Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I've got a shirt that I wore in youth football in 1994 or 5. It fit great then over shoulder pads and full gear, fits fine now for a yard work/around the house shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITAH for telling my husband that he’s “already a pathetic excuse of a father,”?

quote:

I, (F29) and my husband, (M30) were high school sweethearts. We met in sophomore year of high school and hit it off, which meant we began to hang out outside of school. I started developing feelings for him about a year after we met, and soon found out they were reciprocated.

Now, I know I may sound like the rear end in a top hat in the vague context of the title: However, I don’t think I am at all. I need some input.

Me and my husband began trying for a baby about 3 years ago: and being unsuccessful multiple times was incredibly deterring. However, about 5 months ago, I found out I was pregnant. To say I was happy is an understatement. My husband seemed ecstatic in due course, his wariness quickly overturned by the excitement of being a father.

My husband has always voiced how much he wanted a son. During my pregnancy, my husband posted paragraphs about how incredibly thrilled he was to become a father. Although, he seemed to always manage to rope in his hopes of being a boy father into his words. I didn’t necessarily have a problem with it at the time.

About 4 months into my pregnancy, my doctor scheduled a gender revealing ultrasound. As always on my appointments, my husband tagged along. As we drove, I took a mental note of his anxious habits. Biting his nails, tapping his hands on the steering wheel, breathing hard. It was understandable. As we arrived, we were whisked away by a doctor to the room.

As they began the ultrasound, my husbands jitters slowed. My doctor spoke aloud in elated tone: “It’s a girl! Congratulations!” Dead silence. Without even finishing the appointment, my husband stood up quietly and stormed out. The air was heavy with tension as I cleaned up and headed towards the lobby. I found my husband sitting on his phone in the waiting room, brows furrowed.

He saw me and forced a smile. As we headed back to the car, I noticed how he avoided my questions. I tried to brush it off, thinking it was just a twinge of quick passing disappointment: however, I soon realized it was much deeper than that.

As we parked in our driveway, I broke the silence with a considerate “Are you alright?” “Do I look loving okay?” Hubby says, “You know how much I wanted to raise a man like my father raised me.” He began raising his voice, each word growing to be painful and cruel.

I was already in pain, exhausted, and frustrated as he spewed several underhanded accusations and unwarranted insults out at me. I snapped. “You’re already a pathetic excuse of a father and our daughter isn’t even born yet,”

Silence.

He left quickly afterwords and informed me that he will be staying with a friend for a couple of days. His family has been blowing up my phone with messages I refuse to read, and my own family is telling me that I went too far and should apologize.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for telling my husband that he’s “already a pathetic excuse of a father,”?

Dudes DO know their sperm "decides" the sex of the baby, right? Like, it's not like the egg is female.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Donkringel posted:

My class had the same. I wanted to be called Rubio, but the kid before me picked it. So I chose Sergio as a backup.

Should have asked to be El Rubio instead.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITAH for telling my husband that he’s “already a pathetic excuse of a father,”?

Yeah yeah this guy's a loser and all that, but this one reads like a hilariously poorly written creative writing exercise.

Like what does this have to do with anything?

quote:

We met in sophomore year of high school and hit it off, which meant we began to hang out outside of school. I started developing feelings for him about a year after we met, and soon found out they were reciprocated.

I also like this especially pointless sentence

quote:

As we arrived, we were whisked away by a doctor to the room.

These awkward little flourishes are also a nice touch

quote:

He began raising his voice, each word growing to be painful and cruel.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Dudes DO know their sperm "decides" the sex of the baby, right? Like, it's not like the egg is female.

Sounds like they already had one male baby around

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

From a good few pages back but can someone link this post for my entertainment please?

I love any chance to post this so sure.

AITA for breaking up with my friend group for horrible relationship advice that broke up my marriage?
rear end in a top hat

My main group of friends is 4 other women I met at university 10 years ago.

We all met basically on the first week of the first year and have stayed tight with each other done then alive 10 years ago. I used to think they were all bad rear end and looked to them for advice for a lot of stuff including relationships. I started seeing my now ex-husband 6 years ago, we got married 2 years ago got separated 1 year ago and now divorce is final.

A lot of the problems we had was me acting on, what in hind sight seems like, bad advice given to me by my friends. Examples:

Just after our engagement they convinced me that I shouldn't change my last name or hyphenate because it was old fashioned and oppressive, even though Mark told me early on that it was an important thing to him

They planted doubts in my mind about how what originally I thought were innocent comments by his mom were jabs she was taking at me and pushed me to force Mark to stand up for me to his mom

Convinced me that I need to ration sex because some stupid reason that I bought into then that doesn't make sense now.

