Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

[41/f] Am i wrong for confronting my Reclusive Neighbor (About 35/M)?

A neighbor who you never see or even hear unless you get close? Better steal his mail, trespass on his property, and harass his dog, that will make him fit in with the neighborhood better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Those kids deserve federal prison time for mail tampering

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Foo Diddley posted:

really thought it was going to be more like, "this thread count is BULLSHIT. i'm leaving"

anyway, OP should just tell him his funko pops or his video games or legos or whatever are childish

Call all his action figures/Funko toys "dolls" & watch the meltdown

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA because I don't want to keep supporting my adult kids who make bad decisions?

quote:

I am a single mom to 4 kids aged 28, 22, 18 and 17.

My oldest got a girl pregnant when he was 18 which resulted in a child(F10)

I'm not going to go into details about our relationship however I kust say that my son was nc with me for the last 10 years because I chose not to support his decision to keep the baby and run his own life. He was a very smart boy who was going to become a lawyer but now he is just a chef because he couldn't go to college.

We tried to fix our relationship a few months ago I met the kid for the first time and she was extremely rude and spoiled, I didn't approve of his parenting which resulted in him going NC again however it turns out I have been supporting him al along.

You see my youngest kids still lived at home and I financially supported them so they could focus on their studies but for some unknown reason they insisted on having part time jobs.

Now I know why, they have been giving most of their money to my oldest.

My oldest has a job and can take care of himself and his daughter but my younger kids have been spoiling her by giving her unnecessary things like new phones or helping him put her in a better school.

When I found out I was fuming and told them I'm done supporting them. They went behind my back and used me for my money. This resulted in a fight and my 22 and 18 yo moved in with my oldest.

Am I wrong for not wanting to keep supporting them when they used me like that?

OP posted:

I didn't mean that being a chef is bad but he is not even a good chef. He is no Gordon Ramsey. He just works in a local restaurant

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bet his rear end could beat Bobby Flay though

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If my son was Gordon Ramsey, I'd probably go nc with him tbh

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA because I don't want to keep supporting my adult kids who make bad decisions?

Despite my best efforts, I raised a family that loves and supports each other, AITA?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Am I (31F) being controlling to my (35M) bf’s phone/pc?

quote:

Me and my boyfriend of one year have been having heated arguments lately and I want to know if I’m in the wrong.

Our arguments stem from him being unable to leave his phone/pc and be in the moment, ever.

He wakes up, takes his phone and goes to his pc. He works until 5, in which time he scrolls twitter and reddit unless he is in meetings. After work he stays on his pc doing the same until he goes to bed. In bed he continues scrolling twitter for an hour and falls asleep listening to YouTube videos.

Rinse, repeat, every single day.

If we’re having a date, he will get a news/twitter notification and scroll through his phone. There isn’t a time where we actually talk/connect and every free second he has he will try to fill with twitter. If he cooks or cleans or falls asleep - YouTube.

We’re planning a 2 day trip to my country and I asked if we could focus on spending time with us and not interact with our phones. He says that I’m controlling and that if he wants to text his friends in those two days he will. He texts his friends all the time, and I honestly don’t understand why we can’t have a two day getaway where we focus on real life experiences instead of reading group texts that can wait.

I need some outside perspective, if I’m with my bf and my friends text me, I wait until the next day to interact with them and my friends do the same when they are on dates. I told him that for one year we haven’t had one day where we spent it having sex and getting up for food, he said he would still check what his friends wrote between sessions because it isn’t a big deal.

What are your thoughts?

normally it's pretty rude to break up with someone via text message, but

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

Am I (31F) being controlling to my (35M) bf’s phone/pc?

normally it's pretty rude to break up with someone via text message, but

I misread the part about going on a date as needing a twitter notification to alert him to that, and I feel like that would be a fitting way to announce it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Try being more interesting than YouTube and Twitter I guess

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Imagine worshipping a deity so weak that a middle class family can pay to defeat it.

new idea. theme park where you pay to fight diety mascots.

snergle fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 22, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

AITA for not bringing my friend to fight night when she hates fighting?

Hi I'm posting from the past of one month ago to say I just read this story and it's already reached the level of "Zoltar (fake name)," dog heelies, and soup tubes of posts I'll never not think about.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

snergle posted:

no idea. theme park where you pay to fight diety mascots.

standin in line for an hour and payin fifty bux just to get your rear end whipped by a guy wearing a giant foam zeus head. whole family's watching you, all like "great vacation idea, dad. this is so much better than disney"

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Foo Diddley posted:

standin in line for an hour and payin fifty bux just to get your rear end whipped by a guy wearing a giant foam zeus head. whole family's watching you, all like "great vacation idea, dad. this is so much better than disney"

thors foam hammer chiped my teeth but i won

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

Most kids hate bedtime and love attention.
hell

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Sekenr posted:

Its not that crazy, when learning english in school we also had "english" versions of names. Except for those who had no english equivalent, than its just normal name with english accent :D

They said your name slowly and very loudly?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Completely unrelated from that however:

"My son (9) entered himself in the school talent show wanting to name every single iPhone ever made...."

