Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Who gives a gently caress about the royals, they're all fictional characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Who gives a gently caress about the royals, they're all nonces.

Fixed

Edit:

Awaiting the inevitable "Prince andrew given role of child safety ambassador" or some other hellish title

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Are Princess Di was to AIDS, the same thing Elon Musk was to rocket science, or the idea of using an electric motor to spin things around.

Oh stop being an obtuse oval office.

The press at the time were debating if us queers should just be rounded up and put in a camp, things were incredibly loving bleak. Despite doctors making it clear you couldn't catch it from touching us or breathing our air the public refused to believe it and violence against gay people went though the roof.

Her walking in and treating aids victims as actual people changed that perception. She did it in the UK, Canada, Brazil, the USA.

Its pathetic that the public needed a popular3 celebrity to walk about shaking hands to change minds but it did.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 22, 2023

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Listen up motherfuckers, I've got STRONG OPINIONS on ROYALS

Lady Di is AIDS, and furthermore

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And then Boris Johnson tried to do the same thing with "I was at a hospital where there were a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Still sad he didn't see more lasting damage from that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If notable people can't have a positive impact when talking about making a good difference then presumably the same is true of the reverse

When Farage spouts vile poo poo about foreigners it doesn't do anything. It has no impact and no public policy results from it. We don't need to worry about it and he isn't a oval office, just like princess Di wasn't good

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There are exactly 5 kings I respect. Burger, Crimson, Ghidorah, Brody and From Tekken.

What about King from OPM?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Heaven is a half pipe was good to be fair. Stick him on the list

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also Carole King, King Creole, king prawns, and

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I like King Sizebed and nobody will convince me I’m wrong :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also our King in Yellow from Northamptonshire.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So pretty much every king except the actual one that the British have seen fit to let reign over them like some kind of a ... well I can't think of a good analogy but you get the point.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Old King Billy was ok I guess.
Having a 10 foot willy must have been hard to lug around.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Guavanaut posted:

He was already on the list

DreddyMatt posted:

No good royals except for burger king and sofa king

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Microplastics posted:

If notable people can't have a positive impact when talking about making a good difference then presumably the same is true of the reverse

When Farage spouts vile poo poo about foreigners it doesn't do anything. It has no impact and no public policy results from it. We don't need to worry about it and he isn't a oval office, just like princess Di wasn't good

I think it's more that the individual people aren't any better or worse because of their position. Nigel is a dickhead but the world is full of dickheads, the structure that gives him power is worse. Similarly Diana is no better than anyone else who was doing the right thing at the time, and most of the rest of them weren't also royals, which is a bad thing.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

And then Boris Johnson tried to do the same thing with "I was at a hospital where there were a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody."

Boris Johnson was the people's princess that we, the people of the UK, truly deserved.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Were only for him to participate in a car crash.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

I was admiring the effort gone into balancing the two signs for maximum effect, then I noticed the tiny roman balcony holding the price promise and lost it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
All we had here was Reading Bedding.
I wonder if they still use the same half falling down mold ridden building.

Great local adverts though.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017
Death to the Aristos and all that. Meanwhile hopefully not death to me as I have been pumped full of vaccine. As promised I'm letting you know which one, which was Pfizer Comirnaty Original/Omicron BA.4-5 COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine, so not the very latest XBB 1.5 release. The XBB vaccines were approved on Sept 5th, so I have to hope they're being prioritised for the most vulnerable (a good thing) and not that the government has pushed ahead with a vaccination programme weeks before it's actually ready and using up old stock that other countries have already banned (not a good thing). Either way I'm still happy because it's still good protection, just not the best.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Were only for him to participate in a car crash.
Are Di - Crashes into the side of a tunnel, pursued by motorcycle paparazzi, her driver may have been under the influence.
Are Keeth - Downs four pints and barrels his landrover backwards over a cyclist.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Remembering the time Johnson called him Sir Beer Korma in the commons and personally wishing to take everyone involved to where we won't need eyes to see.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
God Emperor Chuck emerges from the void, fingers severed.
"Where we're going, we won't need Wall's to eat."

happyhippy posted:

Old King Billy was ok I guess.
Having a 10 foot willy must have been hard to lug around.
Brian Boru's farts weren't that healthy for youngsters either, if the rhymes are to be believed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Brian Boru's farts weren't that healthy for youngsters either, if the rhymes are to be believed.

