Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/rec...rticle-comments

It's happening! #thanksshimano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Dura-Ace and Ultegra models - poor boys stay winning :cheers:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I never thought I'd see the day. My faith in the miracle of consumer capitalism has been restored.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 21, 2023

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Sphyre posted:

gonna go against this and say that if you’re going to the effort of wearing bib shorts and a cycling jersey then just grow up and get proper shoes and pedals. i don’t care about road vs mtb pedals, but clipping in and out is just not difficult. it takes about 15 minutes max to get used to

Flats let me mix up foot positions for comfort and performance - I get better force transfer for sprinting on my midfoot, spinning feels better on the balls of my feet, sometimes my hips need me to Q my stance a little different, sometimes a patella gets spicy and I can ride on my heels while it relaxes, et cetera

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Have you considered having lower extremities that work correctly? Saw them off and start over

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

The company told BRAIN it expects fewer than 1% of the inspected cranks will require replacement.

Doubt (X)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Angryhead posted:

Dura-Ace and Ultegra models - poor boys stay winning :cheers:

still waiting for the coveted glued aluminum (algluminium™) technology to trickle down

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Some replacement crank lengths and chainring combinations will be unavailable. For example, some Ultegra cranksets with 53-39 chainrings will be replaced with 52-36 chainrings. Dura-Ace 180mm cranks will be replaced with 177.5mm cranks.

[…]

Retailers who are eligible to participate and opt-in are being compensated $7 in the U.S. and CA$100 for Canadian retailers per qualified inspection

lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're going to replace them with ones that can't break right?

Right??

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slavvy posted:

Doubt (X)

The reported incidence amounts to 0.6%. I would imagine a very large fraction of experienced failures were reported, given the nature of who buys road bikes with these higher tier cranks and their relationship to the dealer. So many of the early failures have already been accounted for.

What remains to be seen is where we are in the bathtub curve for their failure rate. It stands to reason that it'll be a likely failure mode as the cranks age and get more use.
Recalls are open-ended, right? Like you can get your crank checked at any point in the future. So maybe with more riding through the years (not that you're supposed to under the terms of the recall), the failures will shoot up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've got 3 crank sets that are going to get free chainrings out of this.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Apparently I'll get some cash for my lovely Stages duel sided power meter too. I left the left side crank on the bike but if they will give me $500 and a new set of cranks they can have it.

I may also have three cranksets too, I'll have to check, I definitely have the one lol.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I was going to ask what are they going to do about the crank based power meters like stages and 4iiii?

Are they giving you a new one of those too?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

kimbo305 posted:

I would imagine a very large fraction of experienced failures were reported, given the nature of who buys road bikes with these higher tier cranks and their relationship to the dealer.

I don't know about this. I broke several outside of warranty and didn't notify a shop or dealer. I just threw more money at Shimano and bought the latest model each time.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

numberoneposter posted:

Apparently I'll get some cash for my lovely Stages duel sided power meter too. I left the left side crank on the bike but if they will give me $500 and a new set of cranks they can have it.
Did I miss something that mentioned power meters? Cuz I have a left and right PM on one of my two cranks that are on the list.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crumps Brother posted:

Did I miss something that mentioned power meters? Cuz I have a left and right PM on one of my two cranks that are on the list.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls/2023/09/21/shimano-recalls-760-000-hollowtech-road-cranks-after-receiving-4-500-incident posted:

If the consumer has purchased an affected crank with a third-party power meter installed, such as a Stages, Pioneer or 4iiii power meter, Shimano will accept the crank back and return a new crank without a power meter and compensate the consumer. The compensation rates start at $300 for a single non-drive side power meter to $500 for a dual-sided meter.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

The reported incidence amounts to 0.6%. I would imagine a very large fraction of experienced failures were reported, given the nature of who buys road bikes with these higher tier cranks and their relationship to the dealer. So many of the early failures have already been accounted for.

Quite optimistic. My group ride circles consist of $10000 bike owners and a large number of them have dry freehubs, worn out chains/chainrings/cassettes, blackened chains from using too much wet lube, creaking BBs, contaminated brakes, etc.

If Shimano is estimating 1% failure rate, I bet they are allowing themselves to round down from 1.9%

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bouillon Rube posted:

Any opinions on belt driven bikes? I have a lead on a Priority Cooper for very cheap and it’s piqued my interest.

