Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

On my very slow rewatch of Seed I noticed a fun little detail. The first time Kira goes Seed Mode, he aims exclusively for the cockpit. He's sortieing with the Duel, goes Seed on, and then tries to cut through into the cockpit with his beam saber. Doesn't get the job done because a beam saber doesn't have the cutting power of an anti-ship sword but it gives him a moment to get away. When the Duel comes at him again, Kira pulls out an armor schneider and aims for the only place vulnerable to an armor schneider on an MS with phase shift armor; the hole he'd made with his beam saber. It's pure dumb luck that all he does is take one of Yzak's eyes, instead of doing him like that pirate in IBO got done.

It's a neat moment in contrast with how Kira uses his Seed later on. And does make me wonder how things would've gone down if he had killed Yzak in that moment. He probably would not have felt nearly as bad. Yzak never played the piano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The first two or three times Kira uses Seed it's pretty hype, then it just becomes more and more mundane. It staying as a sort of hyper competent trance state where you try to eliminate the enemy as quickly and efficiently as possible would've been a lot more interesting, you could even have him fighting against it when he decides to go all batman

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

On my very slow rewatch of Seed I noticed a fun little detail. The first time Kira goes Seed Mode, he aims exclusively for the cockpit. He's sortieing with the Duel, goes Seed on, and then tries to cut through into the cockpit with his beam saber. Doesn't get the job done because a beam saber doesn't have the cutting power of an anti-ship sword but it gives him a moment to get away. When the Duel comes at him again, Kira pulls out an armor schneider and aims for the only place vulnerable to an armor schneider on an MS with phase shift armor; the hole he'd made with his beam saber. It's pure dumb luck that all he does is take one of Yzak's eyes, instead of doing him like that pirate in IBO got done.

It's a neat moment in contrast with how Kira uses his Seed later on. And does make me wonder how things would've gone down if he had killed Yzak in that moment. He probably would not have felt nearly as bad. Yzak never played the piano.

SEED early on is presented heavily as a "I have discarded restraint and gone full on to the most effective way to hurt people" moment which is potentially pretty neat, especially when you have Flay basically doing her best to make Kira into her personal murder puppet. Up until post Strike/Aegis they do a reasonably good job of "SEED comes out -> someone probably loving dies or is maimed or otherwise gets their poo poo wrecked." Andy actually literally compares it to ancient Berserkers. They kind of try to do the same thing with Shinn where when he pulls out the SEED eyes someone dies or comes close to dying.

Which is why it's disappointing that once Freedom and Justice come out they kind of go "oh, uh, Kira/Athrun got it under control" and that's the end of that until Destiny. Because it is a lot more interesting as a thing that pops out when someone is about to die as opposed to just a 'uh powerup I guess.'

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think it was described along the lines of "when a situation calls on a person to surpass their normal limits", like a visualization of hysterical strength with bonus sci-fi acronym added to it

Nothing even wrong with it as an idea, and it working differently between characters based on what limits they're breaking, but it's maybe just one detail too far in a show that also had the Naturals/Coordinators and Oldtypes/Newtypes things also going on alongside it, with out main character being all three

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't remember, do any Naturals ever go Seed mode?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Cagalli does it once.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It's just a visual signifier that a person has gone beyond their limits.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Argas posted:

It's just a visual signifier that a person has gone beyond their limits.

Yeah. It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of it. It's too ill-defined, while being too stylized to be a generic "going hard" mode. Plus they commit the cardinal sin of trying to explain their weird super mode (Kira being called a berserker, Malchio talking about it all religiously, etc).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/yuuyamonster/status/1704097594937626702?t=bolViEaCf0EYDOQoZBoK6A&s=19

Build your own Jetstream Attack

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a truly flawless reproduction

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warmachine posted:

Yeah. It's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of it. It's too ill-defined, while being too stylized to be a generic "going hard" mode. Plus they commit the cardinal sin of trying to explain their weird super mode (Kira being called a berserker, Malchio talking about it all religiously, etc).

