Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Tesseraction posted:

It's spelled cellotape god drat it stop using yankspell.

Sorry to inform you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLA_ZK8HX6o&t=11s

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A73_road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

okay then you have to call all tissues kleenex and all ear-cleaning buds Q-tips

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Over 65s is made of eggs, under 65s is made of dogs.

They're both fine unless you have specific allergies, which is the reason for the split for statistical reasons.

Also *puts on Alex Jones tinfoil hat* the under 65 one will definitely turn you into a Bully XL and you'll eat a child :tinfoil:
Ahh haha yeah she did ask me if I was allergic to eggs, and then explained that some vaccines are made with egg protein but not the one I was having 🤷‍♂️

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tesseraction posted:

okay then you have to call all tissues kleenex and all ear-cleaning buds Q-tips

you don't?

also all game consoles are nintendos and all mobiles are iphones

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Lots of problems would be solved by the right substituting their HIV conspiracies for their covid conspiracies

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Not antisemitism. But still

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

kecske posted:

you don't?

also all game consoles are nintendos and all mobiles are iphones

All internet forums are awful

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

TACD posted:

Oh snap, I've just got the same vaccine. TBH I'm feeling less optimistic, worrying I might have hosed myself a bit by booking a slot as early as I could (I didn't know there was a "better" vaccine available). I particularly like that the information sheet says

…which makes me think 1) this is pharmacist-speak for "it's loving useless" and 2) I maybe should have gotten a different one since being immunocompromised is the whole reason I'm there as an under–65?

I didn't know that other countries had banned it? WTF lol, this feels very dicey all around.

Anyway they also offered me an "under-65 flu jab" which I happily accepted, though I have no idea why it's specifically for under-65s.

The comment about being less effective in immunocompromised people is probably going to apply to all the vaccines.

The US is *only* providing XBB vaccines now for everyone (I think the approval for the older vaccines has been removed but I can't find the link). Canada looks similar. Europe is limiting more to just older and vulnerable groups and the UK says they're only going to provide it for >65 and 'some other categories' but again I'm struggling to find real information (no surprise that we're being the most miserly with it). Maybe waiting longer would get you a newer vaccine or maybe that's all we're going to get this year.

As there's been so little discussion of Covid in the news etc the whole XBB/kraken variant is all new to me and finding solid info about what's available and to who is difficult.

Still, the older vaccine does provide a significant reduction in symptomatic conditions so it's far from worthless.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

It's spelled cellotape god drat it stop using yankspell.

One of my favourite bits of baffling localisation was when the first Harry Potter book was sold to America they removed one of the better jokes in the entire series because Harry fixing his glasses with Spellotape wouldn't make sense to a US audience, so they just called it tape.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

One of my favourite bits of baffling localisation was when the first Harry Potter book was sold to America they removed one of the better jokes in the entire series because Harry fixing his glasses with Spellotape wouldn't make sense to a US audience, so they just called it tape.

The fact that you'd consider that one of the better jokes in the entire series is ...illuminating

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It isn't a particularly clever series.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given one of the other jokes is the Northern Irish lad kept blowing things up, for example.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best localization is Harry Potter and the Glinner's One Stone

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I would have thought US children could be trusted to figure out for themselves that Spellotape is a type of tape with magical properties and/or used by wizards, though I'd also have thought you could trust them to have some idea what a philosopher was, so what do I know

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The marketers just correctly realised that a stone of a philosopher is a really loving boring idea for the general public.

It's just the British love for putting random antiquity props like 'philosopher' in places which they have no relevance to, there is hardly any philosophy in that book.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You know she didn't invent the term, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosopher%27s_stone

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the philosophers stone is some mythical ancient world doodad that turns metal into gold or something

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Lol jfc. Clearly they made the right choice dropping it if even people in this thread think JK Terfling invented it.

VVV

No It also granted eternal life.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 22, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

kecske posted:

the philosophers stone is some mythical ancient world doodad that turns metal into gold or something

Regardless it's a stupid name.

E: apparently yeah, it did everything magical in alchemy ever.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 22, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I read about it in a bunch of random books when I was a kid so I already knew it wasn’t a Harry Potter thing when that all started, but it did get me to read that book because I was 10 and I ended up pretty disappointed it wasn’t actually about weird alchemy poo poo like some of the other stuff I’d read.

