Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

azflyboy posted:

I heard that Doc was grounded for crossing the "foul line" on Saturday, but RARA agreed to let Miss America fly Sunday, if someone else was the pilot.

No clue whether it's true, but his flying was erratic enough, and there's enough history behind the airplane that it certainly sounds plausible.

I heard a few different things that all looked plausible from my viewpoint. Crossing the show line was one, another was that he may have cut, IIRC, Pylon 6 so badly he actually cut the sport class pylon.

The turn he did around pylon 7 lends credence to the latter story because it seemed like a lot more of a turn than anyone else on the course made and would have also set him up to cross the show line at the speed he was flying.

It was a real shame, too, because I was hoping somebody would give Bardahl a real challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Edit: AT&T sucks.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 23, 2023

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Advent Horizon posted:

I heard a few different things that all looked plausible from my viewpoint. Crossing the show line was one, another was that he may have cut, IIRC, Pylon 6 so badly he actually cut the sport class pylon.

The turn he did around pylon 7 lends credence to the latter story because it seemed like a lot more of a turn than anyone else on the course made and would have also set him up to cross the show line at the speed he was flying.

It was a real shame, too, because I was hoping somebody would give Bardahl a real challenge.

He definitely cut two pylons, so that would have been in addition to crossing the show line and the high flying, since there was a lap where he was *way* closer to the crowd than I've seen in all the times I've been there.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Been to the Malta Aviation Museum, which had a lot of good stuff (a small but well-formed museum). Happy to post more pics when I'm on a better Internet connection, but here's something that's both aviation and automotive:

A Pou de Ciel with a Citroen 2CV engine for power.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
looks at the bungee cords the front wings an stabilator canard, isn’t it?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ardeem posted:

looks at the bungee cords the front wings an stabilator canard, isn’t it?

Yeah, the Flying Fleas have exactly two control surfaces, both of which are all-moving: the entire front wing (pitch, sort of) and the rudder (yaw). The only way to influence roll is through yaw-roll coupling.

Early Flea designs made without the benefit of wind tunnel testing had a nasty aerodynamic coffin corner: under some circumstances (including just setting up to land), attempting to pitch down would cause a runaway behavior where interactions between the front and rear wings kept pushing the nose further and further down. The pilot didn't have enough pitch authority to counter this, so that's it, you're gonna die, sorry.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
anyone remember this?

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023

This looks like a perpetual motion machine scam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bet the F-35 in that configuration is burning fuel faster than it can take it on.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Prediction: in the next 10 years there will be at least one crash caused by the refueling drogue getting sucked into the lift fan

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

FuturePastNow posted:

Prediction: in the next 10 years there will be at least one crash caused by the refueling drogue getting sucked into the lift fan

I dunno, seems like a stunt. Ospreys have refuelled hornets, don't know why you would do it in a hover other than to show that you can.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Xakura posted:

I dunno, seems like a stunt. Ospreys have refuelled hornets, don't know why you would do it in a hover other than to show that you can.

When all you have is an Osprey, everything looks like a S/VTOL tasking

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

This is just the Marines doing Marine things. VTOL EVERYTHING!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Osprey is really cool. It’s a real shame about literally every aspect of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

I bet the F-35 in that configuration is burning fuel faster than it can take it on.

At afterburner? You betcha.

it's not a real pic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

it's not a real pic

Clearly it’s an RFP :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Ospreys CAN refuel other aircraft, it's just not doing it in that photo. That's not where the drogue comes from, and obviously an F-35 isn't rocking afterburner in a semi-hover(?) mode at a couple thousand feet.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

full afterburner vtol would rule

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Cactus Ghost posted:

full afterburner vtol would rule

Just point it straight down, that'll get you off the ground real quick.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

EasilyConfused posted:

Just point it straight down, that'll get you off the ground real quick.

We call this maneuver the pugachev backflip

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

A takeoff worthy of entry to STOVL’kor.

Today is a good day to fly.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 25, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wouldn't it be a front flip

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canadian-air-force-investigating-inappropriate-and-unapproved-call-sign-broadcast-on-u-k-flight-1.6576905

quote:

The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) is investigating an ‘inappropriate and unapproved’ call sign that was transmitted electronically from one of its aircraft on Monday.

RCAF identifiers, otherwise known as call signs, contain four letters and two numbers. They are assigned to pilots and usually remain unchanged, but on Monday it appeared one was tweaked when a CF-18 Hornet on a flight in the United Kingdom was broadcast globally as ‘D*CK69.’
:lol:
What a lost opportunity for graphic flight path.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

that ought to make for some hilarious memos

dick, often used as vulgar slang for the male genetalia, and the number 69, itself slang for a sex act in which two partners simultaneously perform oral sex on one another. this review board considers use of such vulgar slang in official correspondence detrimental to the image of the Royal Canadian Air Force

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cactus Ghost posted:

that ought to make for some hilarious memos

dick, often used as vulgar slang for the male genetalia, and the number 69, itself slang for a sex act in which two partners simultaneously perform oral sex on one another. this review board considers use of such vulgar slang in official correspondence detrimental to the image of the Royal Canadian Air Force

This, but also in French.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PhotoKirk posted:

This, but also in French.

Don't you mean the problem is that they failed to provide a French version?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

OddObserver posted:

Don't you mean the problem is that they failed to provide a French version?

Oui.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

bite soixante-neuf

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cactus Ghost posted:

bite soixante-neuf

bon

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

can't have a funny nickname lest the flight officer laugh while on radio and we accidentally bomb the wrong wedding.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

there's an addendum only in the french version noting that sixty-nine as slang for the aforementioned sex act entered the english language as a direct translation from french, who originated the term. (because they have more sex than anglophones)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
"We train young men to drop fire on people... but their commanders won't allow them to squawk 69 on their transponders because it's obscene!"

vessbot fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 2, 2023

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Advent Horizon posted:

This deserves recognizing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Advent Horizon posted:

:allears:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cactus Ghost posted:

bite soixante-neuf

Tres bien

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Don’t forget the literal nazi they had show up and applaud the other day.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Warbird posted:

Don’t forget the literal nazi they had show up and applaud the other day.

Don't worry, I still remember the first part of a two picture meme by the time I get to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh gently caress me, I registered that as “Canadian gov ignores veteran needs” for whatever reason. Probs because the US gov happily does that all the time.