Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

mooshiga posted:

it’s a trash fire. me and one of the hall monitors are the only staff out of ~250 who still mask. staff are quitting mid-year, staff are sick, kids are sick, kids aren’t engaged because they know most of what they’re supposed to be doing isn’t gonna matter in ten years. and like…….we already did this too. everybody already got sick. everybody already quit. it’s exactly the same as it was last year. and now this is just gonna be how every year is. living the dream! 👍

if you don't mind me asking, roughly how long have you been teaching? and did any of these things (mid-year staff quits) happen before, but just at like a fraction of the frequency?

anyway yeah sounds miserable and i feel for you / all teachers in this hell country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like every education "miracle" on the small scale I've ever seen has later proved to be outright cheating and every large scale one has been administrative number fudging.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

making GBS threads FUCKBALLS. The ACIP meeting today isn't for Novavax, it's for some loving RSV vaccine https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/agenda-archive/agenda-2023-09-22-508.pdf

I guess I'll just loving get Moderna :argh:

God damnit!!

edit: I'll wait another week before I cave for Moderna

Fansy has issued a correction as of 19:10 on Sep 22, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Science-based information has been and continues to be the Biden-Harris Administration’s North Star,

So incredibly distant, only dimly visible to the average American for part of the day, easily ignored and of obscure significance to most who even notice it?

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Actually ACIP is CDC so I'm not sure why so many people in this thread thought that today's meeting would be for that - it's FDA we're waiting on for Novavax, isn't it? And that would be VRBPAC?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Actually ACIP is CDC so I'm not sure why so many people in this thread thought that today's meeting would be for that - it's FDA we're waiting on for Novavax, isn't it? And that would be VRBPAC?

not much whats VRBPAC with you?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

quote:

“If you’re dying of Covid today, you didn’t take precautions,” Becerra said during a POLITICO health summit in June, taking an oblique shot at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other prominent Republicans who have advanced anti-vaccine theories. “If you listened to someone who said you didn’t have to take that precaution, it’s not just your fault, it’s the fault of that leader who doesn’t give you the best information. If leaders choose not to take care of their people, that’s on them.”

lol, lmao

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

imagine youre six and you're told to "just go home" and both of your parents are at work until at least 5 pm.

at 6? I probably would have just cried. later on i think i'd have enjoyed all the cartoons I didn't normally get to watch.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
you only die if you arent healthy :smuggo:

we did all we can ;)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

bedpan posted:

not much whats VRBPAC with you?

gesundheit

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mags posted:

lol, lmao

they're such unbelievable pieces of poo poo

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In addition to the problems of repeated covid infections and chronic teacher shortages, so many American schools are hosed by chronic underfunding. Plus decades of curricula that were written by the lowest bidder, regardless of whether they actually work at teaching things. I've read about children with disabilities being told the school doesn't have the money to give them help, so they're given an IEP that says they'll thrive without any additional help. Teachers are expected to buy their own paper, and if they can't, they go without. Florida is hiring teachers with no qualifications at all, since they can't find anyone with a college degree who wants to teach for $30,000 a year.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
the novavax vaccine is getting decided on today, right? any news on that?

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

shazbot posted:

making GBS threads FUCKBALLS. The ACIP meeting today isn't for Novavax, it's for some loving RSV vaccine https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/agenda-archive/agenda-2023-09-22-508.pdf

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

shazbot posted:

No, maybe in a few weeks, can I interest you in maybe some RSV vaccine instead?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

not sure about hte process but novavax presented XBB vax to the FDA in June and got voted through, can't say what the fuckin holdup is at this point

according to their press release they're "waiting on the FDA". lmao soooo just into the bureaucratic rathole

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Sep 22, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

not sure about hte process but novavax presented XBB vax to the FDA in June and got voted through, can't say what the fuckin holdup is at this point

Money. If they'll approve Novavax now, then that will only dilute the customer pool as some folks will get Novavax and Pfizer/Moderna will miss out on those customers $. Better to let them reap the most customers first and just let have Novavax get the scraps later on

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
GIMME CRUEL GIMME DIRE GIMME TITER I REQUIRE, OOH

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

Money. If they'll approve Novavax now, then that will only dilute the customer pool as some folks will get Novavax and Pfizer/Moderna will miss out on those customers $. Better to let them reap the most customers first and just let have Novavax get the scraps later on

well yeah this is the real answer, I'm trying to suss out the Fig Leaf answer!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
lol the one positive of all my mRNA booster appointments getting canceled was that I would be able to get novavax and now lmao

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Ham Cheeks posted:

GIMME CRUEL GIMME DIRE GIMME TITER I REQUIRE, OOH

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

mooshiga posted:

it’s a trash fire. me and one of the hall monitors are the only staff out of ~250 who still mask. staff are quitting mid-year, staff are sick, kids are sick, kids aren’t engaged because they know most of what they’re supposed to be doing isn’t gonna matter in ten years. and like…….we already did this too. everybody already got sick. everybody already quit. it’s exactly the same as it was last year. and now this is just gonna be how every year is. living the dream! 👍

School was pretty bad when I was a kid, but I can't imagine what it's like now. We at least had classes that reliably had teachers in them, sometimes very good ones, and buses that would reliably take us to where the classes were. I don't understand how a kid in this situation is supposed to look around and think "yep, everyone is clearly taking this very seriously and I should too."

