Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Discendo Vox posted:

Friends, I ask you: what is worst word beginning with P to be Manager of?

People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Process

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is the correct answer.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Baddog posted:

I'm guessing he's prolly a lion not a sheep?

He's just letting everyone know that they can't trust him.

Because he's always lion

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Prostate

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Property.

You’re either a tyrant wielding a small amount of power in your company to kick people out of windowed offices or you’re expected to keep the tenant in check while the real estate company makes all the money.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BOOOOO

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Purple

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Probably a Manager

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

raminasi posted:

I understand that he thinks that the NLRB is lying; what I'm trying to get it at is the factual basis for his particular alternative interpretation. (Not even because I necessarily disagree with it!) What's changed about when and how employers can call elections? The actual ruling is 120 dense pages so I can't exactly cross-reference it with his posts and figure out what's going on.
Let's resurrect this topic.

I don't think that he's saying the NLRB is *lying*, necessarily, about this policy.

What he's saying is that the NLRB is *powerless* to enforce its policies.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No he was quite clear that he believes they're lying too.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
"Lying" or "believes their own bullshit" is basically indistinguishable. So no, I don't believe that they're "lying," as in deliberately telling untrue things, what I was saying is that it's grist for the media mill to convince you it's a good thing for labor. Which, at the time, as I do now, I was saying it is not.

Sneezeparty summarized it correctly. They have their own grievances with the NLRB though and trying to convince y'all the NLRB sucks poo poo isn't worth getting even a sixer over for me, so you can continue this one without me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sneeze Party posted:

why?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sneeze Party posted:

Oh god

Is this what circling back is actually like?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Trabant posted:

Oh god

Is this what circling back is actually like?

gonna need to give you the 20000 ft view here, chief

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So my new place uses Box instead of MS OneDrive / SharePoint for the purposes of sharing files & folders. We still use MS for everything office though. I’ve set it up so that I default to saving to a folder that syncs with Box so I don’t need to use the horrific web versions of Office or worry about moving files up and down from my local PC.

What I found out though is that you apparently can’t use autosave without using OneDrive. What the gently caress. I’m going to ask around the office to figure out what other people do, but I am real confused by the way this seems to work.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
At my employer, there are at least two NLRB notices on the wall. They amount to statements that basically say "We, the employer, hosed up. This is how we hosed up. We hereby promise that we won't gently caress up in this exact same way again in the future. You have our word."

This was the NLRB's remedy for hiring non-union contractors.

It needs to be noted that "[u]nder its current statute, the NLRB cannot assess penalties." This is *precisely* the reason that the NLRB saying that employers need to bargain with workers in good faith is totally unenforceable.

Anybody who says that the NLRB is worker-focused is either a propagandist or someone who has wholly digested Democrat propaganda on the matter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And furthermore,

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jordan7hm posted:

So my new place uses Box instead of MS OneDrive / SharePoint for the purposes of sharing files & folders. We still use MS for everything office though. I’ve set it up so that I default to saving to a folder that syncs with Box so I don’t need to use the horrific web versions of Office or worry about moving files up and down from my local PC.

What I found out though is that you apparently can’t use autosave without using OneDrive. What the gently caress. I’m going to ask around the office to figure out what other people do, but I am real confused by the way this seems to work.

box loving sucks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sneeze Party posted:

Anybody who says that the NLRB is worker-focused is either a propagandist or someone who has wholly digested Democrat propaganda on the matter.

this is definitely a good way to win support

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

box loving sucks

That is my impression so far but I’m trying to be positive.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

And furthermore,

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you know, the both of you can not be assholes and still disagree

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

When I spoke to a Box rep ages ago about using it for data storage and managing folder structures I think they sort of shuffled their feet a bit and said "well there's not really a model for this but.." and nope, that's it, please leave.

