Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Thank you both that sounds worth getting at heavy discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Recluce books tend to the formulaic but it's quite a satisfying formula.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fart of Presto posted:

The Artificial Kid by Bruce Sterling - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDDKVWQ

One of the only old Sterling books I've never read

I’ll have to look it up. I remember enjoying it back in 1991ish but that’s hardly a recommendation for 2023.

Fart of Presto posted:

Edit: And there's a bundle of 36 books by L.E. Modesitt, Jr on Humble Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/le-modesitt-collection-tor-publishing-group-books

Much like the commentary about Modesitt’s books, the books are all basically the same. He’s almost the Dick Francis of fantasy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Lead out in cuffs posted:

c) While ostensibly fairly progressive politically, he is from another era, and this does reflect in his work. e.g. I can't recall a single LGBTQ character, there is little to no racial diversity, and, while there is often an equally-competent wife, the main character is always male.

He's gotten slightly better with some of the newer books. I'm a big fan but as others have said it's pretty much the same book over and over but it's non-offensive reading.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I've only ever read The Spellsong Cycle and a bunch of Recluce and Spellsong was imo better in every way.

Modesitt Jr has a very strong prose style where the characters all sound the same and is in denial about the extensive similarities in the vibes of his books and characters.

FWIW Recluce is fun because most of the books are standalone and bounce all over the chronology and you sometimes get to see the same conflict from two sides as separate standalones. I would stop reading any time you've had enough. I followed publication order and dropped it somewhere around Cyador's Heirs.

Spellsong can be read as a trilogy + sequel duology and the trilogy is an isekai with an opera singer protagonist. The duology is set like 20 years later after her death and is about her heir dealing with the transition in power.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ulmont posted:

I’ll have to look it up. I remember enjoying it back in 1991ish but that’s hardly a recommendation for 2023.
I grabbed it because Schismatrix was still really good as of a year ago. That's not an endorsement for this one because I haven't read it yet!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Michael Whelan is unfairly good at fantasy book cover art

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrixNebulosa posted:

FACT

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Rarely do you see the " I could take you with both hands tied behind my back" threat brought up in a book cover.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"y'know I was thinking this day wasn't going well when my hands got tied behind my back and all my clothes got ripped off but then this hot chick on a horse showed up and drat if things aren't looking up"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm sure that book is terrible, but I want to know more about that sword.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can’t see it but you can really feel the guy sticking out his tongue

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm sure that book is terrible, but I want to know more about that sword.

This is cover art to CJ Cherryh's Morgaine series so don't worry it's actually awesome!!!!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I started "Shards of Honor", and was enjoying it, but the rape + torture bit is making me want to stop.

How much more rape/torture am I in for?

Specifically talking about when Cordelia gets captured by Vorrutyer.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
there's a bit more sexual assault in the next Cordelia book. The Miles books don't have much of any sexual assault but do reference it there is also some torture scattered throughout. And one specific book you may want to skip if torture is a big problem for you.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I grabbed it because Schismatrix was still really good as of a year ago. That's not an endorsement for this one because I haven't read it yet!

I think you'll like it if you liked Schismatrix. It's similarly wild in a lot of ways. It also gave me the sense he was trying to riff on Dhalgren some, but without the overtly gross stuff.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

there's a bit more sexual assault in the next Cordelia book. The Miles books don't have much of any sexual assault but do reference it there is also some torture scattered throughout. And one specific book you may want to skip if torture is a big problem for you.

Mirror Dance, I assume.

Those scenes are not typical of Bujold, and if you were enjoying the book up till now, I'd say it's worth pressing on.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 22, 2023

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

StrixNebulosa posted:

Whenever I see Michael Whelan's rad fantasy book cover art I get all mad about the current fantasy cover design trend of mundane and decidedly un-fantastical typographic covers with maybe a colorized stock photo collage. Just look at the soulless new covers for the WoT paperbacks. Last time I at the bookstore I walked past the fantasy aisle twice because from a distance it all looked effectively the same as general fiction.

I miss seeing all and castles and dragons and cool armor and magic swords and poo poo. It used to be so fun and colorful and compelling.

:smith:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Queen Victorian posted:

Whenever I see Michael Whelan's rad fantasy book cover art I get all mad about the current fantasy cover design trend of mundane and decidedly un-fantastical typographic covers with maybe a colorized stock photo collage. Just look at the soulless new covers for the WoT paperbacks. Last time I at the bookstore I walked past the fantasy aisle twice because from a distance it all looked effectively the same as general fiction.

I miss seeing all and castles and dragons and cool armor and magic swords and poo poo. It used to be so fun and colorful and compelling.

I feel the same way. In some ways it's even worse as a romance fan - it used to be gorgeous paintings of the main couple, there was a plague of Fabios, but it was all fun to look at, and now it's either two stock image people with photoshop filters, or stock clip art with filters over it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Selachian posted:

Mirror Dance, I assume.

Those scenes are not typical of Bujold, and if you were enjoying the book up till now, I'd say it's worth pressing on.

The spoiled book is really rough on the protagonist psychologically, including literal torture. Not gonna downplay, they're still in therapy years later. I'd recommend trying, it's a phenomenal novel, just not an easy read.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Queen Victorian posted:

I loved the cover of Black Stone Heart for this reason, it's only a couple years old, it depicts a scene from the book instead of just being stock photos:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is cover art to CJ Cherryh's Morgaine series so don't worry it's actually awesome!!!!

