Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have paid for parking at hotels many times, which does suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Today I tried to use an American Express gift card (prepaid debit) I've had laying around for a while. I found out pretty quickly that online stores basically won't touch it, and some brick and mortar places might not either! Neato!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Today I tried to use an American Express gift card (prepaid debit) I've had laying around for a while. I found out pretty quickly that online stores basically won't touch it, and some brick and mortar places might not either! Neato!

Use it to add money to your Amazon account. That's what I do with all of those things now.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

"Lots of places don't take American Express" has been a thing since at least the 80s.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

"Lots of places don't take American Express" has been a thing since at least the 80s.

The only time I ever hear about American Express is from jokes about it or from signs in a shop saying they don't accept it.

As far as I can tell it only exists so people can make jokes about how much it sucks.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

dr_rat posted:

The only time I ever hear about American Express is from jokes about it or from signs in a shop saying they don't accept it.

As far as I can tell it only exists so people can make jokes about how much it sucks.

Don't doxx me

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I don't know if it's changed, but the reason for that (at least 20 years ago) was that Visa/MC charged 3% for stores to be able to use a cc to purchase. That's why on some old gas stations you see the credit price is higher.

So basically if I buy something from a store that costs $100 with my visa, the store gets $97 of it.

AmEx was at 5 or 6% which is why a lot of places didn't take it.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

dr_rat posted:

Dude amex has a card that gets you 6% back on groceries it exists to gently caress the places you spend your money.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

AmEx is mostly for rich people. It's good for copping free reward points on your business flights, buying gold watches (free insurance on every purchase), etc.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The fact that the prepaid debit card is an Amex is irrelevant to the anecdote; Visa prepaid debit cards are just as janky to try to cash out. This is why scammers are always asking people to pay with iTunes gift cards instead of debit cards with actual money on them.

The random stores that don't take Amex at all are rare at this point, largely because all the small businesses that used to refuse to take it use Square now. I have a Visa in my wallet for Costco, but I only use it for something else like once a year.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I found a small cache of gift cards I bought a while ago. The Target ones were good. The Facebook ones, well, are not. Mom used to play Farmville loving hardcore. Now I got $50 of plastic that I can't even get off with.

Maybe I can tape them together and use them to scrape my windshield come winter.

poo poo thing: loving videos that play on the gas station pumps, or in stores where all it does is show various poo poo with smiling customers and corporate buzzwords. At least show me some abstract old school Windows screensavers, those would be more entertaining!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Cerekk posted:

The fact that the prepaid debit card is an Amex is irrelevant to the anecdote; Visa prepaid debit cards are just as janky to try to cash out. This is why scammers are always asking people to pay with iTunes gift cards instead of debit cards with actual money on them.

The random stores that don't take Amex at all are rare at this point, largely because all the small businesses that used to refuse to take it use Square now. I have a Visa in my wallet for Costco, but I only use it for something else like once a year.

You can use prepaid cards to charge a privacy.com account and then they’re accepted many more places.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Internet Old One posted:

You can use prepaid cards to charge a privacy.com account and then they’re accepted many more places.

There are also sites that buy gift cards for like 95% of their value, I use them every time I get an Amazon or Starbucks gift card.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Amazon just announced that prime video is gonna start having ads next year unless you pay an extra 3 bucks a month.

https://www.engadget.com/amazons-prime-video-will-show-ads-unless-you-pay-3-more-per-month-111709384.html?src=rss&guccounter=1

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Revenue must always go up.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Cowslips Warren posted:

poo poo thing: loving videos that play on the gas station pumps, or in stores where all it does is show various poo poo with smiling customers and corporate buzzwords. At least show me some abstract old school Windows screensavers, those would be more entertaining!

Pro tip for the gas pumps--the 2nd or 3rd button down on the right side of the screen will mute these. I carry a sharpie to write mute next to them when I'm at a station that has them because that's how I found out about the trick.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Waste of Breath posted:

Pro tip for the gas pumps--the 2nd or 3rd button down on the right side of the screen will mute these. I carry a sharpie to write mute next to them when I'm at a station that has them because that's how I found out about the trick.

Doing the lord's work. Thank you for your service.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

I have paid for parking at hotels many times, which does suck.

The garage parking at the Omni Parker was $58 a night lmao.

We parked 2 blocks away at Pie Alley for $23.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Modal Auxiliary posted:

There are also sites that buy gift cards for like 95% of their value, I use them every time I get an Amazon or Starbucks gift card.

