Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Two months, hats, cats, and other folk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm a month younger than Ncuti :negative:

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Heed this warning from the Nice Page: Enjoy your youth while you still have it, lest you become a brittle sack full of nothing but regrets and bad bones (like me)!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Vinylshadow posted:

His birthday is on the 15th of October, so happy birthday!

EDIT: I don't understand time.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 15, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Clouseau posted:

THAT'S NOT HOW TIME WORKS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maybe Clouseau is from two months in the future? Did you ever think of that? :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Class3KillStorm posted:

Heed this warning from the Nice Page: Enjoy your youth while you still have it, lest you become a brittle sack full of nothing but regrets and bad bones (like me)!

Doin' my best~ :D

Clouseau posted:

<3

Edward Mass posted:

THAT'S NOT HOW TIME WORKS

No one's ever sure. It's all a bit wibbly-wobbly, ya know?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

The Ninth Doctor audio "The Butler Did It" is soooo much fun

I will second this - but I also enjoyed "Run" from that series. Actually, the whole series is great. He seems to be having such fun in the role again and I am all here for it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I had a listen to the audio adaptation of The Ultimate Adventure, and aside from historical curiosity, there's not much to this one. In a short lived 1989 stage play, Jon Pertwee and later Colin Baker reprised their role as the Doctor. For whatever reason, there was no offical recording of the show, so the only way to experience it is via some very low quality fan bootlegs.

That is, unless you go for the Big Finish adaptation starring Colin Baker. The Ultimate Adventure has a very thin excuse plot - the daleks want to ruin a peace conference, the cyberman help them, the Doctor stops them. For a low budget stage show that works, for an audio version, it feels bland. There's a lot of telling rather than showing, and things being handwaved away. The songs aren't terrible, but aside from the first verse of 'Strange Attractor', they aren't very catchy. Baker, as always, gives it a good run.

It's an interesting oddity, and it's nice that its being perserved properly in some way, but there's not much too it.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 19, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hilariously, Character Options just released a 6th Doctor and TARDIS set based on his Ultimate Adventure costume.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Hilariously, Character Options just released a 6th Doctor and TARDIS set based on his Ultimate Adventure costume.

:barf::barf::barf:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whatever dude. Aside from the Fred Scooby Doo vampire bow thing, any part of that outfit is something I'd totally want to wear. I'm honestly surprised little symbol embroidery on collars for button up shirts isn't a thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He looks like he’s dressed as one of those tents they put up around a house being fumigated.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khanstant posted:

I'm honestly surprised little symbol embroidery on collars for button up shirts isn't a thing.

Right?? I’ve seen it once ever that wasn’t a question mark and it looked really nice.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I think the jacket, being that there's fewer harshly contrasting colors, might have worked better than the regular show costume did. They wouldn't be able to do any blue screen effects, but I don't remember there being a ton in Colin's time there anyway.

The pants, though, don't work, and would need to get replaced with something that doesn't clash as hard.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Two things about Blu-rays:

-There's a gently caress-off-huge New Who set limited to 6,000 boxes containing seasons 27-39 coming out soon
-Season 20 still doesn't have a release date for Region A despite being out in the UK

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

I had a listen to the audio adaptation of The Ultimate Adventure, and aside from historical curiosity, there's not much to this one. In a short lived 1989 stage play, Jon Pertwee and later Colin Baker reprised their role as the Doctor. For whatever reason, there was no offical recording of the show, so the only way to experience it is via some very low quality fan bootlegs.

That is, unless you go for the Big Finish adaptation starring Colin Baker. The Ultimate Adventure has a very thin excuse plot - the daleks want to ruin a peace conference, the cyberman help them, the Doctor stops them. For a low budget stage show that works, for an audio version, it feels bland. There's a lot of telling rather than showing, and things being handwaved away. The songs aren't terrible, but aside from the first verse of 'Strange Attractor', they aren't very catchy. Baker, as always, gives it a good run.

Wait, this was a musical?

