Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok the iOS 17 photos addition of identifying breeds of cats & dogs and identifying what food is in a photo is not necessarily super accurate or useful (well the food one is useful if you like to check recipes) but it's pretty fun even if it misidentified my cat Lulu as a wirehair and my cat Rokit as a Bombay. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Warbird posted:

About 5 $/yr less an initial buy in I’d say. :v: Though as mentioned due to the sheer range of bullshit entailed in supporting that many companies/APIs I totally get the need for a sub. That doesn’t make me happy about the fact, but I do understand it.

You know what, I realize in a way that I was lovely for saying "what's the problem with $5/year" because for some people counting every single dollar is really important, so I take back my saying that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You know what, I realize in a way that I was lovely for saying "what's the problem with $5/year" because for some people counting every single dollar is really important, so I take back my saying that.

I wouldn’t go that far. I come from a place where that was very much the situation and only now have gotten to the point where I feel comfortable spending a dollar or whatever for the lowest tier of iCloud storage and so on. My hesitancy is rooted in that but that wasn’t a read I was getting. It’s a bit of a bummer that what was basically “free” from my viewpoint is likely becoming reoccurring fee but there are good reasons for that as well from a dev’s perspective as hashed out already.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ok the iOS 17 photos addition of identifying breeds of cats & dogs and identifying what food is in a photo is not necessarily super accurate or useful (well the food one is useful if you like to check recipes) but it's pretty fun even if it misidentified my cat Lulu as a wirehair and my cat Rokit as a Bombay. :)

The animals thing was in 16

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Now it has the pets being identified in their own photo albums. It is surprisingly good, some of my pets over the years look extremely similar.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It’s identifying my cat as an “American Wirehair” as well. My cat’s not even American lol. I adopted her oversees from a different continent.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The new changes to the upcoming alarm display on the lock screen are much much welcomed.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
if you don't want to pay 5$/mnth for package tracking you can get free text message updates about tracking from UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc by just going to their website and registering your address with your phone #

it doesn't help anything that comes amazon logistics or private courier but i found i didn't need an app after doing that

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

if you don't want to pay 5$/mnth for package tracking you can get free text message updates about tracking from UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc by just going to their website and registering your address with your phone #

It's 41 cents/month.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It has correctly identified my cats as American shorthairs and the puppy as a golden doodle

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

unsure about pet phrenology + how the uk government will use this to automatically destroy anything tagged as "American Bully XL."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

It has correctly identified my cats as American shorthairs and the puppy as a golden doodle

They should just skip the cat id.

Depending on the photo, it says our black cat is a Manx, a Bombay, or a Scottish Fold.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mawarannahr posted:

unsure about pet phrenology + how the uk government will use this to automatically destroy anything tagged as "American Bully XL."

iRodfromGod

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Koala has some new stuff if anyone here is a fern of beep boopin’:

https://youtu.be/2vX6G3v59Bg?si=8SOR_Mw_nD1_iN3_

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Weighing out my choices on getting an iPhone SE to be mostly a banking device. The second thing it would hopefully do is get my music over Bluetooth to my car, but:

Is there a music player app that plays files stored locally on iPhones, as in, my own .mp3s and .flacs? Is that still a thing? I am too much of a dinosaur for streaming and would like to just do it the way I do on my Android devices

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Weighing out my choices on getting an iPhone SE to be mostly a banking device. The second thing it would hopefully do is get my music over Bluetooth to my car, but:

Is there a music player app that plays files stored locally on iPhones, as in, my own .mp3s and .flacs? Is that still a thing? I am too much of a dinosaur for streaming and would like to just do it the way I do on my Android devices

The music app still supports listening to local music, same as it has since iPhones grew out of iPods. For FLAC you’ll want something different though like this https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/flacbox-hi-res-music-player/id1097564256

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

priznat posted:

Now it has the pets being identified in their own photo albums. It is surprisingly good, some of my pets over the years look extremely similar.

