Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1705234960037138647#m

"Ty zh mene pidmanula" plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Looks like Tucker is getting his own show on Russia 24.

https://x.com/francis_scarr/status/1705157558590169494?s=20

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Looks like Tucker is getting his own show on Russia 24.

https://x.com/francis_scarr/status/1705157558590169494?s=20

Alex Jones might be next. Solovyov is a big friend of his, apparently.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

After those AA systems were taken out by special forces, strikes on Crimea ramped up. Ukraine would have found great use for ATACMs before now, but now is good timing to continue slamming Crimea's infrastructure. I mean obviously the Kerch is the main concern, but we'll see what they choose to use these for. They could also take out more docked warships.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of warships, there may be another casualty:

https://twitter.com/GlasnostGone/status/1705229356669321255

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They already had rights to use Sevastopol. Doing nothing would have been better from a naval perspective.

The rental agreement had been renewed in 2010 by Yanukovich to last until 2042, but with the Maidan happening there was a risk that the agreement might be dissolved by the new pro-west government.

But I wouldn't put it down to any one particular thing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Impressive footage of one of the strikes on the Black Sea fleet HQ

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1705274912338817534

Were the Russians actually using these buildings for military planning? There have been a few strikes against Ukrainian military buildings but all the reports were that they were empty because obviously you don't just sit in a giant target like that during a war.

Presumably it was empty, but still, a real statement from Ukraine.

Edit: There's an unconfirmed rumour that an admiral was killed in the attack, which seems unlikely but holy crap if they were just chilling in a giant building with "military decision center" written on it

Chalks fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 22, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's a lot of office space in the middle of the city, I'm sure it was being used for something even if the more critical elements were put into bomb proof locations. Maybe the BS fleet's whole accountancy section just got wiped out :rip:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1705274912338817534

Were the Russians actually using these buildings for military planning? There have been a few strikes against Ukrainian military buildings but all the reports were that they were empty because obviously you don't just sit in a giant target like that during a war.

Presumably it was empty, but still, a real statement from Ukraine

Russia claims that only one person is missing. Some speculate that the missing person is none other than Commander of the Black Sea Fleet Viktor Sokolov whose office was directly hit, but I haven't seen any real evidence of that so far. It would be weird if the HQ was completely empty, though. Russia normally has enough anti-air to cover crucial objects like that, but I guess they could have moved to a less conspicuous location when attacks on Sevastopol started ramping up. There still must be some security personnel there, I imagine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Earlier today I was going to make a joke how white smoke coming from the HQ means that a new fleet commander has been chosen but couldn't be bothered to post then. Now it sounds like I might have been correct??

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that's one of the best cruise missiles they have, no? it's relatively fast, flies low below radar and is capable of evasion maneuvers. meaning even the best AA network is going to have a a hard time detecting and then hitting it and then assuming there aren't major holes in coverage or operators are passed out drunk

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Russia claims that only one person is missing. Some speculate that the missing person is none other than Commander of the Black Sea Fleet Viktor Sokolov whose office was directly hit, but I haven't seen any real evidence of that so far. It would be weird if the HQ was completely empty, though. Russia normally has enough anti-air to cover crucial objects like that, but I guess they could have moved to a less conspicuous location when attacks on Sevastopol started ramping up. There still must be some security personnel there, I imagine.

Just casually taking out the commander of the fleet and nobody else with a volley of cruise missiles.

There's no way Russia thinks it has enough AA to cover these targets when Ukraine blew a bunch of holes in a submarine and warship a couple of weeks ago. Look how close this building is to the dry dock!!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
From Zeit Liveblog:

The EU has granted Ukraine another 1,5 billion EUR to keep critical infrastructure like bridges, schools and hospitals running.

It's another part of the original 18 billion support package the EU set up last December. 13,5 billion EUR have already been paid out so far.

The concrete entry in the liveblog is at 16:21, if you want to take a look. (A lot of stuff happened today, so this news item has fallen down the screen a lot.)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Chalks posted:

how many missiles hit it? it seems like it was already on fire before the one shown landed.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

how many missiles hit it? it seems like it was already on fire before the one shown landed.

At least two direct hits. There's some footage from a British journalist filmed during the strikes which sounds like at least 4 explosions and audio from both cruise missiles and air defences so it's difficult to tell exactly which are successful strikes.

https://twitter.com/johnnyjmils/status/1705181843618701806

The Russian government reported 5 missiles but also claimed all were shot down so I don't know how much that's worth.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
shot down directly into the headquarters apparently

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

The most dangerous non-military job in Ukraine seems to be night guards, as they often get killed when something gets cruise missiled.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Someone should edit the Wikipedia article for S-400 and put the fleet headquarters as the picture.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Maybe they mean 'down' as in the feathered sense, meaning that they shot some migratory geese?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

2 missiles were shot down when they collided with the interceptor. Said interceptor was the Black Sea Fleet HQ. 2 birds with 1 stone, it didn't even have to move to perform a successful intercept!

