Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

lord fifth posted:

it was a database query optimization problem and the interviewers seemed mad that my answer wasnt "precompute all possible queries and cache them." weird loving interview. they did specify up front that there was no bound on the time for database construction but, like, what sane person would take that as direction to precompute every possible query ??

i would also give answers at a high level and then they would get mad that i didnt exactly explain what lines of code i would have to change to implement whatever scenario they threw at me. probably not a good company for me

just got moved to the final round at this place so i can only assume this was my first time being the victim of nerd hazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, they become more rear end in a top hat to you when you're a serious candidate not less

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the fact a company is "required" to do something or "not allowed" to do something else does not imply that they will follow those rules, particularly in private conversation. expecting them to - especially when the market favors those doing the hiring - is setting oneself up for disappointment.

i literally have told recruiters that they are required to give me information and had them repeatedly ignore the question. legal protections only go so far.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if they can't do that can you imagine how solid they are on respecting gdpr and other things

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
california has its own thingies which my old bosses plute buddy set up out of personal enmity towards mark zuckerberg called ccpa and ccpa 2 (cpra) and theres a ccpa 3, effectively (delete act), that got signed a bit back, so lotsa figgieland prime places are better than you'd think

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 19, 2023

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
interviewing job doesn't have a site in SF, but they do have several offices in major cities, including Seattle and NYC, so they should be able to pay appropriately. levels.fyi has senior roles in the bottom and top ends of the 200s, but i don't know how well that translates to my specific location or how accurate that really is

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

the fact a company is "required" to do something or "not allowed" to do something else does not imply that they will follow those rules, particularly in private conversation. expecting them to - especially when the market favors those doing the hiring - is setting oneself up for disappointment

still though, i am pretty sure they are legally required to hire me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bob dobbs is dead posted:

california has its own thingies which my old bosses plute buddy set up out of personal enmity towards mark zuckerberg called ccpa and ccpa 2 (cpra) and theres a ccpa 3, effectively (delete act), that got signed a bit back, so lotsa figgieland prime places are better than you'd think

Cpraphilia is an interesting twist

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

rotor posted:

recruiters are the canary in the coal mine

waves of not-layoffs* are going through the company as well. apparently it's a particularly bad time to be in the HCOL european countries

*not technically a layoff since you could theoretically apply for another role internally until your time is up

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i feel like interest rates returning to what has historically been considered "normal" is incompatible with a return to the frothy job market we've enjoyed for the last ~15 years courtesy of the free money hose but that's just my uninformed opinion

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sapozhnik posted:

i feel like interest rates returning to what has historically been considered "normal" is incompatible with a return to the frothy job market we've enjoyed for the last ~15 years courtesy of the free money hose but that's just my uninformed opinion

Bring the interest rates back down so I can switch houses and get jobs. TIA

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was being dramatic. i gotta get through quite a few dice rolls in the next few weeks but the odds on all of them are pretty decent. i should be fine

the point is this experience has really brought into contrast why you shouldn’t metaphorically kill yourself over a job. you genuinely don’t know when your last day is going to be

My spouse has a 70 year-old coworker who is the victim of decades of protestant work-ethic, boomer employee mindset propaganda. They retired and then came back to work after a year to basically start a career from the bottom all over again. They have no hobbies; working is all they have ever known so they couldn't deal with being retired. (Don't feel too bad for them though; they are an rear end in a top hat).

Meanwhile, I'm afraid that I will end up on my death bed thinking "drat, I worked too hard. I really should have done another play-through of Bloodborne. I should have played more Mario Kart with my family."

Edit:

Pulcinella posted:

Does anyone have a good list of interview questions to review? I have a "pre-interview" interview with the HR hiring manager soon, so most likely its going to be the "what is your greatest weakness?" type questions rather than loads of technical questions.

So turned out some wires were crossed and this was the technical interview (or at least A technical interview) and I had to wing it a bit. Fortunately the people conducting the interview were on the backend server team (I'm mobile) and were a bit junior to me, so the questions mostly consisted of softballs. Now I have another interview with my potential manager/department head. I may actually be able to get through this without having to do any take home coding test bullshit.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 21, 2023

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Achmed Jones posted:

the fact a company is "required" to do something or "not allowed" to do something else does not imply that they will follow those rules, particularly in private conversation. expecting them to - especially when the market favors those doing the hiring - is setting oneself up for disappointment.

i literally have told recruiters that they are required to give me information and had them repeatedly ignore the question. legal protections only go so far.

i suppose you're right that the laws of physics will let them say something illegal, but probably most corps are getting with the program. at least the ones that want to hire top talent are.

it's probably a bit different now since i was hired in the last wave of mid-covid hot market, but when they asked what my salary expectation was, and i deflected and asked them what the range for the position was, the recruiter did answer the question. he didn't seem very happy about it, in fact he was complaining to me that this legal obligation was making his job harder by taking away (some of) his institutional leverage, but he did give me the range.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
laws only exist to the extent that they are enforced.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Laws are just words on paper and getting in trouble is a fake idea

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

getting in trouble might be a fake idea but federal prison is a real place.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That's true, see rotors post

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
I didn't have to give a number, but the recruiter turned around and gave me their range and said "this covers both senior and staff." The upper end was lower than I expected/would leave a job for, but not so low as to be incompatible if they give a nice stock incentive + bonus, so maybe I'll get a proper negotiation in at the end with my current rate as leverage.

Looking forward to the rest of the interview process, the HR guy told me they'd almost certainly want to move forward and I have a lot of extremely relevant experience.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Raluek posted:

he didn't seem very happy about it, in fact he was complaining to me that this legal obligation was making his job harder by taking away (some of) his institutional leverage, but he did give me the range.

