Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I like the solution of condensing a lot of weapons down to just one profile, like they did for Deathwatch with Long Vigil weapons or CSM with uh…abhorrent weapons? Something like that.

But you need to give each weapon type a specific use-case. It seems like right now a lot of weapons are supposed to feel sort of omni-useful but it just results in a lot of them feeling too similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eej posted:

No wargear points was expected for 10th and I don't know if they'll go back. I think GW would rather you pick all the cool guns and put them on your guys than the previous situation where no one used any wargear unless it was absolutely that much better than an extra body.

I wouldn't expect them to go back on it. Armies might get an extra upgrade option or two down the line to fill in thpse last 5-10 points but I imagine that wargear is going to be balanced as sidegrades from now on. Hopefully they'll improve at weapon balance one day.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 21, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Captain Magic posted:

I like the solution of condensing a lot of weapons down to just one profile, like they did for Deathwatch with Long Vigil weapons or CSM with uh…abhorrent weapons? Something like that.

But you need to give each weapon type a specific use-case. It seems like right now a lot of weapons are supposed to feel sort of omni-useful but it just results in a lot of them feeling too similar.

They did the same thing to Grey Knights, all the Nemesis Force weapons share a single profile which makes building both of our units very simple (and makes fighting really straightforward) but is also kinda boring. I wouldn't have minded the hammers getting a different profile like Thunder Hammers.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wargear as an option for units made a lot more sense the earlier you go in most forces history. Wargear was a more necessary component to tune your tactical squads to be anti-inf/anti-tank as needed, for an example. But now that Space Marines have about 100 units there are specific units for every conceivable need, reducing the need to tune units even further through a plethora of wargear choices. But what is true for Space Marines is not true for all forces, as some forces the tuning is more important, like on Tau crisis suits. And they have not really gotten rid of wargear choices for some armies either, they just disguised it. The Leman Russ situation, for example, having half a dozen data sheets to replicate the wargear choices is not an elegant solution and just bulks out the codex and data sheet packs with extra cards of limited utility.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The Leman Russ situation, for example, having half a dozen data sheets to replicate the wargear choices is not an elegant solution and just bulks out the codex and data sheet packs with extra cards of limited utility.

This is also kind of fixed in AoS, as instead of buying packs you get the cards with the models so you only have Warscrolls for models you own instead of having to buy a 4kg brick when you only want to run Terminators.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Mr Teatime posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/21/heresy-thursday-space-wolves-get-a-predatory-praetor-and-new-mark-vi-heads/

Lmao at them already replacing those horrendous rat heads, I would love to see the sales figures for those.

That Praetor is sweet, I might have to get one to paint up for 40k.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Speaking of weapon options, I finished the ones for my Dunestrider. Originally I only painted the big laser, but with the Combat Patrol setup being a AA guns I decided it was time to paint the res. I skipped the phosphor guns since magnetising them would've been a pain (and they both look dull and seem to have pretty boring rules as well)

It's a cool model. Shame it's so big and spindly, I really can't imagine painting another one.

GW is suffering pretty bad from having two clashing styles of unit design. I agree it's a shame that the basic dudes are designed to be pretty useless, especially in a situation where upgrades are included in the unit cost automatically. And it's made even worse if they try to stick too closely to old special weapon design ideas where some options are far better than others.

They should at least rebalance all heavy and special weapon options to be equal. They've already tried with some weapons, like the IG grenade launcher. A example of failed design is the Dunecrawler hvy phosphor cannon, which is almost identical to just the autocannon part of the Icarus array.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Some griping incoming to beware/ignore.
So whoever talked about selling Warhammer on various places is hell last thread I am definitely feeling it right now. Trying to find new glasses for myself by selling off old metal Warhammer models.Had an ad up on several FB groups for like two weeks at this point and I've so far managed to sell one model, and a pair of old vehicle banners that I didn't even realise I had in the first place. :v:
And then that's just the 40k stuff I have, doesn't make me too enthused to put up all the old fantasy metals I have as well.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
On wargear, my stance is if something is clearly the correct option then it should be the only option. Either consolidate stuff or give the weapon a niche.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's definitely a lot of baggage carried over from old kits. You can see the foreshadowing in a lot of 9th releases actually. Necron Warriors having long range guns or shorter range but higher AP guns. Exalted Eightbound having the option between more anti vehicle or a (crappy) chaff clearer on the sarge. Meanwhile Chaos Chosen are clearly from a previous era with their 2 sets of each combi weapon and like one pair of claws.

