Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I made it through the entirety of Heaven's Vault, played through a little over halfway through in NewGame+, finally dropped off Sya (worker trapped on one of the moons) on Elboreth, since the game was finally making me go to one of main, populated moons again. I went to go chat with Oroi (main character's very techy friend) about some stuff, and happened to notice that you can tell her about Six (your robot buddy) and their bog-standard Robot Amnesia from probably having their memory wiped. Thought process for the next fifteen minutes went along these lines:

...you can mention Six's memories? :thunk:

...you can mention the weird obviously mind-capturing teleporter from the Withering Palace? :stare:

...you can take her to the Withering Palace?? :stonk:

...Six is who now??? :stonklol:

Okay, well I guess it was a good thing I wanted to chat with Oroi about that crystal I found! :stonkhat:

Jesus Christ I figured that Six was going to be an important character of some kind, I didn't think that Six would end up having their personality overwritten(recovered?) by Oroi and turn out to be a loving Empress

edit: Okay, I thought I was just doing a victory lap of this game because I knew quite a bit and had to patch over a few holes, now I'm realizing that I can't stop after a second playthrough because I have to hit NewGame++, do all of the above poo poo ASAP, and then play through the game a third time just for this alone. And then when I finish time number 3, I still technically have to go back to one of these sites with Six because I never did get to explore that place on my first playthrough. Good lord. :allears:

bawk has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
heaven's vault is such a surprisingly deep game. i do wish the overall experience was smoother so it'd be more generally recommendable, but it's still very much worth playing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't forget there's two endings as well!

Ruud Hoenkloewen
Jan 24, 2020
When you're done with the game, I also highly recommend reading the novelizations. They're by the main writer and hit the vibe perfectly. They avoid just replaying the plot of the game, instead giving a lot more character backstory and world details you never see in game. It also unambiguously gives you a happy ending, which was a nice surprise after beating the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ruud Hoenkloewen posted:

When you're done with the game, I also highly recommend reading the novelizations. They're by the main writer and hit the vibe perfectly. They avoid just replaying the plot of the game, instead giving a lot more character backstory and world details you never see in game. It also unambiguously gives you a happy ending, which was a nice surprise after beating the game.

Well I know what I'm buying next... :stare: :shepspends:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Rendfield: Bring Your Own Blood is the Vampire Survivors clone Renfield movie tie-in game. Like the movie, it's more fun than it has any right to be.

The movie is set in New Orleans and stars Nic Cage as Dracula. The first level in the game is the Saint Louis Cemetery where, if you get lucky, you can come across Nic Cage's real life pyramid tomb.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/nicolas-cage-s-pyramid-tomb

That's such a niche reference from a niche game based on a niche movie that I can only marvel at it.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

OutOfPrint posted:

Rendfield: Bring Your Own Blood is the Vampire Survivors clone Renfield movie tie-in game. Like the movie, it's more fun than it has any right to be.

The movie is set in New Orleans and stars Nic Cage as Dracula. The first level in the game is the Saint Louis Cemetery where, if you get lucky, you can come across Nic Cage's real life pyramid tomb.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/nicolas-cage-s-pyramid-tomb

That's such a niche reference from a niche game based on a niche movie that I can only marvel at it.

Is that the movie where he runs down the street screaming "I'M A VAMPIRE! :byodood:" or is this a different vampire movie starring Nic Cage?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

That's Vampire's Kiss.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Renfield is great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Marcade posted:

That's Vampire's Kiss.

Which absolutely rocks and is a must see.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Mario Rabbids 1: very charming game all over. enjoyed my time with it. but i think my favourite little detail is that the image for Luigi's overwatch ability, "Steely Stare", is the death stare from Mario Kart that went viral. couldnt help but smirk every time i switched him back into my party and was reminded

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sally posted:

Mario Rabbids 1: very charming game all over. enjoyed my time with it. but i think my favourite little detail is that the image for Luigi's overwatch ability, "Steely Stare", is the death stare from Mario Kart that went viral. couldnt help but smirk every time i switched him back into my party and was reminded

It's come up in a few games now, one of the recent Paper Marios mentions it too iirc. Cant remember if it's Colour Splash or Origami King off the top of my head though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's come up in a few games now, one of the recent Paper Marios mentions it too iirc. Cant remember if it's Colour Splash or Origami King off the top of my head though.

It's Color Splash that says it directly, with your partner character telling Luigi to just 'give them that creepy stare' in response to anyone attacking him after he drives you somewhere. Origami King doesn't reference it explicitly, but does keep Luigi as 'the driver' and makes it clear that he's really aggressive about it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

haha good!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Which absolutely rocks and is a must see.

