Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I really like playing sand king, but I've got sub 50% wr and I feel like my damage output isn't amazing. I usually just go wand bracer arcane blink aghs then situational items, but the enemy team is pretty anal about buying dust and sentries, which makes sense.
So now I've started playing as slardar or spirit breaker and it's great popping people open, and I feel a little tankier as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

flashman posted:

Both really, either way I'm not really sure how to get him to scale strong

you need to find the perfect spot

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?
It feels bad as a pos5 main needing to earn role queue points to play a role that not many hope to be assigned.

Last night I was given pos1 and pos3 and amazingly no one wanted to swap. My carry pool is shallow and when the remaining hero I sort of know is AM all I can say is "sorry, I asked to swap" when I get flamed.

And then during the p3 round my IP had a long service interruption which most likely lead to an abandon.

Some nights in Dota can just be rough. Here's hopping for no more p1's assignments while I bank queue points in the future!

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

So I'm new to Dota 2 and only have about 7 hours in it so far, but this game looks pretty cracked. My only prior MOBA experience is playing Smite with friends but I never enjoyed it. Dota 2 captures my interest much more.

I'm gonna take my Sven into my first non-bot game here soon, any uh beginner tips?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Schrute Nation posted:

It feels bad as a pos5 main needing to earn role queue points to play a role that not many hope to be assigned.

Last night I was given pos1 and pos3 and amazingly no one wanted to swap. My carry pool is shallow and when the remaining hero I sort of know is AM all I can say is "sorry, I asked to swap" when I get flamed.

And then during the p3 round my IP had a long service interruption which most likely lead to an abandon.

Some nights in Dota can just be rough. Here's hopping for no more p1's assignments while I bank queue points in the future!
If you queue both 4 and 5, you don't burn role queue points, and playing 4 will be less of an adjustment than 1.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Trent posted:

So I'm new to Dota 2 and only have about 7 hours in it so far, but this game looks pretty cracked. My only prior MOBA experience is playing Smite with friends but I never enjoyed it. Dota 2 captures my interest much more.

I'm gonna take my Sven into my first non-bot game here soon, any uh beginner tips?

Brown boots then 5 Rapiers :hmmyes:

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Some advice for a newbie and also some for sven specifically:

Know your gameplan! Dota's complicated, and figuring out what the best move for you at any given moment is really tough, so you should make it easier by thinking about what you want in advance. Everyone want to hit their timings, big items or skills that, when they get them, make a big difference. As a carry, your job is to figure out when you should be farming versus when you should actively be looking to fight. Sometimes it's as simple as go to lanes and hit creeps until your at the enemy base, sometimes you're trying to dodge the enemy until you have a big enough timing to bring the fight to them. Use the in game guides! They're a good resource for knowing what's popular and works with your hero.

For sven specifically, you're probably hitting creeps until you have a farming item like mask of madness and a couple levels of cleave, then you zip around the jungle killing a million creeps until you have a big damage (daedalus or harpoon), initiation (Blink dagger, shadowblade, or harpoon), or survival item (shadowblade, BKB). Figuring out which one you want is tough, and there's rarely a single right answer, so it's good to experiment and think about it.

Dying sucks, and is inevitable. You'll die, lose gold, feel bad, and watch as your teammates ping the enemies items and levels a million times.
But it's not a big deal. Stick to a gameplan. If you're playing sven, you're trying get big money, to get big items, to get big hits. Dying sets you back a little, but it also resets your hero. You get back full life, full mana, and a TP scroll, and some time to reset your cooldowns. Take a breath, figure out where you are on the gameplan, and figure out where's the best place on the map to go.
Sometimes it's good to die! Especially in lane, sometimes you might be teetering on a knifes edge HP wise, step out of place and die. Early game, your death timer is short, and it's a free heal, and you can pick up whatever items you had in base, while your enemy sits at half life and no mana, so you're suddenly coming back to a really easy lane. This comes into my next point.

Regen items are important! Buy More! lots of people one and done a set of tangoes or two, a healing salve if they're feeling saucy, then beeline whatever items. These people tend to sit around lane at low hp dying or being useless, so don't be like them. You don't need to die to get your resources back! Ship yourself a set of tangoes if your first 3 don't cut it, if the HP lets you last hit two more creeps then they've more then paid for themselves, and a clarity potion shipped to you while your jungling lets you cast spells and items more freely, speeding you up way more then the 50 gold cost. You don't need to be topped off at all times, but just be aware there's a blurry line between "enough HP" and "basically dead already" and it's better to be on the upper end, even if it costs you a little gold in the laning phase. If you kill your lane opponents and spent all your mana and HP doing it, then keep in mind that they're coming back with full HP and mana and you're stuck with whatever you got, so investing in staying on the upper hand is often a good call.

