Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I found out yesterday that all of the Star Ocean games (except 2?) have just gone on to PS Plus, including the newest one. I started it and it's decent fun so far. I wonder if this means that the SO2 remake will go up on PS Plus straight away as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Mr. Locke posted:

We... we don't talk about Second Evolution.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alphadia Genesis feels this compulsion to add hideous penalties to gear. Weve all played an rpg with a piece or armor that drains your health or a weapon that makes you berserk but here it is a tremendous amount of items and the penalties are often unworkably punishing.

Gear that makes you take double damage from all non-basic enemy attacks in a game where most enemies much less bosses dont even have basic attacks, gear that dooms your character with a three turn limit, gear that permanently beserks, confuses, and poisons your character, gear that instantly kills you if you ever heal. Heck, theres multiple pieces of gear that just flat out gives you a chance to die every turn of around 1/5.

Oh but Barudak, these pieces must be really good to offset that! Lol, no. Also you can't remove most status effects, so if an item gives you that theres no way to be clever and remove it in battle. About quarter of the armors and 60% of the accessories have some dumb penalty so you cant even experiment too much without getting handslapped by the game.

It also infects bonuses too. The ultimate weapon for a caster will occassionaly cast a decent spell for free, but only if you use the attack command. It also does not buff her casting stats so it boosts her melee damage from 1,000 -> 2,000 in exchange for her spells she can cast every single turn for free forever from 99,999 damage to 70,000k damage.

It doesn't objectively matter, obviously since the game is really easy but its a bizarre commitment.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 22, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oxxidation posted:

all these devs who are gaga for timed hits seem to forget they’re meant to be a nice-to-have. yes, we always landed them in SMRPG, but every fight’s outcome didn’t hinge on it

They can also be used in Paper Mario to control how much damage you deal or take in challenge runs, which is a pretty neat application for deliberately failing to attack or guard in time.

Incidentally unless it's just trailer weirdness, the TTYD remake looks to run at 30 FPS. Which is a bit concerning for action command balance since that's going to be either a massive buff or nerf to super guarding, and a massive buff to Power Bounce. And other such cases.

Unless they go the Luigi's Mansion 1 route of, the screen renders at 30 times a second, but the controller gets polled 60 times a second.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I heard someone else saying it’s 30 FPS too, which honestly is pretty baffling since usually remasters are supposed to have better frame rates? Or at least parity with the old release, unless it’s some poo poo where you ported a full console game to a handheld without four generations’ worth of tech advancements.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the bowser's inside story remake also ran at 30fps

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So right now does it offer, like, anything over playing it on Dolphin?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well right now its not out, so Dolphin has that advantage

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some of the environments do look better and they do seem to be adding things to it. there are, theoretical ways it could end up better, depending on if they fix the late-game backtracking and fix how they handle vivian in the translation plus maybe, give her whole deal some actual resolution. i honestly wouldnt be opposed to them adding partner sidequests just cause a lot of them do end up fading into the background despite how involved their intros are

if it really does run at 30fps though it's probably gonna be better to emulate than to play on real hardware... like several nintendo games have been lol. i'm fine with switch games not looking the best but man it's insane when the lack of performance is something that impacts their own first and second party releases

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 22, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think they should keep the backtracking

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like ttyd but there's like a 50/50 split of what parts of that backtracking are fun and what parts of it are literally pointless

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the bowser's inside story remake also ran at 30fps

And was also quite unstable to boot. Even though the Super Star Saga remake ran at 60. Then again this was pretty much the death rattle of AlphaDream.

The Colonel posted:

some of the environments do look better and they do seem to be adding things to it. there are, theoretical ways it could end up better, depending on if they fix the late-game backtracking and fix how they handle vivian in the translation plus maybe, give her whole deal some actual resolution. i honestly wouldnt be opposed to them adding partner sidequests just cause a lot of them do end up fading into the background despite how involved their intros are

if it really does run at 30fps though it's probably gonna be better to emulate than to play on real hardware... like several nintendo games have been lol. i'm fine with switch games not looking the best but man it's insane when the lack of performance is something that impacts their own first and second party releases

There have been some changes here and there noticed, so it's probably going more into remake territory than remaster. But it depends on what the changes are yeah. Very curious on how Vivian will be handled in general across the languages.

