Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

In the mood for something different than my usual go to genres. Feeling like a good drama+comedy show could hit the spot, though I honestly have no idea where to even start.

Anything is fair game, even teenage drama if its handled well enough. Just no idol or magical girl shows.
definitely bang dream mygo
also a place further than the universe if you havent seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Furnaceface posted:

In the mood for something different than my usual go to genres. Feeling like a good drama+comedy show could hit the spot, though I honestly have no idea where to even start.

Anything is fair game, even teenage drama if its handled well enough. Just no idol or magical girl shows.

all more recent shows:
kaguya for drama/comedy/romance
mygo for pure teen girl drama + music
bocchi for mostly comedy + music with light drama
skip and loafer for a comedy/slice of life with light romance and drama
Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia for a more 'realistic' teen romance/drama

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Furnaceface posted:

Skip and Loafer

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

i think i remember you posting about watching it, but if not, Akiba Maid War

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Probably should have also mentioned that I have watched Bocchi and Welcome to the NHK. Also bounced off mygo pretty hard.

symbolic posted:

i think i remember you posting about watching it, but if not, Akiba Maid War

I watched the first 2 episodes and then forgot to go back and finish it. Might start with this.

Also I completely forgot Kaguya and Place Further than the Universe. Might give them a whirl if Im still in this mood after Maid Wars.

Thanks folks. :cheers:

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
I just claimed the '75 days of Crunchyroll Premium' deal from Game Pass Ultimate and would be open to recommendations on the platform.

Specifically I'm hoping for something light and comedy-ish that's good to de-stress with at the end of the day. A decent dub would be preferred.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fuoco posted:

I just claimed the '75 days of Crunchyroll Premium' deal from Game Pass Ultimate and would be open to recommendations on the platform.

Specifically I'm hoping for something light and comedy-ish that's good to de-stress with at the end of the day. A decent dub would be preferred.

No idea if they're on Crunchyroll, but Pastor Lawrence and Saint Cecilia and Shikimori fit this bill quite well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fuoco posted:

Kaguya, Love is War sounds like a decent pick. Maybe Hinamatsuri (about a psychic from the future getting adopted by the world's least violent Yakuza exec), or Konosuba if you want an isekai fantasy parody bit. And of course, there's Spy X Family for a cute bit about a superspy marrying an assassin and adopting a psychic girl to have a fake family for a job, with no-one except the little girl knowing everyone's secrets... and she's an idiot in the manner of 4 year olds everywhere.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Fuoco posted:

Kaguya-sama: Love is War is one of the best comedies to come out in recent years, and all three seasons are dubbed with solid performances. Very strong season 2 and season 3. Check it out.

Actually, y'know what would be perfect for this? Steins;Gate. It has one of the best dubs I've watched, but I just checked Crunchyroll and apparently they only have the sub? What the heck? (They acquired one of their competitors, Funimation, which had produced the dub for streaming a while back. They were supposed to bring over all of Funi's videos to their site but that was over a year ago, so again: what the heck?) Anyone else know anything more about its streaming situation?

If you want to see a bunch of high schoolers be complete dorks, D-Frag is pretty funny and its dub is surprisingly good, especially considering how little known it is. Another entry in this category could be the anime Gamers, which I've not watched personally but I continually hear good buzz about.

And finally, it's not dubbed but it's too hilarious to omit, so check out Bocchi the Rock, which was my standout choice for 2022.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fuoco posted:

Have you seen Nichijou? You should watch Nichijou.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
You should always watch Nichijou, you should never not watch Nichijou. And yeah, Skip and Loafer.

Some other light and comedy-ish shows to de-stress: Nozaki-kun, Yuru Camp, Heaven's Design Team, Polar Bear Cafe. Not sure how many of them have good dubs tho.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Mashle

or just watch Spy x Family

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SexyBlindfold posted:

You should always watch Nichijou, you should never not watch Nichijou. And yeah, Skip and Loafer.

Some other light and comedy-ish shows to de-stress: Nozaki-kun, Yuru Camp, Heaven's Design Team, Polar Bear Cafe. Not sure how many of them have good dubs tho.

Nichijou's dub is fantastic, everyone onboard understood the assignment and delivered :allears:. The only real nitpick is they took the Professor's name literally and localized her as "Hakase".

