Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Real talk:
How many of you have bested Mount Everest?

Got any millionaire Climbers here?

I did base camp this year but I don't make climbing attempt money yet. If I do within the next 10 or so years I might try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

By most accounts Gordon Ramsay is actually a really nice guy and only gets pissed at people who rightly deserve it. Really good sense of humour too.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I did base camp this year but I don't make climbing attempt money yet. If I do within the next 10 or so years I might try.

In the history of goon projects this checks out for being life endangering for yourself and multiple others

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

orange juche posted:

By most accounts Gordon Ramsay is actually a really nice guy and only gets pissed at people who rightly deserve it. Really good sense of humour too.

In the history of goon projects this checks out for being life endangering for yourself and multiple others

Base Camp, or the whole thing?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For that kind of money and that amount of risk I can think of way tf cooler objectives than an 8000m peak. These people have zero creativity

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zarin posted:

Base Camp, or the whole thing?

Ice Poseidon probably got close to killing himself via stupidity hauling rear end to base camp without acclimatizing (you can give yourself HAPE as low as 8200 feet if you ascend fast enough with no rest), and he definitely was progressing towards having a life-threatening case of PE from being a dumbass. He was showing 3 of the 4 hallmark signs of PE, and probably was showing all 4 but blue skin is a bit hard to verify via twitch stream.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 10, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
There was a point in that stream where I had to stop watching because he was shambling on a mountain path, highly unstable, and kept almost walking off a cliff without even noticing. There were so many ways he could have ended up dead or seriously injured on that trip.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

orange juche posted:

Ice Poseidon probably got close to killing himself via stupidity hauling rear end to base camp without acclimatizing (you can give yourself HAPE as low as 8200 feet if you ascend fast enough with no rest), and he definitely was progressing towards having a life-threatening case of PE from being a dumbass. He was showing 3 of the 4 hallmark signs of PE, and probably was showing all 4 but blue skin is a bit hard to verify via twitch stream.

Yeah but I really want to believe that Average Goon is, like, at least 10x smarter than Ice Poseidon so I feel like given that parameter, our Goon friend here was perfectly safe.

Willing to be wrong, of course, but not feeling compelled to be just yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The average goon isn't doing a subathon that requires them to keep streaming to keep getting more subs to keep streaming.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ok i missed this. where can i watch the goon Basecamp trek stream archive?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Outrail posted:

Fishing for trout and trying to stay dry while staving off boredom?

Isn’t that just a normal weekend in a British summer?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zarin posted:

Yeah but I really want to believe that Average Goon is, like, at least 10x smarter than Ice Poseidon so I feel like given that parameter, our Goon friend here was perfectly safe.

Willing to be wrong, of course, but not feeling compelled to be just yet.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3123495

Ehehe, how about the goon who bought a plot of land in hawaii and convinced a bunch of goons to come be slave labor on his plantation

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Varkk posted:

Isn’t that just a normal weekend in a British summer?

I didn't fish when I lived in Britain, but otherwise yeah.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Outrail posted:

I didn't fish when I lived in Britain, but otherwise yeah.

I heard that people in Britain fish for carp and then don't even eat them. Gross.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
carps is just bones

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
all fish has got bones in, they lie to you

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

HopperUK posted:

my uncle works at the nintendo factory where they put the bones in the fish before they ship them to the fish stores and waterways

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chondrichthyes got only teeth and cartilage, no bones. That includes all the sharks for example.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HopperUK posted:

Looks like someone's never heard of Jellyfish. :colbert:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Or Swedish fish :colbert:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
buncha fish experts eh

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hey I resent that, I'm a jelly expert. :colbert:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
No it's all bones I'm telling you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
That's not what the x-rays say!

Yep, Jelly and x-ray expert that's me.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

orange juche posted:

n the history of goon projects this checks out for being life endangering for yourself and multiple others

I went super reputable American guide service, they have a network of Sherpas as trail and mountain guides they have worked with for 10+ seasons and pay very well, as well as American and Argentinian guides leading. I was classically goon slow as gently caress (275lb at the start of the trip) but I made it. Monitored vitals at every stop, built in rest days, trail guide with me 99% of the time who literally showed me where to step at some points to avoid danger as much as possible. All up with flights/gear/spending money/tip cost around $10k. I'm dipping my feet into actually going up mountains and technical climbing next year on Mount Rainier and Mount Baker in WA with them.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
The other day I told my wife I was planning on making a model of Everest
She asked me. "Is it to scale?"
I said, no it's to look at

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Ayyyy

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
sup ghouls

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

DPM posted:

The other day I told my wife I was planning on making a model of Everest
She asked me. "Is it to scale?"
I said, no it's to look at

leeloo multiquote

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

This just got posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT-VO1uRanM

Climbing Expert Breaks Down All The Ways Mt. Everest Can Kill You | WIRED

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

basicblack posted:

This just got posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT-VO1uRanM

Climbing Expert Breaks Down All The Ways Mt. Everest Can Kill You | WIRED

That pressure bag thing is insane

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I want that 3D model of Everest.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I want that 3D model of Everest.

Is it to scale?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beachcomber posted:

Is it to scale?

No, it's to look at.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
:golfclap:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Godddamn! :golfclap:

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Thanks fellow goons, I've had a really bad couple of days at work and I needed that laugh just now.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, it's to look at.

:yeah:

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, it's to look at.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, it's to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Mount Everest: No, it's to look at.