It’s nothing fancy (Nexus 3-speed, steel frame, vbrakes) but seems well put together and I like the idea of not loving with a chain or derailleurs. I know there was a huge fiasco when Ikea tried to sell one of these and the belts kept killing people or something, but Priority seems to have been around for sever years now and seem to have a good reputation.

the ikea bike used some knockoff belt system, priority uses Gates belts that are the gold standard of belt bikes

it’ll be a good essentially maintenance free bike, go for it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

the ikea bike used some knockoff belt system, priority uses Gates belts that are the gold standard of belt bikes
The ikea bike used a continental belt, which while not a gates was supposed to be decent given their product portfolio and history. Turns out, not so much.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

e.pilot posted:

it’ll be a good essentially maintenance free bike, go for it

kimbo305 posted:

I’d test ride if possible to see if you like the feel of IGH. It’s a genuine Gates setup unlike the Ikea, so should hold up its end of the bargain. The Nexus 3 is more likely to be disappointing to you.

Thanks both. I went ahead and ordered a Priority Ace (single speed) instead- living in Houston there isn’t really much need for gears on a road bike anyway.

The Ace also uses a slightly better variant of the Gates belt system (Centertrack vs Sidetrack); the Centertrack belts seem to be easier to source parts for and are reputed to feel a little smoother.

I didn’t really need another bike but it seemed like a great deal for $399.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bouillon Rube posted:

Bicycle Megathread 5: I didn’t really need another bike but it seemed like a great deal

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Probably a can of worms topic, but is there such a thing as a chain lube that legit doesn't build up on cassette teeth and turn into a gross mess?

After a few years of exclusively riding my belt driven bike I've had to go back to my beater for a while because of an ankle injury (flat pedals on this bike) and am once again having to confront the realities of drive chain maintenance. God drat gently caress chains.

Anyways I've been using Finish Line dry lube. Maybe I'm just not doing a good enough job wiping off the excess or something.

Bouillon Rube posted:

Any opinions on belt driven bikes? I have a lead on a Priority Cooper for very cheap and it’s piqued my interest.

Yes, yes, yes. Over 12k miles so far on my gates belt / Alfine 8-speed hub and not a single problem or a single second of time spent cleaning or maintaining anything. It just works, smoothly and quietly no matter what.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Chain lube...

I was talking to someone during one of the rest stops at the 50 mile ride I did through St. Louis, and we talked about chains for a minute. He commented on how nice my chain looked, and I told him I'd degreased, rinsed, and oiled my chain after the metric century I'd done a couple weeks prior on Katy because of all the dust. Someone came up out of nowhere and informed me that 3-in-1 oil is a water displacement chemical, but he corrected himself to say that it was a degreaser. "But what do I know; I wax my chain after every 1,000 miles."

Thanks, Mr. Helper.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
not really, but some are worse than others. finish line dry is not too bad as far as they go.

waxing is still the way to go but you really have to commit to it and understandably it's too much work for many riders

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Brother sent me pictures and a trip report on his Priority Apollo Gravel

He went from a department store Frankenbike to that and of course it’s a world away from that but I wonder how it compares to the Contend ARs or Topstones of the world. It’s got mechanical discs and isn’t set up for tubeless.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

CheddarGoblin posted:

Probably a can of worms topic, but is there such a thing as a chain lube that legit doesn't build up on cassette teeth and turn into a gross mess?

Anyways I've been using Finish Line dry lube. Maybe I'm just not doing a good enough job wiping off the excess or something.

I’ve been using Rock-N-Roll Gold and Extreme on my commuter and MTB for a year and haven’t had to de-crud my stuff. I ride in very dusty conditions but I can blow my chain clean after a ride and it comes right off.

Are you letting the Finish Line dry (post wipe) before you ride? RNR recommends overnight and it seems to work (at the cost of frequent reapplication.)

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

monsterzero posted:

Are you letting the Finish Line dry (post wipe) before you ride? RNR recommends overnight and it seems to work (at the cost of frequent reapplication.)

Ahhh poo poo I'm not, good point, I think this is one of those pieces of knowledge my brain let go of after switching to belt. My usual ride has a short section of fine gravel right at the beginning too so that can't be helping. Thanks for the reminder.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I use cheap drip wax and it's quiet and stays clean. Won't last long in the wet though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

I feel like you’re Making A Point, but bibs (edit: padded shorts or bibs) have an actual function that makes your life better. It’s your numb crotch and rear end tho, so have fun I guess.

I wore pants today

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i wore shorts over my bike shorts today
also wore a plastic flannel shirt. it’s called gravel casual, look it up

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

did a big ride today
for me at least :kiddo:

33mi, +5500ft, 4hr

these 42mm wtb resolutes are great but I definitely regret not getting 47-50mm tires again. next time
i'm turning these rotors fun colors on the descent and will probably try 180mm up front when this one wears out

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Nice! Mind sharing the route?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

CheddarGoblin posted:

After a few years of exclusively riding my belt driven bike I've had to go back to my beater for a while because of an ankle injury (flat pedals on this bike) and am once again having to confront the realities of drive chain maintenance. God drat gently caress chains.

Yes, yes, yes. Over 12k miles so far on my gates belt / Alfine 8-speed hub and not a single problem or a single second of time spent cleaning or maintaining anything. It just works, smoothly and quietly no matter what.