Would also be nice if some of the other mistranslations were fixed as well. TTYD's English script had some errors here and there, mostly in the tattle log and some of the stats were outright wrong in that version.

The changes will probably be more interesting for the people who played the Japanese version, since the international version was basically a version 2 patch looking at the TCRF page for it.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 22, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah back in the 90s and 2000s it was common for localized releases of jp games to be an updated, bugfixed version. i like majora's mask where there's only two really massive differences but those differences are that one puzzle in great bay got completely simplified cause its original form barely worked, and they accidentally left in the ability to burrow into the ground at romani ranch even though they removed any point to doing that in the final release

weirdly one of the inverse examples of this is wario world. they gave us a shittier, beta version of wario world with an unfinished final boss and then the japanese release was the actual finished game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think they should keep the backtracking

they should keep the twilight town backtracking because that whole part of the game is really cool but fix the moon stuff because that whole chapter felt like filler

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It would be cool if they changed up the Glitzpit runback into an actual challenge or something.

Also yeah partner sidequest to flesh them out would be cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2248430/Touhou_Artificial_Dream_in_Arcadia/

So this just hit steam it looks like. Anyone have any idea if it's any good? Looks an awful like Shin Touhou Tensei

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

So this just hit steam it looks like. Anyone have any idea if it's any good? Looks an awful like Shin Touhou Tensei

'Shin Megami Touhou' was right there and flows better

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

they should keep the twilight town backtracking because that whole part of the game is really cool but fix the moon stuff because that whole chapter felt like filler

It's literally the same small handful of screens back-and-forth, like half a dozen times.

It suuuucks. Some fast-travel to boop between the two main locations of the chapter would fix a LOT of the problem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

'Shin Megami Touhou' was right there and flows better

Yes but Shin Touhou Tensei makes more sense. :colbert:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's literally the same small handful of screens back-and-forth, like half a dozen times.

It suuuucks. Some fast-travel to boop between the two main locations of the chapter would fix a LOT of the problem.

fast travel would utterly annihilate the mood wtf

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

yeah and it owns

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I wonder if they'll do anything about the fact that Amayzee Dayzees can spawn in that chapter even when Mario is at a significant disadvantage for a brief period. TTYD didn't have the capability to block certain enemy formations, it just wasn't built into its engine.

The Colonel posted:

yeah back in the 90s and 2000s it was common for localized releases of jp games to be an updated, bugfixed version. i like majora's mask where there's only two really massive differences but those differences are that one puzzle in great bay got completely simplified cause its original form barely worked, and they accidentally left in the ability to burrow into the ground at romani ranch even though they removed any point to doing that in the final release

weirdly one of the inverse examples of this is wario world. they gave us a shittier, beta version of wario world with an unfinished final boss and then the japanese release was the actual finished game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ZWvRP9G-E

What the gently caress? That's actually so much better than what the English version got! Extra dev time paid off it looks like.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think the back and forth in chapter 4 is the worst part of TTYD for me but also I don't really care if they keep it in either.

Finished the Dragon Age 2 DLC last night and will probably go thru Act 3 tonight. Enjoyed the Assassin's DLC itself but Felicia Day's character model was awful. Was cool to have an Elf that followed the Qun.

The other DLC wasn't great IMO, though that might have been due to knowing exactly what I was causing since I've played DA:I. Got a cool keyblade dagger out of it though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr E posted:

I think the back and forth in chapter 4 is the worst part of TTYD for me but also I don't really care if they keep it in either.

Finished the Dragon Age 2 DLC last night and will probably go thru Act 3 tonight. Enjoyed the Assassin's DLC itself but Felicia Day's character model was awful. Was cool to have an Elf that followed the Qun.

The other DLC wasn't great IMO, though that might have been due to knowing exactly what I was causing since I've played DA:I. Got a cool keyblade dagger out of it though.

Even worse than the TEC subplot?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I heard someone else saying it’s 30 FPS too, which honestly is pretty baffling since usually remasters are supposed to have better frame rates? Or at least parity with the old release, unless it’s some poo poo where you ported a full console game to a handheld without four generations’ worth of tech advancements.
yeah this is because they did not port it, they remade the whole drat game using what looks like origami king as a base and it simply has too many graphics to run at 60 fps on switch

OK also runs at 30 and i never particularly had problems with action commands in that game, so as long as they're tuned properly there really shouldn't be an issue on that front. it is a bit of a bummer about the FPS though, it's definitely a tradeoff.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Araxxor posted:

I wonder if they'll do anything about the fact that Amayzee Dayzees can spawn in that chapter even when Mario is at a significant disadvantage for a brief period. TTYD didn't have the capability to block certain enemy formations, it just wasn't built into its engine.

