Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
The problem with the game is they made the level cap 100, but then sat at a table and said “we don’t really intend people to grind out level 100” without realizing that arpg brain will make people want to hit the cap even though it is tedious as hell.

If you frame it as “levels are supposed to out last most people’s interest in grinding gear for a character” the game feels a lot better, but that’s not how most people are gonna frame it. It doesn’t help that the first couple of dozen paragon points are very powerful, but the additive nature of most paragon bonuses means they fall off pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I meant more of different flavors of boards to add more choices. The way it is now it seemed there was clearly correct choices for each archetype . But Honestly the boards seems to be pretty good now .

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ideally season 2 will not have a mechanic which revolves around having to kill the same annoying elite twice.

Peak diablo for me is killing the same annoying elite endlessly, but it has a chance of dropping a ton of different loot that isn't set to drop for 2-3 players per season for some really loving weird reason. I am not sure why D4 NMDs feel so different than dumb D2 sanc/baal runs, maybe just muscle memory, but I cannot bring myself to chain them for more than an hour or two at best.

Launch Barb was a lot of fun for me, S1 Rogue felt underwhelming, S2 Sorc run unless the patch notes really call to me to play another class. Pls let more bosses spawn at random in dungeons like butcher, I want more duriel just poppin on to say hello.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
idk why they ditched the d2 style normal/nightmare/hell difficulty thing. mobs in a5 nm are a little harder than a1 hell so you can push through and start killing hell mobs to start getting better gear drops without having the current problem of the waffle between end if t3 being useful/beginning of t4 being too hard

got my hc sorc to 100. got my first and second recharging aspect drops from the dungeon that i hit 100 in. aspect is 1.5 - 3.0 seconds (1.5 in codex) and i got a 1.5 and 2.0 drop. super

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Both current and ex-blizzard devs stated that the game was forced into a release date after a major reorganization within the diablo team specifically.

I don't think what we've played was anybody's vision.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I'm curious, how many people in here have at least one character at 100, and how many don't have anyone at 100, but at least over 50?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I'm curious, how many people in here have at least one character at 100, and how many don't have anyone at 100, but at least over 50?

I made it to like 72 on my druid before I realized playing further was actually boring and I started playing D2 for the first time in decades.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think I have 4 or 5 chars at 80ish and maybe another 3 at 50. I'm still playing when I have an hour here or there. Looking forward to the continued enhancements. They definitely need to do something about the finding, sorting through, and "stickiness" of items at higher levels.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I've burned out at 86 and 72. After 50 it's fun for a bit but the loop doent do much for me and I just wind up not logging in one day. ATM I'm just doing one class per season until the endgame makes me want to play more and try different builds. S1 none of the alternate builds were that interesting to me so I just fizzled when my rogue felt like it would take a lot of time to rebuild to accommodate better NMD pushing.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
3 @ 100
2 over 60

guess now i’m gonna try to get 100 % off remaining achievements

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

I have one necro at 95 but chain running nmds is so tedious because affixes are either incredibly annoying, easily ignorable, or practically impossible (60% less overpower damage when the build is all about overpower) so I spend way too much time sorting nmds making me more irritated. On top of that the affixes on gear that I care about are extremely few and far between (overpower, fortify, health, etc) that the vast majority of drops are completely useless. I don't care about paragon levels at this point, the gear slot machine is stuck on having 2 out of 4 affixes be nonfunctional elemental resistances, and the enemies are boring and annoying in equal measure.

I also have a chain lightning sorcerer on eternal that's in the mid eighties but the same problems apply except I'm way faster but more squishy.

I like a lot of the game but there's just so many pieces missing.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
3 @ 100
And a few in their teens

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

At least they walked it back lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Shodai posted:

I die inside when I see people saying to "wait for season x" or "it's got a good base".

Modern Blizzard can't even get a horse, a core pillar of D4, to navigate around basic environment elements.

Move on.

i will NEVER move on

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

B80, D60, N40, R30

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

1 at 100, haven’t logged back on since I finally got there.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
mid80s from preseason and mid70s from s1. i also had a 50ish hc rogue that died to something dumb.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I got a character to 100 for the first season challenge. The only challenge I didn't do was the Lilith fight, because it's dumb.

getting to 100 wasn't that much of a grind really, I would compare it to maybe 92 or 93 in PoE

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I got to 97 in the season but then BG3 came out, and then MK1, now Cyberpunk update, next month is Spider man 2 and Alan Wake 2 and then Like a Dragon Gaiden after that so there are too many games I want to play!

I finished the season journey and battlepass ages ago so Diablo is taking a back seat until next season at least.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 22, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Season 2 features announcement/reveal/Q&A livestream is the first week of October.

Specific date and time of the campfire chat will be announced early next week.