"the law is making it harder for me to gently caress you, don't you feel bad for me?" lmao

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Pulcinella posted:

Now I have another interview with my potential manager/department head. I may actually be able to get through this without having to do any take home coding test bullshit.

This interview also went well, and they seemed impressed with me, but I don't think I was very impressed with them. They complained about the cost of iOS development (e.g. iPhone test devices and Macs) and in discussing the project with them I am afraid that they think they can some how just copy and paste their backend code straight into the mobile app. Like if their backend went down they seem to think the app could still somehow, magically, contain the entire (continuously updating) inventory catalog, take orders, process payments, and contact the warehouse guys to load the order onto the delivery truck.

Has anyone ever interviewed at a company and thought the company was in way over their heads? I actually do think I could probably still help them, but for the potential headache I see coming I would have to ask for double what I was originally thinking. There is still at least one more interview and no formal offer yet, so I will at least take it for the practice and to get a salary number in future negotiations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If they're not looking at hiring you specifically to unfuck them, your attempts to help will not be welcome. If they are looking at hiring you specifically to unfuck them, your attempts to help may not be welcome. Tread carefully.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Pulcinella posted:

Has anyone ever interviewed at a company and thought the company was in way over their heads?

friend, i've exclusively worked for companies i thought were in way over their heads

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pulcinella posted:

Has anyone ever interviewed at a company and thought the company was in way over their heads? I actually do think I could probably still help them, but for the potential headache I see coming I would have to ask for double what I was originally thinking. There is still at least one more interview and no formal offer yet, so I will at least take it for the practice and to get a salary number in future negotiations.

This depends on your seniority and budget, but for me the result was redundancy after 6 months when they realised what they want is impossible and outsourced the whole thing. YMMV of course.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Private Speech posted:

This depends on your seniority and budget, but for me the result was redundancy after 6 months when they realised what they want is impossible and outsourced the whole thing. YMMV of course.

I am also concerned about this but for a different reason. They already have a website that works by a different team completely separate from the mobile team. I am afraid of being made redundant when the mobile team realizes what they want is impossible/a bunch of pointless, over engineered work and they can just stuff the website into a bunch of webviews or just use the REST APIs the website is already using and the app is functionally complete after 6 months and can be maintained by one person. Or (since apparently buying a test device requires difficult budget approvals) upper management gets cold feet about spending any money and cans the whole project.

Edit: Also just to confirm, resumes should still just be one page unless it's actual CV with pages of citations for published research, correct? Updating my resume for specific applications and there is one place where I have loads of relevant experience that I am trying to keep to one page.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 21, 2023

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

one page rule is less hard and fast now that most resumes are reviewed on the computer. definitely write your resume as if someone is only seeing the first page. I have mine set up that all my experience and certs are on page 1 and all the skills/education are page 2. works a charm.

e: I saw a 7 page resume the other day. don’t do that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not a Children posted:

one page rule is less hard and fast now that most resumes are reviewed on the computer. definitely write your resume as if someone is only seeing the first page. I have mine set up that all my experience and certs are on page 1 and all the skills/education are page 2. works a charm.

e: I saw a 7 page resume the other day. don’t do that

if I saw a 7 page resume my first thought would be that the person in question bounces between jobs every four to six months wtf

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kazinsal posted:

if I saw a 7 page resume my first thought would be that the person in question bounces between jobs every four to six months wtf

lol we had a screener and it turned out they were all for the same employer, he listed each project as a different entry in a way that made us think his clients were employers

it was the worst formatted resume I’ve seen in my life (and included a number of grammatical and spelling mistakes on top of flat out errors) but we gave him the benefit of the doubt because so many engineers are awful writers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

one time i got a resume that was formatted like it was a take out menu, trifolded and everything. Like the summary of skills was under "Appetizers" and then he had his job history under "Entrees" and a bunch of other cutesy poo poo like that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

one time i got a resume that was formatted like it was a take out menu, trifolded and everything. Like the summary of skills was under "Appetizers" and then he had his job history under "Entrees" and a bunch of other cutesy poo poo like that

did you order anything

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my resume is boring because i want my job to be boring

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

*urge to post my little resume intensifies*

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

did you order anything

naw we went somewhere else

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I saw a resume that said at the top that the layout was adjusted to provide maximum information density and it just looked like static because the font was minuscule and there was no whitespace anywhere

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

rotor posted:

naw we went somewhere else

"Who do you want to hire?"
"I dunno, I'm good with anyone."
*forty minutes later*
"Ugh let's just hire pizza!"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CPColin posted:

I saw a resume that said at the top that the layout was adjusted to provide maximum information density and it just looked like static because the font was minuscule and there was no whitespace anywhere

there used to be this crazy person in LA that would handwrite these crazy tracts and use absolutely no space between lines or margins on the page and it was an incredibly disturbing aesthetic and I wish i had a picture of it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
spacing was invented surprisingly close to the printing press

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

rotor posted:

there used to be this crazy person in LA that would handwrite these crazy tracts and use absolutely no space between lines or margins on the page and it was an incredibly disturbing aesthetic and I wish i had a picture of it

Yeah, I wish I'd taken a picture of that resume, but the company had gotten rid of the panel round with all of us by then, so I only saw it when my team lead briefly showed it to me

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

rotor posted:

we used to get these in the mail at the student newspaper every few months

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Achmed Jones posted:

*urge to post my little resume intensifies*

Do not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
had a really weird interview experience the other day. the company did their first round technical screens through a third party service so i got to listen to an underpaid overseas worker's baby cry through a terrible internet connection for an hour. is this common now? the entire interview was very uncomfortable