Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

i wish it were possible to buy chaos knight war dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Geisladisk posted:

Has there been a single solitary version of Warhammer 40k where massed dudes with bolters was good in any way?

I don’t think there was ever a time that bolters were the best weapon available to Marines, and now that they don’t have to take them - they don’t.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

coelomate posted:

yeah like possible at all for this entire year, just once, would have been super nice!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am interested in starting a custodes army, what should I buy to get to 2000pts without wasting money? Thinking of buying from ebay cause my LGS doesn't do discounts it does "you get points"

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Well, my ribbon cherubs have a bit of a lean to them but otherwise it turned out good :v:

This one was so much harder than all the others! I might try to free the top cherub and reset it because it sort of looks like he's falling :sigh: but hey, you learn from every mistake

When I was fitting the assembly dry it seemed like it was fine, but for whatever reason when I took a second look I must've shifted it during gluing

Still, the rest of it looks cool at least.. I think I might snip the last cherub that's hanging off and use green stuff to hide that little bit of wing. The guy with the big ribbon looks fine otherwise

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 22, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want that but I think that's a mini I would only paint in sub assembly

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I believe someone posted here about not putting on the front part of the Ballistus dread to achieve a look like this https://ironsleet.com/2017/08/26/anax-the-venerated-dreadnought-20th-legion-astartes/

hell they might have even posted that exact URL here, but a quick thread search of ironsleet didn't pull it up. Anyway does anyone know of a tutorial, even one as simple as where the cuts were made on the front plate piece (which is also connected to the left and right front armor plates - which are on the model linked)? I could guess at it but if a guide exists I'd rather not guess.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want that but I think that's a mini I would only paint in sub assembly
That will be fun2paint as one assembly though :suicide:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

tangy yet delightful posted:

I believe someone posted here about not putting on the front part of the Ballistus dread to achieve a look like this https://ironsleet.com/2017/08/26/anax-the-venerated-dreadnought-20th-legion-astartes/

hell they might have even posted that exact URL here, but a quick thread search of ironsleet didn't pull it up. Anyway does anyone know of a tutorial, even one as simple as where the cuts were made on the front plate piece (which is also connected to the left and right front armor plates - which are on the model linked)? I could guess at it but if a guide exists I'd rather not guess.

The Redemptor can have the front left off, you wouldn't be able to with the Ballistus. Maybe once it gets a multipart kit.

Does anyone know if you can do something similar with the Brutalis dread?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

You can't do it with the Ballistus, yet. The Redemptor and Brutalis you can just not install the sarcophagus cover. Ballistus is still the basic Leviathan model, and it's all one piece.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

*me drinking a whiskey right now*

well I'm gonna do it anyway

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Well, my ribbon cherubs have a bit of a lean to them but otherwise it turned out good :v:

This one was so much harder than all the others! I might try to free the top cherub and reset it because it sort of looks like he's falling :sigh: but hey, you learn from every mistake

When I was fitting the assembly dry it seemed like it was fine, but for whatever reason when I took a second look I must've shifted it during gluing

Still, the rest of it looks cool at least.. I think I might snip the last cherub that's hanging off and use green stuff to hide that little bit of wing. The guy with the big ribbon looks fine otherwise

I hate to be the one who points this out but a lot of people paint the sisters on the triumph seperately for ease of access and then glue them on.

A smaller, more dedicated group of people will magnetize the feet of the sisters and the floor of the Triumph so when they're not playing the Triumph they can use the sisters individually as kick rear end character alternatives.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I am interested in starting a custodes army, what should I buy to get to 2000pts without wasting money? Thinking of buying from ebay cause my LGS doesn't do discounts it does "you get points"

All their box sets are great, including the combat patrol. I think you can buy two pretty handily?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Some custodian players are telling me no one will ever want 20 sisters and bikes aren't great right now so to skip getting two combat patrols

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Has there been a single solitary version of Warhammer 40k where massed dudes with bolters was good in any way?

a straight bolter is a solid weapon in KT 2e and both versions of necromunda

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm in the process of finishing painting my gallowdark terrain (after roping in friends and loved ones to help) so I can play Kill Team and Boarding Action at home (sad they didn't turn the latter into a better supported Thing but GW will GW).

Part of this was assembling two (technically can be four) new Kill Teams: Project Freelancer (from Red vs Blue) style Phobos Strike Team, and an Inquisitorial Kill Team supported by Kasrkin (to be painted as Inquisitorial Stormtroopers) and Imperial Navy Breachers.