Since I was a child I've always pictured Brian Boru as played by Brian Blessed, so this tracks for me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can picture Brutus the Trojan and the Anglish Sea People fighting the Irish Giants over some rocks for michael-gove-history-book reasons and then out of the sky swoops

Liz Truss, write the updated Our Island Story.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Funka posted:

Yeah I got into a rabbit hole about can you even trademark ancient greek I just want to buy some tyres lol

Invictus isn't Greek, you can tell what with being in the Roman alphabet and all :shobon:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of, I went down a hole of looking at Regency era legislation about roads and potholes the other day and

Parl. of HM Geo. IV., cap 95, RA 19th July 1823 posted:

The several Nails of the Tire or Tires of the Wheels of every Waggon, Wain, Cart, or other such Carriage used or drawn on any Turnpike Road, shall be so countersunk as not to project beyond One Quarter of an Inch above any Part of the Surface of such Tire or Tires

When did we start spelling 'tyre' like the Semitic port city instead of the wheel, and when did it stop being a capitalized proper noun?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

feedmegin posted:

Invictus isn't Greek, you can tell what with being in the Roman alphabet and all :shobon:

Lol. Have you ever seen a post with an historical, or whatever that is, inaccuracy and not corrected it? How long have you managed to hold out before hitting quote?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol. Have you ever seen a post with an historical, or whatever that is, inaccuracy and not corrected it? How long have you managed to hold out before hitting quote?

This is the Monster Munch & Historical Pedantry Thread.

If you want to leave massive glaring errors unfixed you have your own house-building thread for that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you want to leave massive glaring errors unfixed you have your own house-building thread for that

I stick lots of sellotape over them usually actually

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Sellotape is the worst type of tape. Absolute poo poo.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lemurtron posted:

As promised I'm letting you know which one, which was Pfizer Comirnaty Original/Omicron BA.4-5 COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine, so not the very latest XBB 1.5 release. The XBB vaccines were approved on Sept 5th, so I have to hope they're being prioritised for the most vulnerable (a good thing) and not that the government has pushed ahead with a vaccination programme weeks before it's actually ready and using up old stock that other countries have already banned (not a good thing). Either way I'm still happy because it's still good protection, just not the best.
Oh snap, I've just got the same vaccine. TBH I'm feeling less optimistic, worrying I might have hosed myself a bit by booking a slot as early as I could (I didn't know there was a "better" vaccine available). I particularly like that the information sheet says

quote:

The efficacy of Comirnaty Original/Omicron BA.4-5 may be lower in people who are immunocompromised
…which makes me think 1) this is pharmacist-speak for "it's loving useless" and 2) I maybe should have gotten a different one since being immunocompromised is the whole reason I'm there as an under–65?

I didn't know that other countries had banned it? WTF lol, this feels very dicey all around.

Anyway they also offered me an "under-65 flu jab" which I happily accepted, though I have no idea why it's specifically for under-65s.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I've got a covid jab on Sunday (by invitation) as I now count as vulnerable apparently (side effect of my recent diabetes diagnosis) despite not being 65 yet.
Not sure what brand it will be.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've got a covid jab on Sunday (by invitation) as I now count as vulnerable apparently (side effect of my recent diabetes diagnosis) despite not being 65 yet.
Not sure what brand it will be.

As long as it's not Russel, you should be okay.

Best of luck.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's spelled cellotape god drat it stop using yankspell.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

quote:

Sellotape is a British brand of transparent, cellulose-based, pressure-sensitive tape, and is the leading brand in the United Kingdom. Sellotape is generally used for joining, sealing, attaching and mending.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Anyway they also offered me an "under-65 flu jab" which I happily accepted, though I have no idea why it's specifically for under-65s.
Over 65s is made of eggs, under 65s is made of dogs.

They're both fine unless you have specific allergies, which is the reason for the split for statistical reasons.

Also *puts on Alex Jones tinfoil hat* the under 65 one will definitely turn you into a Bully XL and you'll eat a child :tinfoil:

Tesseraction posted:

It's spelled cellotape god drat it stop using yankspell.
cello tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
love it when njan99, lord of high quality posting, makes one of his edicts over what kind of posts people should make

TACD posted:

I like King Sizebed and nobody will convince me I’m wrong :colbert:

was that the guy in Space Mutiny