Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Mr. Neutron posted:

The game has an excellent tutorial that teaches and explains everything you want to know and more.

Just sayin'.

I am working my way through that. I also suck at getting the combos.

Liu Kang has been my go-to. He seems to be pretty good for beginners. General Shao is fun too, though the stance mechanics mean there’s more to learn. Tanya also seems crazy with how much range she has, but I’ve never been very interested in zoning characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Are there any tricks for making enhancement easier? I cannot seem to get my head around the timing of the button presses

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Regrettable posted:

D-Pad is generally easier for NRS games, yeah.

I find the XBONE Dpad to be complete rear end

Much better time on ps4/5 controller so far

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 22, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

I am stuck on the 3rd combo for every character in the tutorial

:negative:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Panderfringe posted:

Are there any tricks for making enhancement easier? I cannot seem to get my head around the timing of the button presses

Start squeezing R2 before pressing the final button so that they will both hit at the same time. You can also kind of spam right trigger and still get the EX for most specials with the input buffering.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I think there are options around the ex timing as well. There are a few things you can toggle that tweak the timing of things in general

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

I find the XBONE Dpad to be complete rear end

Much better time on ps4/5 controller so far

Yeah, Xbox D-Pad has always been rear end. I'm using a PS3 controller on PC cause that's the last console I owned.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol yeah it's a lot of practice to get good, which is usually where I fall off NRS games. Gotta get this combo down, then get it down in practice mode with the AI behavior set to the use case for the combo, then huge leap to using it on other people, then multiply that by several combos and know them well enough to recognize when to use them in a split second in a match.

But I think maybe what someone else told me earlier is more the way to go. Several characters have, like, short combos for 20% that have the same starting points as the long ones, and it's probably better to not worry about getting to those 35-40% behemoths and focus on learning what to punish when and how in real fights.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

hosed up that I can turn off Test Your Mights in the story mode but not in invasions. Never seen an accessibility option be mode limited before.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

PostNouveau posted:

lol yeah it's a lot of practice to get good, which is usually where I fall off NRS games. Gotta get this combo down, then get it down in practice mode with the AI behavior set to the use case for the combo, then huge leap to using it on other people, then multiply that by several combos and know them well enough to recognize when to use them in a split second in a match.

But I think maybe what someone else told me earlier is more the way to go. Several characters have, like, short combos for 20% that have the same starting points as the long ones, and it's probably better to not worry about getting to those 35-40% behemoths and focus on learning what to punish when and how in real fights.

I am not afraid of the man who has practiced tge 40% combo 1000 times, I fear the man who has practiced winning in neutral and oki 1000 times....

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I am not afraid of the man who has practiced tge 40% combo 1000 times, I fear the man who has practiced winning in neutral and oki 1000 times....

This. Having good fundamentals is better than having big combos. You can pick people apart while they spend the entire match fishing for their combos. A lot of bad players will complain about people spamming or not doing combos because they don't know how to deal with basic stuff. Complaining about spamming is especially funny because it means they can't even adapt to one or two basic moves.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Regrettable posted:

This. Having good fundamentals is better than having big combos. You can pick people apart while they spend the entire match fishing for their combos. A lot of bad players will complain about people spamming or not doing combos because they don't know how to deal with basic stuff. Complaining about spamming is especially funny because it means they can't even adapt to one or two basic moves.

It always kills me when someone hits a big damage combo on me and then can't figure out how to block low. I'll happily sit here and do like 10% and win.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Between Nitara in MK1 and Ada in the latest RE4 DLC i can’t tell who’s the worse voice actress,they’re both so terrible in different ways.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I'm not getting MK1 until I can get it on sale with DLC, but I have been playing through the 9,10 and now 11.

Does anyone else like to imagine that Raiden in 9 is always eating really greasy fried chicken? If you haven't noticed it before, look at his face/mouth. I just ate some fried chicken myself and this is what I looked like before I washed my face.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm not getting MK1 until I can get it on sale with DLC, but I have been playing through the 9,10 and now 11.

Does anyone else like to imagine that Raiden in 9 is always eating really greasy fried chicken? If you haven't noticed it before, look at his face/mouth. I just ate some fried chicken myself and this is what I looked like before I washed my face.

"Liu Kang! Oh no! Why did you have to eat that Double Down?"

"You've... killed... us... all..."

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I need to train myself not to constantly jump. I’m always closing the gap by jumping and get punished for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I need to train myself not to constantly jump. I’m always closing the gap by jumping and get punished for it.

It’s the first week of release, just throw out raw shadow kicks from neutral and dare them to block.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Xbox controller with a decent d-pad?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Is anyone else unable to buy the Flame Up Kung Lao skin from the seasonal store? I've been trying to buy it for 3 days and it always gives me an error. Nothing else has done this so far.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I like how the story went to great lengths to explain things like where Li Mei got her big hat, and the entire last chapter is one huge fan wank
started cheereing when The Kombat Kids get effortlessly smacked down
Are the opponents the same for every fighter?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Li Mei doesn't wear a hat.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I keep getting loving dunked on as sub zero online, how do I stop sucking?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Cithen posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Xbox controller with a decent d-pad?