It seems to be taking a long time for me- after 2 days I finally have an album for my calico Lulu, but no album for my black cat Rokit or any other past cats that I have a poo poo ton of photos of in my phone.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

The music app still supports listening to local music, same as it has since iPhones grew out of iPods. For FLAC you’ll want something different though like this https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/flacbox-hi-res-music-player/id1097564256

Regarding the FLAC files, another option would be to convert them to ALAC, Apple’s lossless codec which the Music app will play.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Arivia posted:

Cool. Do I still need to install the big ol' iTunes application on PC if I want to push song files onto iOS?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If you’re willing to do a bit a legwork Plex + Plexamp might be worth investigating. It’ll let you stream the hell out of your flac and personal library but you’re going to need a computer hanging around to do it and iirc a Plex pass.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Warbird posted:

If you’re willing to do a bit a legwork Plex + Plexamp might be worth investigating. It’ll let you stream the hell out of your flac and personal library but you’re going to need a computer hanging around to do it and iirc a Plex pass.

Any alternatives other than this to getting .flacs into iTunes libraries? At this point it is not going to be worth my time to convert all of my .flac files to an Apple-compatible lossless format just so that I can move them across a USB-C or Lightning cable - I'd rather go for another Android device if there isn't a braindead easy way

Warbird
May 23, 2012

All my stuff is on my NAS so I would just use the built in file explorer to copy stuff locally over the network and then use a flac friendly player.

If you’re that serious about the audio quality and not wanting to futz about with Apple’s proclivities you can get a dedicated music player from Sony or whoever that will play the hell out of whatever and be bog simple to get stuff on/off of.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cool. Do I still need to install the big ol' iTunes application on PC if I want to push song files onto iOS?

If you look at that application page it offers a ton of ways to get files on and off your iPhone to play in Flacbox. You’ll want to install iTunes for some basic janitoring poo poo possibly, but it’s not necessary for your music.

e: it also supports file sharing over usb-c, which does use the iTunes application on windows but is just drag and drop, doesn’t need you to actually add your music to iTunes. It’ll work like this https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201301

To be clear this doesn’t require conversion. It’s just open the phone file sharing interface in iTunes, drag and drop files or folders from Explorer, open the app on your phone and play in there.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 21, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're willing to spend a little money, the app Waltr lets you drag and drop music onto an iPhone. Works with FLAC, MP3, OGG, and some other stuff and Just Works the way you wish iTunes did.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Arivia posted:

If you look at that application page it offers a ton of ways to get files on and off your iPhone to play in Flacbox. You’ll want to install iTunes for some basic janitoring poo poo possibly, but it’s not necessary for your music.

e: it also supports file sharing over usb-c, which does use the iTunes application on windows but is just drag and drop, doesn’t need you to actually add your music to iTunes. It’ll work like this https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201301

To be clear this doesn’t require conversion. It’s just open the phone file sharing interface in iTunes, drag and drop files or folders from Explorer, open the app on your phone and play in there.

Been trying to test this method all evening on my iPad (iOS 17.0). After the first time I managed to connect successfully to iTunes, it somehow stopped identifying properly on further reconnects, and iTunes couldn't access the iPad again after that.

Not sure what my PC did to obscure the iPad's device ID. I did pull a bunch of images off of the iPad just straight up through Windows Explorer before all of this went wrong.

Edit: Had to uninstall the mobile device listed in my Device Manager. Updates soon
Edit2: Looks like I might not have finished an initial backup when I first plugged into iTunes. i wish it would not do that
Edit3: I can see Flacbox on the File Sharing section of my iPad's info now. Thanks for the tip

Endless Mike posted:

If you're willing to spend a little money, the app Waltr lets you drag and drop music onto an iPhone. Works with FLAC, MP3, OGG, and some other stuff and Just Works the way you wish iTunes did.