UPDATE:

Is the best post we've seen all week.

drat

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

VotGs posted:

It's this, mostly. For immersion courses, it supposedly helps you immerse yourself better. Dunno if that's true, but what IS true is that the US military does the same thing in linguist training courses. For 63 weeks, I was Cha Eun-hye, because Korean names are usually three syllables, and writing my American name out takes about ten. Using my Korean name and using my classmates' Korean names helped us get used to the structure of the language, and it helped familiarize us with normal Korean names. It was pretty cool to be granted a name by my teachers--the surname matches the first syllable of my surname at the time, and the forename was close to the meaning of my American name. I don't remember off hand, but I'm pretty sure that if you really didn't care for the name they gave you, you could change it, they'd just help you pick an 'appropriate' Korean name.

Some of y'all are getting excessive at claiming it's completely off the wall or whatever. Sometimes, especially in immersion courses, pretending to be someone else can lessen anxiety and increase learning. For instance, I had a very boring personal life, so every time the teachers asked me what I did over the weekend, I'd likely be repeating the same thing and learning nothing. Cha Eun-hye, however, did a lot of weird things on her weekends, and it was fun to stretch my abilities with the language and surprise or amuse my teachers or classmates. It was a great way to delineate the line between what was about me, and what was linguistic learning games.

It's not cool to force it on kids, but when properly done, it's supposed to be fun and part of the play-acting for the dumb dumb DUMB conversations you practice from the textbook.

Oh hey, I've got a buddy in the Army that did Korean at the DLIFLC and has been stationed in Korea for a while now. I remember that he was pretty stoked when his teachers gave him his Korean name, though I have no idea if he uses it with the locals.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Horrible Reddit Mom posted:

ADHD? I dont buy into that scam. That's just some bullshit so doctors can get money by drugging up our kids.

Its called BEING A KID.

Horrible Reddit Mom posted:

Nope. My kids are both allergic to peanuts, but before they had their vaccines they ate the hell out of peanuts and never got sick.

Oof.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

"ADHD is a scam" is one I hadn't heard before, holy moly

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Straight out of 2001

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It’s a deep cut from the late nineties.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A perfect response to some lovely, low-grade racism

AITA for telling one of my daughters classmates moms to gently caress off about what I put in my daughters lunch?

quote:

For some context before the story, I (38f) cook asian foods regularly for dinner and for my daughter, Lily’s (7f) lunches at school. This is because my family enjoys these foods, I like to cook these foods, and my mom cooked a bunch of these foods growing up since she’s half Japanese.

Often times I’ll either give my daughter some leftovers from last nights dinner, plus a fruit/veggie and a snack, or I’ll make her a quick little bento box or some other thing really quick.

So, after school one day, my daughter wanted to play on the playground for a bit before we went home. I said she could play for a few minutes, and she ran off to play. I was waiting next to this other parent, who we’ll call Debra. While I was waiting, Debra came up to me.

Debra: Are you Lily’s mother?

Me: Oh, yeah, I am, why?

Debra: Well, your daughter’s lunches have been bothering my son, and I would like to ask you to pack something else.

Me: What? How are they bothering him?

She then proceeded to start talking about how her son was complaining about my daughters lunches smelling terrible, and that he thought it was disgusting. She also said her son didn’t eat most of his lunch because he was so grossed out.

Me: Okay…I understand your son doesn’t like the smell, but can’t he just sit somewhere else?

Debra: Are you kidding me? My son shouldn’t have to put up with whatever crap you make your daughter bring to this school. It’s disgusting!

And she started making more vaguely racist complaints, but I was fed up at this point.

Me: Listen, I understand your son might not like my daughters food, but he can very easily just not sit next to her. I’m not changing what’s in my daughters lunches because you and your kid don’t want to exist near Asian food. gently caress off.

She angrily stomped off with her kid then, and my daughter finished playing soon after, so we went home.