Trade grandma’s kohls gift card for g2o cash and then use it to buy a botnet. Untracable crime.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

My old stomping grounds! I worked right there for 10 years.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Hotels can't charge you arbitrary bullshit fees if you pay for the booking online with a single use burner card number. I'm not going to steal poo poo or make a mess but if you want to charge me $20 for using a towel you can go gently caress yourself.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
im pretty sure virtual cards are still linked to you some how. unless you mean like buy a visa or master card with just enough for the balance.

also its kinda surprising seeing goons support hotels when airBnB/etc seem to be dominating. what do you users also still uses local taxi services?

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
If you're traveling alone or as a couple, AirBNB is more expensive and a shittier experience than a traditional hotel. It's unethical no matter your group size, but I won't pretend I don't bend my morals when traveling with a big group.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PhazonLink posted:

im pretty sure virtual cards are still linked to you some how. unless you mean like buy a visa or master card with just enough for the balance.

also its kinda surprising seeing goons support hotels when airBnB/etc seem to be dominating. what do you users also still uses local taxi services?

Those prepaid cards are really hit and miss and if it's for a damage deposit for a hotel or a rental car, I'd bet they won't let you use one.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

All of the AirBNBs near me are things like $700 a night to stay in an RV parked in some guy's barn. The only explanation I can think of is that nobody actually stays in them and it's all for money laundering.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I did 3 monthly trips to Vancouver a couple years back for work and the first two airBNBs were so lovely an experience that I was THRILLED to stay in a crappy Travelodge for the third one. Either the guy who booked us didn't notice things like "the one bathroom is shared with all 6 of the airBNB suites we've partitioned our lovely house into" or just didn't give a poo poo because it wasn't him who had to live with it for a week.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Armacham posted:

Use it to add money to your Amazon account. That's what I do with all of those things now.

You can't do it with these anymore as of just a few months ago, lol

Internet Old One posted:

Just tried to set one up; they only take Visa & Mastercard. Thanks anyway!

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
You can add it to PayPal, then use PayPal bill pay to pay your power bill or something.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

You can't do it with these anymore as of just a few months ago, lol

Just tried to set one up; they only take Visa & Mastercard. Thanks anyway!

Lmao well there goes that life hack

naem
May 29, 2011

Van™️©️ Life©️™️©️ used to be a wacky fun alternative thing you could do temporarily and make a youtube™️©️©️™️ channel to document it because of what a free spirit you are

then it became “I can’t afford rent” and now it’s “vans cost $200k and you poop in a bucket”

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

dr_rat posted:

My first job's corporate card was amex. More places accepted it than you'd think. It only became a problem when I worked outside of north america.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bossy lady posted:

My first job's corporate card was amex. More places accepted it than you'd think. It only became a problem when I worked outside of north america.

there was a whole period of time where Kroger wasn't accepting Amex over a corporate dispute, then they accepted Amex and didn't accept Visa over a corporate dispute.
I never cared about not being able to use amex at 60% of the grocery stores in town because I don't have an amex, but when that became Visa it was a real fuckin pain in the rear end.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
For a while I worked adjacent to some people whose corporate card was Diner's Club, which, lmao

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Handsome Ralph posted:

Amazon just announced that prime video is gonna start having ads next year unless you pay an extra 3 bucks a month.

https://www.engadget.com/amazons-prime-video-will-show-ads-unless-you-pay-3-more-per-month-111709384.html?src=rss&guccounter=1

They’re going to have to actually produce something I’d be willing to watch first except for Jury Duty, which was very good

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

leaving your car in pie alley could get sticky

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cerekk posted:

For a while I worked adjacent to some people whose corporate card was Diner's Club, which, lmao

Card of the people

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

naem posted:

Van™️©️ Life©️™️©️ used to be a wacky fun alternative thing you could do temporarily and make a youtube™️©️©️™️ channel to document it because of what a free spirit you are

then it became “I can’t afford rent” and now it’s “vans cost $200k and you poop in a bucket”

the climbing bros i know who drive around to climb rocks around the continent definitely didnt pay 200k for their janky hobomobile

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Rock climbers are surfer bros?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Didnt Amex used to be the one that did Costco's credit card, but then they got greedy and ooppps Costco switched to with Mastercard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I remember exchanging American Express Checks in various European offices.