Personally a fan of the Series X dpad, but if you want a classic style one the 8bitdo controllers are pretty good. Their Bluetooth Xbox controller also has Hall effect sticks that don’t drift, which is a nice bonus.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Regrettable posted:

Li Mei doesn't wear a hat.

ASHRAH. gently caress.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

X JAKK posted:

ASHRAH. gently caress.

First post in the thread and you blew up your fan cred. Shameful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Asrah or Li Mei got the best rehab in this one? I like Li Mei as grizzled best cop a lot.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ashrah is kinda whatever in both story and gameplay imo. Li Mei has the benefit of being fun to play but she’s also very one note and forgettable beyond that

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

X JAKK posted:

ASHRAH. gently caress.

regarding the original post there like at least 30 rando mash up/alt reality characters

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Any advice on the Test Your Might tests? I kind of suck at video games. Actually, failing the one in the Invasion introduction was pretty funny.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

Any advice on the Test Your Might tests? I kind of suck at video games. Actually, failing the one in the Invasion introduction was pretty funny.

Mash above the target range and let it fall till you trigger it. It falls in a very steady rate.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Lammasu posted:

Smash your big dumb sausage fingers on all 4 buttons at the same time with your right hand, and push r2 with your left hand

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

X JAKK posted:

Smash your big dumb sausage fingers on all 4 buttons at the same time with your right hand, and push r2 with your left hand

I'm left-handed so I should probably do the reverse.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Either way is fine but def pump it up above where it needs to be and let it drop into place. You should have a near 100% success rate using that method.

E: Also whoever said Invasions are too long was spot on. I cheesed my way through it by putting all stat points into attack and uppercutting my way to victory and it still took almost 3 times as long as beating story mode.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 23, 2023

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I’m actually enjoying this more than I expected as someone who historically has bounced off NRS titles. Story mode through chapter 6 was pretty fun, and then I did some online casual matches and it played well.

Dunno if it’ll have staying power but I’m digging Reptile and Raiden so far and Ashrah seemed neat from her chapter in story mode.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
If you genuinely have trouble mashing buttons for Test Your Might then my advice is to get a small tubular object (Pens work fine, but a chapstick container is perfect) and run it in a circle over your controller

I have slight hand issues and it's been my solution for these kind of things since the SNES days

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Regrettable posted:

Either way is fine but def pump it up above where it needs to be and let it drop into place. You should have a near 100% success rate using that method.

E: Also whoever said Invasions are too long was spot on. I cheesed my way through it by putting all stat points into attack and uppercutting my way to victory and it still took almost 3 times as long as beating story mode.

I could only imagine the slog it would be for the fights to be 2 rounds. Fun idea, but man did it just feel like I was just doing the same thing for like 7 hours.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Unbound posted:

I could only imagine the slog it would be for the fights to be 2 rounds. Fun idea, but man did it just feel like I was just doing the same thing for like 7 hours.

A bunch of the boss fights are including about half of the ones that unlock after you beat it. Some are 3 rounds.

e: Also 7 hours is being generous. It took me at least twelve and I only had two fights that I failed. One I failed once and the other I failed 3 times and had to respec to beat it because the survival gimmick that happened at the start of round 3 did absurd damage. You could maybe cut a couple hours off that if you didn't play every single node like I did.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 23, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

man nurse posted:

Ashrah is kinda whatever in both story and gameplay imo. Li Mei has the benefit of being fun to play but she’s also very one note and forgettable beyond that

Ashrah is super cool but probably a little too complicated for the campaign where you’re just trying to mash through stuff. Great range, low/overhead starters, almost everything is safe, the girl’s got it all. Gotta play her with a hat, though.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Between Nitara in MK1 and Ada in the latest RE4 DLC i can’t tell who’s the worse voice actress,they’re both so terrible in different ways.

had the same thoughts during separate ways lol. ada is at least good in more parts than not but when the not parts hit its like :eyepop: theres something off about the actual voice recording tho or maybe its myset up, shes too quiet.

with ada i think its just a classic case of screen actor doing VO and not quite understanding the difference required/adapting to how its done. i think megan just turned up and got no notes and nrs didnt didnt want to spend more money.

that recent interview with ed boon is funny tho, he loving wanted all characters to be played by someone famous, he wanted keanu reeves for kenshi :getin: the mad lad.

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The invasions are okay as a seasonal gimmick but I hope that they do something to mix it up in the future, maybe some more map features or secrets because it gets a little boring fighting 12 slightly different versions of Baraka. I miss the character towers from MK11, those were a good excuse to grind out some gear and learn a new combo or two.