Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tonight I had a cocktail called Troop Leader. Was really nice and I got the ratios from the bartender

1.5 parts Borghetti Espresso Liqueur
.5 parts Fernet Menta
.25 parts Crème de Cacao

It’s like drinking a coffee and eating thin mints at the same time.

I just have Mr Black, any idea how that'd compare to Borghetti? I'd guess it's drier, but with branca menta and creme de cacao I'm rather leery about adding simple syrup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

3 bottles of Vodka (1 375 ml)
3 bottles of Mezcal (1 375 ml) and 1 handle of Tequila
2 handles of Bourbon, 2 bottles of Rye, 1 bottle of Single Malt Scotch, 1 decanter with about a 1/4 bottle of Single Malt (Glenfarclas 105 cask strength), 2 flavored Whiskey (chocolate and apple)
18 various bottles of Liqueurs from a 375s to a 1.5 L Rumchata
5 bottles of Gin
3 375 ml Amaros
1 Cognac and 1 Applejack
5 different bitters
1 bottle of port, 1 bottle of Marsala, 1 dry and 1 sweet vermouth, 13 bottles of table wine
And a bottle of rose water and orange blossom water

Looks pretty good but I'm gonna need a bigger shaker

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Pander posted:

I just have Mr Black, any idea how that'd compare to Borghetti? I'd guess it's drier, but with branca menta and creme de cacao I'm rather leery about adding simple syrup.

Maybe double up on crème de cacao, that’s usually sweet enough it should take the edge off of Mr Black which is definitely drier than Borghetti.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I started aging and experimenting with eggnog. I'm using Clyde Common's recipes, their base egg nog with spiced rum and brandy, as well as their tequila and sherrry egg nog, which I prefer.

My variants include:
  • spiced rum + brandy
  • apple brandy
  • sherry + tequilla
  • house-made vanilla vodka + amaretto
  • house-made vanilla vodka + st. george coffee liqueur
  • Werthers soaked Guyanese Rum + butterscotch schnapps, aka Butter Beer Egg Nog

Instead of aging the spirit + eggs with milk, I've also started aging the eggs + spirit + sugar, and adding fresh milk + heavy whipping cream when it's served - this allows the spirit + egg proteins to break down while still keeping the fresher milk character of fresh egg nog. I plan on using these bases to build my own cocktails over the holiday season. Tempted to come up with a pepperment liqueuer Egg Nog, or horchata as well.

My next experiment? Rum Arrange

I've also been eying some copper stills so I can distill my own rums, brandies, and whiskeys...

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 9, 2023

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Maybe double up on crème de cacao, that’s usually sweet enough it should take the edge off of Mr Black which is definitely drier than Borghetti.

Tried that. Wife's reaction: "well that's about the most delicious thing I've ever had."

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Tonight I had a cocktail called Troop Leader. Was really nice and I got the ratios from the bartender

1.5 parts Borghetti Espresso Liqueur
.5 parts Fernet Menta
.25 parts Crème de Cacao

It’s like drinking a coffee and eating thin mints at the same time.

Tonight I made this at home with some substitutions.

1.5 oz Kahlua
.25 oz Fernet Branca
.25 oz Tempus Fugit Crème de Menthe
.25 oz Tempus Fugit Crème de Cacao

Vigorously stirred with ice and strained into a chilled coupe.

Very close but not quite as good as the drink at the bar, which the bartender said they make in batches for the night.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody ever used jackfruit in a cocktail? Thinking make a syrup, use in Presidente riff I already have. Not sure boiling water will readily break it down though. Apparently the seeds are edible boiled and taste kinda like taro. I bought a lot a big hunk and no else in the family wants to eat it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a 4:1 gin martini and I did NOT like it.

2 oz Plymouth naval strength gin
.5 oz Noilly Prat dry vermouth
1 dash orange bitters

Stirred vigorously for about a minute to dilute, served in a chilled martini glass with a lemon peel expressed over it.

The botanicals were nice but it was too boozy for my tastes. If it was something I’d try again I would go with more vermouth or a lower proof gin, Plymouth is 57% and great for other applications but I didn’t like it this way.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For navy strength do 3-1. 4-1 is for standard 80 proof gin.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

4:1 Navy strength might as well just be straight sipping. That little vermouth will barely even touch the gin.