Yeah morgaine is fantastic, but it's a gritty emotionally intense exploration of honour and loyalty in a fundamentally compromised world, which, uh

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

you folks just wait until book covers are all AI art. you're going to miss those stock photos!!!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Testaments (Handmaid's Tale #2) by Margaret Atwood - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KVLPYDQ/

The Penultimate Truth by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MZN172/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I loved the cover of Black Stone Heart for this reason, it's only a couple years old, it depicts a scene from the book instead of just being stock photos:

It still pisses me off that you cannot buy this as a poster. It's one of the best covers I've ever seen. Same with gb's flaming mask cover to baru.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Queen Victorian posted:

Whenever I see Michael Whelan's rad fantasy book cover art I get all mad about the current fantasy cover design trend

Yeah. I have all of the books Whelan published back in the day and he is the reason, entirely, why I pursued a career in art. (Ok, I got derailed into animation blah blah blah but still..)
The dude was an artist. He had a whole process that basically no one is ALLOWED to have anymore. Read book. Tons of thumbnails/sketches. Back and forth with publisher and author. More sketches. Color designs. Then, at long last, he paints the goddamn cover.

Fucker had brushes he customized for his process. Like, brushes with one or two bristles that he'd use to cross hatch shade the fine details.

Then, like Waterson, he retired at the night of his success and has been living his best life ever since.

I will forever be in awe of his process and his results.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016CQUL4U/

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
So I'm assuming other people in here have heard Harlan Ellison read his, "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream"? I was driving between Buffalo, WY and Casper, WY (aka the middle of nowhere) and decided to listen to his reading; I have read the book before. Probably the most unhinged poo poo I've ever heard, but it brought that story to life so much, just how deeply psychotic it would be in that situation.

I also listened to "All Tomorrows" for the first time on that trip and that was good as well in an existential dread kind of way. I liked the insane time scales of the story.

Looking for any recommendations for similar books. Another good rogue AI story may work, but as far as "All Tomorrows", I'm not necessarily interested in going down further rabbit holes about human modifications, but something in that vein if that makes sense?

I've also been wondering if "Ancillary Sword" would be any good? I enjoyed Ancillary Justice for the most part.

I guess I'm just mainly looking for some good AI poo poo

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Met the dude once in a bar (there was a con going on there) and he was very clear that he turned down unbelievable amounts of money to do Gor books. Wanted no part of them. Which is cool.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Speaking of, I'm extremely excited for the new Waterson

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MarksMan posted:

So I'm assuming other people in here have heard Harlan Ellison read his, "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream"? I was driving between Buffalo, WY and Casper, WY (aka the middle of nowhere) and decided to listen to his reading; I have read the book before. Probably the most unhinged poo poo I've ever heard, but it brought that story to life so much, just how deeply psychotic it would be in that situation.

I listened to the BBC radio play. I believe he plays the computer in that one. I also think he did voice acting for the video game. Both are good!

thotsky fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 24, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MarksMan posted:

I guess I'm just mainly looking for some good AI poo poo

The Darfsteller by Walter M. Miller

Diaspora by Greg Egan

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

thotsky posted:

I listened to the BBC radio play. I believe he plays the computer in that one. I also think he did voice acting for the video game. Both are good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgo-As552hY poo poo's great in a psychotic way if you have 40 minutes to kill one day

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Anias posted:

I assume you've read Banks (the culture) and Clarke (Rama). If not, there you go. You might not have read Octavia Butler (Dawn, but many of her other works are worth reading as well.) Perhaps you might enjoy Julie E Czerneda's Trade Pact (A Thousand Words For Stranger is the start point).

Thanks for the recommendations (from almost 2 years ago lol.) I'm about halfway through Dawn and still need to finish it, but generally have enjoyed it thus far. For whatever reason, I feel like it's one of those books that I need to be in the right setting to listen to and absorb. I enjoyed Rama and have thought of continuing with the series.

The Culture I've had the desire to start numerous times, but I read the Amazon reviews and they seem ambiguous, although at the same time I know there are poo poo reviews of some books I think are excellent.

fez_machine posted:

The Darfsteller by Walter M. Miller

Diaspora by Greg Egan

The settings/premise of Diaspora (from Wikipedia) sounds interesting. May add this to the list.

MarksMan fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 24, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MarksMan posted:

The Culture I've had the desire to start numerous times, but I read the Amazon reviews and they seem ambiguous, although at the same time I know there are poo poo reviews of some books I think are excellent.

Culture is as well written as galaxy-spanning space opera gets, and you can take that to the bank(s) :rackem:

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

buffalo all day posted:

Culture is as well written as galaxy-spanning space opera gets, and you can take that to the bank(s) :rackem:

Would you recommend starting with the first book, or would there be any value-add/reason to start elsewhere in the series? Someone on Amazon mentioned it may be better to start with the second book "Player of Games"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It still pisses me off that you cannot buy this as a poster. It's one of the best covers I've ever seen. Same with gb's flaming mask cover to baru.

I'll ask him if that kinda merchandise will be a thing.

Have you read his new book in the Manifest Delusions series, A War To End All? Just finished the review ebook he sent me, great book.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

MarksMan posted:

Would you recommend starting with the first book, or would there be any value-add/reason to start elsewhere in the series? Someone on Amazon mentioned it may be better to start with the second book "Player of Games"

I think that’s probably right. Start with Player of Games then Use of Weapons then Excession probably.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It still pisses me off that you cannot buy this as a poster. It's one of the best covers I've ever seen.

He said: "You know, I keep thinking about setting up a store with stuff like. I should probably get off my butt and do it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MarksMan posted:

The first book isn’t bad, but it’s very different to the rest of the series ala Discworld. Come back to it later.