Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

There has to be a way to use this power for the good of mankind, not just incredibly complex video game time saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It is entertaining so it is for the greater good.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

dpkg chopra posted:

There has to be a way to use this power for the good of mankind, not just incredibly complex video game time saves.

I do genuinely think about what we'd achieve if we didn't have the majority of adults sinking all their time, energy and passion into a mind numbing paid work grind, and the remainder living in miserable poverty.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bike tory posted:

I do genuinely think about what we'd achieve if we didn't have the majority of adults sinking all their time, energy and passion into a mind numbing paid work grind, and the remainder living in miserable poverty.

more speedrun strats imo

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Big Bad Game A Thon appears to be this weekend, oops
https://horaro.org/bbg2023/schedule
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbadgameathon

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Also Shmuptember on rgltv just started:

https://horaro.org/shmup/schedule
https://twitch.tv/retrogaminglivetv

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Big bad Game-a-thon is always a good time, too bad I'm pretty busy this weekend but have to catch what I can. It also makes good random VOD viewing either directly from Twitch or later YT.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I still wish RGL would set the drat category instead of retro

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
incredible tetris the grand master player and generally very cool person switchpalacecorner just got a WR in tgm2 death mode, the first time a non-JP player has held a main mode world record in the series ever i believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg_a2zkucVE

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
dang, nice! i saw they were doing runs again recently, awesome to hear they got it :toot:

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004
https://twitter.com/summoningsalt/status/1708893161576087726

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There's finally a new sm64 120 WR with carpetless, by 1 second from puncayshun

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the summoningsalt video on making carpetless real is gonna kick rear end when it comes out in two years

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
It's time again for Midwest Speedfest. We're running over the next 4 days raising money for One Iowa who is helping out LGBTQ+ folks in that state.

Schedule here:
https://oengus.io/marathon/MWSFFF/schedule

Watch at:
https://www.twitch.tv/midwestspeedfest

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

There's finally a new sm64 120 WR with carpetless, by 1 second from puncayshun

A new era!

How are the sm64 runners liking doing runs with carpetless? Is it making things more stressful?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

SeXReX posted:

It's time again for Midwest Speedfest. We're running over the next 4 days raising money for One Iowa who is helping out LGBTQ+ folks in that state.

Schedule here:
https://oengus.io/marathon/MWSFFF/schedule

Watch at:
https://www.twitch.tv/midwestspeedfest

I'll be hosting the marathon closer (Diddy Kong Racing randomizer) on Sunday evening!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
What does diddy kong racing randomizer even look like?!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

agdq 2024 game list is up

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list

gyromite: dog assistance%

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I think this is the first time we have seen Elden Ring Unrestriced% at a major marathon. Or maybe any marathon, it is absolutely not marathon friendly.
That bidwar between ER and Sekiro also seems like a new idea. Not sure if I like it. Unrestricted is funny enough that I will prefer it over Sekiro in this case, despite preferring the opposite for all other categories.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

agdq 2024 game list is up

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/games-list

gyromite: dog assistance%

I am looking forward to more Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers because the real reason I watch GDQ is a vain attempt to recapture the lost joy of my childhood. I have many fond memories of playing that game with my brother followed shortly by less fond memories of us shouting at each other over whose fault it was Dale got thrown into a bottomless pit.

I wonder if there's any chance Grand Poo World 2 gets replaced by 3 which is coming out November 10; looks like there might be time to get a feel for it before the late enrollment period.

Lots of races which are usually great fun, but I was a little disappointed not to see a SMW/Mario Maker hotseat team race. Those have really been standouts at the last two events. But maybe that's another possibility for the late signup period.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The Mario Maker competitions have been at the last six or so events? I think they might be giving them a break so they stay fresh. Kinda like how they stopped doing Super Metroid runs for a bit.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Mario Maker competitions have been at the last six or so events? I think they might be giving them a break so they stay fresh. Kinda like how they stopped doing Super Metroid runs for a bit.