They also have Lacus with SEED mode eyes while....standing on the bridge of a battleship doing absolutely nothing.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
SEED-mode charisma would be a fine thing, but it's weird they do it with her in both series but specifically do not give her the stock footage for activating it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The best use of SEED mode was probably Equalizer where Denzel checks his watch and then proceeds to murder six armed Russian mafia dudes with a bottle and a corkscrew in the space of half a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfNU6JfDN_c&t=347s

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 21, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Since Tamiya's and Mr Color Weathering dark brown and black are permanently sold out around here, I've tried out SMS Wash which seems to do fairly well and at half the price of the other two and actually being in stock. The only downside I've found is that it settles incredibly rapidly so the best option for me is to put some in a paint tray so I can stir it each time I reload the brush. if I reload from the bottle, it's usually settled to being useless within a few brush applications.

Has anyone used the Mr Color and Tamiya equivalents and do they suffer from the same effect?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Warmachine posted:

This is what makes it unique OP. It's that instead of checkboxing arbitrary VRMMO anime checkboxes, the whole 'team bonding and learning to work with each other' bit serves to inform how the characters will process their individual traumas and the bonds built there explain how 4 people who have never met and don't really like each other grow to like each other and develop a life long friendship that helps each of them move past their individual traumas and hangups and reach a kind of self-actualization through Gunpla.

If what you're arguing is that the immense amount of cheap shovelware out there poisons the well... then sure. But uh... that's literally anime and media in general right there. Companies will run a concept into the ground if they think they might be the special one to restart the money printer.

The argument is specifically that the first 10 episodes or so are a very basic and by-the-numbers execution of the "kids coming together to save the world/win a tournament" formula. You're not making an argument for the first 10 episodes here, you're still making an argument that what comes after those 10 episodes twists is better. By then, the tone and pacing have both changed, it's not relying on the formula anymore and it's effectively a different show. Again, no matter how good the second half may be, that doesn't make the first half of the show any less boring for people who aren't interested in a show that has the tone and pacing of a mid-tier season of Digimon.

Compare early ReRise to early Build Fighters. Would you really say that Hiroto and his pals have a dynamic on the level of Sei and Reiji? That any of them are as engaging or interesting as Tatsuya or Fellini from that early on? That show has similar tone, but is much more interesting because of its pacing.

Slow pacing isn't necessarily terrible either. Turn A Gundam is famous for how it slowly builds up momentum, but it's also constantly feeding you nuggets of setting information and deliberately focusing on politics from early on. The slow pacing is used to its advantage.

To clarify again: I don't think ReRise is a bad show, I just think it starts out mediocre before it gets good. There's an argument to be made that starting very tame and escalating like ReRise does is a better kind of introduction for new audiences, which I don't really agree with but I can at least understand.

fake edit: Actually spelling the last sentence out made me remember another show that is also a good comparison here. G-Witch recently proved that focusing on good drama then escalating into war crimes and child soldiers can get people who think Gundam is the same as transformers to buy plamo until the stock is sold out. So there you have a show that is both much more interesting from the beginning and executed the idea of luring in new audiences much more effectively.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1705039248888598837?t=jbmXcTw2COkbsYRp4YrwXQ&s=19

The Zaku is a Zaku but I'm still not sold on the Gundam.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No the Gundam is fuckin dogshit

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

G-Saviour looks better than I remember.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The fact that the director of this nonsense did a Warhammer 40K fan film previously is loving so obvious in that Gundam design lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It would be pretty funny if it was really good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
That really shows how deceptively hard it is to update the RX-78 while still keeping it the RX-78.

Out of all the protagonist Gundams it's probably the most 'military equipment'-looking, so it makes logical sense to lean towards that, but you go any further than what the base design already has going there and it just falls apart.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are a ton of good RX78 re imaginings, from the MKII to the Strike. The suit looks more like the GP01 honestly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

It would be pretty funny if it was really good.

Ehhhh. Thing is, while The Lord Inquisitor isn't the worst 40K fan animation it has a lot of the hallmarks of being made by someone who is great at 3D modeling and not much else. For the Gundam series I'm expecting a lot of "strike a pose" shots and little in the way of dynamic action choreography. A lot of slow pans so you can see how detailed the CGI models are and then serious uncanny valley vibes once they stop being statues and start moving.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Zaku is very well rendered, I will give it that, yes

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

both of those are like 85% of a pretty good design but some weird proportions and details make them look awful

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gaius Marius posted:

There are a ton of good RX78 re imaginings, from the MKII to the Strike. The suit looks more like the GP01 honestly.