I think every Votann kit has alternate weapons with clearly defined roles too.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Some griping incoming to beware/ignore.
So whoever talked about selling Warhammer on various places is hell last thread I am definitely feeling it right now. Trying to find new glasses for myself by selling off old metal Warhammer models.Had an ad up on several FB groups for like two weeks at this point and I've so far managed to sell one model, and a pair of old vehicle banners that I didn't even realise I had in the first place. :v:
And then that's just the 40k stuff I have, doesn't make me too enthused to put up all the old fantasy metals I have as well.

FWIW I have sold a lot a lot a lot of Transformers and other collectibles and Facebook was where I had the worst customer behavior and least success. eBay takes more off the top, but the convenience and ease of transactions has been worth it to me.

I’m sorry you haven’t been successful yet! It’s a crummy feeling.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

FWIW I have sold a lot a lot a lot of Transformers and other collectibles and Facebook was where I had the worst customer behavior and least success. eBay takes more off the top, but the convenience and ease of transactions has been worth it to me.

I’m sorry you haven’t been successful yet! It’s a crummy feeling.

Thankfully they're moderated private groups so there is a filter. Ebay would mean international shipping and that's too much of a headache for me to really want to engage with, and using Swedish ebay means I'll be paying for every unsold auction I get. Only a tenner per auction, but that still mounts up over time.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

JBP posted:

I guess, but it also makes some loadouts redundant. I'm sure it's less pronounced with some factions but Tau really skews. They're not unbeatable because of it or anything (understand it's the opposite), but there's no incentive to run a crisis team with a particular set-up because oops all CIBs is clearly the best way to roll.

That's absolutely fixable though, half of the reason that CIBs are so ubiquitous is that a bunch of the other Crisis Suit weapons got nerfed into the ground. If you had something akin to the 9th Ed codex profiles where burst cannons had six shots, flamers were D6+2 hits, and fusion blasters had 18" range, they'd all be options with at least some application rather than simply being the wrong choice against every target.

What isn't so fixable is when you're comparing something with nothing: a Leman Russ with sponsons and a pintle stubber and a hunter killer is always going to outshoot a Leman Russ with none of the above. If they both cost the same points, one is going to be outright better. Unless GW start to balance through trade offs where, say, if you take all of the guns and upgrades you start to lose movement, or your save or toughness gets worse, but that doesn't feel very "simplified, not simple".

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hunter Killer missiles are the best solution for fixing the "I have 20 points left" gap. Since they are single shot and can be on many different types of chassis and whatnot it seems like they would be relatively easy to balance and and be the perfect sink for the leftover points.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

has anyone else been assembling models for 10+ years and still feels like they’re garbage at it. not sure how to make that sentence grammatically nice but you know what I mean. the loving rendmaster build starts out impossible, I’m looking at the daemon prince kit with serious sideye, the accursed cultists were fun to build until I got to the Torments. It’s so goddamn hard sometimes but when you get that click and poo poo fits the way it’s supposed to it feels so good.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

has anyone else been assembling models for 10+ years and still feels like they’re garbage at it. not sure how to make that sentence grammatically nice but you know what I mean. the loving rendmaster build starts out impossible, I’m looking at the daemon prince kit with serious sideye, the accursed cultists were fun to build until I got to the Torments. It’s so goddamn hard sometimes but when you get that click and poo poo fits the way it’s supposed to it feels so good.

as someone new to it it's the dang arms that get me right now

I swear you can hold it in what feels like exactly the same way as the model looks on the picture and it just won't click in fully sometimes

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's a bit like plugging in a USB cable, you have to rotate it back and forth until magically it works.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

It's a bit like plugging in a USB cable, you have to rotate it back and forth until magically it works.

That's been my goto so far, but then I get the glue on it and all bets are off. Just another good reason to stop procrastinating and just go out and get the tamiyo glue that I can brush on after it's seated I guess

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I did the Accurseds and Daemon Prince with no problem and my spatial awareness is mediocre at best!!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

What isn't so fixable is when you're comparing something with nothing: a Leman Russ with sponsons and a pintle stubber and a hunter killer is always going to outshoot a Leman Russ with none of the above.

Leman Russ crews without sponsons should pack the extra ammo and crew space with sandbags and Wounds.

That's what I'd do.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So super evil GW money grubbing move is to introduce a negative effect/rule called "Overworked Crews", similar to WWII games have for tanks that are understaffed, and if you take the sponsons you get a negative modifier to your to hit rolls. That way all the people that glued on their sponsons have to go out and buy new tanks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

tangy yet delightful posted:

You can try to plug in a USB and it doesn't work, flip it 180 and it doesn't work, flip it back 180 and it works. This is only explainable to me as USB operating in the fourth dimension, not limited by mere three dimensional physics.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
give all leman russ chassis' a piece of wargear that allows them to advance and shoot, which is replaced when you take sponsons.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I was a pro at it until they moved to CAD design and now I feel like an old man trying to assemble IKEA furniture going "attach flange 45 to flap 29B".