I think the mario maker guys are doing their own events too. Might be moving there?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Virtual Hydlide is back, the Saturn game that runs at 1FPS.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Maigius posted:

Virtual Hydlide is back, the Saturn game that runs at 1FPS.

It frequently drops below that actually

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bremen posted:

I am looking forward to more Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers because the real reason I watch GDQ is a vain attempt to recapture the lost joy of my childhood. I have many fond memories of playing that game with my brother followed shortly by less fond memories of us shouting at each other over whose fault it was Dale got thrown into a bottomless pit.

ngl i have found gdq to be less appealing as they've moved away from schedules relatively heavy with 8 and 16 bit games and towards more modern games. i find it easier to watch a run of a snes game i've never played than a modern game i've never played. part of this is just boomer brain nostalgia poo poo i'm sure, but also older games generally take less to understand. i've never played a single castlevania or megaman in my life but it's easy to watch people speedrun them. i can't say that about like, a pc fps game released in 2019 that i've never playedor whatever. i dunno if this is a common view or not.

that said this schedule has a higher percentage of old games than it feels like the last few gdqs did so yay.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

I think this is the first time we have seen Elden Ring Unrestriced% at a major marathon. Or maybe any marathon, it is absolutely not marathon friendly.
That bidwar between ER and Sekiro also seems like a new idea. Not sure if I like it. Unrestricted is funny enough that I will prefer it over Sekiro in this case, despite preferring the opposite for all other categories.

Is unrestricted the one where you teabag the ground to astrally project yourself far enough away to unload the terrain and make the bosses fall to their deaths through the whole game? Because that is extremely funny to watch for the first time imo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Educational Games posted:

Is unrestricted the one where you teabag the ground to astrally project yourself far enough away to unload the terrain and make the bosses fall to their deaths through the whole game? Because that is extremely funny to watch for the first time imo

If not please link that

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Educational Games posted:

Yes.
It also needs setups that are somewhat machine dependent, due to lag spikes ruining frame counts. Which is why I am looking forward to seeing them try in a marathon.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Monkey Island speedruns? That's something I've never seen before, and am looking forward to.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If the prospect of classic adventure game speedruns intrigues you, check out OneShortEye's youtube channel, he has all kinds of great stuff in that vein like Monkey Island and King's Quest series.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
They had a Monkey Island run last SGDQ!

Also, gonna second a recommendation for OneShortEye. I'm not interested in Monkey island or king's Quest but the videos are really good and I watched all of them.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oh hey, I didn't know that FFV PR has a cutscene remover now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
new super mario 64 120 star world record wooo

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Musical_Daredevil posted:

They had a Monkey Island run last SGDQ!

Also, gonna second a recommendation for OneShortEye. I'm not interested in Monkey island or king's Quest but the videos are really good and I watched all of them.

That’s right, they did! I missed it since I was on vacation and forgot about it, will check that out as well.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lot of 3D Zelda in there

Which is good, even after all these years I'm still a sucker for a good long 3D Zelda run

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Apparently the Sonic Origins relay is in a spot of trouble as Argick dropped after their mask policy was published.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MatchaZed posted:

Apparently the Sonic Origins relay is in a spot of trouble as Argick dropped after their mask policy was published.

why are sonic fans so cringe

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kind of a mischaracterization. Argick is fine with wearing a mask, but less fine with the idea of being confined to his hotel room after an expensive and lengthy international voyage if one of his roommates has the sniffles.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah their policy this year is kinda poo poo. Masks are only optional now for some insane reason but if they decide you're exhibiting symptoms then you and anyone rooming with you gets your badge revoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Which seems to me to be a perfect perverse incentive for people who come down with covid or possible covid symptoms to do anything possible to hide the fact, while still mingling all over the event. I know it's easy to be a backseat quarterback but this really seems to be a poorly thought out policy.