Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Work is sending me to Connecticut for the first time and I'll be minutes away from The Archive. Can't wait to pick up some VinSyn trash in person.

Also, while it's on backorder right now, I highly recommend everyone pick up Flicker Alley's Laurel and Hardy Year One release. It's all the 1927 films plus one 1928 (copyrighted 1927) and two earlier shorts, all scanned in 4K from the best surviving elements in the world. Most are substantially from original nitrate prints and look incredible. Lobster Films did the restorations and they had Fidelity in Motion handle the disc authoring/encoding. On my short list of best releases of the year, especially since it's taken two decades to get these on digital disc from proper remasters/restorations.

zer0spunk posted:

KL is releasing the conformist in nov, but it's BD only.

I think I'll wait, someone somewhere will do something with that 4k restoration..wild that they give burt reynolds movies UHDs and not this one.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Conformist-Blu-ray/dp/B0CJ5X3YPY

Also apparently the Dr. Caligari UHD went from "coming soon" to "yeah we don't know if we wanna do that"..which is fine by me since eureka is already on top of it.

e2: OK, so the italians did it already, eagle video has a 4k with english subs available. Slight wrinkle, it came with a small audio sync error, which they corrected in a v2 sku, so heads up there.
I might import this one if there's no arrow version..it's also SDR if anyone cares about HDR

It's a RaroVideo release that Kino is distributing, so it might not be their call to make. Caligari they might be thinking it would be a hard sell now that Eureka's edition has been out and already had a standard reissue. IMO, best thing they could do is get the Timothy Brock score for Caligari to make their UHD worthwhile. It was on the very first non-PD DVD from Image. Brock has done a lot of great scores for silents and his for Caligari is superb. He opted to score it with a string quartet, so it has sort of a Bernard Herrmann sound to it that fits well with the Expressionist look. Eureka's Blu only has one score and it's some bullshit that doesn't even try to sync with the action (literally the minimum requirement for a good silent score).

At least the Eureka UHD has an additional score, but I really wish labels would avoid these dumb avant-garde bullshit scores for silents and just hire people who know how to accompany these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Duel 4K is up for preorder. I’m pretty excited. Great movie, and a great parody of it in Bob’s Burgers.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If anyone needed more reason why to order directly from Eureka (as well as Indicator and Arrow UK), got my copy of Touch of Evil 4K on Monday - a full week before street date.

For those interested, here's a breakdown of all the different editions leading up to the Eureka. For those not wanting to read it all, I'd recommend buying both the Kino Lorber Blu-ray and the Eureka UHD set for the maximum supplements and presentation quality.

2000 Universal DVD
- Reconstruction cut in 1.85:1 (anamorphic widescreen, as will be the 2008)
- Reconstruction trailer
- Text screens for the Welles memo, production notes, and cast/crew bios (typical of DVDs of the time)

2008 Universal 50th anniversary DVD
Disc 1:
- Reconstruction cut in 1.85:1, newly remastered
- Commentary by Rick Schmidlin (reconstruction producer); as well as a previously unreleased 1999 track with Schmidlin, Charlton Heston, and Janet Leigh
- Bringing Evil to Life making-of documentary (produced in 1999)
- Evil Lost and Found reconstruction documentary (produced in 1999)
- Theatrical trailer
Disc 2:
- Theatrical cut in 1.85:1, first time ever on home video
- Commentary by F.X. Feeney
- Preview cut in 1.85:1
- Commentary by James Naremore and Jonathan Rosenbaum
[First edition was in a slipcase that also included a printed copy of the 58-page Welles memo, even made to look stapled and in an envelope]

2011 Eureka/Masters of Cinema Blu-ray
- Exact same contents and masters as 2008 Universal DVD, plus...
- Alternate "open matte" 1.33:1 versions of the theatrical and reconstruction cuts
- The three cuts plus two alternate presentations contained on two BD-50s, so not ideally compressed.
- 56-page booklet with essays and notes

2014 Universal Blu-ray
- Exact same contents as 2008 DVD except the three cuts are now seamlessly branched and from new 4K scans. Branching necessitates a somewhat filtered appearance and lower bitrate.
[First edition also included the slipcase and printed memo, now modified to be Blu-ray case sized]

2022 Kino Lorber UHD and Blu-ray
- New 4K restorations, in Dolby Vision HDR on the UHDs
- Each cut given its own disc
- Same supplements as the 2008 DVD and 2014 Blu-ray from Universal, except omitting the solo Rick Schmidlin commentary from the reconstruction.
- No booklet, but nice slipcovers with unique art between the Blu and UHD editions.
- UHD uses stacked discs instead of 3-disc case for some odd reason.

