Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like all of the videos tbh, they all have really funny stuff in them. A ton of excellent Kotaku videos, too. But the trend now towards genuinely excellent and affecting prose and stronger thematic material on top of the humour and analysis is something I definitely support. There are a lot of people who do humour and analysis in a way that at least approaches Tim’s level of quality, as mentioned earlier, even if of course none of those have his specific unique style. But if you want that just go to the Goblin Bunker and search for messages by him because he types like that basically all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

General Dog posted:

The FF7RM review is worth it for the single line: “How about we stop talking about how large Tifa’s breasts are and start talking about how small her materia slots are?”

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The FF7R vid is the only one I've watched multiple times.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My favorite is the Doom one, as I also spent some years as a Doom poseur

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would not let Ms. Pacman kill me.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

“19 unread posts in the tim thread? Surely a new video came out today”

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dijkstracula posted:

buddy

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

<baron_of_heck_taking_damage_sound.wav>

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
first of all, it's not Sunday

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCwZCjXzTEA

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The FF7R vid is the only one I've watched multiple times.

:thunk:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Dijkstracula posted:

Oops!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dijkstracula posted:

Bingo

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

This thread is performance art to me

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
most of Tim's videos have transcripts but his tokimeki memorial one and pacman don't so I only added the only buddy I remembered in toki cause I have the script on hand

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The real video was the friends we made along the way

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Honestly I'm disappointed none of you amerigoons have gone to see Tim do stand-up (nor provided a recording!)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Buddy, if I want meandering confessionals from nerdy white dudes in their 40s, I can get all I need in these here forums.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Hello.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
And welcome to Video Games.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Angryhead posted:

Honestly I'm disappointed none of you amerigoons have gone to see Tim do stand-up (nor provided a recording!)

Ivory tower liberals from new york city never come to real america on their anti capitalist "comedy" tours

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

Ivory tower liberals from new york city never come to real america on their anti capitalist "comedy" tours

I figured Tim would be down-to-earth enough to come to Kansas or Indianapolis for a show.

Hell I'd make the 2 hour drive to Indy.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
Obviously everyone here loves Tim's videos, but has anyone else read all of Tim's essays?

https://medium.com/@108
http://largeprimenumbers.com/

What We Might Mean When We Say a Clock is Wrong is an ideal starting point if you're in the mindset for serious subject matter, followed by just like hamburger; exactly like hamburger.

If you prefer lighter fare, I recommend the eleven most boring conversations i can’t stop overhearing and the blender who would recite shakespeare.

I am only moderately sorry for bumping the thread.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tim can write cuss words??!?!?!?!!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the pac man video is actuuaaaally pretty good. its OK to like the pac man video

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
The Pac Man video was the first of Tim's I'd watched. I liked it so much I went on to binge all his other videos, as much as one can, over the next few weeks. It is a very good video.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i think the cyberpunk review is down there with the ff7r. in spite of the production ( i mean... talking about the production he's out of focus like half the time! but maybe thats a glitch joke i dont know) it's just the wrong game! thats why he spends so long in the beginning talking about how much he didnt want to do the review, all the other games he wished he reviewed instead..

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

like is it a good joke that while he's talking about shooing himself with 8k red hobbit cameras during the graphics segment in a video about a game with cutting edge graphics but riddled with bugs.. i guess its a good joke!! but that video just doesnt have the like... power. of the others

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and i think like.. disregarding the presentation and the form, if you JUST want to learn about trends in modern AAA game design, the FF7R video is a better one for that than cyberpunk

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I enjoy Tim's insights and anecdotes that are only tangentially related to the subject game far more than his discussion of the content of the game itself. Typically he balances those pretty well, but there are definitely parts of the Cyberpunk 2077 review that are far more interesting to me than others.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mia Wasikowska posted:

the pac man video is actuuaaaally pretty good. its OK to like the pac man video

u know what, i'll give it another shot. i just don't care about pacman and don't have any feeling about it

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i just want the sweet "Buddy" juice

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

ziasquinn posted:

i just want the sweet "Buddy" juice

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I actually have never watched his The Last of Us review because I've been telling myself for at least 10 years now that I'll actually finish the game (and have bought it for PS3 and 4)... but I just don't like FPS games all that much and get bored pretty quick, as much as I've wanted to follow the story. May as well just call it a wash and just watch the video so I never have to play it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
good news, it's a third-person shooter

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the pac-man and doom videos are probably my favorite. the last of us one is probably the one i like the least, though the last of us is also the game i like the least of those reviewed so it fits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
My favourites are the ones on Japanese games I've never played like Tokimeki Memorial and Boku no Natsuyasumi, because they're an interesting view into parts of video game history that we just never hear about in the english-speaking world. (The Pac Man video is an honourary member of this group due to the Libble Rabble discussion)

Compare to somehting like the Doom review, where the personal anecdotes are still entertaining, but there was nothing new he could possibly tell me about the game itself.