Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Midjack posted:

Different role with better upward mobility opportunities, same pay.

Yup. It was a great decision for me too because I got promoted at the new place within 8 months whereas I’d been strung along for 2-3 years at the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

What are the odds of a Friday 3pm EST mandatory online meeting for a few hundred people being bad news?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolfs posted:

What are the odds of a Friday 3pm EST mandatory online meeting for a few hundred people being bad news?

If it's bad news this probably wouldn't have been your first warning that it was happening.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Star Man posted:

IRS will be using money from its eighty sixty billion dollars of IRA money to keep it running and for payroll if a shutdown happens.

I imagine they'll tell us no overtime if it comes to that, and that extra cash is what keeps me going.

Just got the announcement this morning that they can't actually use that money in case of a shutdown.

The rumor mill says that people with short statute cases will keep working, no idea how short though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I apparently missed that announcement, but I thought that would be the case. It seemed odd to me that the IRA money could be used outside of the normal appropriations process.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Midjack posted:

If it's bad news this probably wouldn't have been your first warning that it was happening.

I vaguely suspect it’s something about FEMA funding and the possibility of a government shutdown.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

LyonsLions posted:

Just got the announcement this morning that they can't actually use that money in case of a shutdown.

lol so did I

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Feeling more likely now. Lots of talk of chaos

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This is the first time since 2013 that specifics have seeped down to my level so I'm guessing we get more than a just for the weekend shutdown this time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I have two weeks of annual leave in October. If a shutdown were to overlap with my leave, is the annual leave spent?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

No.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
What will happen is you'll be put on furlough without pay unless you're mission critical (like me). If you're mission critical, you can't take leave. So for the length of shutdown, you won't get paid until the budget is passed. Then they'll authorize backpay, so you just got free leave. Unless you're me...

There's weird rules about taking leave while on furlough.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/furlough-guidance/#url=Shutdown-Furlough

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m taking a trip next weekend so I have annual leave scheduled for Friday/Monday/Tuesday. Assuming the shutdown starts on Sunday, I guess I won’t actually use leave for Monday/Tuesday? That the middle of the pay period so it’s not like we’ll be able to submit timesheets anyway.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m taking a trip next weekend so I have annual leave scheduled for Friday/Monday/Tuesday. Assuming the shutdown starts on Sunday, I guess I won’t actually use leave for Monday/Tuesday? That the middle of the pay period so it’s not like we’ll be able to submit timesheets anyway.

Yes - but recommend communicating with your leadership for local policies in the event of a shutdown, if they haven’t pushed these out already. For us, we will probably have to sign a furlough letter physically, in person. We always ask about doing it electronically but always get told no. This makes things complicated when people aren’t local.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midjack posted:

You must work for a functional agency. Mine won't give us any shutdown guidance until Oct 1 when the phone tree fires up to tell us we'll be expected to show up to the office for an orderly shutdown the following day.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Endless Mike posted:

You must work for a functional agency. Mine won't give us any shutdown guidance until Oct 1 when the phone tree fires up to tell us we'll be expected to show up to the office for an orderly shutdown the following day.

An ounce of planning is worth 5 pounds of cure. BUT:

An ounce of planning will get wasted if there's no shutdown, and if there IS a shutdown, it's not like you were going to be busy during the time that you spend 5 pounds of cure.

So don't worry about it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Devor posted:

An ounce of planning is worth 5 pounds of cure. BUT:

An ounce of planning will get wasted if there's no shutdown, and if there IS a shutdown, it's not like you were going to be busy during the time that you spend 5 pounds of cure.

So don't worry about it!

Oh I don't really care tbh my office is a 10 minute bike ride away so it's barely an inconvenience to take care of it, just noting that my agency is consistently under-prepared for these things.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Endless Mike posted:

Oh I don't really care tbh my office is a 10 minute bike ride away so it's barely an inconvenience to take care of it, just noting that my agency is consistently under-prepared for these things.

Oh yeah no I'm just mocking the mindset that allows this stuff to happen

They don't care about wasting your time if you're off the clock anyway

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
My first shutdown, it took three or four days to figure out the paperwork to shut down. We were all sitting around not allowed to work on any projects while management sorted everything out.

About a fifth of our office was officially essential positions, so not allowed to take leave or get paid but had to work. About a fifth were on non-appropriated funds so work as normal. The rest were on appropriated funds and told to go home. It took most of the first day to pull up all of the position descriptions and sort out who was on what positions since they had no relation to current projects. Then they had to figure out what to do with the people on 50% appropriated, 50% non-appropriated positions. Not sure how they figured that out.

While that was going on, I was a COR (contracting office representative) tasked with overseeing contractors in the building. It was required for one of us to be in the building with the contractors who had been prepayed to be there but we were mostly non-appropriated funds. So we had to sort out who had previously been trained as a COR but were on compatible non-appropriated funds to transfer official responsibility over the contractors. Then we had to notify the contractors in writing who their new COR was.

