Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lyle's cd: Trailer Rash is one of those deep album cuts that you hear it and you're like "ok the singles are fine but this is why the album exists"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I found some old Thompson Twins tapes that we can use to listen to!

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Sadly on point that Teodor couldn't get an album.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
20's smarx: oh man, great outdoor fight, so badass lol, awesome

40's smarx: i just want ray's dream to be real for me please god

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love "some ain't not been stoned" as a line so much.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That's fine, 'cause that's okay.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Crossposting from the PYF terrible book thread because, as I posted there, for a split second I genuinely literally thought this was a parodical document produced by Onstad:

Unkempt posted:

I mean, some of it looks sort of interesting, but I don't think I want to pay money for that.
Specifically, when A Dictionary of International Slurs was listed as having "Many anti-Semitic examples." (and a foreword by a professor at Brandeis)
and also "Using stereotypes, members of professions, religious, ethnic groups, and animals are shown how they allegedly do it."

Like, Onstad absolutely could have written some of this, right?

(and there's even Catullus 16!)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

you will never be gof champion but your alacrity at posting through it puts you in perennial contention for the insignificant indoor flamewar

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

smarxist posted:

20's smarx: oh man, great outdoor fight, so badass lol, awesome

40's smarx: i just want ray's dream to be real for me please god

This strip is an all-timer. It's where I got my forums username from

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Cares posted:

This strip is an all-timer. It's where I got my forums username from

"Some ain't need to be stoned in order to have strange cares." is such a beautiful sentence, aesthetically, but also when you juxtapose it with the ridiculous situation of beef sealed into a container to grill with radioactive arms, and Ray's gentle, completely non-judgmental commentary on it. Achewood is special god dammit.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've remarked to a friend how only two comic strips have lodged themselves in their near-entirety into my head, Bloom County and Achewood. For some reason I have ridiculous recall for both but not any other strip, no matter how much I loved it.

My dad had Bloom County Babylon while I was growing up in the 80's and it helped me teach myself to read.

Achewood is very similarly formative for me except I was in my 20's and it didn't help me read but did give me the concept of "from circumstances" and death being the only game in town.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

smarxist posted:

"Some ain't need to be stoned in order to have strange cares." is such a beautiful sentence, aesthetically, but also when you juxtapose it with the ridiculous situation of beef sealed into a container to grill with radioactive arms, and Ray's gentle, completely non-judgmental commentary on it. Achewood is special god dammit.

And the arc ends with Ray's "Just Some Knuckleheads From The Day!" quilt, which is a phrase that's also permanently stuck in my brain, and which I also want when I'm an astronaut spoon-feedin' dollar chili to a worse-lookin' astronaut at Wendy's.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you remember when a burrito was six dollars? It is now nine dollars.
It is now eleven dollars.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do you have a reminder set.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

Do you have a reminder set.

yes along with the milk and eggs minder app

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Can you make it not have the milk part?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

RocketMermaid posted:

And the arc ends with Ray's "Just Some Knuckleheads From The Day!" quilt, which is a phrase that's also permanently stuck in my brain, and which I also want when I'm an astronaut spoon-feedin' dollar chili to a worse-lookin' astronaut at Wendy's.

For my buddy's wedding I got him a custom onstad pen sketch of Ray and Beef under the knuckleheads quilt

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

more falafel please posted:

For my buddy's wedding I got him a custom onstad pen sketch of Ray and Beef under the knuckleheads quilt

Did it set you back class money?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Zefiel posted:

Did it set you back class money?

We lookin' at a six hundo.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Not that it was a risky prediction, but the poster who guessed that Ray would be immediately accepted and more popular than Pat got it right on.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Also I'm glad Achewood came back to deliver this character arc that I never knew I craved.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pat is the lord of all "it's completely fine when I do it" guys

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Electroshock was the only proven way of making Pat nice. A hero dose of shrooms is only going to push him into becoming the ultimate rear end in a top hat :shroom:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

Electroshock was the only proven way of making Pat nice. A hero dose of shrooms is only going to push him into becoming the ultimate rear end in a top hat :shroom:

"WELL YOU AND I SHOULD PROBABLY LOSE SOME WEIGHT!"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

RocketMermaid posted:

"WELL YOU AND I SHOULD PROBABLY LOSE SOME WEIGHT!"

I have found this to be a great way to end, if not necessarily win, arguments that cannot and need not be won anyway

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Javid posted:

I have found this to be a great way to end, if not necessarily win, arguments that cannot and need not be won anyway

Yeah but then you gotta try and align schedules so Robert Smith can call up during a sit-down bath and pass on your apology, which can be frustrating.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

tha_snazzle: i have had whoper

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

"From eminent non-activist and socially harmed man Roast Beef Kazenzakis"

Is this the most perfect thing ever written? Maybe.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Watching Adventure Time as an adult has made me realize that Jake is incredibly similar to Ray in multiple ways

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
white on white
translucent
black capes
down from the rack

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Who is playing that raucous and spirited brass band music rooted in tuba at this hour?!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well as far as bad trips go I guess you could do a lot worse than having an off brand Jim Henson production shoving yourself in your face

Dunny
Jul 11, 2022

On that secret Taco Bell menu since small times

(Thanks for the Achewood collection, dude)
I think the lyrics might suggest that Pat is in some real trouble here.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Man, I love when Onstad gets all graphical

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Who is playing that raucous and spirited brass band music rooted in tuba at this hour?!

Why is this rice acting insane?!

Honestly I'm loving this.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Oh no

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

(we all thought it would be Todd)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Statler: “Oh, look, a cat tripping on stage.”
Waldorf: “Hopefully he trips off the stage.”

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ullerrm posted:

Statler: “Oh, look, a cat tripping on stage.”
Waldorf: “Hopefully he trips off the stage.”

:stat::wal: Dohohohoho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I feel like Pat would have a strong reaction looking at a bowl of rice even without overdosing on microdoses