There will only be 2 weeks until the next season after that, so it seems like the second chat will happen the next week.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I wonder how much of this is down to how many games there are competing for our time now. Not just new releases, but other live service games that expect you to be logging in and clearing dailies. I don't really think it's realistic for games to expect people to invest as much time in them as they seem to demand.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How much time does Diablo 4 demand from you? You play it until you stop having fun and then shelve it until the next season/update. There’s not really any dangling carrot or reason to play past that point. The battle pass is both largely uninteresting and can be 100% long before your seasonal character is close to maxed out.

I’ve never felt “ahh gently caress I gotta log into D4 today I don’t wanna miss something / fall behind”.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
That is one nice thing. I burned out about 2 weeks into S1 after I got a rogue into the mid 70s and I had long since finished the season pass. This is my first time checking back into the thread since the PoE season launch and I was mostly just curious to see when S2 was starting because I couldn't remember.

I'll probably jump back in during S2 to see what if anything they have changed and improved but from the first stream at Gamescom or whatever it didn't seem like all that much was changing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only time I felt burnt out and didn’t just stop playing was because I gave myself the goal of finishing the season journey and had to set alarms for two weeks to get the stupid world bosses. Then the reward was the equivalent of Nintendo giving you a literal pile of poo poo for collecting all the Korok seeds. Not sure I’ll do that for Season 2 unless they make the final tier less stupid.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Substandard posted:

That is one nice thing. I burned out about 2 weeks into S1 after I got a rogue into the mid 70s and I had long since finished the season pass. This is my first time checking back into the thread since the PoE season launch and I was mostly just curious to see when S2 was starting because I couldn't remember.

I'll probably jump back in during S2 to see what if anything they have changed and improved but from the first stream at Gamescom or whatever it didn't seem like all that much was changing.

I got a necro to 80-ish this time around I think? I'm probably going to do one class per season for a while until I get tired of that season, then come back for the next.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

They should've gone with the Diablo Battle Royale mode.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Here's another question for everyone:

Of the time you've spent playing D4, about what percentage of that time have you been playing solo?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t have any friends so 100%

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Got characters into the 70's in both start and s1 and another character past 50. I have never grouped.

That's probably as much time as I played Diablo 2 or 3 when they came out. Will play again at some point, pretty iffy on s2 unless they do more interesting things with it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Of the time you've spent playing D4, about what percentage of that time have you been playing solo?

Very little outside of the campaign.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I got a barb to ... idk, 47 this season? I may log back in to get renown for next season.

All solo, they need a loving match making system.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Diablo is a single player game

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Diablo is a single player game

:hmmwrong:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Phanatic posted:

99%. it’s weirdly annoying to group up after 50

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Verviticus posted:

99%. it’s weirdly annoying to group up after 50

This is a real problem. Game needs some matchmaking or somethin too.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Running around the PvP area 8 hours after the game came out with a gank squad of 4 friends absolutely hooting and hollering the whole drat time.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

This is a real problem. Game needs some matchmaking or somethin too.

Didn't D3 have this or am I misremembering?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the best strat even while grouping was to spread out so what's the point

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

American McGay posted:

I’ve never felt “ahh gently caress I gotta log into D4 today I don’t wanna miss something / fall behind”.
I mean yeah but that's kind of my point? You look at the structure of D4 and it seems like it's intended to be a game that people should want to keep playing. Blizz keep talking about it as if it's a live service game, and the entire series up to this point has had that kind of eternal grind endgame, like people should want to login and play a Diablo type game for quite a while.

I don't know if I can exactly put into words the point I'm getting at, but I guess the way Diablo is currently, if it was the only game competing for my time then the activities it has wouldn't be so bad. But as Quote-unquote said above, it's not.

Maybe it's less that Diablo is the problem, but the problem is there are too many other games that are competing for our limited time now. In my case I only have an hour or two a night free, and I also have stuff to do on Destiny 2, so that's also a factor in choosing which game I want to go do my chores in.

I mean if you can resist chasing the dragon I'm happy for you, but you have to accept that the live service gaming industry (and Acti/Blizz in particular) have gotten very good at fomo and carrot/stick enticements, and there was probably a whole boardroom of wankers throwing words like engagement and retention around at multiple points during development.

Games like Diablo are designed to keep people playing (in fact Diablo 2 was probably one of the original 'weird lifelong playerbase' games) and the fact that nobody in this thread or reddit or seemingly anywhere wants to keep playing 3 months after release is a sign of how deeply hosed the game is.

What would be really funny is if they panicked and stripped out the monetisation after the backlash from Immortal, but all of the 'creatives' they have are so brain-broken by moneyisation that they literally don't know how to make a game people want to keep playing without the weird abusive monetisation.

Maybe I'm wrong and they only ever intended it to be one-and-done, like Baldur's Gate. But it's just weird to look around and see a Diablo playerbase this disengaged from the endgame loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Brother you need to stop pontificating about the Games Industry and simply play games that you enjoy. Really weird brain to make that post.