2023 Eureka/Masters of Cinema UHD
- Same 4K restorations in Dolby Vision as Kino Lorber
- Disc 1 contains the 1998 reconstruction, disc 2 includes the theatrical and preview cuts (possibly branched)
- Includes all four commentaries from previous Universal and Eureka editions.
- New features consist of...
- Interviews with Matthew Sweet (historian), Tim Robey (critic). and Kim Newman (critic)
- 100 page book featuring essays by Francois Truffaut, Andre Bazin, Terry Comito, and Orson Welles; writings by Welles (including the full memo), notes on the versions, and new essays by Richard Combs
- Plastic 2-disc UHD case and perfect bound book housed in thick slipcase (a la Arrow/Indicator) with new art by Tony Stella

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

I really loving hate this cover but I've never seen the movie and need to fix that so here we are.

It looks like an image that was AI upscaled.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I AM GRANDO posted:

It looks like an image that was AI upscaled.

It does not. It just looks bad.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It's just an odd image to choose. Like when I think of the imagery of the exorcist this isnt the first thing to pop into my head. I guess shoppers at Target arent drawn to spooky men cloaked in fog and a single beam of light anymore.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

"well we have one of the most iconic posters of all time we could use"

"gently caress that and gently caress you"

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Kino Lorber fall sale started today, as if I need to spend more money on movies between this, the Orbit sale from a few days ago, and the Vinegar Syndrome black friday pre-orders tomorrow.

:shepspends::shepspends::shepspends:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
TIL flipping the cover image on Arrow and Shout releases will reveal the original poster art

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nightmare Cinema posted:

TIL flipping the cover image on Arrow and Shout releases will reveal the original poster art

yep. if its a copy with a slip I usually flip the inner to the original. If its no slip then its dealers choice, but the original art usually wins for me.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

esperantinc posted:

Kino Lorber fall sale started today, as if I need to spend more money on movies between this, the Orbit sale from a few days ago, and the Vinegar Syndrome black friday pre-orders tomorrow.

https://kinolorber.com/collection/kino-lorber-fall-sale-2023?list_type=grid&sort_type=4k-low-high

I'm still waiting on face/off and lost in translation from them, but this is for sure the lowest prices on the stuff listed..except spaceballs, which is weirdly getting more expensive over time

e: they ship free over $50, otherwise it's 8 + 1 for every item

Egbert Souse posted:

touch of evil info

cool, eureka has a masters of cinema 25% on boxing day thing (or they did last year anyway)..will grab this and caligari then if it happens this year

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 21, 2023

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

There's a steelbook being advertised at Orbit for The Exorcist coming out Oct 9th with original art plus a slip with a closeup of Regan's face that looks much better. I think this was listed at Best Buy too but it's marked as sold out right now. I still bought the 4k that came out on Tuesday because it's The Exorcist. It's a total masterpiece, it never gets old, there's always something new that I notice with each watch. I'll probably grab that steelbook as well if I'm quick enough.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that steelbook on orbit is sold out apparently. do you think they'll have more copies on the 9th? i'm looking to grab it too. totally didn't realize it went on sale so long ago and am now regretting it!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dumb new collector question.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cl...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Will this play on my no frills Sony UHD player (I'm in the US)? From what I can see, this set is from Australia. I know blu-rays are region locked, but from what I read UHD's aren't region locked.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jose Oquendo posted:

Dumb new collector question.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cl...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Will this play on my no frills Sony UHD player (I'm in the US)? From what I can see, this set is from Australia. I know blu-rays are region locked, but from what I read UHD's aren't region locked.

Here's a good resource for what is region locked on uhd: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=334606

This one and 98% of them are region-free.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Vinegar Syndrome flash pre-order tonight at 12 EST. The 10-movie set is going to be revealed. Current theory on the blu-ray forums is that is may be 10 lost films. Who knows!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i dunno if I should even pre-order anything with student loans coming up :eng99: (didnt even graduate, they need one without the cap)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PinkoBastard posted:

Vinegar Syndrome flash pre-order tonight at 12 EST. The 10-movie set is going to be revealed. Current theory on the blu-ray forums is that is may be 10 lost films. Who knows!

Any link or theme beyond being lost?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Any link or theme beyond being lost?

Current theory is 42nd street based on the teaser image, which does seem pretty likely to me

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 21, 2023

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It's gonna be a bummer when it turns out to be a Children of the Corn box set.