That reporter is being so careful to show nothing and talk vaguely and I still feel like he's walking a very fine tightrope.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Are cruise missile decoys a thing? Or does that not make any sense because to get a dummy bomb to fly is probably nearly as expensive as to just put explosives on it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

cr0y posted:

Are cruise missile decoys a thing? Or does that not make any sense because to get a dummy bomb to fly is probably nearly as expensive as to just put explosives on it.

Yes, they’re definitely a thing. They have been getting used a fair amount, particularly by the Russians during their school, theater, and power grid campaigns.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cr0y posted:

The first Storm Shadow strikes were accompanied by decoys

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1657076098100756504

They're physically very different from the actual cruise missiles though, they're just designed to produce similar radar signatures for a time.

I've not heard of these being used since these early strikes though, so it's possible that the Ukrainians discovered they were redundant if the Russians can't shoot them down anyway.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 22, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

The German Taurus cruise missile has a variant that transforms the actual missile into a decoy midflight, as this type will start launching up to 8 submissions when entering its targeting area and then keep flying while the independent submissions seek out the radars targeting the Taurus and the AA-launching sites that reveal themselves when firing on the decoy.

Though the German MIC probably needs to make completely new ones when Ukraine gets the permission to buy them, as this specific variant was only prototyped when the original program was shut down

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014
It looks like Russia is ‘temporarily’ banning oil exports to keep domestic prices stable.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/crude-oil-prices-climb-after-russia-bans-gas-and-diesel-exports/ar-AA1h6s9F

This seems like a really big deal for several reasons. First, oil exports are the Russian’s government financial/political ace-in-the-hole, and one of the biggest things keeping the war machine running. It’s likely one of their most useful tools for evading sanctions. The ruple could continue to eat poo poo if nobody can buy oil. Also, it puts the Russian regime in the tough spot of having to weigh public discontent over high gas prices with their ability to keep their macro-economy running.

If this is really as serious as it looks, it bodes extremely poorly for the Russian government’s ability to deal with the attritional stress.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Remember there’s a difference between crude and refined exports though. As far as I know crude oil is the material the export most, although yes everyone with a contract to receive diesel from Russia is going to be mad.

But now would be an excellent time for Ukraine to blow up a refinery if there are any in the western end of Russia.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

My prediction is that they haven't even stopped the exports, they are just saying so to soothe domestic consumers and hoping that the end of the harvest season solves the problem on its own.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Refined products make more money and they were a major part of oil exports from Russia to Europe before the sanctions iirc. Mainly diesel.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Refined products make more money and they were a major part of oil exports from Russia to Europe before the sanctions iirc. Mainly diesel.

They used to sell a lot of marine diesel. Basically every ship going Asia - US west coast had Russian bunkers. I’m not sure where they’re getting it from now as I don’t board vessels in the same capacity as I used to.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 23, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The admiral seems to be dead

https://twitter.com/berlin_bridge/status/1705282007398252841
https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1705268912344940766

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Interestingly Budanov claims there are a couple of injured generals, and that he can't confirm dead admirals.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Good interview with Budanov. . Amusingly, the failed Vuhledar attack earlier this year which was mocked mercilessly was commanded personally by Gerasimov.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Interestingly Budanov claims there are a couple of injured generals, and that he can't confirm dead admirals.

Huge if true. That's a 3 star and 2 star general

https://twitter.com/OstapYarysh/status/1705344634128380206

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1705347391111524654

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Holy loving poo poo.

How often in history have multiple generals been taken out in one strike like this? Has it ever happened? Generals haven’t really died on the battlefield since the Early Modern, and it was pretty rare before that.

And obviously lol, indeed, lmao.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
pretty legit decapitation strike. makes sense why they sent the good missiles to do it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

How often in history have multiple generals been taken out in one strike like this? Has it ever happened? Generals haven’t really died on the battlefield since the Early Modern, and it was pretty rare before that.

I would say it's rare for most countries to lose flag officers, but for russia it seems more like doctrine to risk them. multiple examples of them losing gennies in syria, georgia, afghanistan. I dunno about two at once though.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Stealing a joke a goon posted early in the invasion, but,

You just know the second-to-last* thing that went through some poor junior staffer's mind was "this whole meeting could have just been an email."

*the last thing, of course, being shrapnel

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
surovikin in Algeria or whatever living his best life while these other “loyal” clowns are getting murked, would have been nice to have gotten him as well

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Xiahou Dun posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

And obviously lol, indeed, lmao.

The US lost a decent amount of generals and flag officers in ww2, but I don't recall ever multiple in a strike. 2 died in the battle for Okinawa for example.

I haven't dug deep but I'm seeing 11 US generals dying to enemy action compared to the 15 claimed/confirmed Russian ones. The US had a lot of naval officer losses to for obvious reasons which is not included in this.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

wet_goods posted:

surovikin in Algeria or whatever living his best life while these other “loyal” clowns are getting murked, would have been nice to have gotten him as well

If Budanov's comments on the thing in Sudan is an indicator of the future, Surovikin has very little reason to relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
In a mafia state, loyalty trumps competence everytime. Being seen as both competent but of questionable loyalty is remarkably bad for your health.