Technically every protagonist Gundam is some form of RX-78 reimagining. I'm more looking at it from a perspective they probably are, of trying to update the RX-78 itself in a way that doesn't just turn out like 'a new protagonist Gundam'. You're absolutely right that it's coming out pretty close to the GP01 there, but also in a way that completely fails in ways that the GP01 doesn't. The RX-78 is both very military while also feeling somewhat heroic and toyetic (which, yeah, was absolutely the point); the GP01 goes a bit more military without losing that heroic vibe to it, while this goes even more militaristic while completely stripping out that heroic element.

This almost feels like it should be in the same family as the Titans' Mk II or the Psycho Gundam.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Spelling Mitsake posted:

G-Saviour looks better than I remember.

This looks worse than the G-Saviour does

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chrome line posted:

This looks worse than the G-Saviour does

You are not accurately remembering how weirdly skinny parts of the G-Saviour are.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Forget G-Saviour, the Gundam face is giving me big Power Rangers The Movie vibes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cleretic posted:

That really shows how deceptively hard it is to update the RX-78 while still keeping it the RX-78.

Out of all the protagonist Gundams it's probably the most 'military equipment'-looking, so it makes logical sense to lean towards that, but you go any further than what the base design already has going there and it just falls apart.

The Mk II would probably be my pick for that title. It's the original Gundam with less toyetic colors, a more detailed design, and more modularity in a "modifying military equipment" way rather than a "buy all of our playsets and toys" way.

The Ground Gundam is the other main contender, naturally enough, but something about the Mk. II makes it feel the more grounded of the two, despite it getting the Super Gundam gear.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol at the super long leg cables on the zaku

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Warhammer 40k fan film Gundam looks like a Master Grade that’s missing random armor parts.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

The Mk II would probably be my pick for that title. It's the original Gundam with less toyetic colors, a more detailed design, and more modularity in a "modifying military equipment" way rather than a "buy all of our playsets and toys" way.

The Ground Gundam is the other main contender, naturally enough, but something about the Mk. II makes it feel the more grounded of the two, despite it getting the Super Gundam gear.

Same thoughts here. I think my favorite part of the MkII's design is actually the vulcan pod, it's simultaneously a small thing but one that (thanks to the placement and coloring) sticks out and gives it a distinctive, asymmetric look. It's a flattering kind of unflattering detail.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

On a completely different note, the latest Mobile Suit Breakdown is about War Crimes, and three things stood out in memory.

One, Gene isn't a war criminal in the first episode of Gundam. He's just a guy doing his legally acceptable duties who had a run of bad luck.

Two, Amuro is a war criminal, thanks to the time he killed a Zeon soldier while the guy thought Amuro was a sick refugee. His mom still comes off bad, but to be fair, she was responding to a full on violation of the Geneva convention.

Three, Bright Noa found a cheat code for war crimes. See, nothing in the first episode of Gundam on the Federation side is illegal. Nations can forcibly conscript their own citizens, and anyone fifteen and up is a legitimate potential combatant. However, any war crimes committed by soldiers under eighteen aren't prosecutable, and if their commanding officers had no way to know they'd do it (like Bright not being able to keep Amuro from going off and doing his own thing half the time) then there's no-one legally liable. It's a great racket!

Alas, he flew too close to the sun in ZZ Gundam, since hiring Judau to pilot is a war crime. But at that point, Bright just didn't give a poo poo.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
Cheat Code for War Crimes would be a decent name for an album.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Two, Amuro is a war criminal, thanks to the time he killed a Zeon soldier while the guy thought Amuro was a sick refugee. His mom still comes off bad, but to be fair, she was responding to a full on violation of the Geneva convention.

This is cap, he was in uniform

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

This is cap, he was in uniform

Uniform hidden by a blanket, fired while still covered by the blanket.

War crime.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

One, Gene isn't a war criminal in the first episode of Gundam. He's just a guy doing his legally acceptable duties who had a run of bad luck.

Gene wasn't acting on legally acceptable duties because his orders were just to scout, and when Denim tried to stop him from attacking because it was outside their orders, Gene told him that he was emulating Char to make a name for himself. His actions were purely personal and driven entirely by ego, not orders. Which are not proof against war crimes anyway.

chiasaur11 posted:

War crime.

On the other hand, two soldiers were intimidating civilians by waving around machine guns and the one he just shot had hit his mother; he had a legitimate fear for not just his own life, but that of others around him. That is not a war crime; that's just protecting yourself. If anything, the Zeon soldiers threatening civilians in a hospital were the ones committing criminal acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

War crime.

Camouflage for the environment! No different than leaf covers for woodland concealment!