begins in media res with the characters already doing their mission - which makes it quite easy to pick up on who the characters are, and what the mission is.

The show still has some dumb stuff, and tons of redundant exposition, but there'll be far less of it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Hmm, but you'll miss out on seeing Taub from House M.D. Not sure that's acceptable.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
So what was Ashoka doing during star wars, or empire strikes back? Chilling out?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah kinda what Luke did in the sequels, became a grumpy hermit/nomad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The majority of Rebels takes place before and during ANH right (with the ending being post original trilogy)?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Larryb posted:

The majority of Rebels takes place before and during ANH right (with the ending being post original trilogy)?

I think it's all pre-ANH other than the epilogue.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why is Ezra wearing Frodos mithril shirt?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why is Ezra wearing Frodos mithril shirt?

Well he's hanging out with Hobbits. Wouldn't you where a mithril shirt if you could?

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope we get a sense of what actually went down between Ezra and Thrawn years ago because I had kind of expected something different than "they're still enemies"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

La Louve Rouge posted:

I hope we get a sense of what actually went down between Ezra and Thrawn years ago because I had kind of expected something different than "they're still enemies"

As someone said in the Book Barn thread, I'm sure Zahn is already writing that book. I'm guessing, "Thrawn: Exile".

In the show itself? Maybe some mention of it when Thrawn and Ezra meet, or maybe Ezra will say something to Sabine about being a constant thorn in Thrawn's side, but with only 2 episodes left, there's not much time for flashbacks.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

josh04 posted:

Hmm, but you'll miss out on seeing Taub from House M.D. Not sure that's acceptable.

THANK YOU!

I've had that on the tip of my tongue since I saw it last night and it was driving me mad where I knew him from.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

thrawn527 posted:

As someone said in the Book Barn thread, I'm sure Zahn is already writing that book. I'm guessing, "Thrawn: Exile".

In the show itself? Maybe some mention of it when Thrawn and Ezra meet, or maybe Ezra will say something to Sabine about being a constant thorn in Thrawn's side, but with only 2 episodes left, there's not much time for flashbacks.

I haven't watched any of the show yet but I hope someone says "I am a thorn in Thrawn's side." Bonus point if they repeat that six times.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't watched any of the show yet but I hope someone says "I am a thorn in Thrawn's side." Bonus point if they repeat that six times.

Ahsoka did say "We have to stop Thrawn from becoming 'HEIR TO THE EMPIRE'" at one point.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

josh04 posted:

Ahsoka did say "We have to stop Thrawn from becoming 'HEIR TO THE EMPIRE'" at one point.

JJ poo poo except expanded universe to lure in the deep nerds

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Eason the Fifth posted:

JJ poo poo except expanded universe to lure in the deep nerds

I dunno why that would, all it does for me is remind me of what could have and should have been.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Thrawn's in it? Has Triclops or Trioculus showed up yet?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

stev posted:

I think it's all pre-ANH other than the epilogue.

It's simultaneous to Andor and Solo at times. S1 is close to where Solo is (also look how old Leia is at the time), S2 is right around where Andor is, S3 is post current Andor because that's Mon Mothma finally being done with everything and the Rebels crew smuggling her away. Last episode (besides the flash forward) is right before Rogue One, and Hera/Chopper are actually in the battle for the Death Star plans if you look closely.

Flash forward is the end of episode 2 of Ahsoka, which is also proof that we didn't really need those episodes.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 21, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rebels S1 and Andor S1 are basically contemporaenous (5 BBY), with Rebels doing a little under a season a year until just before Rogue One/ANH.

Darko posted:

Flash forward is the end of episode 2 of Ahsoka, which is also proof that we didn't really need those episodes.
It's the end of episode 2 except the live-action show undid the Ahsoka the White thing so they could redo it slightly later.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
also it really amuses me to no end seeing these usually level-headed star wars YouTubers reviewing ep 6, talking about the line where (this isn't a spoiler to any plot points) the David Tennant droid is relaying stories and something is said along the lines of "I preferred the first episode of the three the most" and the YouTubers say "subtle detail, but this MAY be a reference to people having a preference of star wars movies".

That's a massive "no poo poo" even if that part wasn't immediately followed by the droid literally saying "in a galaxy far far away". This is not a subtle detail. This is jammed in your face. I am by no means a master of subtle details but cmon. Wasn't distractingly stupid in the show.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Does Thrawn still do mad kick flips while taking hits off a bong droid?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm waiting for Thrackan Sal-Solo before I tune in

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1705077146774036869

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

Don't think those guys are canon anymore (Sheev did have a son in ROS but apparently he was a failed clone)