I talked to my husband about it, and he said that maybe I shouldn’t have told her to gently caress off, to avoid her bothering us in the future. AITA?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Christ, there's "being a kid" and there's "chasing a hyperactive ADHD 7yo kid who escaped from paeds outpatients and has run halfway across the hospital and god, I hope he gets bored and comes back because it'll look bad for a 198cm tall male nurse carrying a struggling small child over his shoulder through the main corridor."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She's not the rear end in a top hat but she shouldn't have said gently caress off. That's only gonna cause yourself more problems.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for getting upset when my bf judged my taste in bed sheets?

What a lovely, boring, awful person. I never understand why people end up with partners who try and dim their light or make them small. And if you aren't into wacky or zany or whatever, why would you date people like that? See the stories about the teacher who dressed like Ms. Frizzle, the person with the cool socks their partner threw out, the lady who dressed like the Six Flags old man, etc. Just set those people free and find someone who is as boring as yourself.

I wanted a new comforter for our bed, and suggested to my husband that we should get something like dinosaurs or spaceships whatever. We ended up getting this space-themed duvet cover set and it's awesome.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She's not the rear end in a top hat but she shouldn't have said gently caress off. That's only gonna cause yourself more problems.

Nah the less you give racists social niceties the more they stop being racist scum, tell them to gently caress off forever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Total Meatlove posted:

Nah the less you give racists social niceties the more they stop being racist scum, tell them to gently caress off forever.

I'm not saying give social niceties, but having dealt with a lot of people like that telling someone to gently caress off there's a greater than 50% chance they are going to disproportionally retaliate, and the systems in place like school administration are going to defer to the racist.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Total Meatlove posted:

This

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Sometimes you don't merely want them to go away, you want them to gently caress off.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Counterpoint, gently caress that racist shithead. Don't be racist if you don't want to be told to gently caress off

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Telling the lovely person to gently caress off isn't morally wrong, but may be a tactical error.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

selec posted:

I dunno, but they started a German program years later, second language program we ever had, and they did it for that too. It makes sense to me: you’re doing a bit of immersion, and language isn’t just about learning different words and syntax, the best language classes, especially for high school or younger, are also communicating cultural information.

If this sounds hippie-dippy to people I dunno what to say. Maybe we had a teacher who just really leaned into it, but it made sense to us, and this was in the context of a small midwestern town of like 3000 people that was 30-40% Latino when I was growing up and is now like 65% Latino and just does full bilingual education for k12. You can’t really not lean into the cultural side of language learning in an environment like that if you want to do anything resembling a decent job.

i learned german in hs to i took 3 years of it and they never did the name thing but they did do the no english except for a few things outside of the first two weeks of german1. if you were in trouble or general admin stuff in the begining or end of the class

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

snergle posted:

i learned german in hs to i took 3 years of it and they never did the name thing but they did do the no english except for a few things outside of the first two weeks of german1. if you were in trouble or general admin stuff in the begining or end of the class

Yeah, whatever, Ludwig.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Oh no she was too mean to the racist

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Straight out of 2001

My wife didn't believe ADHD wasn't real until she met me. Then that opinion changed rapidly

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Defiance Industries posted:

Oh no she was too mean to the racist

She was morally in the right with how mean she was, but that doesn't make it a good idea

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
My grandparents are second generation immigrants in the United States, fluent in both Spanish and English. Both about 90 years of age. I had never really thought much about it prior to this, but they alter the names of family members to fit the language they are currently speaking. My cousin is Juan Antonio if they're speaking Spanish and John Anthony if they're speaking English, for example.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I got a new name at the immigration office, but it sucks, so I go by a third different name. I call them my legal name and illegal name. I would still complain if I was called Pierre for six years of French class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get why some language teachers do the whole change your name into a [language] version of it but that’s not really how names work lol. Something more appropriate would be to just change the pronunciation instead of the entire name itself.

Like instead of forcing some kid named Matthew to go by “Matthias” in German class, which is a different name, you could just call them Matthew but with a more german pronunciation. Idk, instead of “math-ew” you’d prolly pronounce it more like “mat-you”. Same name, but it’s more similar to how the German passport checker would say your name when they read your passport and flip through to look at every single stamp you have.

I have been on the opposite side of this. As in I am an ESL teacher, and I know some teachers who will make a Chinese kid called "Li Cheng" go by "William" in class, because it's easier for the teacher to pronounce.

(They can sometimes tart it up with less racist explanations of "it helps acclimatize the kids into learning Western culture" and "It helps with the kids pronunciation of the different sounds in English as opposed to their native language" ... but that's bullshit and they are lazy racists.)

Personally I don't do it, because as the guest in the country, it is on me to learn how to pronounce relatively simple Mandarin names. And also, as a teacher, it endears me more to my kids if I am calling them by their actual name instead of some bullshit made uo "Steven" or "Tanya" that they have no connection to.