For previous Kill Teams (Deathwatch, and the Necron one) I used the Midwinter Mini guide to making industrial bases out of rubbish making my own with some mosquito netting, cable ties, and cereal box cardboard. I reflected on how long each of those bases took to make and decided I'm just going to spend money to do these faster. Th

e Phobos Strike team I ended up just buying the 32mm Necromunda bases as they are actually relatively cheap. For the other teams though they were awkward because they either were 28mm bases (Kasrkin) or a weird mixed number (Agents are 6 x 25mm and 1x 32mm, Breachers are 10 x 25mm and 1 x 28mm). So I had a look and the early Gallowdark KTs (breachers, kasrkin etc) just have bases where they have filed down the texture on the base, and used a razor saw to cut a slice into the base to imitate deck panelling, then sprayed on some grey lines. So I got to work with my file and I'm going that for them.

After I'm done with my KT project, next step is to stop being lazy and actually try to set up my foldable 40K table because I think it's tall enough that it can go over my dining table, in which case I can start playing 40K in my dining room.

Still not convinced rejoining the competitive league I've been playing in will be fun yet. Grey Knights are doing better so I could always rejoin and use them, but I'll need to make a bunch of terminators with flags and medical kits I think. CSM seems to be performing well but not with the lists I can build and would want to build with my Word Bearers. Guard still seems pretty lack luster and the only lists that work are basically tank companies.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 22, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I need to buy some mosquito netting as well for basing, found a nice and easy tutorial for a space hulk base that I'm doing to do for a friends Kroot tracker.
The only annoyance is that I'm going to end up buying too much of it, since I only need it for one model.
Or one model so far I suppose.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

9th was probably the best edition for ‘lots of guys with bolters’ because they could at least try to swamp things with volume of fire and would probably be good for contesting objectives. It would be even worse in older editions where certain vehicles and monsters would be completely immune to Str4 weapons.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
"Lots of guys with Bolters" being code for Dire Avengers with Hail of Doom.

But even then people would complain because they should never model the sword in the Exarch.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

I hate to be the one who points this out but a lot of people paint the sisters on the triumph seperately for ease of access and then glue them on.

A smaller, more dedicated group of people will magnetize the feet of the sisters and the floor of the Triumph so when they're not playing the Triumph they can use the sisters individually as kick rear end character alternatives.

Don't worry, you're the second person :v:

And yeah that would've probably been a good idea. It's funny because I specifically didn't glue the sister into the top of the exorcist for the same reason, but it just didn't occur to me yesterday at all. I don't really think there's a way to get them off now though. Wiggling them this morning the glue cured pretty good, so I guess I'll just have to live with the mistake and put it in the ole "experience" bucket

The magnetization idea is really cool though, because dang if the sisters on there aren't really cool yeah

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah. In 30k. :getin:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

coelomate posted:

I think someone heard you and then GW decided to pour salt into those wounds;
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/22/bear-witness-to-these-monstrously-corrupted-knights-of-house-makabius/

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That Knight with the Noctilith Crown on its back is some really inspiring stuff.

Frank LastnameRedacted from the Warhammer Social Team probably has a really cool Instagram account that I'd love to peruse if they'd ever let him promote it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Can't let you do that Starfox, what if you find them more important than the warhammer brand?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Some custodian players are telling me no one will ever want 20 sisters and bikes aren't great right now so to skip getting two combat patrols

I want 20 Silent Sisters but that's because I want to run an army of just them one day.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want 20 Silent Sisters but that's because I want to run an army of just them one day.

I say this as a man with 33 painted sisters and 17 partially painted ones, plus two painted Kharons, Jenetia Krole and a converted Knight Abyssal:

Don’t. It is the path of pain.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

that's correct for the moment, though there is always possibility things could change with point shifts and/or the codex (balance patch definitely upended the existing balance)

sisters don't really do damage/take damage/interact favorably with units other people take so you generally just want to run 40 point minimum size units of prosecutors for action/mission stuff, and there's an upper limit on how much of that you want/need vs. units that actually do things

and, while they've been good in the past, the bikes are currently just tinier units of custodian guard with a 12" movement range, which is ok in the abstract but not when you're paying a ~60% premium, they're just an inefficient use of points

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Kitchner posted:

I'm in the process of finishing painting my gallowdark terrain (after roping in friends and loved ones to help) so I can play Kill Team and Boarding Action at home (sad they didn't turn the latter into a better supported Thing but GW will GW).