...yes, I googled "list of movies with ten entries"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol don't put that evil out there

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

It's going to be the Witchcraft series. Which fits in with most of Vinegar Syndrome's releases, as the entire series is nearly unwatchable and the budget for all the movies combined is roughly $10,000. As someone with an undying love for garbage trash movies, I would 100% pass on a Witchcraft boxset. I don't hate myself that much.

Edit: I own multiple Children of the Corn boxsets.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched one of the Later Children of the Corn movies. It was a blatant Paranormal Activity ripoff, but without the found footage gimmick, and with a very tenuous connection to the CotC lore. It was pretty bad.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ive already got enough boxsets im still working on (Rudy Ray Moore, Black Emanuelle, Agnes Varda, Showa Godzilla & Rosellini/Bergman) that adding another would be straight up foolish.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

ultraviolence123 posted:

It's going to be the Witchcraft series. Which fits in with most of Vinegar Syndrome's releases, as the entire series is nearly unwatchable and the budget for all the movies combined is roughly $10,000. As someone with an undying love for garbage trash movies, I would 100% pass on a Witchcraft boxset. I don't hate myself that much.

Edit: I own multiple Children of the Corn boxsets.

I really don’t think it’s gonna be this, the hints don’t add up. And yes this series blows lol

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I wish Vinegar Syndrome would put out a boxset for The Howling series. I think they had planned on doing that but switched to the Amityville series instead. Now I love those poo poo Amityville movies more than any sane person should, but let's be real: The Amityville series < The Howling series. Plus there are no decent releases for parts 4-7. I would love a 4k of Howling 4. Make it happen, Vinegar Syndrome. No one cares about your upcoming Prophecy boxset, we want high quality discs for all Howling movies.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

dorium posted:

ive already got enough boxsets im still working on (Rudy Ray Moore, Black Emanuelle, Agnes Varda, Showa Godzilla & Rosellini/Bergman) that adding another would be straight up foolish.

Enjoy your next new boxset approximately 4 hours from now!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

It's gonna be a bummer when it turns out to be a Children of the Corn box set.

...yes, I googled "list of movies with ten entries"

:rubby:

(I binged the whole franchise in leadup to the new film earlier in the year. 11 films and a short, 2 of which I actually liked [one was the short], and the 2011 one is borderline unwatchable. Absolutely skipping on the slim chance it's this)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

Enjoy your next new boxset approximately 4 hours from now!

Yeah, I definitely don't think Justin would hype it up this much if it were just a one-film-series thing

https://twitter.com/jlalibs/status/1704972434510664064

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

esperantinc posted:

...and i'll be doing it again in october

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't think Justin would hype it up this much if it were just a one-film-series thing

https://twitter.com/jlalibs/status/1704972434510664064

… there’s like a zero percent chance of me not buying this, whatever it is

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

ultraviolence123 posted:

No one cares about your upcoming Prophecy boxset...

wait do what now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dragonshirt posted:

wait do what now

Prophecy 1, 2 and 3 are confirmed for a 4K set for this event/the month of November. It's the only thing that's outright known so far for the sale

The other stuff:

quote:

November 2023: 5 VS releases totaling $352.90 (MSRP) Includes: PROPHECY 1-3 (UHD set w/ exclusive restorations & extras) 10 Film Collection (BD), Never on disc slasher (BD), plus two shocking surprise titles!

And the week after

quote:

October 2023: 4 VS releases totaling $205.92 (MSRP) Includes: Never on disc slasher (BD), Notorious Troma classic (UHD), Grisly “golden age” slasher (UHD), Notorious German gorefest (UHD)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I wasn't going to get anything in this Kino Lorber sale but My Boyfriend's Back and The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane are both discounted and so are The Raven and X: The Man With The X-Ray Eyes, so...whoops!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I wasn't going to get anything in this Kino Lorber sale but My Boyfriend's Back and The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane are both discounted and so are The Raven and X: The Man With The X-Ray Eyes, so...whoops!

The little girl who lives down the lane is a really good movie

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, I love it. I don't know why I don't rate it as one of my all-timers, I guess it just misses the cut, but Jody Foster is incredible as is Martin Sheen and the ending is unbelievably great. Definitely worth having in the library and for $9.99 it's a no-brainer.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

what if it's Russ Meyer films.........

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Brexit the Frog posted:

:stare:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Brexit the Frog posted:

The RM estate has an iron grip on those movies stateside. I got my fingers crossed for an Arrow box (probably an import) since they handled the DVDs in the UK forever ago, but that might be me just daydreaming.

I'd break my fist hitting the buy button on a Russ Meyer box, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes is way sleazier and more hosed up than I would have imagined for the early 60s. And it gets kind of Lovecraft at the end.