I know that there's a whole thing about young people not knowing what a directory structure is because they just use Finder or whatever but that's no reason to not even support it in your platform.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I know.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'm not even disagreeing with you guys. I'm perfectly willing to believe that the NLRB is not a useful organization to support labor. However, just saying "If you believe this you are a propagandist" is a really dumb way to try to get any support.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yeah and fella over there could argue their points without preemptively insulting everyone who disagrees with them, but it's not a perfect world, alas

e: And actually, like KYOON, I more or less agree with them (and you), they're still being an rear end in a top hat and deserve to be mocked for it though

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 21, 2023

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not even disagreeing with you guys. I'm perfectly willing to believe that the NLRB is not a useful organization to support labor. However, just saying "If you believe this you are a propagandist" is a really dumb way to try to get any support.
It sounds like I've got your support.

And it might be a rude way to say it, but I'm not wrong. The "left" says that they support workers, yet the "left" doesn't adequately address the lack of worker's rights in the US. Workers in the US have substandard rights compared to nearly every European nation. So when I say that, if you think that the NLRB is truly on the side of workers that you are a "propagandist," or that you have fully internalized the Democrat narrative, I absolutely, 1000% mean it, and I make no apologies for saying so.

If you are unhappy with the working conditions at your corporate job, then unionize. It'll probably be SEIU or AFL-CIO or some big monster like that, but it's better than nothing. Then become a shop steward. Get into the bargaining sessions. Get to know the employees of the union itself. Then come and talk to me about it again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

alright man

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
He's right though.

e: god drat it i just said I wasn't going to get into this again.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Have a feeling KYOON is not worried about being part of a union.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wow look at all those wasted words that shouldn't be read

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I miss Remote working now that I have 30-45 minute door to door commute each way. if I spend any time with the kiddo or sleep in in the morning, the commute wastes more of my time. I hate it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
luv 2 fall out of bed 30 minutes before clocking in.

Been getting 7-8 consistent hours of sleep for the first time in a long time since I started fully remote.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sneeze Party posted:

ehhh nah!

If you want to discuss unions and whatnot, maybe the general economics thread would be better.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027219

And I want to change my vote to process, that's way worse than project.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Oooh. Productivity aka payroll auditors.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sneeze Party posted:

Ok, but please don't.

Sneeze Party posted:

And it might be a rude way to say it, but I'm not wrong. The "left" says that they support workers, yet the "left" doesn't adequately address the lack of worker's rights in the US. Workers in the US have substandard rights compared to nearly every European nation. So when I say that, if you think that the NLRB is truly on the side of workers that you are a "propagandist," or that you have fully internalized the Democrat narrative, I absolutely, 1000% mean it, and I make no apologies for saying so.

We get it. The "left" barely exists in politics in the US, and is effectively a sop to pretend that there's an actual path towards progress that isn't paved with people's teeth shattered on pavement, or the literal dying out of anyone opposed to something. Please, please, continue this in CSPAM or something and not here.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

two posts above you chief

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dpkg chopra posted:

luv 2 fall out of bed 30 minutes before clocking in.

Been getting 7-8 consistent hours of sleep for the first time in a long time since I started fully remote.

Just lol if you get up before 9am.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Just lol if you get up before 9am.

Waking up late is for suckers. My first meeting is at 7am. I can safely be done with work between 2 and 3pm and then I do whatever.

Imagine still working at 5pm, Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

Waking up late is for suckers. My first meeting is at 7am. I can safely be done with work between 2 and 3pm and then I do whatever.

Imagine still working at 5pm, Christ.

Speaking from experience, this is how you get a 7AM-5PM workday. :v:

Person 1: "Oh, Davie is up at 7AM. Schedule one then."
Person 2: "Oh, my day doesn't end until 6PM, so a 5PM is nothing. Put something on Davie's calendar."
Person 3: "Sorry everyone, but 12-1 is the only time everyone had open, so lunch meeting it is! *invites Davie*"

Perfect World: *Davie rejects all three, rides off into sunset on his unicorn*

I'm currently in a 12-4:30PM meeting. No, not series of meetings... singular meeting.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 21, 2023