What the gently caress? That's actually so much better than what the English version got! Extra dev time paid off it looks like.

that is a very unfortunate title cut off

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Even worse than the TEC subplot?

I can mash through that faster than it takes to walk back and forth in chapter four. Honestly the actual worst part is the quest where you're looking for that bob-omb and have to go so many places on a wild goose chase anyway.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Araxxor posted:

that fight is so much better, actually feels like a proper treasure boss fight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

any particular recommendations for who to pick in octopath 2? i know you see all the stories but i also know you cant remove the character you pick from the party so i wanna make sure im not stuck with a lump

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

any particular recommendations for who to pick in octopath 2? i know you see all the stories but i also know you cant remove the character you pick from the party so i wanna make sure im not stuck with a lump

You can eventually remove them but it takes a while.
The top 3 are probably Ochette, Hikari and Castti. The first two are hugely flexible and can fill any party role easily while Casetti isn't quite as good but her Apothecary stuff is still incredibly good and not something other party members can get even with her class.

Ochette is adorable feral meat girl
Hikari is SWORDS MCHONOR
Castti is Badass Mom.

So whichever of those interests you the most.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd throw another vote to Castti.

Good in battle and I liked the character and story.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I was Team Castti with no regrets. Definitely one of the better stories too I think.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ochette benefits a lot from being permanently in the party because that way you'll always be catching monsters and getting jerky. Because she has all those utility systems to interact with, you won't feel as overpowered for having a much higher-level party leader. On the other hand, if you want to feel overpowered due to a higher-level party leader, you want Hikari, whose gimmick is having completely bonkered physical burst damage.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I went Throne and she was generally my best damage dealer but if I'd gone with Hikari I think he would have hit that role. Cassti can do some really great start-of-battle buffing once you've messed with subclasses, though.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Endorph posted:

Everyone’s pretty good and you can subclass so you can just pick whoever you think looks the most interesting, though if I had to choose a top three for starting characters I would say Partitio, Castti, or Hikari are good choices.

Partitio’s fun and can do a variety of roles fairly well, so he fits into most parties.

Castti’s unique moves are really effective and I like her as a character.

Hikari is your standard warrior/fighter but he’s got some interesting options with learned moves and he’s also just very straightforwardly effective. Not as interesting as the other two in terms of story, though (IMO).

I personally went with Partitio and it went pretty well, but again there aren’t really any bad options. I guess Osvald has a pretty narrow role in combat so he might be a tough character to always have in your party, but I do know people who started with him and did fine.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

https://twitter.com/MarshSMT/status/1705237868845650148

Glowing praise from a good SMT youtuber so I'd say it's probably worth checking out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Generally the pros for each character:

Hikari: Absurd upfront damage, shockingly flexible in terms of damage dealing with some reasonable support/shield breaking
Ochette: Strong overall damage, incredible flexible in terms of damage, support and shield breaking
Cassti: Access to her crazy mixes and overall good healing
Throne: Strong damage dealer
Temenos: Strong healer.
Agnea: Can bring people along with her for hilariously strong buffs
Partitio: Fuckin' banger theme, lots of options for making things cheaper, is a very good boy
Osvald: No real good reasons to be party leader but Mug is probably the best path action in the game.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

https://twitter.com/MarshSMT/status/1705237868845650148

Glowing praise from a good SMT youtuber so I'd say it's probably worth checking out

gently caress, fewer games need to come out. I haven't even gotten to start Wandering Sword yet.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kinda insane how there's a high quality Touhou Fangame version of basically any genre/IP

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Kinda insane how there's a high quality Touhou Fangame version of basically any genre/IP

It's a way to make your own version of popular games and assure you'll get at least some eyes on them/have recognizable characters, which is pretty neat as a concept. There's not a lot of big fandoms where you can freely use the characters in for-profit works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's also really handy to have a bunch of character designs and gameplay gimmicks because the Touhous all have distinct powers and theming.