Part of this was assembling two (technically can be four) new Kill Teams: Project Freelancer (from Red vs Blue) style Phobos Strike Team, and an Inquisitorial Kill Team supported by Kasrkin (to be painted as Inquisitorial Stormtroopers) and Imperial Navy Breachers.

For previous Kill Teams (Deathwatch, and the Necron one) I used the Midwinter Mini guide to making industrial bases out of rubbish making my own with some mosquito netting, cable ties, and cereal box cardboard. I reflected on how long each of those bases took to make and decided I'm just going to spend money to do these faster. Th

e Phobos Strike team I ended up just buying the 32mm Necromunda bases as they are actually relatively cheap. For the other teams though they were awkward because they either were 28mm bases (Kasrkin) or a weird mixed number (Agents are 6 x 25mm and 1x 32mm, Breachers are 10 x 25mm and 1 x 28mm). So I had a look and the early Gallowdark KTs (breachers, kasrkin etc) just have bases where they have filed down the texture on the base, and used a razor saw to cut a slice into the base to imitate deck panelling, then sprayed on some grey lines. So I got to work with my file and I'm going that for them.

After I'm done with my KT project, next step is to stop being lazy and actually try to set up my foldable 40K table because I think it's tall enough that it can go over my dining table, in which case I can start playing 40K in my dining room.

Still not convinced rejoining the competitive league I've been playing in will be fun yet. Grey Knights are doing better so I could always rejoin and use them, but I'll need to make a bunch of terminators with flags and medical kits I think. CSM seems to be performing well but not with the lists I can build and would want to build with my Word Bearers. Guard still seems pretty lack luster and the only lists that work are basically tank companies.

What would you want to build with your word bearers? CSM have it pretty sweet right now with internal codex balance. really the only things that aren’t great are legionaries, spawn, and maulerfiends. everything else is arguable. venomcrawlers and helbrutes aren’t popular but they’re fine, you can run abaddon or no abaddon. I’ve been having a blast with a thematic force with 101 cultists and a Noctilith Crown, people have won GTs with no Abby and two land raiders, a balanced force is really good or you can go with a castle.

havocs are outshined by predators but still not a bad option. you really can run anything and be fine in csm, if you’ve got a bunch of legionaries you desperately want to run then just run em as Chosen and you’ve got a meta build.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Predators and Vindicators are good in CSM now everyone should take this advantage of this moment and build some kick rear end Deimos models from 30k and run over everyone with tanks until they get shelved for another 10 years

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

What would you want to build with your word bearers? CSM have it pretty sweet right now with internal codex balance. really the only things that aren’t great are legionaries, spawn, and maulerfiends. everything else is arguable. venomcrawlers and helbrutes aren’t popular but they’re fine, you can run abaddon or no abaddon. I’ve been having a blast with a thematic force with 101 cultists and a Noctilith Crown, people have won GTs with no Abby and two land raiders, a balanced force is really good or you can go with a castle.

havocs are outshined by predators but still not a bad option. you really can run anything and be fine in csm, if you’ve got a bunch of legionaries you desperately want to run then just run em as Chosen and you’ve got a meta build.

Possessed and cultists backed up by other "stuff". Would like to run a dark Apostle but they just don't seem that great.

I do actually have 10 chosen, Havocs and Terminators which all seem decent choices, so maybe I can make a semi competitive list with them. I also do actually own Abbadon which is fine.

I own a forgefiend but they just got nerfed. The bit I'd probably take which I don't have is a chaos land raider.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

What would you want to build with your word bearers? CSM have it pretty sweet right now with internal codex balance. really the only things that aren’t great are legionaries, spawn, and maulerfiends. everything else is arguable. venomcrawlers and helbrutes aren’t popular but they’re fine, you can run abaddon or no abaddon.

VCs have consistently disappointed me every time I've taken them out. Maybe I'm using them wrong but the -1 AP is such a liability when a pred D is right there and punches significantly harder.

Kitchner posted:

Possessed and cultists backed up by other "stuff". Would like to run a dark Apostle but they just don't seem that great.

I do actually have 10 chosen, Havocs and Terminators which all seem decent choices, so maybe I can make a semi competitive list with them. I also do actually own Abbadon which is fine.

I own a forgefiend but they just got nerfed. The bit I'd probably take which I don't have is a chaos land raider.