I started using Nix Frix Shun blue devil this year and it's more or less what you want. Very low maintenance, the bike rides very quiet, it doesn't wash off easy, doesn't build up and get gunky, takes very little on the chain to work and even less when re-applying.

I know it's not as efficient as waxing, but it's about as clean and I don't have to make chain maintenance a whole new ancillary hobby to bike riding.

I plan to run it all winter in the snow and salty slush to see how it holds up to serious abuse.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I wore pants today

my pearls are clutched

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bouillon Rube posted:

Thanks both. I went ahead and ordered a Priority Ace (single speed) instead- living in Houston there isn’t really much need for gears on a road bike anyway.

The Ace also uses a slightly better variant of the Gates belt system (Centertrack vs Sidetrack); the Centertrack belts seem to be easier to source parts for and are reputed to feel a little smoother.

I think you’ll like it. When tensioned properly, belts have just a tiny bit more give than chains, but still feel immediate and not mushy (to me) like IGHs.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Brother sent me pictures and a trip report on his Priority Apollo Gravel

He went from a department store Frankenbike to that and of course it’s a world away from that but I wonder how it compares to the Contend ARs or Topstones of the world. It’s got mechanical discs and isn’t set up for tubeless.

When I had a Nexus 8, I was surprised at how noticeable the weight in the rear wheel was. Probably casing and maneuvering the bike off the ground heightened my perception of on-bike performance, but it’s a minor detractor to IGH, compared to the above feel issue.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

CheddarGoblin posted:

The cleanest running drip wax by far is Ceramic Speed UFO Drip, but you have to completely degrease the chain before your first application. It basically never builds up and it sheds off the outer surfaces as a fine powder. If you want to get the cassette looking like new, just take it off the freehub and pour boiling water over it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwkW-o6Nl5b/

Yeah, sounds about right

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Almost got hit by a dodge charger during my ride today. I wasn’t even on the bike, I was walking it across a sketchy intersection with the walk light on. Did the driver stop and let me cross after I yelled? Of course not, he peeled out to the point I saw his rear tires lose traction and sped off.

Sometimes I feel bad about having an antagonistic relationship with cars while riding and other times I hope they wrap themselves around a pole and live the rest of their lives in pain and disability.

(Must have been my no show socks).

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Awkward Davies posted:

Almost got hit by a dodge charger during my ride today. I wasn’t even on the bike, I was walking it across a sketchy intersection with the walk light on. Did the driver stop and let me cross after I yelled? Of course not, he peeled out to the point I saw his rear tires lose traction and sped off.

Sometimes I feel bad about having an antagonistic relationship with cars while riding and other times I hope they wrap themselves around a pole and live the rest of their lives in pain and disability.

(Must have been my no show socks).

all cars are bad and antisocial by design tbh. you can minimize but not eliminate the damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Today, I did my last training ride before Ride the Rivers next weekend.

I've done some metric centuries and 50+ mile rides this year. Several of them. My longest ride was 69 miles. And I know what you're thinking--that sounds nice. But, every weekend this month (except for the 3rd) and last month has pretty much either had conflicting obligations, or I was just waylaid by jackassery. Lots of jackassery this month, in fact.

So today, just to build my confidence and/or let me find out just how much trouble I was in, I rode an 82-mile route I'd planned. There were some issues, but I made it... in 86.5 miles. That was one of the issues. I originally planned on my usual starting point, and my route crossed that point twice during the ride, so I would have two chances to replenish my food and water/sports drink. But, I didn't like that the route included "The Bowl" at the very end; that last climb isn't bad unless you have worn-out legs, and I was concerned. So, I moved the starting point to another spot I've used several times, a municipal park with a big ol' fighter jet on display.

First problem: I didn't ahead much about moving the start point. Turns out, I was only there twice--when I started the ride, and when I ended the ride. So, extra bananas, apples, uncrustables, drinks, chips, and even my sammich weren't available... because I'm an idiot. But, I knew I had two chances to hit convenience stores, so that wasn't a huge deal.

The "big" problem was that since I wasn't at my usual spot, any issue with Wahoo's navigation might make things interesting. And, halfway through the ride, I wanted to ride back the way I came 30 feet to look at something... and Wahoo thought, "Hey, he must want to go home! Erase the rest of the route, take him back to his car, and do not let him undo this ridiculously bad decision that should never be made by software!" So, I had to end navigation (my ride would continue to record), but I knew 99% of the route.

What I didn't know was that my SUV was on Nickel Plate Trail, not Nature Trail. I pass my turn and rode almost a mile and a half in the wrong direction. But, I figured it out, turned around, and finished the ride.

And yeah, I had 14 miles left in me. I did cramp up a little at 70 miles, but I downed a bunch of water, and that went away after a few minutes.