Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Limiting Star Wars to just one galaxy is good because it makes a kind of inherent sense for narrative function. A galaxy (at least the Milky Way or the Star Wars one anyway) is just a big circle. It allows for a very convenient kind of narrative shorthand where you can use geography to tell the audience about a place without exposition. Which makes it real easy for the audience to intuitively understand things like: understanding where places are located in relation to each other by having a central reference point of “The Core” at the center of the circle. Or how people instinctively know that the “center” of things will be rich and urban while the “edge” will be poor and rural. Plus it gives a good fantasy map “Here be Dragons” spot for things outside the circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

galagazombie posted:

Limiting Star Wars to just one galaxy is good because it makes a kind of inherent sense for narrative function. A galaxy (at least the Milky Way or the Star Wars one anyway) is just a big circle. It allows for a very convenient kind of narrative shorthand where you can use geography to tell the audience about a place without exposition. Which makes it real easy for the audience to intuitively understand things like: understanding where places are located in relation to each other by having a central reference point of “The Core” at the center of the circle. Or how people instinctively know that the “center” of things will be rich and urban while the “edge” will be poor and rural. Plus it gives a good fantasy map “Here be Dragons” spot for things outside the circle.

Also, it's a whole galaxy, what more does a civilization need? At least in the Milky Way, habitable worlds are in kinda short supply as far we can tell, but in that one there's enough to go around. Besides, Star Wars is only concerned with 15 people and their dynasties.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

far more people have wondered how chewbacca goes to the bathroom than where some scene takes place with regard to the physical location of other parts of the star wars universe

insane clown pussy has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Sep 22, 2023

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

you're talking about a series of movies where an old lady flies through the vaccum of space like mary poppins after a ship explodes

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Durf posted:

not only that, the men are treated as simple muscle/fodder and are ruled over my the matriarchal witch caste!!!!

tbh when they went to the other galaxy i thought we were going into Yuuzhan Vong expanded universe territory

also Amos from The Expanse is playing cool stylized stormtrooper du jour

my crush on amos is not powerful enough to compel me to watch star war

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Durf posted:

not only that, the men are treated as simple muscle/fodder and are ruled over my the matriarchal witch caste!!!!

tbh when they went to the other galaxy i thought we were going into Yuuzhan Vong expanded universe territory

also Amos from The Expanse is playing cool stylized stormtrooper du jour

Ahh yeah that’s the stuff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nichael posted:

my crush on amos is not powerful enough to compel me to watch star war

same

insane clown pussy posted:

you're talking about a series of movies where an old lady flies through the vaccum of space like mary poppins after a ship explodes
this was straight up a thousand times worse than the jew flying-bug vendor or the jive talking floppy dino guy.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Cael posted:

if I never finished main Bosch and am too lazy to find where I stopped, can I start Bosch legacy without missing much?

yes, the new show has a different tone and premise from the first series

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

why do stormtroopers have gold faceplates now wtf

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Popy posted:

decadence from colony wealth extraction

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The sequels have a lot of people clearly trying really hard, especially the actors, and it's a pity the producers and directors hosed it all up.

They hosed up now??

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Popy posted:

He's gonna be the new cool elite stormtrooper that you expect to do something cool, but then he slips on something and falls into a reactor core.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

insane clown pussy posted:

far more people have wondered how chewbacca goes to the bathroom than where some scene takes place with regard to the physical location of other parts of the star wars universe

that's a good point, i just sort of assume he has poo poo stuck to his fur

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Popy posted:

So you can have a new figurine or funko pop and differentiate yourself based on your preferred character, like Kingo Organa Madrigál.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Not My Stormtroopers

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Mantis42 posted:

that's a good point, i just sort of assume he has poo poo stuck to his fur

why do you think he decided to make his home on endor

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

they have gold face plates now??

