Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

PEO sued Microsoft and won over the E in MCSE, but I see tons of companies use the term anyway. I guess until you're Microsoft-sized, you're too small to be worth the trouble.

There's also gotta be carveouts for such as train engineers, or power engineers that operate and maintain boilers and are referred to as such by the pressure safety associations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

I believe here in Canada, "engineer" is a protected word you can't use in your job title unless you're actually a P.Eng. Which I'm sure has absolutely no teeth whatsoever but maybe it does, I dunno. I'm an engineering technologist but I usually call myself a "drafter/designer" because, I dunno, the former makes me feel like people think I'm trying to call myself an engineer to big myself up. Which I'd never do. I technically work for myself so if I wanted to do that I'd call myself President/CEO/Founder of (whatever I'm calling my one-man shitshow this week, legally my company name is just my own name).

Is there a similar restriction for architects? In the US at least there are now more IT architects than "real" architects.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Honestly just speaks laziness to me. Why aren't we IT people stealing MORE professional titles?

Network surgeon.
Certified computer accountant.
Java DDS.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

here

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Honestly just speaks laziness to me. Why aren't we IT people stealing MORE professional titles?

Network surgeon.
Java DDS.

They skipped straight to ninja

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, so it's plotting mass in stellar masses, grams, and GeV on Y, and radius in cm and megaparsecs on X, and then it looks like there's a time log-scale (time since the big bang?) inside the plot itself?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ikanreed posted:

Network surgeon.
Java DDS.

Replace computer janitors with computer pharmacists.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, so it's plotting mass in stellar masses, grams, and GeV on Y, and radius in cm and megaparsecs on X, and then it looks like there's a time log-scale (time since the big bang?) inside the plot itself?

I don't think that's supposed to be a time scale, just a bunch of lines of constant density showing the density of the universe at various times.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The speed of light being a constant means it can be used kind of as a minimum possible time scale when you're taking distance on astronomical scales

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ikanreed posted:

Network surgeon.
Java DDS.

I sometimes refer to myself as a Computerklempner – Computer Plumber :v:

Also, that graph seems legit, but I would still place it in a Jordan Peterson book. Put some "here be the dragon" in the graph and I wouldn't even question it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There might be dragons in the sub planckian unknown. You don't know

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the only title computer touchers need is kulak

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

ToxicFrog posted:

Top-left is “things with such high mass for their size they can’t exist or they’d collapse into a black hole”. Bottom left is related to particle wavelengths from quantum mechanics, high energy (i.e. high mass) things have short wavelengths, low-energy things have long ones, so that line should be the limiting one, i.e. the energy-wavelength line for light. Then those time lines basically show the highest and lowest-energy things that can possibly exist at any given time - a thing the size of the whole universe but not quite dense enough to collapse into a black hole, and a photon with a wavelength as long as the universe.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Regarde Aduck posted:

the only title computer touchers need is kulak

They don't fit that label in any way whatsoever. Unless maybe they are incidentally into fisting or something.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Talkie Toaster posted:

Top-left is “things with such high mass for their size they can’t exist or they’d collapse into a black hole”. Bottom left is related to particle wavelengths from quantum mechanics, high energy (i.e. high mass) things have short wavelengths, low-energy things have long ones, so that line should be the limiting one, i.e. the energy-wavelength line for light. Then those time lines basically show the highest and lowest-energy things that can possibly exist at any given time - a thing the size of the whole universe but not quite dense enough to collapse into a black hole, and a photon with a wavelength as long as the universe.

And it's pretty loving cool that "what's physically possible?" can be reduced to such a simple graph

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

They don't fit that label in any way whatsoever. Unless maybe they are incidentally into fisting or something.

"Incidentally into fisting" describes most coders in my experience

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/anniierau/status/1705656876627542412

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Helvetica” is basically Switzerland though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

And The Little Mermaid was named Arial.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
South Africa is so country they put it in twice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phosphine posted:

The one up and to the left is Namibia.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Where's Batman?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phosphine posted:

They had a lot of separation going at one point, so...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

jeebus bob posted:

Where's Batman?

In the Autism-exclusive group in the bottom left?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Good lord I need to take a break from consciousness...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Batman should be "Wayne"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sagebrush posted:

Batman should be "Wayne"

Are you talking about Bruce Wayne, the mild mannered millionaire playboy? He's not a detective!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sagebrush posted:

Batman should be "Wayne"

Actually, "Batman" is the last name of "The Batman," so it is consistent.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Capfalcon posted:

Actually, "Batman" is the last name of "The Batman," so it is consistent.

Yep Lots of people forget his full name is, Bruce "The Wayne" Batman.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Mad Bruce Wayne

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Everyone getting hung up on Batman when Autism/ADHD doesn’t even begin to explain what's up with Harry DuBois.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Head trauma.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dublish posted:

Everyone getting hung up on Batman when Autism/ADHD doesn’t even begin to explain what's up with Harry DuBois.

Idk who the gently caress that is tbqh

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

dublish posted:

feel like this covers it

https://twitter.com/bovibaee/status/1523079870187593730

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Grassy Knowles posted:

Idk who the gently caress that is tbqh

Main Character from the game Disco Elysium. He's extremely brain damaged from drinking, to the point he doesn't know his name, his job, or what he's doing there, and as you play you unlock different abilities based on your play style. Notably, in your addled state these abilities will talk to you and try to persuade you to their preferred methods

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Surely you mean Raphaél Ambrosius Costeau? The most disco a man ever was?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tree Goat posted:

feel like this covers it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not convinced the shut-in junkie detective had his poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

steinrokkan posted:

Not convinced the shut-in junkie detective had his poo poo together.

"Looks like" is pretty load-bearing, yeah.