Convinced me that when we have kids they should take my last name because I would be giving birth and again we shouldn't support old fashioned traditions.

With the last fight Mark had enough and said he wanted out and initiated the break up. I was devastated, I foolishly thought he'd never leave me because again my friends convinced me that I was way out of his league and that he would never leave me.

I decided I can't be friends with these women any more because not only did they give me really bad advice but when each of them for married none of them followed any of the advice that had been SO important when they told me. They each took they husband last names. They all bend over backwards to get along with their in-laws. No rationing of sex. No more kids need to get mother's last name talk.

This just pissed me off and I confronted them,I told them they were just using my marriage as a playground to test their stupid relationship theories and that they only started really thinking things through when it came to their own relationships. I told them I couldn't be friends with them any more.

They are saying I'm being unreasonable and that they told me what they thought was best at the time and that no one held a gun to my head. They said now that they've been in the position things are different and that they're saying it's a lot more important to go along to get along.

That's true, I'm probably going to be regretting for the rest of my life not using enough of my own judgement in my own life decisions. But the thought that I had a good guy that I pushed away because of their advice is just too much for me. WIBTA for cutting them loose?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/co5chc/aita_for_breaking_up_with_my_friend_group_for/

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Here is a spicy one.

WIBTA if I outed the kid who has head lice and the parent who lied about it?

quote:

Wife and I (40s) have 3 kids, Alice (12F), Bobby (10M), and Claire (8F), just started grades 7, 5 and 3, all same school.

Last month, Bobby's grade 5 teacher started a parent WhatsApp group. A week before school started, teacher posted into the WhatsApp group... apparently, one of the kids in the class had had head lice. No big deal, it's been treated and cured. Kid caught it at summer camp.

Someone in the WhatsApp said "Sometimes the treatment for head lice includes cutting one's hair really short. What if the whole class cuts their hair really short? Then no one will know or care who had the head lice".

Parents chimed in: What a great idea, we should totally do that. One parent to agree with that opinion was a dad whose son David is in Bobby's class, and also whose daughter Emily is in Claire's class. Talked to Bobby about it and he agreed, so 2 days before school started, we got him a military buzz cut. Actually looks good!

On the first day of school, exactly 2 kids in the class showed up with short hair... our son Bobby, and David. What a bunch of AH parents was one of my first thoughts.

My wife takes the kids to school, and mentioned to me over the weekend the strange looks and scowls she encountered. Then, over the weekend, I learned that David's dad had told a few of people that obviously it was Bobby who'd had head lice. David had been to summer camp, as had his little sister Emily, and both showed up at school with short hair.

Knowing this, I messaged David's father asking him why the hell he'd spread false rumours like that, especially knowing it was his own son.

It wasn't a pleasant discussion. He denied he'd said it, then admitted it but said David didn't have lice, but then admitted in fact David did, but he had been treated and it was all ok and what's the big deal.

The big deal is that you've made my son the target of bullying with your bullshit lies.
He made stupid evasive excuses, David is a sensitive kid and was already feeling very down, sorry, but that's how it is.

Great, so throw my kid under the bus? And make my wife and I look like lovely parents who can't keep their kids clean? (Btw, head lice can happen to anyone. It has little to do with hygiene)
I told him... what you did is awful, and you need to come clean, and tell everyone.

He said he would... and didn't. Then, prodded again, he said he would... and didn't. Yesterday, I told him... if you don't post something about this by tonight, I will.
So, now it's tonight. I have the WhatsApp message ready to go. It's a work of art, with screenshots and everything. It makes it clear David's dad was spreading lies.

I'm ready to pull the trigger, but am curious what you all think.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My (26F) husband (33M) uses the same mop water for weeks, and refuses to stop.

quote:

My husband has only a few household tasks. One of them that he took on is mopping the floors. He has a bucket full of water, maybe 3 gallons, he will use to mop. He puts two or three cups of Pine Sol in the bucket, and then fills it up. When he is finished mopping, he will put the mop inside the bucket, and put the bucket on the porch. He uses the water until I throw it away. The water is often black when I throw it out. He will use the same water to clean up messes—if the dog pees on the floor, he mops it up and then puts the bucket of water back on the porch.

