Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

jeebus bob posted:

Seconded

My 12 y.o. is beginning to show signs of this where my mere existence can be a source of awkwardness to him. I can still turn the situation on its head by exaggerating and lampshading but pretty soon I expect to become irredeemably cringe.

Your mistake is to feel shame at this instead of embracing it as a power.

While getting shoes for my kids, I saw Shrek Crocs that had a nose and ear stems and such and I threatened to wear those when I picked them up if they misbehaved. Their reaction was basically "haha, what a funny joke, you wouldn't do that. Would you? .... would you? :stonklol:" while I gave my best Vincent Price Thriller laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Our oldest is 9 and the school dropoff is very funny because they won't accept more than one hug but if you appear to forget so help me god you're getting loving tackled.

my 5 year old is like this pretty much and I find it super duper adorable :glomp:

she gets to use my old af ex work iPad that has 2 apps on it: notes and plex. she likes to write gibberish in notes and watch :filez: of iso's I get off usenet. no other apps and the browser and app store are locked down. she's 5 yes but they're very clever.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you love your child do not, i repeat do _not_, expose them to linux

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was watching a movie with my 15-yo daughter and it was great, chatting and discussing it, until the semi-explicit sex scene and then we just didn’t say anything for like 15 minutes of awkward silence. (Atomic Blonde, btw, is still recommended.)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I was watching a movie with my 15-yo daughter and it was great, chatting and discussing it, until the semi-explicit sex scene and then we just didn’t say anything for like 15 minutes of awkward silence. (Atomic Blonde, btw, is still recommended.)
a classic, and a classic :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when a kissing scene would come on tv/movie when watching with the kids, I’d ask “are they having sex?” lol they did NOT love it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the only things like that I remember are when I was idk 14 and Last action Hero was on TV watching it with my mum and it suddenly getting awkward towards the end due to Jamie Lee Curtis :swoon:

echinopsis posted:

when a kissing scene would come on tv/movie when watching with the kids, I’d ask “are they having sex?” lol they did NOT love it

lmao I remember you saying this and it's still good

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Volmarias posted:

Your mistake is to feel shame at this instead of embracing it as a power.

While getting shoes for my kids, I saw Shrek Crocs that had a nose and ear stems and such and I threatened to wear those when I picked them up if they misbehaved. Their reaction was basically "haha, what a funny joke, you wouldn't do that. Would you? .... would you? :stonklol:" while I gave my best Vincent Price Thriller laugh.

I don't feel shame at all. Think I became immune during the era of public diaper changes (theirs not mine)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jeebus bob posted:

era of public diaper changes (theirs not mine)

wait for it…

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the only things like that I remember are when I was idk 14 and Last action Hero was on TV watching it with my mum and it suddenly getting awkward towards the end due to Jamie Lee Curtis :swoon:

:actually: that’s true lies

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

True Lies is awkward in like the first act.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
when I was a teenager we, as a family during Christmas, went to go see the Mel Gibson What Women Want.

they are/were fundie evangelicals, hooo boy that was incredibly awkward.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i remember watching the devil's advocate with my parents in the theatre and remember the weird incest sex scene pretty well as a result

i was a teen already at least lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

:actually: that’s true lies

gently caress I knew there was something wrong!

good job I specified Jamie Lee Curtis or that would have been super weird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
last action hero holds up imo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Curriculum night at my eldest’s school today and she’s terrified that I’m going to say something embarrassing, which, sure, good situational awareness.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the other day my kid called me a RAT NUT with such a fury that it was undoubtedly the worst thing she could think of. i don't even know what is supposed to mean but it was powerful

she definitely doesn't collocate "nut" with balls yet so it's not the obvious thing

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Corla Plankun posted:

the other day my kid called me a RAT NUT with such a fury that it was undoubtedly the worst thing she could think of. i don't even know what is supposed to mean but it was powerful

she definitely doesn't collocate "nut" with balls yet so it's not the obvious thing

drat, why you gotta be such a rat nut all the time tho?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

MrQueasy posted:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MrQueasy posted:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I would frame that poo poo and solemnly hang it in my office lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

I would frame that poo poo and solemnly hang it in my office lmao

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lmaooo I deserve this

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Corla Plankun posted:

lmaooo I deserve this

And you have the paperwork to prove it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kid home sick with COVID and brutal period cramps, poor thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

lmaooo I deserve this

you gave the ole spicy rat nut

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Rat nut tryin' to be a dad easy