For sven advice specifically, the best thing you can do is usually going to be running between your ancient camps. Make sure you're stacking them if you have the chance, sven is incredible at clearing them and it's often easier with multiple stacks then without them. When fighting a stack of neutrals as sven, you want to hit the camp, then run back a bit so the creeps spend time walking to you instead of hitting you. Kiting camps is really important early and saves you a lot of HP.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yay new players!

Sven seems to be a good pick right now. Carry can be a good role to start with so you learn to last hit. If you're liking the game maybe do random draft or something to try new positions if you feel like it.

When you're low ranked it's a good time to explore other roles. It kinda always is but if you get good at one it's hard to get into another. And dabbling in roles that you expect to support you as Sven helps you to know what they should be doing and how to help them do their job. Learning to play 4 or 5 also helps with role queue so you can be sure you can play sven when you want to.

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

I spectated a couple of Sven games to see what other people do and they did a lot of farming on creeps so I tried to emulate that and I didn't seem to do nearly as much damage when I tried it. I probably did not have the right items. Items are always the most complicated part of MOBAs.
I tried leveling his 2 and buying strength items but I still hit like a wet noodle

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
If you have questions about which items to buy, this website is very useful:

https://dota2protracker.com/

It can show common items for heroes across different roles and you can see skill builds too. Obviously you need to understand a little bit about the game to see why they build skills or buy which items but you can ask here.

Edit: You can also sort by high MMR only and all MMR. Make sure to look primarily at high MMR lol.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:sigh: :(

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Trent posted:

I spectated a couple of Sven games to see what other people do and they did a lot of farming on creeps so I tried to emulate that and I didn't seem to do nearly as much damage when I tried it. I probably did not have the right items. Items are always the most complicated part of MOBAs.
I tried leveling his 2 and buying strength items but I still hit like a wet noodle

Yeah strength is a nice side benefit on Sven, not a big priority

A roughly ideal Sven game for the first six items right now is power treads, mask of madness, echo sabre, black king bar, blink dagger, silver edge

That might be too much information right now, but I’d suggest playing another bot game or two with that item build in mind. You will feel a huge difference in how fast you farm. You can select the in-game guide from ImmortalFaith which will let you find all the items more easily

(Item builds are very flexible in dota once you know the purpose of each one. It just really pays to have a plan when you’re starting out.)

Also welcome to dota! This game really is great, impossibly deep, and at times incredibly rewarding.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Trent posted:

If you open up the shop in game (default key is f4), to the left you should see a "browse guides" button. If you hit that, you can select a pre-built guide that gives you suggestions for your items, what order you should put points in your skills, and more. Some of them will even give you explanations regarding these skills and items underneath the tooptip when you hover over them. Tortedelini is generally the most popular guide maker at any given time because he does his best to keep them up to date with meta, as well as filling in the extra information on skills and items he suggests.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder what the game would be like today if the community hadn't poo poo a brick when Valve tried to introduce the idea of elemental damage.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Sab669 posted:

Brown boots then 5 Rapiers :hmmyes:

I just played a game with a PL who bought gloves then a rapier. We ended up winning because he died and we got it back on me, the magnus who already had a daedalus. Not the smartest choice but certainly made for a fun match. I am guessing he was high or something because he stayed off comms and made some other unique choices during the match.

Unranked gets some wild stuff sometimes.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
I know it's a meme and I'm definitely not saying I'm better than people at my rank, but me having 500 something games seeing people with nearly 10K games do the most dumb poo poo ever is so frustrating. Like how do you even play this game that much but you're still stuck in Herald?

I really should join the Pyrion Flax Discord thing, at least I can lose while having fun then.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 22, 2023

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I didn't know I could still get a dead reckoning chest after a match. Was that because I won with a Muerta on my team or was that just a coincidence?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

rkd_ posted:

I know it's a meme and I'm definitely not saying I'm better than people at my rank, but me shaving 500 something games seeing people with nearly 10K games do the most dumb poo poo ever is so frustrating. Like how do you even play this game that much but you're still stuck in Herald?