This is a major source of contention between us because I think it is incredibly gross. We have gotten into screaming arguments when he has “caught” me throwing out the mop water. He says the water is fine because the Pine Sol sterilizes it, and that he worked as a janitor before and he’s insulted that I think he doesn’t know how to clean a floor. “I cleaned a whole school for years and you think I don’t know how to clean a regular floor?” I have offered to do it myself but he sees it as an insult to his abilities.

Today I stepped into the kitchen and noticed that the entire floor felt grimy and sticky. He was sitting at the table and told me, “the dog peed so I thought I’d just do the whole floor.” I asked him if he bothered to change out the black water he’s been using, he said no. This started a fight of course. I told him that he made the floors filthy and that I (3 months pregnant) didn’t want to expose myself to whatever diseases are growing in the water. And I would be doing all the mopping from now on…with Bona, because we have hardwood floors. He told me he might as well not be in the house because clearly I don’t respect any of his choices. He got his keys, got in the car, and drove off. He was gone for hours. Came back and isn’t talking to me.

I feel like I’m going crazy. Is the Pine Sol actually sufficient??? Am I making something huge out of nothing? How am I supposed to fix this when I feel like I’ve tried to and it hasn’t worked?

Tl;dr: my husband uses dirty mop water for weeks. He won’t use different water or throw it out, and gets offended when I tell him I’ll do it. Don’t know what to do.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's an update to the "wife went straight out the door and left no way to contact her" post.

This truly sucks.

Coz if/when she makes it back home to her kids, I guarantee that the deadbeat husband, who tried to foist them off on his parents and then his sister, will have poisoned them against their "evil bitch whore of a mother who abandoned them and therefore hates them."

I wish her the best, and hopefully the kids will be able to grow up and see through their arsehole lazy dad's lies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

This truly sucks.

Coz if/when she makes it back home to her kids, I guarantee that the deadbeat husband, who tried to foist them off on his parents and then his sister, will have poisoned them against their "evil bitch whore of a mother who abandoned them and therefore hates them."

I wish her the best, and hopefully the kids will be able to grow up and see through their arsehole lazy dad's lies.

Those kids are going to feel like she abandoned them regardless of what he says.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Mx. posted:

My (26F) husband (33M) uses the same mop water for weeks, and refuses to stop.

Far too much cleaner for the amount of water (which by itself will leave a nasty residue), the water is obviously used for far too long, and there's no chance in hell that he's actually cleaning the mop. Not to mention that he's almost certainly not doing any kind of pre-cleaning to get loose dust (not to mention the nastier contaminants mentioned) off the floor before mopping.

In nearly a decade as a janitor, I do not believe that I have ever seen somebody who embodies incompetence to this level. I am genuinely impressed.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Midnight Voyager posted:

I love* when dubs do that. El Santo is now Samson, English speakers just could not fathom a guy being called El Santo.

That example is even a pair of Spanish words you could translate, but nah, Samson, "The Saint" isn't a name.

How would an English audience ever process a name like El Santo? "El what? Oh, is his name Al? Yeah, that's gotta be it. And the last name is some weird Mexican stuff probably, I'm just gonna call him Al."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down, if it's black splash it around.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I had assumed the change was to connect the character with another famous strong guy in people’s minds

E: also yeah to avoid confusion with Roger Moore being The Saint on TV

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Radar posted:

I had assumed the change was to connect the character with another famous strong guy in people’s minds

E: also yeah to avoid confusion with Roger Moore being The Saint on TV

I mean, that was one example. In a dub of the luchador movie Neutron the Atomic Superman vs. the Death Robots, they change the three lead guys's names from Carlos, Jaime, and Mario to Charles, James, and Mark. It's always super bizarre to see. I think I can understand a guy being named Mario.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Letter to ask a manager:

1. Our building is full of bats, sewer smells, moths, and more

quote:

Do you have advice on how to get upper management to take concerns about our facilities seriously? My coworkers and I haven’t been successful in communicating what seem like very obvious, major problems. For context, our employer is one of two tenants in a seven-story building downtown. The other floors have been vacated. The building is clearly run down and not maintained — e.g., the escalators are barred off and the awning is crumbling. The building itself is very outdated, but frankly, that’s the least of our concerns:

– There are bats in the office. Twice in the past month, there’s been a bat on the ceiling above our receptionist’s head (she is very freaked out). This has been an intermittent issue for years. At one point, someone discovered a bat in the office popcorn machine.

– The HVAC is spotty at best. If the AC is running, it creates a loud, distracting rattle on my side of the building that I need noise-canceling headphones to work through. Other parts of the building don’t seem to get AC, and it’s not unusual for most offices to be over 80 degrees through most of the summer. In the winter, we don’t have the ability to turn the heat down. I used to work with my window wide open in the middle of winter, but the windows have been replaced and don’t open now.