92223_3
Sep 22, 2023

*whistful* to live in a world where everyone has experience ego-death

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Seinfeld is a pretty funny sitcom. Holds up very well.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

92223_3 posted:

*whistful* to live in a world where everyone has experience ego-death

quote:

acute intoxication due to combined effects of methamphetamine, cocaine, fentanyl and benzodiazepines
uhhh drat

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no alcohol smh

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

California Sober

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I've been thinking about Alien Nation, a movie/show I haven't seen since I was a wee teenager. Anyone watched it lately? How's it hold up?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

stormtroopers discovering MOLON LABE culture

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

putting trucknuts on my tie fighter

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

watched DON'T LOOK NOW for the first time last night

sex scene

0/10

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Organic Lube User posted:

I've been thinking about Alien Nation, a movie/show I haven't seen since I was a wee teenager. Anyone watched it lately? How's it hold up?

this is me, except the 80s War of the Worlds show (there's a new ongoing series too but I haven't seen it)

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

sex scene

0/10

agreed

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Fleetwood posted:

this is me, except the 80s War of the Worlds show (there's a new ongoing series too but I haven't seen it)

oh wow i've seen that. the advocacy were so creepy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

sex scene

0/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07x3W3F9e44

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Organic Lube User posted:

I don't know but I completely obliterated this show from my mind until this post. my parents were adamant that I wasn't allowed to watch it when it was new on tv.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I don't know but I completely obliterated this show from my mind until this post. my parents were adamant that I wasn't allowed to watch it when it was new on tv.

why

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't know! that's why im gonna pirate the hell out of it in 2023 and really deep dive my dad's overt and latent xenophobia.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The only things that scared me as a young child was Poltergeist 2 and that Alien show, it terrified me when I was ~5.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its a thinly veiled metaphor on race relations, including interspecies dating

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

The only things that scared me as a young child was Poltergeist 2 and that Alien show, it terrified me when I was ~5.

I had an uncle let me watch Aliens when I was six and it hosed my sleep up for years.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEGNbYVwVEk

Lol wtf the mythbusters lady did an ad for shell.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Leslie Jones is opening up about the true cost of starring in 2016’s “Ghostbusters.”

The “SNL” alum revealed in memoir “Leslie F*cking Jones” (as excerpted by Rolling Stone) that while she endured racist backlash, she also made “way less” than her co-stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, and Kate McKinnon. The female-led take on the supernatural ’80s classic was directed by Paul Feig.

“It was made clear to me at times during the process that I was lucky to even be on that movie, but honestly, I was thinking, ‘I don’t have to be in this muthafucka,’ especially as I got paid way less than Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig,” Jones wrote. “No knock on them, but my first offer was to do that movie for $67,000. I had to fight to get more (in the end I got $150K), but the message was clear: ‘This is gonna blow you up — after this, you’re made for life,’ all that kind of poo poo, as though I hadn’t had decades of a successful career already.”

She added, “And in the end, all it made for me was heartache and one big-rear end controversy.”

Jones had to delete her Twitter account for 24 hours at the time of the film’s release as she was receiving heinous messages and there were “multiple attempts to hack” her page. The then-CEO of Twitter, Jack Dorsey, personally tweeted Jones to DM him so that they could work together to protect her account. Jones wrote that Dorsey “was aware that I was being brutally attacked with racial slurs and worse” and “put people on my account to monitor it because someone is always trying to hack me.”

For the trolls, Jones wrote, “I’d tried to fight back — I was a comic — I was used to someone heckling me, so for every piece of bullshit on Twitter I had a reply…I can’t believe anyone would do this poo poo to someone, anyone, for working. This is awful. I am in a movie. Death threats for something as small as that?”

Jones further reflected on starring in a franchise reboot after original “Ghostbusters” director Ivan Reitman’s son and fellow filmmaker Jason Reitman said on a podcast that his 2021 reboot “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” was “trying to go back to the original technique and hand the movie back to the fans.” Jones called Reitman’s statement “unforgivable” and a dig at the 2016 movie.

“The damage was done,” Jones said, despite Reitman’s later clarification. “Bringing up the idea of giving the movie ‘back to the fans’ was a pretty clear shout-out to all those losers who went after us for making an all-female film.”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

for context melissa mccarthy was paid fourteen million to appear in ghostbusters

cant help but shake the feeling that one of the benefits of that whole extremely stupid controversy is that it helped distract leslie jones from the fact that she was getting big league ripped off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

67,000 goddamn