FFs are still very good. Nothing likes lining up in front of a Forgefiend. Chosen and Possessed are staples atm as well. Chosen can work very well out of a Rhino: deploy the Rhino on the line, have the Chosen disembark T1 3" away, move-advance-charge. A Chaos Lord makes a great leader for those. Possessed like an MOP, especially in a 10 brick, but they're never bad.

Terms and Havoks are okay, but likely the first units you'd want to replace. Terms do work but cost a million points, Havoks are just ridiculously overpriced compared to any similar alternative, on top of being inflexible and squishy.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 22, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

LGD posted:

that's correct for the moment, though there is always possibility things could change with point shifts and/or the codex (balance patch definitely upended the existing balance)

sisters don't really do damage/take damage/interact favorably with units other people take so you generally just want to run 40 point minimum size units of prosecutors for action/mission stuff, and there's an upper limit on how much of that you want/need vs. units that actually do things

and, while they've been good in the past, the bikes are currently just tinier units of custodian guard with a 12" movement range, which is ok in the abstract but not when you're paying a ~60% premium, they're just an inefficient use of points

My kokoro wish is that when they get a new book, sisters get all their 30k units, and we get them all in plastic

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cease to Hope posted:

VCs have consistently disappointed me every time I've taken them out. Maybe I'm using them wrong but the -1 AP is such a liability when a pred D is right there and punches significantly harder.

FFs are still very good. Nothing likes lining up in front of a Forgefiend. Chosen and Possessed are staples atm as well. Chosen can work very well out of a Rhino: deploy the Rhino on the line, have the Chosen disembark T1 3" away, move-advance-charge. A Chaos Lord makes a great leader for those. Possessed like an MOP, especially in a 10 brick, but they're never bad.

Terms and Havoks are okay, but likely the first units you'd want to replace. Terms do work but cost a million points, Havoks are just ridiculously overpriced compared to any similar alternative, on top of being inflexible and squishy.

Might just have to look up some recent tournament lists that have done well and see what the common themes are. I have quite a lot of options it's probably just not the stuff I think is really thematic. I got so many accursed cultists for 9th edition though.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 23, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

*me drinking a whiskey right now*

well I'm gonna do it anyway

Looked at this in detail today and what I thought might only require intricate cutting to work seems like it would also require sculpting work to fill in some missing detail on top of the intricate cutting work, so I decided to just assemble as is. Oh well.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

1k(ish) points of sisters all assembled :toot:

I learned a ton, and it's amazing how much faster I can do it today as opposed to last Saturday when I built my first battle sisters!

Gonna take it to the store and play a casual game tomorrow, and then start priming and stuff so I can do my first paintings

Edit: I guess I gotta get up to 2k to actually attend any events right? Seems like 2k is sort of the default

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 23, 2023

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Are there any rules of thumb about how many units you should have in a 2000 point list? Or does it vary too much between factions? (for the sake of argument exclude monster mash / knights lists).

Also how many points in characters that lead units is too much?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Kitchner posted:

Might just have to look up some recent tournament lists that have done well and see what the common themes are. I have quite a lot of options it's probably just not the stuff I think is really thematic. I got so many accursed cultists for 9th edition though.

Accursed cultists are really good especially if you pair them with a dark commune. Theyre substantially better than they were in 9th. The wound allocation rules mean you can throw 3 damage shots into the 1 wound models and vice versa for a unit that is annoying if not quite outright difficult to remove.

I do agree it would be nice if dark apostles were better. Mine is in the meditation chamber this edition. It’s not that they’re horrible, they’re actually not bad but there are other, undercosted options that are better and the unit size makes transports very awkward. a dark apostle on slaanesh chosen would really slap if you could fit the unit into a rhino. im running a red and silver abaddon in my lists and pretending he’s my Coryphaus.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Somebody got a nice version of that color template image file for Space Marines? The one I found is trash quality. And if there are like files for Guardsmen (Cadian or DKoK) that'd be cool.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Somebody got a nice version of that color template image file for Space Marines? The one I found is trash quality. And if there are like files for Guardsmen (Cadian or DKoK) that'd be cool.

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.deviantart.com/djnnayt/art/All-Loyalists-Space-Marine-Chapters-425805126

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

...the Raptors are a White Scars chapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Stephenls posted:

...the Raptors are a White Scars chapter?

They're Raven Guard.

EDIT: Just looked at the picture and, yeah, Raptors are definitely in the wrong category. It's not even like a mystery or unclear origins. They're Raven Guard.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 23, 2023