– The public restrooms — the ones we send our guests to use — smell like a sewer. One of the two stalls in the public women’s bathroom has been broken for over a year.

– Our offices adjoin to an empty space on the same floor. (We think this is where the bats live.) We think non-employees are accessing our space after hours through this empty space; for example, we found a man’s wallet left on the couch in the non-public women’s restroom.

– The air quality sucks. You get hit with a blast of musty/mildewy smell when you walk in the front door of the building. An upper floor flooded at one point, and we know that because of that, at least one of the director’s offices has mold in the walls.

– Dead cockroaches and moths on the floor and in stairwells are a common sight.

– We technically have a cleaning crew, but they’re spotty at best. We’re lucky if they take the trash out. They don’t vacuum.

Our lease is up next year, and upper management was exploring the possibility of moving to a different floor in the building that was renovated to our specifications. Those negotiations broke down, and now it sounds like we’re just planning to renew our existing lease. I can’t wrap my head around this — for what we’re paying for a downtown space, we could absolutely move to a newer, better maintained building anywhere else in town. I don’t think our director understands how bad this space is for morale, because he has a military background and has said in all-staff meetings a few times that our building conditions aren’t that bad compared to the spaces he worked in while he was deployed. We’re at-will employees, not service members.

I’m at a point in my career where it would make sense for me to move on soon, and the building condition is high on my list of reasons. I don’t understand why these issues aren’t being taken more seriously. Am I being unreasonable to want to work in an office free of bats and mold? How many times can I express displeasure at our circumstances before I get labeled as a whiner or a diva? If upper management has already said what course of action they plan to take, is there any point in me continuing to speak up?

I think these people all died, and are haunting their condemned workplace.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my daughter I am not paying for a destination wedding?

A few more edits....

quote:

Edit: Thanks for all of the comments have given me a great deal to think about. Before anything else, I know I am not the father of the year, and I am a spineless coward.

Tomorrow I am going to start making phone calls to price what a wedding in NY would cost at different head counts from 100 to 200 people. I do not know the exact size I just know he also has a large close family.

After I get that information I will use that to make an informed choice, but it will be an either or situation. Because they are playing this game I will tell both of them my wife and daughter that it is a wedding or house.

If my wife makes a fuss over it that is a battle I will have to face at another time.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
My (24F) boyfriend (29M) came prematurely during sex; he left embarrassed then said it was because he is uncertain about us

quote:

Hello

My (24F) boyfriend (29M) and I were finally ready to have sex tonight. He did some fingering foreplay to warm me up and then I got the condom out and was jerking him off to get him fully hard. I maybe did 5 strokes and then he came. He was really embarrassed; didn’t even want me to look at him and apologized. I tried to tell him to not feel bad even though I was a little disappointed. He just wanted to leave after a few minutes of cuddling.

Despite him being older I am more experienced than him. I have had 3 partners before him; two of which were very experienced and taught me a lot over the course of our relationship. He has only had sex with one person and since it was a LDR only a couple times.

He texted me when he got home. And essentially said he is now realizing he wasn’t actually ready because he was uncertain about our future. When I tried to talk to him about it he said he didn’t want to think anymore tonight. I went from wanting to comfort him and make sure he didn’t feel bad to almost feeling a little hurt that he dropped that on me and then just went to sleep. I also asked him very directly multiple times if he was ready; told him if he wasn’t I wouldn’t be upset.

Should I be trying to talk about things? Should I be stepping back if he’s having uncertainty?

Thanks very much

TLDR Boyfriend claims he is uncertain about our future and that’s why he couldn’t perform during sex

Maybe he had been smoking meth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F94b0qdrkcg

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Guys will make up all kinds of poo poo to try and avoid embarrassment when their penis is involved.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for keeping my son away from the delivery room?

quote:

My son (33M) and his wife(34F) have been having a lot of trouble in their marriage since she got pregnant with twins.

My son confessed that he was finding it harder and harder to be around her, and things got much worse for him when the babies would kick.

He is very much an adherent of healthy living, so it was hard for him when even when they had the whole family over, she would leave the table and devour leftover takeout food in the kitchen. And when he’d buy healthy food and offer her a gym membership, she would just yell at him.

What made it worse was the fact that his sister (20F) who gave birth in late December was comfortable in her pre baby clothes by mid January, and it made him feel like his wife was specifically not trying for him.