I really should join the Pyrion Flax Discord thing, at least I can lose while having fun then.

dota is a game where its extremely easy to do habitual bad poo poo and not notice it if you don't actively think about the game

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

ItohRespectArmy posted:

dota is a game where its extremely easy to do habitual bad poo poo and not notice it if you don't actively think about the game

I'd totally get it if it was accidentally overextending or misplays, but it's literally going somewhere solo when we know the enemy team is there, when we know enemy team has vision, TPing in after the team is already dead... But yeah, I guess that might also fall under 'habitual bad poo poo' actually

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

rkd_ posted:

I know it's a meme and I'm definitely not saying I'm better than people at my rank, but me shaving 500 something games seeing people with nearly 10K games do the most dumb poo poo ever is so frustrating. Like how do you even play this game that much but you're still stuck in Herald?

My sweet summer child.

We don’t have fun.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

rkd_ posted:

I'd totally get it if it was accidentally overextending or misplays, but it's literally going somewhere solo when we know the enemy team is there, when we know enemy team has vision, TPing in after the team is already dead... But yeah, I guess that might also fall under 'habitual bad poo poo' actually

the important thing to understand about dota is that like, a very serious number of dota players do not actually understand how to play dota

at all.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'd advise NOT playing Dota2 ranked for a while until the midas bug is fixed, apparently backpacking it reduces the cooldown

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota2-Gameplay/issues/12067

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I just played a game with a PL who bought gloves then a rapier. We ended up winning because he died and we got it back on me, the magnus who already had a daedalus. Not the smartest choice but certainly made for a fun match. I am guessing he was high or something because he stayed off comms and made some other unique choices during the match.

6700 hours of dota and i've played maybe 6682 of them stoned out my face

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Tactically Feeding a Rapier is my favorite strategy

Finally broke yesterday's 9-loss-streak by becoming what I hate the most: a sniper picker :(

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Mother in laws dog got his by a car. It's thankfully fine, but my behavior score and lpq status?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

flashman posted:

Mother in laws dog got his by a car. It's thankfully fine, but my behavior score and lpq status?

i'm not sure they track your attempted vehicular ganks

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

grinding out 3 lpq wins , always knew i disliked that dog

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

the thing about lpq games is that they are the exact same as regular games

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah they're pretty good but the queue can be long, I escaped prerrt easily this time. Single draft is bomb tho

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

I cant even tip at my behavior score so at least the game itself admits that the feature is only meant to be used as toxic

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've seen a few sincere tipping for good plays, recently

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

My last game we baited the enemy team into a full-on chaos dunk and our whole team tipped the ES afterwards. I only BM tip if I got BM tipped first, turnabout is fair play.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I tip good plays all the time! Get that behavior score up

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

It's insanely hard, harder than actual mmr.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I’m at 12000 behavior score and definitely only tip enemies after they rage buy back or black hole a minion wave

Admiral_Cola
Jan 11, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder what the game would be like today if the community hadn't poo poo a brick when Valve tried to introduce the idea of elemental damage.

Double edged sword scenario; on one hand it introduces a new way to play and think about spells, on the other hand it creates game endorsed synergies. Game endorsed will turn to player enforced as people will report others for the perceived crime of playing a crystal maiden with brewmaster, instead of using jakiro who can maximize brews damage with liquid fire.

I’d imagine it can become a balancing nightmare too, you’d have to think about how a skill from a hero can be impacted by another’s based on synergies with damage type. But that already exists today without special damage.

Would’ve been neat to see items based on dealing/mitigating elements. Like a versions of cloak that can toggle a favored element to reduce damage of that type.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
idk having to buy “magic resist item but only for one type of magic” sounds boring

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
The only way elemental magic damage would make sense is if they just mapped the current system onto something like poison = dispellable damage over time, fire = undispellable damage over time, lightning = pure, "arcane" = magic or something so there was some shorthand for the things that are affected by dispels and magic immunity resistance

Specific rock/paper/scissors magic types would be another annoying layer of confusion on top of the existing system

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I think the only way it could have stuck was if it were done with as much fanfare as the new map update and every hero got in on the elemental action, at the time it was just like the one Brewmaster ability working with various fire-based spells, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

If I wanted elemental weaknesses and resistances in a MOBA/FARTS I'd play Pokemon UNITE which doesn't have them anyway