Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

It's like the goatman's before picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JohnFetterman/status/1703809478330573227

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Senator from humble background's choice of clothing

vs

Rep who harps on morals and the evils of drag shows gets handsy in public with a guy who owns a bar that hosts drag shows

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/senfettermanpa/status/1704123105180893497?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

God bless you, John Fetterman.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1704254834940014881?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

We absolutely need more sarcastic eye rolling at conservative histrionics. Actually, just straight up calling them stupid and their cause du jour nonsense would probably be even better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uhhhhhhhhhh what

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The whole "innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt, but only for men who politically align with me who are accused of rape (or now election fraud)" thing.

Cool, so you'll let someone babysit your kids as long as they've never been found guilty in a jury trial? No, it's just everyone else who has to tolerate them.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhh what

she sounds biased

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Too for Me but not for Thee

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nytdavidbrooks/status/1704668479259820413

This happens every time one of these mfs post some 'I can't believe how expensive this is" Biden inflation shopping round up bs. He spent $60 on whiskey.

(Also he took all the veggies off and squeezed out a bunch of ketchup on it, like a five year old)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, that awfully poured double scotch could easily be like $60 of it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Lmao he got community noted

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

There's also the small fact that most people aren't going to the airport for dinner

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SOME are arguing that Brooks was making a joke but that would require him to have a sense of humor so I'm unconviced

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates/status/1704720488554020961

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I did pay $26 dollars for a sad grab and go turkey sandwich and a coke at burbank airport on sunday tho. There were no prices on anything which probably should have been a clue, but i was starving

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It’s 2023 and we’ve just now figured out that airport food is expensive and airport drinks are even worse.

Yes, let’s judge the economy based on the price airport food. Seems sane and rational.

Edit: BRB goona write up a thesis on the failed state of western economic theory based on this receipt from feeding a family of four at Disney lands Blue Bayou restaurant.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 21, 2023

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Based on the similar table, glass, chair, sheet and cut of fries, this is the Smokehouse Restaurant in Newark Airport Terminal A.

My god, it's scary that people can do that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nebrilos posted:

My god, it's scary that people can do that.

They can do more with less.

https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1702289255035228288

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/fritschner/status/1704888706891387316?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Everyone is rightfully ragging on this bloke for his dishonest "journalism", (ignoringthat most of the bill was for drinks, that it was a tab etc.). Also people are justifiably saying "who goes to an airport to have a meal?" etc.

I would add ... Who the gently caress pays $66 for drinks at an airport? Fair enough having a beer or two whilst waiting for one's flight. Hell even make that an expensive scotch or whatever. Then add the insane airport mark up to that. But $66 dollars? Mate, if you need booze that much, go to the pub beforehand. If it's an international flight, the beer is free, (on many airlines). Or just wait out the 3 or 4 hours for your long haul domestic flight, and head to a pub once you have finished.

Also don't try and publish an article about how you overpaid, (or overcharged your expense account), for cred when it is so easily disproved.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Everyone is rightfully ragging on this bloke for his dishonest "journalism", (ignoringthat most of the bill was for drinks, that it was a tab etc.). Also people are justifiably saying "who goes to an airport to have a meal?" etc.

I would add ... Who the gently caress pays $66 for drinks at an airport? Fair enough having a beer or two whilst waiting for one's flight. Hell even make that an expensive scotch or whatever. Then add the insane airport mark up to that. But $66 dollars? Mate, if you need booze that much, go to the pub beforehand. If it's an international flight, the beer is free, (on many airlines). Or just wait out the 3 or 4 hours for your long haul domestic flight, and head to a pub once you have finished.

Also don't try and publish an article about how you overpaid, (or overcharged your expense account), for cred when it is so easily disproved.

Not to forgive him (I didn't Do A Journalism about it), but I grabbed a Sam Adams Boston Lager at a place in JFK during a layover expecting a normal level of price gouging and got a bill for $24. I can definitely see someone not being prepared for just how bad the $Airport price tag is on booze. That being said, don't write a loving article about it like it's a meaningful measure of American life. It's just the last holdout of the 80s/90s airport gouging since the anti price-gouge laws most states passed for airports occasionally exclude alcohol.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

David Brooks is a columnist for the New York Times, a published author, and the kind of guy who pulls five or six figures to give an hour lecture. Him grabbing a lovely $66 bourbon is akin to you deciding you'll have that special Starbucks order.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

He doesn't care about a $50 drink for the same reason I don't when I fly: our employers are picking up the tab.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, all these employers paying for alcohol without even the veneer of a client being present? i always had to submit receipts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who the gently caress pays $66 for drinks at an airport? Fair enough having a beer or two whilst waiting for one's flight. Hell even make that an expensive scotch or whatever. Then add the insane airport mark up to that. But $66 dollars? Mate, if you need booze that much, go to the pub beforehand.

I don't know how it is in the USA, but in Leningrad Oblast's Helsinki-Vantaa airport The Oak Barrel Irish Pub opens at 5:30 while bars outside the airport open at 9 at the earliest. e: I guess hotel restaurants may start serving alcohol with breakfast at 7. Didn't know that.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 22, 2023

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
What is the DEAL with airport FOOD

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

it looks like a beer at disney world costs, at most, $15. from what i’m reading this would be a craft beer.

meanwhile, a domestic at a tristate airport is like $24 per somebody above.

inflation isn’t great, sure, but this is far more an indictment of airports and their selfishness than anything.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I would add ... Who the gently caress pays $66 for drinks at an airport?
as in the tweet, someone with a company card.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
When your customers literally cannot leave the building legally, you can charge whatever you want. Airports take "captive audience" to a whole new level.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

poemdexter posted:

When your customers literally cannot leave the building legally, you can charge whatever you want. Airports take "captive audience" to a whole new level.

What airport doesn't let you leave

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dubar posted:

You can leave the secure area any time you want but getting back in is such an enormous pain in the rear end that no one wants to do that and would rather overpay for food

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Dubar posted:

Yes, technically you can leave. But realistically, once someone goes through security, they probably aren't gonna leave the airport for food. However, being technically correct is the best kind of correct, so I retract my previous statement.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dubar posted:

what's your theory as to why food in airports is more expensive than elsewhere

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dubar posted:

The Airport California

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Scratch Monkey posted:

The Airport California

Such a lovely place.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Portland International Airport has a movie theater