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

tangy yet delightful posted:

No, maybe in a few weeks, can I interest you in maybe some RSV vaccine instead?

dang. what a country

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1705227351011795141

Weeks?!? loving lmao

I wonder if the government has their thumb on the scale for their preferred pharmaceutical companies?

https://twitter.com/SecBecerra/status/1704601331854451170

Naaaah couldn't be

ahahahahaha

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chamale posted:

The lockdowns were one of the greatest public health successes of the 21st century, saving millions of lives. But no politician will say this because it'll kill their re-election chances. The policies surrounding the lockdowns were also one of the largest upward wealth transfers in history. The inability to talk frankly about this is creating a vacuum that's being filled by the belief that covid wasn't a big deal, and that it was going to go away on its own if we hadn't reacted to it.

:hai:

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jon Irenicus posted:

Covid is fully back - 15 teachers out without subs in my building alone

smaller sample size but practice last night, one coach who i hadn't seen for a week and change is back (was out with covid) and says he's struggling with fatigue and borderline narcolepsy now, another said he's unusually fatigued but tested negative, so 2/4 coaches present dealing with covid/mystery affliction issues

i've mostly given up on asking the kids how school is going even though it used to be a good way to connect with them because the feedback is dire

anyway i hope all you denizens of this extremely irrelevant thread are hanging in there ✊:smith::unsmith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

anecdotal but chronic absenteeism is down this year but maybe because our district did a big onboarding push for the freshman this year who were our biggest problem cohort for it. now we have to deal with the "selective absenteeism" aka in the building but not showing up to class cause you can just hide amongst the canceled classes lol. good luck everyone that'll be easy to fix

lol

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
[Pestilence] “They keep just hoping it’ll go away.”

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

No idea how long the filters last, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it: the form factor with a single 20x20x4 filter is way better than the cube, with the same amount of surface area as 4x 20x20x1. And if you do MERV 13 + Carbon, it is way more effective at de-stanking your home or workplace, if you have any cologne addicts or weed elementals around

It's not any real smell, at this point it's the particulate that comes after the initial fire etc which has more dangerous materials in it. We are a tattoo shop so no weed or cologne going on, thankfully. Are you describing some kind of 'pancake' style design?

Anyway, it's built, seems to be working well.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's not any real smell, at this point it's the particulate that comes after the initial fire etc which has more dangerous materials in it. We are a tattoo shop so no weed or cologne going on, thankfully. Are you describing some kind of 'pancake' style design?

Anyway, it's built, seems to be working well.

i think they're describing taking a super thicccc MERV13 filter -- such as one of these guys here -- and just taping that directly to the back side of a 20"x20" box fan. so like two pieces total, one fan, one 4" filter

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Actually got the vaccine at a CVS today. Called me a few hours beforehand and said that if I didn't have insurance it would be $190, but after I mentioned the Bridge Access Program they put me on hold for a minute and said that it would be free. Government programs ftw.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ah poo poo I think I got got. my first time.

amazing I lasted this long.

I've had sore throat and now it's trying to climb up into upper respiratory but I am valiantly smoking weed about it

water and rest, yeah?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
so where is the $190 coming from? retail cost is ~$120. is CVS throwing $60 overhead on a 10 minute shot?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mdemone posted:

water and rest, yeah?

pax lo vid , any of the telehealth options in the OP has been pretty friendly to me and my family in our state

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Soap Scum posted:

i think they're describing taking a super thicccc MERV13 filter -- such as one of these guys here -- and just taping that directly to the back side of a 20"x20" box fan. so like two pieces total, one fan, one 4" filter

I used nordic, but otherwise yeah. I originally made a full sized cube for travel and wildfire, but the cubes are really annoying to transport, store, and deploy. They can hardly fit through a doorway. I could barely fit one in my sedan, and that took some tetrising. Mark 2 takes 1/3 of the volume. And the carbon filter works great when you can't turn on the bathroom fan because the air outside is poison.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

so where is the $190 coming from? retail cost is ~$120. is CVS throwing $60 overhead on a 10 minute shot?

I am gonna guess it is the pre-discount price offered to insurance, but without the discount (at least it is my understanding that is why consumer prices in US healthcare can be arbitrarily high).

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

mdemone posted:

ah poo poo I think I got got. my first time.

amazing I lasted this long.

I've had sore throat and now it's trying to climb up into upper respiratory but I am valiantly smoking weed about it

water and rest, yeah?

and pax

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I used nordic, but otherwise yeah. I originally made a full sized cube for travel and wildfire, but the cubes are really annoying to transport, store, and deploy. They can hardly fit through a doorway. I could barely fit one in my sedan, and that took some tetrising. Mark 2 takes 1/3 of the volume. And the carbon filter works great when you can't turn on the bathroom fan because the air outside is poison.

yeah, some good innovation right there. i suspect it's probably not quite as powerful with a given fan as a 4-filter arrangement, but also the filter you can actually use is infinity% better than the one you can't use, so rock on and who cares about the 10% difference in power if you couldn't fit the other anyway.

the place i just moved to is larger total than my old place but each individual room is smaller, so my old massive corsi cubes went from being an afterthought to a pretty large imposition. i might give this a try though, way smaller footprint and feels more manageable

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Well that sucks, sorry for repeating something wrong to all the hopeful out there :(

There doesn't appear to be any date at all, best I can find is The European Medicines Agency have a meeting Oct. 9 to 12 after which they should have an outcome on Novavax. According to Reuters:
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/europe-expects-decide-novavaxs-covid-vaccine-october-2023-09-21/

I can imagine the FDA would make a decision around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote posted:

Spouse's great uncle got COVID from the PT who was supposed to help him recover from a heart attack. Thanks frontline healthcare worker!

Well that was fast, now he has viral and bacterial pneumonia. P sure he's toast.