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
When I make wind our baby girl makes a fart sound with her mouth and points at me, top 10 dad achievement for sure.

she knows all the animal sounds, cars, and trains. And she knows the sounds dad makes:agesilaus:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zokie posted:

When I make wind our baby girl makes a fart sound with her mouth and points at me, top 10 dad achievement for sure.

she knows all the animal sounds, cars, and trains. And she knows the sounds dad makes:agesilaus:

:kimchi:

These are top 10 parenting moments, enjoy them.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
just wait till she makes the same dadnoise grunts you make when you get out of a chair

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
oh my god my 11yo absolutely melts down in the face of any activity that he’s bad at. he had to take their turn as goalie this soccer game, and went 2/5 against oncoming shots. I and his mom and his coach tried to explain that for the first time in front of a full sized goal, that was pretty good (especially when the team was down 5-2 at the half, the other team was stronger and faster and my kids team seems to be made up of the younger end of BU12)

ugh, the fallout of these spiraling episodes (not just the soccer ones) are getting worse, and typically make doing anything at all for the rest of the day extremely difficult. I need to find a way to slowly build up his tolerance for imperfection… (which admittedly I’m bad at, but I’m a “try again until I win or walk away quietly” perfectionist, not a meltdowner)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hopefully it’s just a phase huh

I mean adults are barely like that so they’ll grow past it surely.

god speed

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

got a book out of the library called "cooler than cool" and I've taught that cooler than cool is in fact *puts on sunglasses* ice cold

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

just need a pack of camels and you’ll be right

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

oh my god my 11yo absolutely melts down in the face of any activity that he’s bad at. he had to take their turn as goalie this soccer game, and went 2/5 against oncoming shots. I and his mom and his coach tried to explain that for the first time in front of a full sized goal, that was pretty good (especially when the team was down 5-2 at the half, the other team was stronger and faster and my kids team seems to be made up of the younger end of BU12)

ugh, the fallout of these spiraling episodes (not just the soccer ones) are getting worse, and typically make doing anything at all for the rest of the day extremely difficult. I need to find a way to slowly build up his tolerance for imperfection… (which admittedly I’m bad at, but I’m a “try again until I win or walk away quietly” perfectionist, not a meltdowner)

i can't wait until i have to deal with this i bet it's going to be fun.

anyway, do you think it could just be like a first-time trying effect? like he has no way to set a reasonable goal for himself, so he's disappointed it's not perfect (which of course we know is ridiculous). like maybe if he goalies again against a more evenly matched team and he blocks say 3/5 then he'd feel better.

of course that can backfire and he can have an even worse game the next time around lol.

i was also thinking, does he watch sports? idk, like keeping in mind that half the teams lose. and even the pros gently caress up, have bad games, and just aren't good.

like it's ok to not win. i mean i still have problems with that as an adult so :shrug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

got a book out of the library called "cooler than cool" and I've taught that cooler than cool is in fact *puts on sunglasses* ice cold

All right all right all right all right all right

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Eeyo posted:

i can't wait until i have to deal with this i bet it's going to be fun.

anyway, do you think it could just be like a first-time trying effect? like he has no way to set a reasonable goal for himself, so he's disappointed it's not perfect (which of course we know is ridiculous). like maybe if he goalies again against a more evenly matched team and he blocks say 3/5 then he'd feel better.

of course that can backfire and he can have an even worse game the next time around lol.

i was also thinking, does he watch sports? idk, like keeping in mind that half the teams lose. and even the pros gently caress up, have bad games, and just aren't good.

like it's ok to not win. i mean i still have problems with that as an adult so :shrug:

It may be more of an autism-like thing related to how his ADHD manifests (though there's been some cool thought lately from the Neurodiverse community that maybe ADHD is more on the spectrum than sharing symptoms with the spectrum).

He's really bad at dealing with the delta between his (often delusional) idea of how things should work and how things are. On top of that, he's also really bad at listening to others' experience and advice.

I was hoping this would get better as he got older, but it feels like it's getting worse. Perhaps this is related to the bipolar 2 that runs in his mom's family? (I really hope not, because that probably means it's going to get a LOT worse as he continues through puberty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ouch that sounds like a pain to deal with. sounds like you're doing good though, i'm sure getting him out there is building a lot of resiliency, even if the meltdowns are a pain in the rear end.

and hopefully he doesn't develop bipolar either! doesn't that usually pop up later in life though, like teenagers or something?