Is Files by WALTR the correct app? I'm not seeing a paid version of it, and the only instruction the free app seems to be giving is going through an iOS "Share via" icon that's not entirely obvious in Flacbox.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 21, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Been trying to test this method all evening on my iPad (iOS 17.0). After the first time I managed to connect successfully to iTunes, it somehow stopped identifying properly on further reconnects, and iTunes couldn't access the iPad again after that.

Not sure what my PC did to obscure the iPad's device ID. I did pull a bunch of images off of the iPad just straight up through Windows Explorer before all of this went wrong.

Edit: Had to uninstall the mobile device listed in my Device Manager. Updates soon
Edit2: Looks like I might not have finished an initial backup when I first plugged into iTunes. i wish it would not do that
Edit3: I can see Flacbox on the File Sharing section of my iPad's info now. Thanks for the tip

Is Files by WALTR the correct app? I'm not seeing a paid version of it, and the only instruction the free app seems to be giving is going through an iOS "Share via" icon that's not entirely obvious in Flacbox.

WALTR Pro: https://softorino.com/waltr/

E: I suppose I should have been clear this is a MacOS/Windows app, not iOS.

Violator
May 15, 2003

There are a couple local only FLAC players.

Decoupled
Foobar2000
Doppler Music

I think these are all free, I haven't tried them but they get good reviews.

There's another app that was relatively famous and made a splash when it launched that only did local playback but I can't find it at the moment.

Violator
May 15, 2003

So I guess the new Photo album widget can't use albums if they are in folders. Wonderful.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I was looking forward to iMessage getting emoji reacts like every other chat app and they just made them as stickers you have to go into a menu and tap and drag for. It's hard to use. How come Signal has a better interface than Messages? At least there are search filters, finally.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

mawarannahr posted:

I was looking forward to iMessage getting emoji reacts like every other chat app and they just made them as stickers you have to go into a menu and tap and drag for. It's hard to use. How come Signal has a better interface than Messages? At least there are search filters, finally.

I think this is still coming later:

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/21/ios-17-features-launching-later-this-year/

quote:

React to a message with any sticker through the Tapback menu in the Messages app.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

Violator posted:

There are a couple local only FLAC players.

Decoupled
Foobar2000
Doppler Music

I think these are all free, I haven't tried them but they get good reviews.

There's another app that was relatively famous and made a splash when it launched that only did local playback but I can't find it at the moment.

Doppler is very good and has totally replaced the Music app for me. There’s a free Doppler Transfer app for Mac OS that lets you drag and drop files to transfer them to Doppler on your iPhone over Wi-Fi or USB. It costs somewhere under $10 (if I remember correctly) for a perpetual license.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ah, I wasn't aware. Thanks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are notifications messed up for anyone else? I’m regularly not getting text message notifications as of late. They just show up as app badges and nothing else despite there not being any squashing via focus modes or other settings. Doesn’t even show up on my watch. Doesn’t seem to be everything though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What app will let me pick tv shows I watch and then give me a custom calendar I can subscribe to to see airtimes?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

What app will let me pick tv shows I watch and then give me a custom calendar I can subscribe to to see airtimes?

Trakt has some great widgets.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TV Club is one, I kinda faded out from using these things these days (I used the pogdesign.co.uk/cat for about a decade) and just track everything with Plex.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

TV Club is one, I kinda faded out from using these things these days (I used the pogdesign.co.uk/cat for about a decade) and just track everything with Plex.

I run PlexTraktSync and it keeps all my Plex watch history linked up with Trakt and their upcoming schedule stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember looking into that, but can’t remember why I didn’t install. I’ll have to check again, as it’s always useful to have a backup and I use Trakt anyway with my list stuff for sonarr/radarr. I have the old trakt plugin installed that spirals out of control sometimes and eats up a bunch of cpu but refuses to uninstall via regular methods, and I know if you get pro Trakt it’ll do native syncing via the webhooks. The only mention of webhooks I’ve ever seen!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Are there SA emoticon stickers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

There’s an Awful.app keyboard you can use. It’s not ideal but it’s available.