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

On a kit related note, it's cool that a box of Seraphim can build into either Zephyr or Seraphim, and include the pieces for both the little leader dude of a general unit or just another actual unit

I was actually thinking I should've gotten a box of Zephyr instead of a box of seraphim so I could try them both, but conveniently enough I can just do that anyway

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sisters Lifehack is to chop off the hands of the Combat Patrol Seraphim and glue on the Hand Flamers or Inferno Pistols from the Seraphim box, allowing you to make the Combat Patrol Seraphim actually useful

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Say what you will about the rules, the models are the best that they've ever been, what are you people talking about

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I probably love assembly too much. I’m the reason there are too many space marines. Love to kitbash me some Deathwatch Veterans from other kits. Black Templar Primaris Crusaders? That’s ten bodies waiting to be veterans in the Deathwatch my dudes.

Green stuff and especially sprue goop (when you just let some sprue parts dissolve in plastic cement) are the friends of questionable assembly in my experience.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

Sisters Lifehack is to chop off the hands of the Combat Patrol Seraphim and glue on the Hand Flamers or Inferno Pistols from the Seraphim box, allowing you to make the Combat Patrol Seraphim actually useful

Oh that's a great idea, because yeah their weapons as per the instructions don't seem great

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hunter Killer missiles are the best solution for fixing the "I have 20 points left" gap. Since they are single shot and can be on many different types of chassis and whatnot it seems like they would be relatively easy to balance and and be the perfect sink for the leftover points.

That would be a good solution, especially if they could figure out something pretty similar for the non imperial armies.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

smug jeebus posted:

Say what you will about the rules, the models are the best that they've ever been, what are you people talking about

The models look great, but with the old guardsman kit I can cut out all the legs, then the bodies, then the pairs of arms, and then the heads, put them in a pile of each thing and just assemble them all on auto pilot without thinking.

With the CAD design stuff it looks sexy as hell but it comes from very specific cuts and ways the models go together. Just slows down the building process that's all.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Improbable Lobster posted:

That would be a good solution, especially if they could figure out something pretty similar for the non imperial armies.

The enhancements should be where this sort of issue is solved, they just need to reduce the costs a bit so everyone has a 5, 10, 15, and 20 point option.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pros and cons.

Cons: you can't turn off your brain and speed-Frankenstein your guardsmen models.

Pros: you now have really loving cool guardsmen who aren't gross homunculi made up from organic battlefield detritus.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kitchner posted:

The models look great, but with the old guardsman kit I can cut out all the legs, then the bodies, then the pairs of arms, and then the heads, put them in a pile of each thing and just assemble them all on auto pilot without thinking.

With the CAD design stuff it looks sexy as hell but it comes from very specific cuts and ways the models go together. Just slows down the building process that's all.

I've found the models to be relatively intuitive when if you clip out the parts for a single model/sub assembly at a time. Not quite as straightforward but I still enjoy assembly.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

AndyElusive posted:

Pros and cons.

Cons: you can't turn off your brain and speed-Frankenstein your guardsmen models.

Pros: you now have really loving cool guardsmen who aren't gross homunculi made up from organic battlefield detritus.

I'm with Kitchner on this one, 3rd party sites allowed me to have cool parts and the IG models looked goofy but that was always the point! If they looked too human it would only take away from the 80s/90s satire nature of the setting

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

Generally most kits are numbered so the parts go together sequentially. The 1 leg will fit the 2 leg will fit the 3 torso etc. I find it generally quite easy to just clip everything out and sort them into little piles for subsequent cleaning and assembly. No need to worry sbout modularity means this is fairly straightforward.

Edit ^^^ you can still blend Anvil industry bits with modern Cadians seamlessly.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I'm with Kitchner on this one, 3rd party sites allowed me to have cool parts and the IG models looked goofy but that was always the point! If they looked too human it would only take away from the 80s/90s satire nature of the setting

*Hands the Human Centipede a lasrifle*

You're in the Guard, sons.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 22, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I had this weird urge a day ago or so to repaint all of my old Guard.
But then at the same time I wanted to swap out all of their heads to something better, because I always thought they were the weakest part.
Then realising I had to buy like 50+ heads from some third party maker in like batches of 5 to 10 (if I'm lucky) kind of killed the whole idea stone dead.

That and I have no idea what kind of new colours I'd want. v:v:v

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kaal posted:

Mostly I just feel like it's pretty lame for bolters and chainswords to be so iconic and yet the 10th edition rules really discourage you from using them.

Has there been a single solitary version of Warhammer 40k where massed dudes with bolters was good in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Has there been a single solitary version of Warhammer 40k where massed dudes with bolters was good in any way?

You know, this popped into my head as well, but I was out from 5th to 8th edition so I didn't want to say anything.