I wish I could remember the book I’d first read with it in, I just remember it being written like a diary and set in the 1600s because it mentioned the great fire of London happening.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Regardless it's a stupid name.

E: apparently yeah, it did everything magical in alchemy ever.

To be fair, it's also been featured in proper literature

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now for a good story involving the Philosopher's Stone read FullMetal Alchemist.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Know what's really fun is we have to record every vaccine we give out - naturally, that makes sense. But we have to record them on different systems entirely. There's one website for flu vaccine, one for covid, one for recording blood pressure checks, one for recording New Medicine Reviews. They all have separate logins and tend to slow to a crawl at different times of day. And they take a *lot* of details. Also, guess how many extra staffing hours have been allowed so we can vaccinate two dozen people a day on top of all the work we usually do that we already don't have time for? It's none.
Pharmacy is great

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I liked how the Goblet of Fire wasn't a goblet, nor made out of fire.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
"...and I grew up and studied philosophy because of it - or, if you're American, sorcery..."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kecske posted:

Yes. The philosopher's stone, which allowed the transmutation of base metals into gold, was one of the three pillars of traditional alchemy. The others were the panacea - a medicine that would cure all diseases - and an elixir that granted immortality. It's often analogised to becoming a perfect person in religion: the philosopher's stone symbolised turning your base spiritual self into incorruptible gold through pure thought and faith; the panacea represented physical purity, avoiding illness through maintaining good health and not practicing venery; and the elixir was the combination of the two, being the life eternal granted to the faithful through the grace of God.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

History Comes Inside! posted:

I read about it in a bunch of random books when I was a kid so I already knew it wasn’t a Harry Potter thing when that all started, but it did get me to read that book because I was 10 and I ended up pretty disappointed it wasn’t actually about weird alchemy poo poo like some of the other stuff I’d read.

I wish I could remember the book I’d first read with it in, I just remember it being written like a diary and set in the 1600s because it mentioned the great fire of London happening.

Might not be this one but God I loved Jarvis books as a kid. Deeply hosed up stuff for a ten year old to be reading anyway.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It was also sometimes referred to as the Delicious Stone, just to make it clear to alchemists everywhere that, yes, you can lick it.

Kegluneq posted:

Might not be this one but God I loved Jarvis books as a kid. Deeply hosed up stuff for a ten year old to be reading anyway.

Hell, yes. It's a sin that popular culture latched onto Harry Potter when we should have seen big-screen Jim Henson Jarvis adaptations instead.

Cosmic-horror cat-gods wielding plague magic, possessed corn-doll serial killers, tragic romances, an insane preoccupation with repeatedly including flaying scenes in children's books - he's got it all.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 22, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

philosopher's stone? I barely even know ‘er stone!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

You can make gold, but it requires a nuclear reactor, platinum, lead and mercury... it involves shoving neutrons & protons around and is an extremely inefficient process that gives you gold that's actually radioactive.

:science: but also :byoscience: as an end result. :rolleyes:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

grobbo posted:

It was also sometimes referred to as the Delicious Stone, just to make it clear to alchemists everywhere that, yes, you can lick it.
Jamie Oliver and the Delicious Stone

Fackin plebs on benefits gainin eternal life an curin all diseases on my taxes! :wankah:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1704950671168958745

:allears:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Half of the GB news hosts feel like characters off a Chris Morris show while the other half seen to try some semblance of professionalism but you can tell are constantly debating if the money is worth this or not.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly the money has to be for them to sign up in the first place. But you're right, they must feel the soul cancer.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm just reposting this from the other week, on the slim chance that one of you hasn't watched it.

https://twitter.com/davidclewis/status/1700553956336750984

e: also this classic:

https://twitter.com/leolionmark/status/1666510054227337219

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 22, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

They declared a loss of £30m in march. Wonder how big a loss it will be by next year.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres always the risk with these things that you end up promoting GB News's engagement online but I honestly don't mind it. Their pitch was clearly "we're Fox News for the UK" only they didn't realise that the entire British media establishment already is Fox News so they're unnecessary and they've been tanking since day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Kegluneq posted:

Those were some miserable loving books, he loved to kill a fan favourite did Martin Jarvis.

E: great reads tho. I enjoyed the misery.