It does and is, fair warning it might be a little more hosed up than you remember if it's been a while since you saw it

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just rewatched it a couple of weeks ago.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Renfield was so good. "That's so weird! Why would you phrase it like that!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The 2.0 update for Cyberpunk removes the Elon Musk cameo.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

muscles like this! posted:

The 2.0 update for Cyberpunk removes the Elon Musk cameo.

The Elon Musk cameo that had him acting like a weirdo having been stuffed in the dark corners of a bathroom? He basically exists to get told to gently caress off.

I guess they were worried they hurt the nazi terf's feelings.

Archonex has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Sep 22, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Archonex posted:

The Elon Musk cameo that had him acting like a weirdo having been stuffed in the dark corners of a bathroom? He basically exists to get told to gently caress off.

Orrrrr they didn't want Elon in their game any more

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Archonex posted:

? no, it was the report that he threatened the dev team with George Washington's flintlock to be put in the game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Famethrowa posted:

? no, it was the report that he threatened the dev team with George Washington's flintlock to be put in the game.

I did not hear of this. What the gently caress happened exactly? :stare:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

he threatened the dev team with George Washington's flintlock to be put in the game.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Archonex posted:

I did not hear of this. What the gently caress happened exactly? :stare:

https://www.pcgamer.com/elon-musk-demanded-a-cameo-in-cyberpunk-2077-while-wielding-a-200-year-old-gun-i-was-armed-but-not-dangerous/

probably this one

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1597165510595989504?t=qk_oRr_vNXklLPe1Yr__qQ&s=19

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was it actually George Washington's flintlock, or just A flintlock? Places online just said it was a 200-year old gun.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is he holding George Washington's flintlock in game?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Randalor posted:

Was it actually George Washington's flintlock, or just A flintlock? Places online just said it was a 200-year old gun.

It's a replica. Yours for $150

https://replicaweaponry.com/colonial-replica-george-washington-deluxe-boxed-flintlock-set/

Qwertycoatl has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Sep 22, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So it's not even an actually-200-year-old gun? Just a cheap replica? What the everloving gently caress? Elon is the SADDEST excuse for a narcissistic megalomaniac billionaire I've ever seen. Either go with an actual vintage gun (I vote blunderbuss because, cmon, it's a God drat blunderbuss) or some stupidly gimmicky experimental technology gun. It's Cyberpunk, wave a God drat gauss rifle around!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Really wish we weren't talking about the twitter chode in any capacity, a fantasy cyberpunk 2.0 thankfully provides.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

still just absolutely loling at the diet coke cans.

anyhow, not entirely sure how i feel about 2.0, but i am digging the "no longer loot 4 billion guns and disassemble them all to grind for points in crafting" mechanic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not even Diet Coke, It's Caffeine Free Diet Coke the drink of absolute psychopaths.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
There's a lot of worst parts of that picture, but the absolute worst part might be the sheer number of water rings from not using a coaster.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Not even Diet Coke, It's Caffeine Free Diet Coke the drink of absolute psychopaths.

i call it night coke. yum

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Working on my

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

A little disappointed that Heaven's Vault's robot companion doesn't have more different voice lines if you uncover their backstory. There were a few brand new moments, but otherwise it seems to be a pretty rough find->replace of "Mistress" with other nouns when referring to the main character. Sometimes they land very well, other times it's the most hilariously stilted conversation possible. "Are you injured, Elborethian Scum?!"

I'm also satisfied with the wrap-up on NewGame+, because from what I'm reading there's not a lot of extra dialogue to uncover by getting to the robot companion's backstory early, and the last moon that I missed doing on my first playthrough was actually the Mining Moon, which I already fully completed in my unfinished 2020 playthrough. I think I've finally wringed as much content as I can from the game, so I'm looking at the novels somebody posted earlier :v:

I'm still stuck on the whole translating-another-language gametype so I've been playing Chants of Sennaar, which is a refreshing little twist on the idea. Instead of finding out 1 language inbetween tons of dialogue, you're figuring out 5 languages over the course of the game with zero dialogue other than the NPCs speaking their languages. They have different ways to create the same word in different languages, like the first language pluralizes via repetition (the words for "Man" and "Men" would be like "L" and "LL") while other languages use modifier words for pluralization. The thing that floored me was seeing a font that looked Arabic, correctly guessing that it'd be read backwards, but not correctly guessing it would be Verb-Subject-Object :doh:

The real little thing is that when you discover the fast travel points, there's sometimes a little translation game where you translate conversations between the different languages, and they're conversations that actually break down the literal barriers between the different cultures and let them intermingle. The Warriors will invite the Bards to visit them because the Warriors' whole deal is they love music and want to protect the bards from monsters, so when you translate their conversation the bards finally realize that the warriors love music and they come to put on a concert for them. :allears:

Also, the game has some of the best through-rate on Achievements I've seen. 50%+ of people who bought the game have made it to the area with the fifth (and presuambly final) language, which involves learning and using a numbering system where thousands/hundreds/tends/ones is based on quadrants instead of decimal places. I've seen so many games where you hit the halfway point, let alone a number-based puzzle, and now the achievements show <20% of people have them. 50% of people making it to the final area means that we all knew what we were getting into and were fully onboard for the ride.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Saint's Row I like how it establishes just how much more dangerous Marshall is than the Panteros and the Idols - you kill the head of the latter two and destroy their homes and they are basically dead in the water, but the difference is that Marshall has infrastructure - if you destroy their base, they'll just build a new one with the massive resources, kill the head? He's already got successors in mind. You have to deal with them WAY smarter than the other two gangs, especially as their war on you has already basically been won via contracts and the legal system.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth came up in discussion elsewhere, which reminded me of a fun little thing in that game. Sadly it requires some fairly major spoilers. The game takes place in a dream, which gives Deedlit more martial prowess than she possesses in reality. In particular, you can get a gigantic two-handed sword and she can swing it around like it ain't nothin'. But there's one short segment that takes place in the real world, and in that segment, if you try to swing that sword, you get a comically long swing animation with absolutely horrendous recovery frames.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

bawk posted:

A little disappointed that Heaven's Vault's robot companion doesn't have more different voice lines if you uncover their backstory. There were a few brand new moments, but otherwise it seems to be a pretty rough find->replace of "Mistress" with other nouns when referring to the main character. Sometimes they land very well, other times it's the most hilariously stilted conversation possible. "Are you injured, Elborethian Scum?!"

I'm also satisfied with the wrap-up on NewGame+, because from what I'm reading there's not a lot of extra dialogue to uncover by getting to the robot companion's backstory early, and the last moon that I missed doing on my first playthrough was actually the Mining Moon, which I already fully completed in my unfinished 2020 playthrough. I think I've finally wringed as much content as I can from the game, so I'm looking at the novels somebody posted earlier :v:

I'm still stuck on the whole translating-another-language gametype so I've been playing Chants of Sennaar, which is a refreshing little twist on the idea. Instead of finding out 1 language inbetween tons of dialogue, you're figuring out 5 languages over the course of the game with zero dialogue other than the NPCs speaking their languages. They have different ways to create the same word in different languages, like the first language pluralizes via repetition (the words for "Man" and "Men" would be like "L" and "LL") while other languages use modifier words for pluralization. The thing that floored me was seeing a font that looked Arabic, correctly guessing that it'd be read backwards, but not correctly guessing it would be Verb-Subject-Object :doh:

The real little thing is that when you discover the fast travel points, there's sometimes a little translation game where you translate conversations between the different languages, and they're conversations that actually break down the literal barriers between the different cultures and let them intermingle. The Warriors will invite the Bards to visit them because the Warriors' whole deal is they love music and want to protect the bards from monsters, so when you translate their conversation the bards finally realize that the warriors love music and they come to put on a concert for them. :allears:

Also, the game has some of the best through-rate on Achievements I've seen. 50%+ of people who bought the game have made it to the area with the fifth (and presuambly final) language, which involves learning and using a numbering system where thousands/hundreds/tends/ones is based on quadrants instead of decimal places. I've seen so many games where you hit the halfway point, let alone a number-based puzzle, and now the achievements show <20% of people have them. 50% of people making it to the final area means that we all knew what we were getting into and were fully onboard for the ride.

I bet you've already played it, but you'd probably enjoy Sethian.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

beats for junkies posted:

I bet you've already played it, but you'd probably enjoy Sethian.

I have no idea what this but somehow it's already in my library and $5 has disappeared from my credit card. Oh well!

e: Oh. Oh this game is going to make my head hurt. I'm going to play the hell out of it but I'm going to need to start tomorrow morning after I've had my coffee, not this close to bedtime when I'm already yawning

bawk has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

A pretty badass moment in Sea of Stars. How do you get the light of an eclipse to reach beneath a mountain? You have the party ninja who can cut portals in space effectively cut the top of the mountain off