How did I never hear that?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Edward Mass posted:

Two things about Blu-rays:

-There's a gently caress-off-huge New Who set limited to 6,000 boxes containing seasons 27-39 coming out soon
-Season 20 still doesn't have a release date for Region A despite being out in the UK

Apparently someone in US DVD/BR support said Season 20 is coming out early next year.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Compared to the action figure, the actual costume isn't awful, especially considering it was made very quickly, but images where Baker doesn't have the coat look so much better. Jon Pertwee's experiences in the play haven't been recorded in as much detail, but his costume was basically just a typical Third Doctor look. The Sixth Doctor got a new one, and when David Banks had to step in as an understudy, they just cobbled his Doctor's costume from whatever was nearby.

The Sixth Doctor just couldn't catch a break, fashion-wise - I'm not a huge fan of the blue suit either, but there are limits on what PhotoShop can do, so I suppose its not entirely fair.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait, this was a musical?

How did I never hear that?

There's three songs. Two are performed by characters who are nightclub singers and one the two original companions just decide to sing a love song for no reason. Sadly, the Sixth Doctor doesn't sing.

Apparently they were added at the request of the producers, who also wanted a flying scene and a bit set in the French revolution. Terrence Dicks was not massively happy about this, apparently.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 20, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It really is the awful banana pinstripe pants bringing the costume down. The clashing plaids are one thing but that garish yellow on top of everything else is just a bridge too far.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Don't know if it's Stockholm Syndrome, but I kind of like the Sixth Doctor's coat. I do wonder if the rest of the outfit was more normal (black trousers and shoes, black waistcoat, no tie, for example), the coat would just become an eccentricity and it would look a lot more palatable as an ensemble.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
All of the individual elements of Six's costume are fine on their own, honestly, it just that they don't mesh at all. The coat would probably work if it was the one over-the-top element of a standard outfit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If anything, I think the coat should be even crazier. The design is more mismatched panels than patchwork and for some called out as distractingly garish, it's still mostly just reds. Tone down everything else and crank up the coat and it might have been a good approach, especially since he could take off the coat for scenes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Zaroff posted:

Apparently someone in US DVD/BR support said Season 20 is coming out early next year.

Have they said anything about a Jodie Whittaker Years Blu-ray box set? I'm not buying a DVD set, this ain't 2011.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Edward Mass posted:

Have they said anything about a Jodie Whittaker Years Blu-ray box set? I'm not buying a DVD set, this ain't 2011.

Nothing about a Whittaker-specific set like the Smith and Capaldi ones, but it’s going to be a part of the big 2005-2022 set which is coming out later this year (with properly upscaled Eccleston/Tennant sets).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

After The Ultimate Adventure, I decided to listen to the Big Finish adaptation of The Seven Keys to Doomsday and its again, more of a historical curiosity than anything. The Ultimate Adventure had an air of air of fun 80s camp and a Colin Baker performance, instead we get a non-canon Fourth Doctor, played by Trevor Martin.

The original play was staged in 1974, with the gimmick being that an image of Pertwee's Doctor would be shown, before Martin entered in a wig, falling over and regenerating, before being joined by two new companions - one of who was originally played by Wendy Padbury, but not playing Zoe. Martin does a decent job as the Doctor, feeling a bit like a mish mash of parts of the First and Third Doctors, but it's a functional, stripped down Doctor. The plot is functional - the Time Lords want the Doctor to get a mcguffin, the Daleks want it, the companions ask questions, daleks shout and blow up. It feels very much like a 60s story, but not a 60s TV story, more like one of those stories from the early annuals or comics that aren't canon now. Amusingly, the planet is called Karn - before Terrance Dicks reused it for The Brain of Moribus a few years later.