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
Thanks all. That's given me plenty to try out. :)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Can't believe no one listed Squid Girl.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is Sabikui Bisco any good?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yes, i liked it. good adventure series with a fairly unique setting. it's getting a 2nd season at some point.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Endorph posted:

gyozas not that hard to make at home if you wanna, you can usually find something to approximate the wrapping being sold as dumpling or wonton or w/e wrappers even at walmart. you might have to roll it out a bit or cut it, since gyoza wrapping's usually pretty thin, but its not that hard to work with.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7hIHCXA

i made this recipe i found online once and it was actually pretty good

Made it for my birthday. My girlfriend and I ate it all in about ten minutes. Seriously good. Now I know why Caiman loves it so much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eat The Rich posted:

Made it for my birthday. My girlfriend and I ate it all in about ten minutes. Seriously good. Now I know why Caiman loves it so much.

changing your username to 'Eat The Gyoza'

but also glad you liked it. gyoza rules

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

What are some good trashy dubbed anime a la food wars (preferably without the naked children). Ideally on hidive or Netflix?

Edit: and not super action heavy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Danger Diabolik posted:

What are some good trashy dubbed anime a la food wars (preferably without the naked children). Ideally on hidive or Netflix?

DFrag should fit into what you are looking for but it is on crunchyroll.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Danger Diabolik posted:

Grand Blue

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Gintama. Most of it is slapstick comedy until it hits dramatic arcs then, at least to me, gets profound.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can I get some recommendations for something in vaguely similar style/feel as Black Lagoon? It's one of my absolute favorites that I've watched to death already.
I tried watching Jormungand at some point already but I gave up after a couple of episodes because I found all the characters to be either annoying or boring.

Some of the other stuff I already watched and liked a lot is, Hellsing (both of them), GitS: SAC, Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Maybe a bit out there as a pick, but have you tried Akudama Drive? I feel like it fills in a lot of similar things that black lagoon and those other shows you mentioned do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Julias posted:

Maybe a bit out there as a pick, but have you tried Akudama Drive? I feel like it fills in a lot of similar things that black lagoon and those other shows you mentioned do.

The trailer didn't particularly hook me but I'll watch a couple of episodes to see if I like it.

Thanks.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Can I get some recommendations for something in vaguely similar style/feel as Black Lagoon? It's one of my absolute favorites that I've watched to death already.
I tried watching Jormungand at some point already but I gave up after a couple of episodes because I found all the characters to be either annoying or boring.

Some of the other stuff I already watched and liked a lot is, Hellsing (both of them), GitS: SAC, Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass.

— while it doesn’t do action very well, Gungrave is great at the whole criminal underworld character drama that makes Black Lagoon stand out to me (episode 1 kinda sucks though, definitely give it a 3 episode test)
— if you want something more lively, Baccano is great fun, although a fair bit more silly (in a good way) than the stuff you listed
— if you want stylish and over the top weirdos bouncing off each other you can‘t really go wrong with Jojo‘s

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

fezball posted:

— while it doesn’t do action very well, Gungrave is great at the whole criminal underworld character drama that makes Black Lagoon stand out to me (episode 1 kinda sucks though, definitely give it a 3 episode test)
— if you want something more lively, Baccano is great fun, although a fair bit more silly (in a good way) than the stuff you listed
— if you want stylish and over the top weirdos bouncing off each other you can‘t really go wrong with Jojo‘s

I watched some Jojos. Part 2 was my favorite, Part 3 was also really good, but after that it got a bit too stupid for my taste.

I'll give your other suggestions a shot.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It came up in the chat thread, and since Im sick and have nothing better to do: recommend me some late 90s/early 00s anime. Action preferred, comedy acceptable, horror/suspense I guess if its good, as little drama as possible.

e: The list of shows from that time period Ive seen can be counted on two hands so feel free to mention something even if it was super popular and you think I have seen it. I most likely have not.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Outlaw Star/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop, the late 90s space anime trilogy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Furnaceface posted:

It came up in the chat thread, and since Im sick and have nothing better to do: recommend me some late 90s/early 00s anime. Action preferred, comedy acceptable, horror/suspense I guess if its good, as little drama as possible.

e: The list of shows from that time period Ive seen can be counted on two hands so feel free to mention something even if it was super popular and you think I have seen it. I most likely have not.

If you like sports, Hajime no Ippo and Slam Dunk.

Last Exile was back then and kind of cool. Eureka 7 also.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

slayers is pretty comedic but there's some cool fantasy action stuff as it goes on

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Samurai Champloo

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So Outlaw Star, Eureka 7, Samurai Champloo, and Slayers go into the queue.

Honestly think I might start with Slayers since everyone seems to love it and I constantly forget to watch it (thanks Endorph!).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I keep hearing about Eureka 7 recently and I think I might finally go watch it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Furnaceface posted:

Initial D

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

eureka 7 has a great first 3 episodes and the episodes following that i simply can not sit through

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

eureka seven does a lot of neat stuff stylistically and structurally but i kind of dislike all the character writing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't forget the music, thr music is fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
theres, decent ideas in eureka seven