I like big proofy cocktails a lot, but that just seems like way too much.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Mixed this

with mezcal and little light agave syrup. Made a stunning cocktail.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Stinger:

2 oz Hennessy cognac
1 oz Tempus Fugit Crème de Menthe

Imminently crushable, but missing something like chocolate bitters or a lemon peel? Great drink for mint fans, I wonder how it compares to a Godfather.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The Stinger is a weirdly ephemeral cocktail, a sparrow whose tail I chase. It is, somehow, a drink that should be shaken, very hard and fast. I make my own creme de menthe. A touch of pear eau de vie really pushes it into another plane. Salt is something to consider if you feel like yours is lacking.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Stingers are great, and I agree they require a very hard shake. Pear eau de vie sounds like a really cool addition, and so does saline.

I’ve posted about them in here before, but I also really like Good Night, Irenes, which are Stingers but with overproof wheated bourbon (Maker’s cask strength is great) and Branca Menta.

Godfathers are great, too. But to me, even though both drinks are duos, Godfathers are really in a different category than Stingers, since they’re built over a big rock instead of shaken and served over pebble ice. Lazzaroni is a really good amaretto for them.

Personally though, I won’t be having any of these drinks for another 3 months, but they are great holiday drinks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I ran out of Tanq and decided to try out Ungava, which I’d avoided all these years because the all-Northern Canadian ingredients sounded a bit too Contemporary for my tastes and the weird pee-yellow colouring looked unappealing.

It’s really nice! Very lemon forward, though I don’t believe there is any lemon in it (must be the rosehip? I’ve had a rosehip beer before that was very citrusy).

The color is still weird, but dilutes down to a ginger ale hue once tonic and soda are added to it.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Got some hot honey with lavender and rosemary, made a spicy bee's knees with it last night that was incredible. Really brought out the floral notes in the honey.

I'm considering trying it with the last of my smoked rosemary gin tonight, seeing just how herbaceous I can get this.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Captain_Person posted:

Got some hot honey with lavender and rosemary, made a spicy bee's knees with it last night that was incredible. Really brought out the floral notes in the honey.

I'm considering trying it with the last of my smoked rosemary gin tonight, seeing just how herbaceous I can get this.

i really want to hate hot honey but it tastes good and this bees knees sounds great

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
There's a new method for clarified milk punch that utilizes milk powder and doesn't require the addition of acid to curdle, letting you do spirit forward cocktails like negronis or Manhattans. Going to try it soon and trip report.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Do you have a link to someone explaining this for dummies?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Horn posted:

Do you have a link to someone explaining this for dummies?

https://punchdrink.com/articles/milk-punch-powder-technique/

You can also use coconut milk powder to make it non dairy

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 20, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Interested to see more applications of milk powder in cocktails, for sure. It works nicely to enhance the crust on a seared steak, as well.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I’ve got family visiting so I went and picked up a small bottle of Carpano Antica and wow it’s so good!

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

I’ve got family visiting so I went and picked up a small bottle of Carpano Antica and wow it’s so good!

Try some with a nice glug of prosecco and a couple olives.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I've been out of making cocktails for a solid year or more. Is my gigantic can of Luxardo likely to have gone bad?

edit: Google tells me using them now would be a Bad Thing. :(

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Memnaelar posted:

I've been out of making cocktails for a solid year or more. Is my gigantic can of Luxardo likely to have gone bad?

edit: Google tells me using them now would be a Bad Thing. :(

Assuming you had them sealed and in a cupboard or something they're probably fine. If they don't smell weird then taste one and if it tastes fine then it should be perfectly fine to use in a cocktail. Concentrated sugar acts as a preservative and there's a lot of sugar in cherry syrup.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
No mold no problem!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

No mold no problem!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

No mold no problem!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > The Cocktail Thread: No mold no problem!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
With family in town until tomorrow I've been putting that bottle of Carpano Antica to good use, re-making cocktails with sweet vermouth that I've already posted in this thread and they were a hit.

I did make something new though, tonight I made a Martinez.