My son never cheated, yet his wife would pick fights about him texting other women who were his colleagues.

And a week ago, they had the biggest fight in their marriage in which he admitted that the babies kicking turned him off. She went ballistic and told him to leave her sight.

Two days later, we get a call from her mom that she was giving birth.

My son was contemplating whether he should be in the delivery room but I as a woman know that men get traumatized when seeing the baby come out.

In addition, I was terrified that he would get infected with some disease while in the hospital, which would not be good for any of the family.

So I told him to stay away and to make it up to her when she’s out of the hospital.

We end up getting a bunch of texts from my son’s MIL but nothing from his wife. We assumed that knowing my daughter in law, she probably would have screamed at my son to get out of her sight if he had entered the room, which would have caused him to be exposed to illness and not get to see the baby born anyway.

Now my daughter in law refuses to let my son and his family see his beautiful twin daughters and have named them something that my son didn’t agree to.

Despite the fact that many women have been giving birth alone and my son had promised to make it up to her. Her friends are also sending him nasty messages.

AITA for preventing what would have been permanent mental scarring for my son, scarring that would have further hurt their marriage? I really feel like I was trying to save my daughter in law from being viewed in an irreparably different way by my son.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

I as a woman know that men get traumatized when seeing the baby come out.

???

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

yeah there's a whooooooooole lot of :psyduck: in that post to unpack

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You don't sit in a chair across the room and look at the baby getting pushed out. You sit next to your wife and hold her hand.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Quackles posted:

Here is a spicy one.

WIBTA if I outed the kid who has head lice and the parent who lied about it?

I'm ready to pull the trigger, but am curious what you all think.

Los!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 22, 2023

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Cloacamazing! posted:

How would an English audience ever process a name like El Santo? "El what? Oh, is his name Al? Yeah, that's gotta be it. And the last name is some weird Mexican stuff probably, I'm just gonna call him Al."

Please, we all know it's Spanish for The Santo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I get why some language teachers do the whole change your name into a [language] version of it but that’s not really how names work lol. Something more appropriate would be to just change the pronunciation instead of the entire name itself.

Like instead of forcing some kid named Matthew to go by “Matthias” in German class, which is a different name, you could just call them Matthew but with a more german pronunciation. Idk, instead of “math-ew” you’d prolly pronounce it more like “mat-you”. Same name, but it’s more similar to how the German passport checker would say your name when they read your passport and flip through to look at every single stamp you have.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 22, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get why some language teachers do the whole change your name into a [language] version of it but that’s not really how names work lol. Something more appropriate would be to just change the pronunciation instead of the entire name itself.

Like instead of forcing some kid named Matthew to go by “Matthias” in German class, which is a different name, you could just call them Matthew but with a more german pronunciation. Idk, instead of “math-ew” you’d prolly pronounce it more like “mat-you”. Same name, but it’s more similar to how the German passport checker would say your name when they read your passport and flip through to look at every single stamp you have.

Eh, I get the concept, and I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing. What's weird about the Alexandra/Alejandra thing is that the rule doesn't apply to everyone- just the kids who have an "equivalent" Spanish name. If the rule was "everyone picks a Spanish/Hispanic name out of a hat for role-playing conversation" I would tell Alexandra to suck it up and participate. But singling her out, and doubling down about it, is just weird and that teacher needed to stop power-tripping.

E: Also it would have been kinda neat if we did that in English class in elementary school so we could have learned how to pronounce names like Phoebe, Saoirse, and Hermione.

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 22, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s a lovely practice in general for an adult to decide what to call a child other than the name they were told to call them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's a dumb practice. I don't give a poo poo what the spanish version of my name is- It's not my goddamn name, and if you call me that I'm not answering it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for trying to talk to my son?

quote:

So my son Jimmy is 18 and left for college at the end of August. We got a parent plus loan for him. Jimmy has basically ghosted us and changed his number. I contacted the college and they refused to speak to me. I tried his professors and nothing.

It started when I saw Jimmy out late on family 365 and he told me to gently caress off. I tried texting and calling but nothing but green text. My provider said the phone was shut and off.

The school is no help and I have been treated like a criminal when I went to campus to check on him. I was given the run around by student services and when I tried to enter the dorm campus police threatened to arrest me. I have no clue why they think this is Acceptable when I’m paying for school. My wife is sick to death and my other children don’t understand why Jimmy would “ghost” us. My wife called the campus and she was asked to stop because legal action will be taken and Jimmy is an adult but we have a parent plus loan and no one talks to us.