As I was walking out the door on day two with all of that sorted out, my supervisor was working TDY orders to drive from Oklahoma to Texas to have the employees there, who had no on-site supervisor, physically sign furlough paperwork.

It was really incredibly stupid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We have like 6 people who have been deemed essential in HQ and they're allowed to work on like one program that is not an ongoing thing, so I imagine a lot of their time will be sitting around twiddling thumbs.

I think most or all of our field people are essential.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Same for us, but stuff always leaks out around the edges. My supervisor and higher are coming in but I get the funlough subject to 2-hour recall in case of emergency.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

To help people reading this subforum, are there any (nationwide) businesses providing special deals or benefits to furloughed feds if there's a shutdown? Or other things people should know?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Ghost Cactus posted:

Has anyone moved laterally/to the same step and grade before? If you have, why did you?

I moved from USCIS's Service Center division to its Field Offices division because I could get to a duty station near my family. Then 6 months later I transferred back to my old Service Center because I hated the Field Office.

Also, I am once again super glad that USCIS is fee-driven, and I feel for those of you that aren't. I hate to lose my OT, but that was going to happen at the fiscal year anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pmchem posted:

To help people reading this subforum, are there any (nationwide) businesses providing special deals or benefits to furloughed feds if there's a shutdown? Or other things people should know?

USAA and PenFed usually offer to loan you whatever your direct deposit is for the duration with the understanding they'll be taking it as soon as the return check comes through.

Needless to say, if you're not already a member, this won't help you now.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I've got my fingerprinting scheduled for next week. Happy pre employment onboarding stuff still going forward

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
DC bars also did drink specials in previous shutdowns.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Websites like GovExec, Federal News Network, and WTOP will probably have info about support for feds during a shutdown, although I imagine it might be DC-centric.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Shut this bitch down! I could use a vacation.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

pmchem posted:

My agency's (LOC) credit union is offering interest-free loans to members, which I've made aware to some of my newer-to-the-workforce colleagues who might be strapped for cash if this thing runs particularly long. Might be worth seeing if something like that is available in your agency's case.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My agency is 99.99% non essential and I'm loving it

Edit
lmao it turns out that I was only slightly exaggerating

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2023/09/see-who-would-get-furloughed-shutdown-year/390517/

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 23, 2023

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

I've got a work trip planned for the first week in October, including non-refundable plane tickets (thanks Concur!).

EPA still isn't really telling us if we would be off immediately in October. There's even an open question about if some IRA-related work would still go on.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Thesaurus posted:

Edit

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2023/09/see-who-would-get-furloughed-shutdown-year/390517/

Lol of course Treasury is “what, every single one of us is essential! Fine, fine, we can put the wellness yoga teacher on furlough.”

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Also for peeps getting furloughed or essential, can look at local/state assistance like food stamps, unemployment etc. During the last one we had peeps (in IL) get unemployment and food stamps while on furlough and having to work without pay.

They also only had to pay back the food stamp money which was interesting.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Thesaurus posted:

Edit

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Lol of course Treasury is “what, every single one of us is essential! Fine, fine, we can put the wellness yoga teacher on furlough.”

I think that's based on the earlier understanding that the IRS could use its recent funds to weather the shutdown. They have now changed that tune, I think: https://federalnewsnetwork.com/gove...ans-union-says/

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Rakeris posted:

Also for peeps getting furloughed or essential, can look at local/state assistance like food stamps, unemployment etc. During the last one we had peeps (in IL) get unemployment and food stamps while on furlough and having to work without pay.

They also only had to pay back the food stamp money which was interesting.

But doctor, I WORK for SNAP!

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
Wife is expecting next week, and I'll be out until March. I wouldn't complain about not having to burn some of my planned 6 weeks of sick time.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

You don't get the 3 months parental leave in whatever agency you're in?

I'm looking forward to using that at the end of next January myself.

Oh nm, I see that's quite a bit longer than 3 months....

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
NPS still has no updated contingency plan, probably because they're trying to figure out if they want to try using FLREA visitor fees to keep parks open again even though the GAO slapped the Trump administration for it last time. Either way I'm 100% on the non-exempted list, so :tootzzz:

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007

sexy tiger boobs posted:

You don't get the 3 months parental leave in whatever agency you're in?

I'm looking forward to using that at the end of next January myself.

Oh nm, I see that's quite a bit longer than 3 months....

Yep, between sick -> annual -> parental I'm stretching it out to about 5 months. Will be down to about 3 weeks each of sick and annual banked when I come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'm trying to picture the 13% of SSA they did furlough. Do-nothing non-supe 14s in Baltimore that said "yeah lay me off I need boat time"?