Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Hege Riise is out from the norwegian national team and they're moving her into a more generic developmental role. They don't have any clear replacement yet which is kinda interesting. I hope they'll listen to the player group and hire someone from outside the federation. There's a few options, but most of them are in long term and probably more interesting positions already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/JosimarFotball/status/1698623492516659649?s=20

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Vilda has been sacked.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-06/spain-sacks-world-cup-winning-womens-coach-jorge-vilda/102818886

See ya later Vilda, ya huge sack of poo poo

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Vilda has been sacked.

Shouldn’t have gone Rubiales Über Alles

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Rubiales got the important nod.

https://twitter.com/DailyMailCeleb/status/1698682346285707666?s=20

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Liverpool signed Sophie Haug.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Liverpool signed Sophie Haug.

Hopefully she gets to start some matches for them.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/AdamCrafton_/status/1699672555483787771

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

United are in complete shambles. Both men and women's teams. They still have Toone but if they lose Earps they become a mid table team for the next few years.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Terminally Bored posted:

United are in complete shambles. Both men and women's teams. They still have Toone but if they lose Earps they become a mid table team for the next few years.

You love to see it

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
arsenal :pwn:

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
courage win the hiatus bowl!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Holy poo poo, it actually happened: Rubiales resigns

This along with the RFEF canning Vilda (while Rubiales was suspended :laugh:) means maybe Spain can actually take their victory lap now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have never seen such intentional dick-stepping-upon

quote:

"UEFA acknowledges the public discourse surrounding Mr. Rubiales and his recent actions but would also like to thank him for his many years of service to European football,"

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Last Friday 39 players wrote a new letter to the RFEF repeating their demands and stating they were still refusing to play and were on strike since Vilda and Rubiales being gone was just the tip of the spear, and they called for structural changes to the national team, which include:

- Restructuring of the women's soccer organizational chart.
- Restructuring of the cabinet of the presidency and general secretariat.
- Resignation of the president of the RFEF.
- Restructuring of the communication and marketing area.
- Restructuring of integrity management.
(Using a bad google translate version here, but you get the gist.)

The federation didn't respond until earlier today when the new head coach released her first team selection for the Nations League matches against Sweden and Switzerland this Friday and next week, and... It's a doozy.

Out of the 23 players she called up, 15 were on the world cup winning team who still refuse to play, 5 were part of the original team that refused to play before the world cup and 20 out of 23 are signatories to the demands they dropped on Friday. According to Spanish newspapers none of the players were informed they were part of the squad before the selection was made public and oh yeah, Jenni Hermoso was dropped from the squad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Their FA are very determined to step on those rakes

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

‼️Statement by the Spanish players‼️

“As professional elite players and considering everything that has transpired today, we will assess the potential legal consequences that the RFEF exposes us to by including us in a list for which we had requested not to be called up for reasons already publicly explained and in greater detail to the RFEF. We will make the best decision for our future and our health.”

“In this regard, we find it relevant to point out that the call-up has not been made in a timely manner, in accordance with Article 3.2 of Annex I of the FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players. Therefore, we believe that the RFEF is not in a position to demand our attendance.”

“Once again, we regret that our Federation places us in a situation that we never wished for.”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Boston is getting a NWSL franchise in 2025 and I am pretty excited.

https://twitter.com/itsmeglinehan/status/1704113131373383924?s=20

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Please don't have a lovely name, please don't have a lovely name :pray:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
introducing the boston manifest destinies

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Boston Beanie Babes

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just call 'em the Breakers, that's what the old club was named.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Sadly it looks like the USFL is about to get that trademark.

Plus the soccer group would have to get their website back from this Japanese squatter.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The Only Likable New England Sports Team FC (because they haven't had time to become evil)

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Montse is out.

quote:

The Government commits to the footballers to fire Montse Tomé after these two games

Montse Tomé debuts tomorrow and says goodbye on Tuesday. Her time as a Spanish soccer coach (so, simply, since yesterday, in an original concession from the RFEF, certainly not at the express request of the players, there should no longer be a distinction between men and women, only selection) will be historically fleeting. It is one of the demands that the 23 summoned against their will imposed on Víctor Francos, the dedicated Secretary of State for Sports, on the long night from Tuesday to Wednesday, who went from the energetic "if they do not attend the selection, we will enforce the law" on Monday to the soft "whatever you say, ladies" on Tuesday in an instant, the duration of a phone call from a minister.

In reality, the players wanted the disloyal successor of Jorge Vilda , their former faithful assistant, to leave the bench that same night, but Francos convinced them, "you will excuse me," that there was no time to find a replacement in time to direct. the momentous matches against Sweden and Switzerland in the Nations League. "Well, these two games and it's gone." No need to say more. The Federation already has the instruction on the table. And he will comply, because if he does not call elections for a new assembly tomorrow.
https://www.abc.es/deportes/futbol/gobierno-compromete-futbolistas-echar-montse-tome-tras-20230920202407-nt.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66882379

quote:

Sheffield United midfielder Maddy Cusack has died at the age of 27.

Cusack had been at the club since 2019 and became the first player to reach 100 appearances for the women's team last season.

She also worked as a marketing executive at the club, who said they were "devastated" in a statement.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

No cause of death listed, so.... :smith:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

In less terrible news:

Me watching the US after 30': "Great, same old toothless attack as before"
Me after watching them score twice in two minutes: "...nevermind"

Thank you Ertz, even though I still remember how you were culpable for both goals Japan scored against us in the '15 WWC final :patriot:

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I am pretty pleased to get a pro team back into Boston, I went to the Breakers' NWSL opener way back in 2013!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ilmucche posted:

The Only Likable New England Sports Team FC (because they haven't had time to become evil)

Witches is right there.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Witches is right there.

Gotta play in Salem, then, which is not a great location since it's not super easy to get to.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Today's the first day of Women's Nations League. There are three leagues in Europe, so no more 20-0 routs like England-Latvia last year.

So far, Sweden is 2-2 with Spain and England are playing Scotland in half an hour.

Poland is 2-1 against Greece, so everything's right in the world. :poland:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
spurs probably could have gotten a point from chelsea if they'd been a bit more composed but only losing by a goal given we've been making GBS threads it for the last year

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Megan Rapinoe's final home game just wrapped up.

Cool: league record 34,130 in attendance

Not cool: barely holding on to the last playoff spot, I'm pretty sure the Reign managed to somehow get a negative xG in a scoreless draw.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 7, 2023

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

And she played her last game on a pitch with faint 10 yard lines markings. I think there's a metaphor there somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay6dxWuou-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5_ceus01wo

Reign had a really bad season compared to what a squad of their quality should've achieved.

...buuuuut you could also be Pride who threw away a 2:0 lead with their GK punching the ball into her own net:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_VRs72FexI

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Reign had a really bad season compared to what a squad of their quality should've achieved.

You're assuming that said squad could be called something that would even vaguely be considered "healthy" or "available" throughout the year, especially in midfield (Lavelle :shepicide:)

And that OG was bruuuuuuuuuuuutal. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

the man city - chelsea game was pretty fun as a neutral