Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The silent mode icon being on the top bar permanently is bogus as hell.

Also lol, I forgot about the AOD and was confused as hell when the screen didn't turn off when I hit the sleep button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The silent mode icon being on the top bar permanently is bogus as hell.

Also lol, I forgot about the AOD and was confused as hell when the screen didn't turn off when I hit the sleep button.

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1705239476321104001?s=20

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aphrodite posted:

There's lots of little options you can change that will affect this, but by default at 4:3:

The main 1x lens takes 5712x4284 24mp photos.

The others shoot 4032x3024 12mp.
Wow, that's impressive!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

American McGay posted:

iPhone thread and being weird about shipping, a union for the ages. Now we just need to get timb in here to complain about the color temperature on his 4th launch day return.

lmao I had forgotten about that

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Transferring data including 170GB of pics/videos took about an hour and a half from my 13 Pro. The process of adding Wallet cards took a while because I had to enter the security codes for like 10 cards but generally a smooth process.

You're prompted to updated iOS before starting the transfer.

edit: If you care, remember to transfer your signal chat history before wiping your old phone. I forgot. :negative:

Man I've been doing the phone transfer thing at night, initializing it right before I go to bed so I wake up with everything settled. I know it's too late now, but try that strategy next time, it's great.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh hell yeah. Thanks, you made my day.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Apple has given users too much power.

https://x.com/nimbus_basey/status/1705306809794547801

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey Siri activate JO crystals

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Question Mark Mound posted:

These new alarm tones for iOS 17 sound hella nice.

You mean notifications sounds? There aren’t new alarm sounds from what I saw. I’m using First Light right now, it’s alright I guess.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao, Apple had to know this would happen

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The meme potential of action button shortcuts is endless. I already had the idea of setting it to just play Rick Astley.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For those without an action button you can do the same thing with the three taps on the back. It lets you assign any shortcut to it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Heads up, once you get your phone set up fully it’s not a bad idea to do a quick reset. It was sending all of my calls to voice and not telling me until I did.

Luckily I’m off today so nothing important from work would have happened but still.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tapping "t 4 t" in morse code to launch grindr

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lmao I had forgotten about that

I hadn’t cuz someone saying DA FROOT STAND earlier reminded me

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

njsykora posted:

The meme potential of action button shortcuts is endless. I already had the idea of setting it to just play Rick Astley.

Mine's going to launch this https://x.com/brianjoralvarez/status/1703448088457916911?s=20

Now I just need to cajole ATT into moving my number over. This poo poo never just works.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Apparently if you position a sticker correctly on a text message it'll show the text as indented to the recipient? Kinda having trouble getting it to work consistently on my 12 mini tho.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reduced weight and rounded edges give the 15 Pro a great hand feel. Plus an unworn oleophobic coating makes swiping feel so nice.

15 Pro good y’all

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Apparently if you position a sticker correctly on a text message it'll show the text as indented to the recipient? Kinda having trouble getting it to work consistently on my 12 mini tho.

Yeah that works for me.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Pretty sure I'm not getting my iphone today. UPS driver was right at my house from the north, then started updating south of my place and they've updated my time to "by 7PM tonight" pretty sure the UPS is going to skip me and claim that "i didn't answer"

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Josh Lyman posted:

Reduced weight and rounded edges give the 15 Pro a great hand feel. Plus an unworn oleophobic coating makes swiping feel so nice.

15 Pro good y’all

Stop.... you're making me want to purchase.

In effect the IUP is paying ~$500-600 to use the device per year. So over 4 years I'm paying ~2300 and change idk, vs $1100 if I bought 1 phone in those 4 years instead of a new one each year. That's how I've been justifying it. It's a unique financial product they are offering really, because of the economics of used iPhones.

Plus near zero carrier lock-in shenanigans.

Finger is wagging towards that button, I'll do it at some point. I'm on an IUP 14 Pro for now.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think screen protectors for the 13 and 14 more or less fit the 15 models. The one I bought for the 15 Pro is slightly smaller than the entire screen. It makes me think I could have just used one of the extras from my 13 Pro.

Just in case anyone has extra protectors from their older phones.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

njsykora posted:

Marques Brownlee set his for Google Assistant.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Strong Sauce posted:

Pretty sure I'm not getting my iphone today. UPS driver was right at my house from the north, then started updating south of my place and they've updated my time to "by 7PM tonight" pretty sure the UPS is going to skip me and claim that "i didn't answer"

Out of paranoia I just met the driver down the street and told him I’m sorry to bug him but my building’s buzzers are unpredictable and he’s like “man you’re not bugging me! It’s cool, the sooner I finish up the sooner I go home!”

It was the same guy who delivered my phone last time so we talked about video game consoles for a while. That guy rules.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Good lord you people need to be locked up.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hey my buzzers really do suck and I miss packages, I don’t want to take another afternoon off when I can go talk about video games with a cool guy and save him a trip :)

Happy phone day everyone

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone tested whether recording videos with stereo audio is worth it? I almost always support the phone with my right pinky when I’m recording a video and it’s usually covering the bottom left mic; my understand is there’s also a bottom right mic plus one next to the earpiece and of course on the camera bump.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

American McGay posted:

Good lord you people need to be locked up.

Look, I go out to meet my mailman all the time so he doesn’t have to walk up my steep rear end stairs if he has a package, ok

We talk about cats

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i would be perfectly fine with meeting the driver, just as i meet my doordash driver out by the door whenever i have to use the credits from my credit card but the truck just skipped entirely passed my area :|

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I followed my ups guy flashing my light and honking my horn till he pulled over

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

MarcusSA posted:

I followed my ups guy flashing my light and honking my horn till he pulled over

This is why I installed a harpoon on my minivan.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Need to get a giant magnet like they have in junkyards

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
After a little more time with the 15 Pro:

I don't like the dynamic island I think. It's much more distracting than a notch. Oh well.

The camera is really nice, and the camera app is much smoother in low-ish light. Neat!

You can set the always on screen to be off, click/notifications only, or include the background. I like the clock on, reminds me of my old windows phone.

I don't think I like the fine woven case. The lips are too big (or the bezel is too thin), and it's actually quite slippery.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

15 Pro good y’all

Man you aren’t kidding. The weight between my 13 Pro and new 15 pro is really noticeable.

Only thing I’m a bit bummed about iOS 17 I just noticed is that ring tones and sounds for all other notifications (such as messages) are now separated. I have a bunch of Ultraman & Ultra Kaiju sounds that I’ve used for various sounds for a bunch of years, but now I cannot use them for anything except the phone ringer. Is there a way to add these sounds to the other actions?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Any verdicts on the in person 15 Pro colors?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Any verdicts on the in person 15 Pro colors?

I’m liking my dark blue - it matches my MBA pretty well

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I tried to wave the ups driver down while I was holding my gun to let him know he was safe to hand over my iPhone and nobody would take it but he drove away really fast?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This is The Dress all over again.

Took too long today deciding which colour to grab, between natural and blue - now everywhere nearby is sold out until October. My XR will keep slugging on for a while longer it seems.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This doesn't look dark blue at all! :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The 15 colors are so wack