1.25 oz Indoggo Gin
1.25 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
.25 oz Maraschino Liqueur
2 dashes of Orange Bitters

Ander's spec calls for Old Tom Gin and .25 oz of Fee Brothers Orange bitters, which are supposed to be more sweet orange than bitter. I don't have any Old Tom gin, so I used Snoop Dog's strawberry Indoggo gin - which is pretty sweet, and I don't have Fee Bros Orange so I just used my regular orange bitters in 2 dashes instead of a quarter ounce. Great drink, much more enjoyable than a martini, and something approaching a Manhattan - which will probably be the next drink I make.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I kind an Martinez with London Dry myself. It's good with old Tom but doesn't need it to shine I've found.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

https://punchdrink.com/articles/milk-punch-powder-technique/

You can also use coconut milk powder to make it non dairy

I've never been interested in milk punch at all. Should I be? Just making drinks for myself most of the time. Really confused why you would "clarify" a martini which is usually known for being crystal clear. Sounds stupid.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Comb Your Beard posted:

I've never been interested in milk punch at all. Should I be? Just making drinks for myself most of the time. Really confused why you would "clarify" a martini which is usually known for being crystal clear. Sounds stupid.

In my experience it makes some strong cocktails more palatable for a crowd by mellowing them out quite a bit. For myself, I wouldn’t bother as I like the clarified version less than the original.

The other use is taking some drinks you couldn’t normally batch/prep in advance and making that possible, like a jungle bird.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Clarified cocktails are different from clarified milk punch. Clarified cocktails are for things that aren't clear normally, like a daiquiri or something. You can clarify elements of the recipe (i.e. the juices) to create a visually clear cocktail. You'll often acid adjust the Clarified juices as well since they lose some their zip during the clarifying process.

Clarified milk punch is something else entirely. It actually contains the whey from the milk, which dilutes the drink for a lower ABV, and lends a smooth, silky mouth feel. CMP often has acids and other elements, such as tea, as well. The "clarified" here refers to the clarification of the milk mixture.

So you wouldn't clarify a martini, but you could make a martini clarified milk punch. A clarified margarita and a margarita clarified milk punch are completely different drinks.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
My wife requested that I do something with her precious Malibu rum last night, which I'd just as soon pour down the drain but drink what you like I guess.

Decided to try the formula:

1oz Malibu Coconut "rum"
1oz lime juice
1oz Plantation 3 star
1oz Montenegro
.25oz simple syrup

I thought the Malibu would be sweet enough on its own but the mix actually benefited from extra syrup

It actually wound up pretty excellent, very crisp and refreshing. i have no clue what the Malibu really added because it didn't taste a whole lot like coconut but it certainly didn't spoil the drink.

I'm calling it a Last Wave.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's been a long week and I deserve a little treat

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm just making drinks for myself so it doesn't really matter, but I am curious: is there a way to make a cocktail with coffee liqueur that doesn't come out looking like brown poopwater? Do you need to lean into it and make it even darker? Are there clear coffee liqueurs?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm just making drinks for myself so it doesn't really matter, but I am curious: is there a way to make a cocktail with coffee liqueur that doesn't come out looking like brown poopwater? Do you need to lean into it and make it even darker? Are there clear coffee liqueurs?

I’ve milk washed coffee-infused rum and that just turned it from black to dark brown

So probably not

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
A very simple cocktail I learned from the recently published Cocktails: The New Classics and enjoyed:

1 1/4 oz pear cordial
1 1/2 oz bourbon
2 dashes salt

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Tonight I made another La Louisane but changed up the ratios.

1/2 oz Benedictine
No angostura
3 dashes Peychauds
A few dashes of Absente in the mixing glass and a rinse in the glass
Orange peel expressed (stick with lemon!)

Not bad! Almost done with this bottle of sweet vermouth so I’m gonna get something different and run through all the cocktails I’ve made with vermouth again.

Tonight I made a third La Louisane and it may be the best of the bunch.

1.5 oz James Oliver 100 proof rye
.75 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
.5 oz Benedictine
3 dashes Angostura Peychauds and a dash Absente
Rinsed glass with Absente 100 and expressed lemon peel

This is the one. The right ratios, the right ingredients. I can’t say it enough, Carpano Antica is so good. I’ve got a fresh bottle of Old Overholt 100 proof bottled in bond to use after this James Oliver is done and I’ll give it a try. Might do a Rye tasting flight and report back.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Some great work! I tried your final variation and I like it, but for me I think I miss the peychauds/Nola style bitters notes. I really do like the nice pour of benedictine though, it's a fun drink.