It's less interesting than The Ultimate Adventure, but it's nice that it's been preserved.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BBCSounds/status/1703744864171528631

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Is the first season worth checking out?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Given that Big Finish a) love alternate Doctors and b) have worked with David Banks and c) never saw a gap in the franchise they didn't want to try and explore, it's weird they've never done a story with Banks as his one-off version of the Doctor he did for Ultimate Adventure when Pertwee was ill.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Well, gave Dog Hop a listen from the BF Torchwood range. Andy audio, so it was an easy sale.

I enjoyed it, mostly because I enjoy the character, but ... Is it a two parter? Or was that just...the ending? . Limited spoiler there, but here's a real one for anyone who knows or doesn't care (ending spoiler here) It ends with Andy realizing the entire dog/human mind swap thing is really happening and it was done by the evil Yoga studio next door. That can't be it, can it? But also, why no mention of part II? .

Ok, done. Needed to vent that somewhere and this was a better option than the street corner.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Warthur posted:

Given that Big Finish a) love alternate Doctors and b) have worked with David Banks and c) never saw a gap in the franchise they didn't want to try and explore, it's weird they've never done a story with Banks as his one-off version of the Doctor he did for Ultimate Adventure when Pertwee was ill.

The BBC doesn't like them having new actors as alternative universe Doctors. It's why the Unbound series stopped for so long despite apparently selling really well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McGann posted:

Well, gave Dog Hop a listen from the BF Torchwood range. Andy audio, so it was an easy sale.

I enjoyed it, mostly because I enjoy the character, but ... Is it a two parter? Or was that just...the ending? . Limited spoiler there, but here's a real one for anyone who knows or doesn't care (ending spoiler here) It ends with Andy realizing the entire dog/human mind swap thing is really happening and it was done by the evil Yoga studio next door. That can't be it, can it? But also, why no mention of part II? .

Ok, done. Needed to vent that somewhere and this was a better option than the street corner.

Yeah, I hope it gets a sequel because there's fun places where it can go, and because it's a good story. But for a light comedy, one that's sort of Darrin Morgan-esque in its treatment of the series and its universe, that ending was loving *brutal* holy poo poo.

Nothing's been announced for the next few stories so something could be coming, who knows. But if there's no sequel I'd like to think that Andy tasers the yoga poser and drags her and the dog back next store and fixes things.

Also the extras on that one are very fun, if you haven't checked them out.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

OldMemes posted:

The BBC doesn't like them having new actors as alternative universe Doctors. It's why the Unbound series stopped for so long despite apparently selling really well.
I am genuinely surprised to hear the BBC impose editorial rules on them beyond "don't put implied Ace nudity on the cover like BBV did".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

I am genuinely surprised to hear the BBC impose editorial rules on them beyond "don't put implied Ace nudity on the cover like BBV did".

No cannibalism*, no black magic(!?), no new Doctors other than ones already previously created before the show came back (so Arrabella Weir would be fine).

*not even implying that, say, some biscuits miiiight be made of people.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Is "no cannibalism" a real one?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, they're all real.

Happened in a few plays, including Live 34 and Masterful.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Doctor: And when I say there is "no cannibalism" in the TARDIS, I mean there is a certain amount, more than we Time Lords are prepared to admit. But, all new companions are warned that if they wake up in the morning and find any toothmarks at all anywhere on their bodies, they're to tell me immediately so that I can immediately take every measure to blame it on the Androgums.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nothing's been announced for the next few stories

Spoke too soon:

https://x.com/bigfinish/status/1705235588339712044

These look really good.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently the BBC asked them to change the use of the word 'terrorists' to 'freedom fighters' in Live 34, because they liked the story, but not the optics of the Doctor helping 'terrorists'. And apparently RTD has always had some say and input into the Torchwood range. The BBC said that they weren't allowed to use The Curator, but Steve Moffat gave them the OK.

They did find a loophole for the unbound Doctors by casting Colin Baker as the alternative Doctor in the two part unbound from last year. They can't cast new Doctors, but they can cast existing Doctors as NEW Doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The new Fifth Doctor story, "Pursuit of the Nightjar" was really beautiful. It might be one of Davison's best performances.