Well gee that's quite a story with a few holes! I wonder why-

Comments:

quote:

I know Jimmy is technically an adult and I got angry with him being out late but I didn’t think this is acceptable to cut off parents like this. I get he’s 18 so an adult but he’s still our teenage son.

Ah.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Jimmy made it through the gauntlet of late teenage pre adulthood, got them to sign the paperwork, and now Jimmy is free. Go Jimmy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In AITA if the question is AITA for [innocuous thing] the answer is almost always yes an when it is AITA for [thing that sounds horrible when summarized in half a sentence] the answer is usually surprisingly no.

AITA for making scrambled eggs? Horrifying behavior you can't believe they aren't estranged from their family

AITA for telling my mom to jump off a bridge? Turns out they were totally justified

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cowslips Warren posted:

Comments:

Ah.

:lmao: the gently caress outta here using spyware to snoop on what a college kid is doing at night.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not letting my boyfriend get a paternity test?

quote:

My boyfriend (19 M) and I (19 F) recently had a pregnancy scare and it started some conversations about what would happen if I actually was pregnant. Aside from our different opinions on whether I should get an abortion or not, (I think we’re too young and I should have one, he thinks I should have the baby so he can leave me and raise it until I decide I’m ready) he also stated that he would need to have a paternity test done.

We haven’t been dating too long but I’d say we’re in a happy, healthy relationship. I would never cheat on him and he knows this. I asked him why he felt a paternity test needed to be done and he said he didn’t want to waste his life raising a kid that wasn’t his. That’s when I reminded him that I love him and would never cheat on him. He said, “You could be the virgin mary and I would still want a paternity test. It’s not that I don’t trust it’s just that I want to make sure.”

I don’t know about you but that sounds like he doesn’t trust me. I kind of just stayed quiet because I felt awkward and didn’t know how to respond. It was all just very confusing but I wanted to make it clear that he should trust me. I eventually conceded and decided if he wanted it for assurance then fine but once he saw that the baby was his he would need to start showing more trust in me. That’s when he said he would paternity test all of our kids. That really got me so I decided to end the debate and said I wouldn’t be getting paternity tests for any kids. Then he got annoyed and started asking why he can’t have simple conversations with me like I do with my friends so I shut down feeling guilty that the conversation had turned into an argument. So AITA?

spacing added.
she needs to lock this catch down!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Comments:

Ah.

I worked helpdesk at my school when I was a student, and every so often we'd get a parent like this. By law we're extremely limited in what we can give third parties (and parents are, by definition, a third party) and some parents just were not having that. Never had anyone show up at the physical desk itself, but there were multiple parents very, very mad that I wouldn't give them access to their kid's grades, email address, financial aid info, etc.

Also gently caress you for the "I paid for this so I should have unrestricted access to the dorms" bullshit; other people live in the dorms, too. The world isn't dictated by your whims.

Also also, is there anyone who uses Family360 who's not an rear end in a top hat? It seems like an app exclusively used by the worst people in the world.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You don't sit in a chair across the room and look at the baby getting pushed out. You sit next to your wife and hold her hand.

if you're holding her hand then whos across the room with the catchers mitt???

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's a dumb practice. I don't give a poo poo what the spanish version of my name is- It's not my goddamn name, and if you call me that I'm not answering it.

Hard agree. My name did not have a Spanish equivalent so I got to be "Nardo" for three years. In the twenty years since I have not met a single Hispanic person who couldn't pronounce my English name perfectly. Absolute weapons-grade silliness.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Hard agree. My name did not have a Spanish equivalent so I got to be "Nardo" for three years. In the twenty years since I have not met a single Hispanic person who couldn't pronounce my English name perfectly. Absolute weapons-grade silliness.

El Hombre Lobo tiene nardos!!!!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s a lovely practice in general for an adult to decide what to call a child other than the name they were told to call them.

Yeah but I’m just saying if your name is Matthew and you go to Germany the people over there who read your name aren’t going to pronounce it the way an American would. The “th” sound doesn’t really exist there and pretty much all European languages seem to pronounce “a” a lot differently than English does. So the name Matthew would/could exist but it wouldn’t be pronounced the same, which isn’t the same thing as an adult calling you by a different name.

Another example is the name Anne. In English it’s pronounced “Ann”. In German it’s “Anna”. If you have the name “Anne” written on a name tag in Germany they’re going to pronounce it “Anna”. You can of course correct them but it’s still the same name, just different pronunciation. Where’s Matthew and Matthias are completely different names altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Modal Auxiliary posted: